The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Finally! My perfect little Waves SSL Channel Strip control surface - total cost $75 Control Surfaces
Old 17th February 2016
Gear Addict

The Novation Launch Control is the Stupid Deal of the Day today at Musician's Friend... restock for $50
Old 8th June 2016
I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to thank the OP for the inspiration.
Ive had serious lust for the Softube Console 1, but its been at the max of my budget and on a crazy long backorder.

After seeing this last week, I went ahead and picked up a Launch Control on eBay like new, still in the box, for $30 and its been a godsend.

Now not only do I have a tactile, dedicated controller for my SLLChannel, I have programmed the other 7 other banks to use for all my Neve & API clones i've slowly collected, as well as my classic compressor bundle and other fun inserts ive previously been discouraged in using.

I use this in conjunction with a Faderport so it's so easy now to pull up a track, set a level, press a button and tweak a setting on the 1073/SSL/etc and then immediately switch over to an 1176 or LA2.

It took me sometime to properly midi-map all the controls in reaper, and the USB 2.0 doesn't always play nice with USB 3.0 inputs, but this has changed the way I work on music after recording.

I'm a product of the digital age so I've only really known the ways of the mouse and now this is so much faster, intuitive, and feels right. I've spent so much time studying the science of audio and can now comfortably blend that with the creativity of it.

It's been pretty inspiring to use and im excited to see how this changes the flow for the way I can make music.

I apologize for the rant, but wanted to share my experience in case some other frustrated geek like me is scouring google and can stumble on this as well.

So thanks OP for the such a simple solution to a problem I was waayyyyy overthinking.
Old 22nd June 2016
Lives for gear

Wow, I hadn't realized this thread was still living! Glad everyone digs it. Totally agree with everyone that some specific plugin controllers like this modeled after certain gear would sell like hotcakes if someone could sell them at a reasonable price. If only I had more time I'd do it myself.
Old 22nd June 2016
Lives for gear

What an excellent idea and great ingenuity and creativeness.
Old 23rd June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Murdock View Post
Curious if you were able to do anything about the orientation of the pots when you flipped it sideways. From the way the launch control is laid out from the factory and oriented horizontally the stops would be at say 7 oclock full left and 5 oclock full right. Flipped vertically left would be 10 oclock and right would be 8, and I think this would drive me absolutely mad.
Would also love to know about this!

Similarly, I'm definitely dreading the prospect of having to manually reset the knobs in between opening instances.

It would be amazing if we could simply open an instance of the channel strip, tweak, close the plugin, open another, tweak, and repeat.

However, it looks like we'd have to reset all knobs to zero each time we close an instance of the plugin. Unless, of course, there's something glaringly obvious that I'm missing!

I've been following this thread for a while, and this is really the one thing that's giving me cold feet here. I would absolutely LOVE to have a dedicated channel strip controller.
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
Would also love to know about this!

Similarly, I'm definitely dreading the prospect of having to manually reset the knobs in between opening instances.

It would be amazing if we could simply open an instance of the channel strip, tweak, close the plugin, open another, tweak, and repeat.

However, it looks like we'd have to reset all knobs to zero each time we close an instance of the plugin. Unless, of course, there's something glaringly obvious that I'm missing!

I've been following this thread for a while, and this is really the one thing that's giving me cold feet here. I would absolutely LOVE to have a dedicated channel strip controller.
C

Yes, this is a bit of a nuisance. I don't know that you have to zero it out every time, but you have to move it enough so the plugin knows where the knob is. I got use to it after a bit.
Old 6th August 2016
Here for the gear

Ssl midi controller

Nice! Im do the same thing. But I make This layout for novation launchkey control....
Attached Thumbnails
Finally! My perfect little Waves SSL Channel Strip control surface - total cost -img_7188.jpg  
Old 31st August 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTT BLLONDE View Post
I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to thank the OP for the inspiration.
Ive had serious lust for the Softube Console 1, but its been at the max of my budget and on a crazy long backorder.

After seeing this last week, I went ahead and picked up a Launch Control on eBay like new, still in the box, for $30 and its been a godsend.

Now not only do I have a tactile, dedicated controller for my SLLChannel, I have programmed the other 7 other banks to use for all my Neve & API clones i've slowly collected, as well as my classic compressor bundle and other fun inserts ive previously been discouraged in using.

I use this in conjunction with a Faderport so it's so easy now to pull up a track, set a level, press a button and tweak a setting on the 1073/SSL/etc and then immediately switch over to an 1176 or LA2.

It took me sometime to properly midi-map all the controls in reaper, and the USB 2.0 doesn't always play nice with USB 3.0 inputs, but this has changed the way I work on music after recording.

I'm a product of the digital age so I've only really known the ways of the mouse and now this is so much faster, intuitive, and feels right. I've spent so much time studying the science of audio and can now comfortably blend that with the creativity of it.

It's been pretty inspiring to use and im excited to see how this changes the flow for the way I can make music.

I apologize for the rant, but wanted to share my experience in case some other frustrated geek like me is scouring google and can stumble on this as well.

So thanks OP for the such a simple solution to a problem I was waayyyyy overthinking.
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was wondering how you managed to make it work on specific channels. Like, when you map the knobs to the plugin on channel 1, how do you then control channel two without completely unmapping all the knobs to channel 1 and then remapping them to channel 2? I'm using reaper as well so I'd love to know if you have an even somewhat elegant way of doing it.
Old 31st August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharoro View Post
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was wondering how you managed to make it work on specific channels. Like, when you map the knobs to the plugin on channel 1, how do you then control channel two without completely unmapping all the knobs to channel 1 and then remapping them to channel 2? I'm using reaper as well so I'd love to know if you have an even somewhat elegant way of doing it.
I midi-mapped parameters of the plugin to the encoders using Reaper's "midi-learn" and then changed the settings to let the map be the default for controlling it as well as only control the selected instance of the plugin. So by this, it means that if I have the same plugin on 4 different tracks, turning the encoders will only change the instance of the plugin that is highlighted.

Did that answer your question? I'm away from my studio at the moment so I can't get 100% specific but thats the basic idea.
Old 31st August 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTT BLLONDE View Post
I midi-mapped parameters of the plugin to the encoders using Reaper's "midi-learn" and then changed the settings to let the map be the default for controlling it as well as only control the selected instance of the plugin. So by this, it means that if I have the same plugin on 4 different tracks, turning the encoders will only change the instance of the plugin that is highlighted.

Did that answer your question? I'm away from my studio at the moment so I can't get 100% specific but thats the basic idea.
That makes a lot of sense, I'm just a little unclear on how to set up reaper to only control the selected instance of the plugin. Was it part of SWS or was it something built right into reaper?
Old 10th September 2016
Lives for gear

Nice thinks¡¡
Do you know how work with the Fab Filter Pro-Q?
Old 11th September 2016
Lives for gear

I've been thinking lately that maybe the only real way to go with tactile controllers is one of two basic approaches.

First one is that the controller to have more interaction with what's onscreen. So the knob and screen are either in the same field of view, or you can always tell what knob or slider you're touching by only looking at the screen. Novation's stuff has brushed with this approach, but haven't quite succeeded in my opinion.

The other approach is to have a control surface for each plugin you heavily use in a tactile manner. With proper labels for all the controls. No more switching between templates and not immediately knowing what knob controls what parameter. I'm going to give this one a try. I'm considering putting a table on caster wheels so I can keep half a dozen controllers at hand, but tidily. I also might need to get a USB hub if I don't want to be overrun with cables. Maybe I'll need to put velcro pads on the back of all the controllers too.
Old 22nd October 2016
Gear Maniac

my version...
I'll make a separate thread about the 'build'...
Attached Thumbnails
Finally! My perfect little Waves SSL Channel Strip control surface - total cost -lc1_5.jpg  
Old 16th November 2016
Lives for gear

Did I miss the new thread?
Old 17th November 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydpik View Post
Did I miss the new thread?
here -->
Old 20th November 2016
Lives for gear

The main problem seems to be - how to find a suitable midi Controller, with rotary encoders, that can be DIY'ed into something like the Launch Control.

The only one I can find, that is not too big and at the sametime, has enough knobs to Control a channelstrip - is this one:

https://store.djtechtools.com/produc...ighter-twister

What do you guys think, will it work?
Old 21st November 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydpik View Post

https://store.djtechtools.com/produc...ighter-twister

What do you guys think, will it work?
Sure, why not? The twister seems to have a good build quality as well, not much space around the knobs, but feasible.
Old 29th November 2016
Gear Addict

Whoa that's a good idea. Great work man
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangking View Post
Just make sure you get the latest automap beta from novations beta site. The newest beta version will usually be most compatible
How's 4.10 working for you?

Cheers,

Klemen
Old 25th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulata View Post
How's 4.10 working for you?

Cheers,

Klemen
Havent actually used it in a while but it was working great the last time i used it!
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear
@ Novation. This with encoders please so you don't have to zero out the pots when switching tracks. I think it would solve the plugin controller for a lot of people.
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder View Post
Sure, why not? The twister seems to have a good build quality as well, not much space around the knobs, but feasible.
I meant if it was possible to create something similar for the Twister...
Old 29th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkster View Post

I would really like to give this thread a bump
Amazing idea and amazing job
Have you in the mean time put this idea into a new controller or something with encoders or are you still using it?

I'd really love to have something like this but con like the idea to have knobs instead of encoders

Something with the same firm factor would be ideal like and Arturia Beatstep or similar
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search