The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica audio acqua plugins general discussion
Old 2nd December 2020
Gear Maniac
AA website should contain demos of the sampled units vs. the plugins side-by-side on the same material volume matched. Because there is so much difference between analog hardware devices it'd be a very good and transparent way to present how close the plugin to the original hardware really is.
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Where to go next G?

AA has around 26 channel strips, 17 EQ's, 4 stand alone comps, one delay, one transient, one plate verb, one tape, and one distortion/clipper Acqua. Since the tech's strengths have always been EQ's and verbs I would say you are years overdue in delivering top shelf Acqua verbs with control.

Reverb - Lex 480
Reverb - TC 6000
Reverb - Ursa Space Station
Reverb - RMX16
Reverb - Real spaces or rooms.

After verbs a full filter Acqua would be smart.
+1 on all these. +1000 on the filter acqua. I very much miss the filter and the phaser that were in the demo version of Nebula 3. I haven't bought 4 yet, and kind of prefer the acquas in terms of individual, discrete plugins.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBranam View Post
so what is you guy's favorite drum bus compressor? just wondering...
I always come back to CREAM ! The best powerful glue
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Where to go next G?

AA has around 26 channel strips, 17 EQ's, 4 stand alone comps, one delay, one transient, one plate verb, one tape, and one distortion/clipper Acqua. Since the tech's strengths have always been EQ's and verbs I would say you are years overdue in delivering top shelf Acqua verbs with control.

Reverb - Lex 480
Reverb - TC 6000
Reverb - Ursa Space Station
Reverb - RMX16
Reverb - Real spaces or rooms.

After verbs a full filter Acqua would be smart.
don't forget the Lex 224 ! A must have
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT View Post
dude put away the pitchforks and torches, you don't even know how the user was applying the plugin - I can't spot any obvious flaws in the magenta 5 trial, it's actually really great on a full mix
You’re right, I apologise for the negativity, this isn’t about Magenta at all, it’s about being jumped on when someone has a difference of opinion. Anyway I’ve muted Zaphod too
Deleted e680ec2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMaloogalooga View Post
You’re right, I apologise for the negativity, this isn’t about Magenta at all, it’s about being jumped on when someone has a difference of opinion. Anyway I’ve muted Zaphod too
Actually people going out of the way to say BobMaloogalooga is wrong about Magenta 5's compressor action, and that it is fine are definitely lying on here. It's extremely obvious how much Magenta 5's compressor action (other compressors as well) needs updating. There's a Vari Mu compressor shoot out on youtube, and Magenta's sounds significantly weaker and slower to react.

Instead of lying about how good it works to make Giancarlo feel good & get brownie points, y'all do need to speak up and ask him and his team to improve it, because that's the only thing holding it back. I'm pretty sure they could figure it out, and improve the compressor action once they focus on it, so somebody needed to say something. Their eqs already have that hardware sound, the compressors just need updating now.

Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
you guys need to grow up some lol perception is a funny thing and now both of you have muted each other over a difference of opinion? i did not find anything said as condescending... both were just speaking their peace. i think both need feedback from each other actually and to mute each other for one is childish and second defeats the actual purpose of at least being on this thread... but to each his own. live and learn

well that is my two cents and take it for what it is worth. cheers
Quote:
you guys need to grow up some lol perception is a funny thing and now both of you have muted each other over a difference of opinion?
Agreed with this. If I'm being honest tho, I think its incredibly unprofessional for a company rep to mute somebody at all, none the less for his actual reason in this thread. While I don't always agree with "the customer is always right" mentality, I do think that forums are a place where people come for help when company support doesn't aways help. And in my personal experience, I've had that issue with Acustica before, even recently. So at the end of the day both people can grow up, but seeing a company rep mute someone because they didn't like their feedback is alarming. Customer service goes a LONG way in an industry where there are hundreds if not thousands of other products that can be used. Like advice I was told in the beginning of my career, everyone is replaceable, and that def applies to a plugin company..

To play both sides of the fence tho, I think it's funny that people are still so upset when a plugin doesn't sound 100% like hardware. Like, go buy or rent the hardware then... Plugins, both algo and sampled, sound REALLY good these days. Idk how people who do this full time have time to AB to hardware and complain when it isn't 100% accurate. If it sounds good use it.. If it doesn't, onto the next.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Sorry JBranam and Time2Mix I beg to differ.

Zaphod is not the support guy as he says in his sig. Let him be weird, quirky, idiosyncratic, whatever, that’s where all the good stuff comes from - that brain! You don't have to like the guy or his attitude. I actually don't find him rude but maybe I'm just not sensitive and a bit of a dolt?

AcusticaCM is the right channel for grievances, concerns etc. And he's great at it! He has been put in becuase AA support is...based on a culture foreign to most of us.

I'd also not filter G. Talk about cutting your nose!
Old 2nd December 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hi,
I just saw a live stream of Mike Dean mixing in protools yesterday and his 28core macpro was having cpu spikes with his gainstation plugin.
The session stopped 3 times in a row:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPxLCIuZIlk

I know you mentionned protools is bad at multithreading but isn't there a way to make the plugins smoother?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2mix.com View Post
Agreed with this. If I'm being honest tho, I think its incredibly unprofessional for a company rep to mute somebody at all, none the less for his actual reason in this thread. While I don't always agree with "the customer is always right" mentality, I do think that forums are a place where people come for help when company support doesn't aways help. And in my personal experience, I've had that issue with Acustica before, even recently. So at the end of the day both people can grow up, but seeing a company rep mute someone because they didn't like their feedback is alarming. Customer service goes a LONG way in an industry where there are hundreds if not thousands of other products that can be used. Like advice I was told in the beginning of my career, everyone is replaceable, and that def applies to a plugin company..

To play both sides of the fence tho, I think it's funny that people are still so upset when a plugin doesn't sound 100% like hardware. Like, go buy or rent the hardware then... Plugins, both algo and sampled, sound REALLY good these days. Idk how people who do this full time have time to AB to hardware and complain when it isn't 100% accurate. If it sounds good use it.. If it doesn't, onto the next.
I can better explain the idea of mute.
I do not do it because I want to silence the other person, but to avoid getting too personal.
When another person attacks me on a personal level (talking about behavior for example, or defining me "unprofessional" like in this case) my human reaction would be to respond abruptly. But I don't want to do that and I prefer to avoid to continue to deepen the exchange.
Usually I don't say this (the option is invisible), but if up to five seconds before we were discussing a problem, it is likely that a question will come to me and I don't want to appear rude!
For all the ritual questions we have other people trying to answer, so I think there is no lack of a channel of communication.
I have noticed over time that as CEO I am unfortunately the object of the most offensive criticism, regardless of my intention and response. I have noticed that even when we say the same thing and in a similar way I am more likely to receive criticism than Mariano for example: I accept it, it is part of my role to become the recipient of criticism, but I have the impression that too often we are falling on a personal level. This is the reason why I prefer to avoid turning the conversation into a fight! When we only talk about technical problems, I hardly escape the discussion!

Last edited by zaphod; 2nd December 2020 at 07:36 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakline View Post
AA website should contain demos of the sampled units vs. the plugins side-by-side on the same material volume matched. Because there is so much difference between analog hardware devices it'd be a very good and transparent way to present how close the plugin to the original hardware really is.
This is a good idea indeed. We'll have more in the future
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
you guys need to grow up some lol perception is a funny thing and now both of you have muted each other over a difference of opinion? i did not find anything said as condescending... both were just speaking their peace. i think both need feedback from each other actually and to mute each other for one is childish and second defeats the actual purpose of at least being on this thread... but to each his own. live and learn

well that is my two cents and take it for what it is worth. cheers
You are absolutely right, and I have never found a single person who has offended me, professionally, by speaking to me in person in a normal conversation. Unfortunately, forums are places where it is easy to get offended and be offended, because you cannot look the other person in the eye. I think the best behavior is to try to avoid entering into a conflictual discussion. For various reasons at certain times in their lives some people, in a reciprocal way, may be susceptible to entering into an unattractive conversation on the web.
Every once in a while, try a simple test: take a post from this critical forum about a developer and try to pretend that it is directed at you. Sincerely, calculate your reaction!
Everything was born for an answer I published in a group and that they called "elegant". The idea was about double-checking the way it was perceived. What I suggested was to try the trial versions, an action that was also suggested by AcusticaCM and that didn't arouse any response. Here the reaction was very different!
In another one I was criticized for saying something that would not have offended anyone if I were a user: that is to use the tools we have, enhance them and often we have too many options. It was immediately misinterpreted and so on. Take the first answer and try, for once, to imagine that it is addressed to you eh eh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomick View Post
Thanks, I did find it now. Celestial I can't decide on... the drive section, once level matched, I'm not sure if I think it is improving things. It definitely glues things but seems to lose the transients too, so it's a tradeoff I guess with that section of the plugin.
Yes it soften things a bit, agreed
Old 2nd December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
all I gotta say is if everyone likes you then you're doing something wrong
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.frad View Post
Hi,
I just saw a live stream of Mike Dean mixing in protools yesterday and his 28core macpro was having cpu spikes with his gainstation plugin.

I know you mentionned protools is bad at multithreading but isn't there a way to make the plugins smoother?
He works at 88. Even the most light of our plugins is CPU intensive at 88!
The high number of cores is not helpful if the buffer is low, especially on Macs, especially in PT. Luckily Apple moved recently to these silicon processors, balancing the (good) situation we have on Windows
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT;15****52
all I gotta say is if everyone likes you then you're doing something wrong
:D
Deleted e680ec2
Ok in the meantime I need everybody in here to FOCUS. Just keep listing the hardware emulations/plugins you would like to see from Acustica to help you finish your mix so we can get more stuff done faster. As I have gotten a lot closer to finishing this mix, there's a few walls I have hit and just had to find other ways to deal with it. I would like to mix with only Acustica plugins, I don't like putting sample based plugins after my acustica plugins, it ruins the point. Ok Giancarlo I don't know if you have me blocked or whatever, and I don't care because I know you read my comments anyway.

1- We need an Acustica Audio bundle of limiters/Maximizers. I don't like mixing/mastering with Acustica audio plugins and then putting sample based plugins at the end of the mastering chain because it decreases some of the 3D depth given to it by the Acustica plugins. I don't want to finish my mix without one, but I will if I have to.

2- Waveshaper: I usually create a chain of Acustica plugins to give the drums more punch using combinations of eqs with the preamps, but a waveshaper plugin would make creating more aggressive sounds faster.

3- Tape machines for the 2 bus: Taupe is a great plugin, but I'm finding out it isn't quite suitable for the 2 bus as it is harsh on mixes with high frequencies. I wish Acustica would make more plugins to put in the Taupe bundle that samples tape machines and their features like how T-Racks did. But y'alls convolution is better so it would sound even better, and not be as intensive on the cpu, I think. You all definitely can't let T-Racks beat y'all at sampling tape machines using your own method.

4- Last but not least, I wish there were more mid/side compressors: I've been waiting for the Neve 33609 compressor to be added to Gold 4/5. Gold 4 has a mid side eq now, but it lacks the mid side compressor to control the mid and side frequencies after I altered them. For now Ultramarine's mid side sounds good.

Those are the roadblocks I'm facing. Will already brought up Reverb, which I'm lacking as well. Ultramarine's reverb sounds good, but other options would help a lot.
Gear Addict

On a positive note - I just picked up Diamond Lift in the sale with my extra discount...

Can wait to put it on the old mix bus and see what transpires!

Thinking of taking one of my standardclip stages out of the chain and slipping this in.

Anyone have a preference for placement/use?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
you are preaching to the choir zaphod i have/had my share of unwanted and undue abuse lol i worked as a supervisor about the last 20 years of my working career... EVERYTHING was my fault even when it wasn't lol

i do understand not wanting to be agitated so as to prevent popping off... do that every day it seems especially now that it seems everyone and their brother WANTS to find something to be offended by but also take into account optics on how it looks to new customers and possible some old ones too. i have learned... or have tried to learn... look at the source. generally speaking you will usually KNOW who you need to ignore over time. trust me... i have a short fuse and can easily go off when i really don't want to engage. no one needs added stress or agitation even without the condition we are all under right now no matter where we are in the world.

anyways... take what i say with a grain of salt. i mean no harm to anyone (unless they prove they are in fact tryin to harm me... then all bets are off) i was just trying to spread some reason. it took a long time for me to get a little wiser so i am just trying to spread the wealth. cheers and keep up the good work. just remember nothing is ever perfect and no one can please everyone ALL the time.
Gear Maniac

A touch of Coral EQ on the bus stems is

Just brought my mix to life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
I can better explain the idea of mute
Fair enough. Your explanation makes sense tho regarding muting customers, which is all I was talking about. I'd love to mute some of my clients but I don't have the luxury of doing that lol.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
you are preaching to the choir zaphod i have/had my share of unwanted and undue abuse lol i worked as a supervisor about last 20 years of my working career... EVERYTHING was my fault even when it wasn't lol

i do understand not wanting to be agitated so as to prevent popping off... do that every day it seems especially now that it seems everyone and their brother WANTS to find something to be offended by something. but also take into account optics on how it looks to new customers and possible some old ones too. i have learned... or have tried to learn... look at the source. generally speaking you will usually KNOW who you need to ignore over time. trust me... i have a short fuse and can easily go off when i really don't want to engage. no one needs added stress or agitation even without the condition we are all under right now no matter where we are in the world.

anyways... take what i say with a grain of salt. i mean no harm to anyone (unless they prove they are in fact tryin to harm me... then all bets are off) i was just trying to spread some reason. it took a long time for me to get a little wiser so i am just trying to spread the wealth. cheers and keep up the good work. just remember nothing is ever perfect and no one can please everyone ALL the time.
ahahah you're really right!
The truth is that things have really been going well lately. It is absolutely normal to receive criticism, and it is also human to be offended. Honestly I don't take much offense, after so many years of being here I am quite used to even harsh criticism.

Things are changing anyway.
- On the one hand, it is very rare to receive criticism today, whereas it was the norm when I left. Probably at that time things were going very badly indeed

- lately, I see less and less elegant trying to respond to a criticism move on a personal level. In the past I was ready for a fistfight on the web, today it seems out of place. I don't have the time to do it, it is out of place and honestly, it is much less elegant with a company that is no longer composed of me but of many employees, and it is a sign of respect towards them. I have also lost with time the desire to be always right.

My point of view is that we as product developers are wrong. The truth is that we do our best to meet requests, create tools, solve problems, and meet users' needs. When we get criticism is because something went wrong, and my first reaction is to assume that the problem is more on our side than on the user side.
My job here, however, is also to try to bring our point of view, to convey empathically (and here I obviously fail more than any other person, often) our position on a topic. For example, take the case of Magenta: it would be enormously easy to promise improvements, but I like to be honest and make a promise when we have already found a better solution for the user who makes a request. Often someone tells me that we are a bit strange and we give unconventional answers to requests. But the point is that we just try to be brutally honest, and not generate false expectations.
Our method is different from the one used by other developers but it's not always the right way for everyone. We have been saying for a long time that the emulation of hardware is a complex matter and that we learn every day how to improve the process.
Mine, once again, is an invitation to try the trial versions before buying them, just to evaluate if what we are doing meets your requirements. I'd much rather have fewer users and live a relaxed life trying to improve what we do without stress than having many users but living from day to day behind promises of things we still don't understand how to achieve. My job, therefore, is to curb the enthusiasm, answer that one thing we are not doing when in fact we are not doing it, and on the contrary give updates on our progress. Those who have been following us for a long time will have noticed a considerable acceleration in the development of new products and technology, in the improvement of our models and I am here to take inspiration and understand what is perceived as still not enough. At the same time, I try to advise you to go slowly, evaluate our products, and kindly ask you not to put pressure on us to solve some problems that are particularly urgent for you. In the rush to give you a solution we may forget other problems, equally urgent that affect other people, and in the confusion, we would only have chaos.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hey all,

What Acqua compressors run in dual mono mode?

Something I'm interested in experimenting with and would like to find some decent compressors that have the functionality built in (as it's a right pain to do in Cubase with stereo tracks if they don't).
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
that would be nice to know off hand

p.s. just found out that it looks like you lose 'likes' when you go back and edit grammatical errors? lol sry if this is not right
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.frad View Post
Hi,

Hi! I saw a screenshot of his specs somewhere, and regarding Acustica performance more RAM or more CPU cores do not necessarily mean better performance, due to threads must be synchronized to finish the processes. Also, I remember seeing a Xeon processor which according to our tests performs a slow thread synchronization.
Regarding Pro-Tools, it's not possible for a plugin (slave) to make the host work in a more efficient way.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaCM View Post
Hi! I saw a screenshot of his specs somewhere, and regarding Acustica performance more RAM or more CPU cores do not necessarily mean better performance, due to threads must be synchronized to finish the processes. Also, I remember seeing a Xeon processor which according to our tests performs a slow thread synchronization.
Regarding Pro-Tools, it's not possible for a plugin (slave) to make the host work in a more efficient way.
In ableton, on my i9 gainstation definitely takes cpu but it's pretty low compared to other acquas.
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT View Post
In ableton, on my i9 gainstation definitely takes cpu but it's pretty low compared to other acquas.
We are looking at some particular cases, but in general, the CPU hit is normal to low as you said compared to other Acquas (considering it is an all in one distortion+preamps+clipper+stereo widener).
Old 3rd December 2020
Gear Head
Puh. This vendor criticism is getting far too loud. Some days ago I was reading about Steven Slate being heavily criticised, now Giancarlo... If I was a company's head that would really take me down - and pull me back from doing my best work for customers also.

Just speaking in general, people seem to take their own personal problems for way to serious. It would maybe be better like this:
- Post real problems as support tickets
- Keep the rest for ourselves ( ... everyone has some probs here and there! ... )
- Let's be productive here.
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by philburns View Post
people seem to take their own personal problems for way to serious.
imo it started back in the 80s... in general kids were taught at least here in the states to think of themselves first and people stopped disciplining their kids and 'trying to talk sense to a three year old' then you had the advent of the internet where those same kids became less social and add to that the advent of the cell phone and cameras... those children grew up to be self centered and thought the world actually revolved around them.

i try very hard to think and tell myself it is not all their fault... they were trained and brought up to think that way. so for most of them selfishness and being self centered is all there is. not trying to be asinine here but a person of age can certainly tell those that are 40 yrs old or younger... very few of them even take others into account and it shows in the world today. i understand most parents were trying to do what is best for their child in getting it to think of itself and look out for itself but it went to the extreme imo sometimes things don't always work out for the best and i can only hope somehow people will get back to actually caring about others and not this fake sjw world where virtue signaling is all you get. i think we can ALL do better at that... caring that is.

okay enough of my philosophizing lol your comment just struck a nerve and being an old man now maybe someone will listen to experience and reason. but in the same breath i know people 40 yrs and younger will find offence in my words... sadly it IS what they do. of course this is just my opinion from what i have lived through.

cheers and may God bless us all... we certainly could use some.
📝 Reply