The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Finally! My perfect little Waves SSL Channel Strip control surface - total cost $75 Control Surfaces
Old 31st July 2015
Lives for gear

Finally! My perfect little Waves SSL Channel Strip control surface - total cost $75

I've wanted something like this for a really long time, but nobody made one so I got creative. For me, trying to EQ with a mouse (and looking at a looking at a graph of my supposed eq curve instead listening) is probably one of my biggest frustrations with mixing in the box. The Waves SSL is one of my main, goto plugins that I use on most channels, and have for a really long time.

I took a Novation Launch Control, bought some replacement knobs, spray painted it, and turned it on end. I was patient and found a new, unopened launch control on ebay for $50. $15 bucks for some replacement knobs, and $8 for some nice spray paint.

I have all the buttons on the channel strip programmed in. The white knob on the lower right is the input trim, then the EQ section is pretty self explanatory, and the top three brown knobs are the compressor section. I don't use the gate so I'm fine with not having knobs for those.

I use Logic X and it is working great! Probably my biggest frustration was not realizing I need separate user template "pages" for the mono and the stereo version of the plugin. Not a huge deal though. So I have four "pages" mapped on the control surface that I cycle between to change between based on the plugin that I'm using. The mono and stereo versions of the SSL channel, and the mono and stereo versions of the API 560b paired with a 2500 compressor.

That's all I use it for right now and am super happy with it.

Thought I'd share since I know I've seen a lot of outcries for something like this.

Old 31st July 2015
Gear Guru

Cool, and creative. Good on you, man!
Old 31st July 2015
Lives for gear

That's killer! How exactly are you approaching the compression/expansion side of it? I feel like I follow it about perfectly until then. Is the expansion left out?
Old 31st July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMan View Post
That's killer! How exactly are you approaching the compression/expansion side of it? I feel like I follow it about perfectly until then. Is the expansion left out?
Yeah, I don't use the expander gate so I was ok with having to leave those out. The top the brown knobs correspond to the compressor. The buttons along the side correspond to the buttons on the plugin.
Old 31st July 2015
Impressive
Old 31st July 2015
Lives for gear

Very cool! I'd love to see more manufactures come out with solutions like this.

Great work.
Old 1st August 2015
Lives for gear
Cool!
You should print a sticker with the SSL layout/graphic and put it on it
i bet you'd sell some
Old 1st August 2015
Gear Nut
Excellent
Old 1st August 2015
Lives for gear

Really cool! That is the kind of thinking outside (or inside) the box that really inspires me! Thank you!

Plugin companies could make proprietary controllers for some of their plugins, especially channel strips. I would LOVE an SSL channel strip controller that is laid out just like the plug. Automatically controls the plugin on the selected track.

Also, they could make rackmount controllers that control the selected plug on the rack. Imagine a CLA76 controller in your rack that controls the CLA76 plug on the selected track (looks just like an 1176). Have a "sticky" button on it so you can select other tracks but still have the plug on the other track. There you have it folks. .. a whole new product line to sell.
Waves, Slate ... just message me if you need my address to cut me a check Or just hire me as a consultant

People could be totally ITB and still have the tactile feel of a traditional OTB studio. They could have racks of these things that look like the real hardware but very inexpensive, say $100-$200 each. Clients will still be impressed with all the "rack gear". A Pultec controller, 1176 control, LA2A controller, SSL Channel controller ....

Last edited by BillSimpkins; 1st August 2015 at 02:04 AM..
Old 1st August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSimpkins View Post

Plugin companies should make proprietary controllers for some of their plugins, especially channel strips. I would LOVE an SSL channel strip controller that is laid out just like the plug. Automatically controls the plugin on the selected
Agreed softube has an ssl plugin/hardware controller out but 999$ is a little steep!
Old 1st August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkster View Post

I've wanted something like this for a really long time, but nobody made one so I got creative. For me, trying to EQ with a mouse (and looking at a looking at a graph of my supposed eq curve instead listening) is probably one of my biggest frustrations with mixing in the box. The Waves SSL is one of my main, goto plugins that I use on most channels, and have for a really long time.

I took a Novation Launch Control, bought some replacement knobs, spray painted it, and turned it on end. I was patient and found a new, unopened launch control on ebay for $50. $15 bucks for some replacement knobs, and $8 for some nice spray paint.

I have all the buttons on the channel strip programmed in. The white knob on the lower right is the input trim, then the EQ section is pretty self explanatory, and the top three brown knobs are the compressor section. I don't use the gate so I'm fine with not having knobs for those.

I use Logic X and it is working great! Probably my biggest frustration was not realizing I need separate user template "pages" for the mono and the stereo version of the plugin. Not a huge deal though. So I have four "pages" mapped on the control surface that I cycle between to change between based on the plugin that I'm using. The mono and stereo versions of the SSL channel, and the mono and stereo versions of the API 560b paired with a 2500 compressor.

That's all I use it for right now and am super happy with it.

Thought I'd share since I know I've seen a lot of outcries for something like this.

Whoa. Very cool.

Good work.
Old 13th August 2015
Gear Head

Does it control the plugin in Pro Tools as well?
Old 13th August 2015
Lives for gear

That's crazy. I swear not even two days ago I was looking at that controller and thinking "You know, I could just flip that thing sideways and it'd work great..."

NEVER thought about adding the knobs though. That's pure class!

(And I'll admit seeing DJ's often flip their various controllers kinda gave me my idea though...)

I've never gotten around to setting up the templates in LPX though. And I'm assuming this isn't using the Smart Controls panels? Is the mapping hard to do? And, outside of having different templates for mono/stereo, different plugs, is it just a matter of opening the plugin and Logic knows it's mapped?

Again great work!

R.

EDIT: P.S. And not to mention the spray painting it grey... ++ class!
Old 13th August 2015
Engagement Manager

Very cool work Funkster!
Old 27th August 2015
Here for the gear

what happened to the pic?
Old 27th August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyED View Post
what happened to the pic?
werd, i wanna see this.
Old 27th August 2015
Lives for gear

Curious if you were able to do anything about the orientation of the pots when you flipped it sideways. From the way the launch control is laid out from the factory and oriented horizontally the stops would be at say 7 oclock full left and 5 oclock full right. Flipped vertically left would be 10 oclock and right would be 8, and I think this would drive me absolutely mad.
Old 27th August 2015
Lives for gear

Cool!

A little Off topic - do you like that tascam M 512 (520?) board?
Old 25th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmbeatz View Post
Cool!

The desk I made for it looks really cool, and is nice to lean against. It's not bad. I actually enjoy using it, it's just that as much as it fun and enjoyable, particularly eying, the hassle gets to me, and non-reacllablility is real issue.
Old 25th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmbeatz View Post
Cool!

The desk I made for it looks really cool, and is nice to lean against. It's not bad. I actually enjoy using it, it's just that as much as it fun and enjoyable, particularly eying, the hassle gets to me, and non-reacllablility is real issue.
Old 27th September 2015
Hi Funkster,
your work is looking really great!
I´m interested in something like this for the Waves SSL as well and am torn between this one and the Novation Nocturn.

How is it working out for you in practice now?
How do you handle the parameter takeover? They are not endless encoders, right? So you have to turn the knob until it picks up the old parameter? How does that feel/is it intuitive?

Also what about the orientation of the pots? When you opened the device, did it seem like the pots would be easy to re-orientate to correspond to the Waves SSL? Or is that not a problem in practice?
Old 27th September 2015
Try using the novation nocturn
Old 27th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangking View Post
Try using the novation nocturn
I use nocturn for everything. Can't beat it!!
Old 27th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
When you say you use it for everything, how are you able to differentiate plugins in your DAW, and have them mapped specifically to Nocturne?
Old 28th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
I agree. Best plugin controller that I know of for anywhere close to a fair price. I got mine for $50 bucks used. One of the best pieces of gear for in the box mixing. Easy to use, I don't know why everyone doesn't have one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
When you say you use it for everything, how are you able to differentiate plugins in your DAW, and have them mapped specifically to Nocturne?
It's actually very easy, as soon as you select a plugin, the nocturn will detect what plugin it is and adjust accordingly. Just make sure its a VST/AU Plugin and you have "added" it to the automap software to recognize it. It (automatically) "automaps" each knob / button on the nocturn, to each plugin parameter. If there are more parameters than knobs on the nocturn, just press the Page +/- button to get to the next parameters (unlimited pages i believe).

It works best when you create your own map of each plugin, that way you can set up your favorite plugins exactly how you like to work. You can then save each plugin map to your computer, and have the map recall seamlessly every time you use it. It's a great tool. I even use it in pro tools 11 hd. Although it is not AAX compatible, use the VST version of any plugin and "Blue Cat's Patchwork" for full plugin control right in pro tools 11! Great alternative to an expensive plugin controller like "Avid Artist Control". If your using cubase or logic the nocturn should work without any problems! Just make sure you get the latest automap beta from novations beta site. The newest beta version will usually be most compatible

heres mine

Old 28th September 2015
Lives for gear

That's amazing. I remember thinking the same thing some time ago. Not about making one but how i wish someone would create a control surface modeled after classic hardware for specific plugs. I honestly believe there's a market for it.
Old 28th September 2015
Does anyone still have a picture of it? Can't seem to see it from the original post anymore :(
Old 28th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuyLocs602 View Post
werd, i wanna see this.
C'mon we wanna SEE THIS mod peeps!

Sorry it's now down below I see!

Last edited by rksguit; 1st October 2015 at 10:59 AM..
Old 28th September 2015
Lives for gear

what do you mean? it is still there..

Funkster, good job by the way!
Old 28th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by almaelectronix View Post
what do you mean? it is still there..

Funkster, good job by the way!
Actually it's not. Unless it's just not showing up for some us?

Anyway I saw it when it was originally posted and it looks great!

I would love to see an answer to previously questions from:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Murdock View Post
Curious if you were able to do anything about the orientation of the pots when you flipped it sideways. From the way the launch control is laid out from the factory and oriented horizontally the stops would be at say 7 oclock full left and 5 oclock full right. Flipped vertically left would be 10 oclock and right would be 8, and I think this would drive me absolutely mad.
And also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
I've never gotten around to setting up the templates in LPX though. And I'm assuming this isn't using the Smart Controls panels? Is the mapping hard to do? And, outside of having different templates for mono/stereo, different plugs, is it just a matter of opening the plugin and Logic knows it's mapped?

Again great work!

R.

EDIT: P.S. And not to mention the spray painting it grey... ++ class!
Thanks Funkster!

R.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search