The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica audio acqua plugins general discussion
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post

For example, I only ever want 48 and I would really like to remove the three others.
Yes me too, i only want 48k. And as for saving space this is a great option.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I do not rule out the possibility that this could happen in the future, and among other things perhaps lead to a greater division of products into bundles, dividing some products into by-products.
The thing that a bit 'slowed us down is the greater complexity derived from testing and updating products to be divided into several frequency packs, which could lead to an exponential increase in testing time and bugfixes.
This in turn could lead to a price increase.
After all, someone just wrote that disk space consumption should not be a problem.
If you analyze feedback carefully, there are two opposing thought streams
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
I do not rule out the possibility that this could happen in the future, and among other things perhaps lead to a greater division of products into bundles, dividing some products into by-products.
The thing that a bit 'slowed us down is the greater complexity derived from testing and updating products to be divided into several frequency packs, which could lead to an exponential increase in testing time and bugfixes.
This in turn could lead to a price increase.
After all, someone just wrote that disk space consumption should not be a problem.
If you analyze feedback carefully, there are two opposing thought streams
That was me, my point was that reliability is way more important than disk space in this day and age especially.
But if you are getting requests to make the packages smaller this is a great option.
I didn't realize that you actually take different sample sets at different sample rates. Why wouldn't you just take 96k and knock it down to 88,48, and 44.1? You test the 96 and all is good no?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

i have to agree that individual packs would help i think giving folks their choice. i mainly use just 44.1 and 48... but if need be i could grab larger rates when needed or requested. that way i wouldn't have to purge to save space on occasion. cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

With 48kHz popping up again, any news on the missing 48kHz/88.2 packs for Aquamarine4, Big Ceil, Cola2, Cream2, Honey3, Navy2, Sand3, Titanium3?

It seems like something that should not take that much time to create (please help me explain, are these conversions hard?), yet there still doesn't seem to be much progress since 3 months ago.

Don't wanna be the guy constantly posting about the same thing, but I would like to be able to use these plugins I bought. I'll take the extra disk space for the other sample rate, most of which I never use. Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWollaert View Post
With 48kHz popping up again, any news on the missing 48kHz/88.2 packs for Aquamarine4, Big Ceil, Cola2, Cream2, Honey3, Navy2, Sand3, Titanium3?

It seems like something that should not take that much time to create (please help me explain, are these conversions hard?), yet there still doesn't seem to be much progress since 3 months ago.

Don't wanna be the guy constantly posting about the same thing, but I would like to be able to use these plugins I bought. I'll take the extra disk space for the other sample rate, most of which I never use. Thanks.
Hi Tom, I can't comment on the difficulty or time it takes to release the missing sample packs but I assure you that each one of them has been reported and they are a priority for us.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

i know i speak for myself and many others... please don't take our agitation the wrong way. if we did not care for or appreciate the company, your work OR the product we WOULDN'T own them. cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep

We would like to clarify for a moment the 'alleged' problem with GOLD4.
To date, the users who have downloaded GOLD4 are nearly 1500.
Out of these only 1 person has reported possible backward compatibility problems via our support desk. After many tests, we have concluded this is not the case.

The Gold3 plug-in included in the Gold4 upgrade is perfectly compatible with the older Gold 3. Specifically, almost all files are identical to the November 2019 version, except of course for the additional files for the new EQ model (8115) of GOLD4 EQ and also the missing two files of a preamp model in GOLD3 at 48/88.2 kHz, that were fixed with the release of GOLD4.

As usual, we thank you for your feedback
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaCM View Post
We would like to clarify for a moment the 'alleged' problem with GOLD4.
To date, the users who have downloaded GOLD4 are nearly 1500.
Out of these only 1 person has reported possible backward compatibility problems via our support desk. After many tests, we have concluded this is not the case.

The Gold3 plug-in included in the Gold4 upgrade is perfectly compatible with the older Gold 3. Specifically, almost all files are identical to the November 2019 version, except of course for the additional files for the new EQ model (8115) of GOLD4 EQ and also the missing two files of a preamp model in GOLD3 at 48/88.2 kHz, that were fixed with the release of GOLD4.

As usual, we thank you for your feedback
I think my issue was that gold 4 is core 16 and upon install it turns gold 3 into core 16(which is ridiculous), i have similar problems with Erin which is only core 16.

Why don't they fix the Gold 8093/ 8193 graphics to read right?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Hi Tom, I can't comment on the difficulty or time it takes to release the missing sample packs but I assure you that each one of them has been reported and they are a priority for us.
Really glad to see them coming 😃
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thank you, that's all I wanted to hear.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hmm did anyone notice CEIL is incredibly aggressive when compression is on? I hear noticeable squashing with threshold set to 0 and input cranked all the way to the left. Am I crazy? Is it possible my input signal is somehow impossibly hot?

Another comment is the meters do not work at all on ceil. There's no GR indicated when there's clearly GR going on. Meanwhile the output shows like -24 and my meter shows peaks at 7 or so. LOL
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle View Post
Anyone else using Erin Mid EQ? I find it doesn't work on a mono track(mutes the track) unless it's set to mid, LR doesn't work like on other plugs.
Hmm you know I seem to remember using the Erin (ERINCOMPST) strip, channels linked, and finding weirdness where the left side was progressively quieter (or out of phase?) than the right side when the threshold was really being pushed.

Going to file a ticket actually!
(EDIT TICKET NUMBER #18083 )
Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT View Post
Hmm did anyone notice CEIL is incredibly aggressive when compression is on? I hear noticeable squashing with threshold set to 0 and input cranked all the way to the left. Am I crazy? Is it possible my input signal is somehow impossibly hot?

Another comment is the meters do not work at all on ceil. There's no GR indicated when there's clearly GR going on. Meanwhile the output shows like -24 and my meter shows peaks at 7 or so. LOL
Try reinstalling it, the GR meters should work and the compressor is lovely. Make sure you're entering the plugin around -18 dbfs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Try reinstalling it, the GR meters should work and the compressor is lovely. Make sure you're entering the plugin around -18 dbfs.
yes the reinstall definitely fixed it, thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Gotta amplify using proper levels there is a huge sweet spot and I use Hornet VU routinely to read actual levels.

You may be surprised at the difference between your metering in your DAW and actual levels. Obviously non pro user here lol!...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Gotta amplify using proper levels there is a huge sweet spot and I use Hornet VU routinely to read actual levels.

You may be surprised at the difference between your metering in your DAW and actual levels. Obviously non pro user here lol!...
Yeah I had to use bx_meter to find the RMS -18, even then I'm not convinced the CEIL meters correspond properly, but the compression is much better behaved after the reinstall.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post

For anyone new to using Acquas - the first thing I do with a new Acqua is give it a quick test with varying input levels. The sweetspot for each can be surprisingly different (probably because the sweetspot for each piece of gear sampled is surprisingly different).

You can assume with most algo plugin companies that the desired input level of their plugs will be consistent because they were all made in house, from scratch by a (mostly) consistent team. But Acustica is sampling gear from vastly different manufacturers . . . gear that was designed and built in hugely varying eras. To expect them all to want the exact same input level is crazy.

Make no assumptions. Test a wide range of input levels for each Acqua independently. Make a note (mental or otherwise) of your findings.

Last edited by wjmwpg; 4 weeks ago at 07:28 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru
I’ve been shocked at how low the levels are that Hornet shows as out of red zone and how much more detail is in the 2buss. The analogue vs digital thread was mainly about gain staging and less is more with the amazing noise floor we have...

Hugely liberating in recording where Tape you really needed to ride levels.
Hated that when self recording...,
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

as a hangover from my tape days i still record with a very healthy gain, and usually bounce between -3/-1.5db the newer aqua inputs usually default around -18db so i figure i don't need much adjustment there, unless i'm missing something?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
For anyone new to using Acquas - the first thing I do with a new Acqua is give it a quick test with varying input levels. The sweetspot for each can be surprisingly different (probably because the sweetspot for each piece of gear sampled is surprisingly different).

You can assume with most algo plugin companies that the desired input level of their plugs will be consistent because they were all made in house, from scratch by a (mostly) consistent team. But Acustica is sampling gear from vastly different manufacturers . . . gear that was designed and built in hugely varying eras. To expect them all to want the exact same input level is crazy.

Make no assumptions. Test a wide range of input levels for each Acqua independently. Make a note (mental or otherwise) of your findings.
I would love to see the same input/output graphs for sweet spots published in the manuals as they do to illustrate how the eq's/comp ratios/etc work.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex1 View Post
as a hangover from my tape days i still record with a very healthy gain, and usually bounce between -3/-1.5db the newer aqua inputs usually default around -18db so i figure i don't need much adjustment there, unless i'm missing something?
***In my personal experience***, you’ll be safe with the plugins that have a default -18dB input trim, but, depending on the particular Acqua, you might not be “in the sweet spot”. And of course “the sweet spot” is to some degree subjective. All the more reason to test them yourself after purchase. It really kills three birds with one stone. 1. You find out how far you can push the plugin before it breaks. Anyone who works with any kind of tool should know the limitations of those tools. 2. You can find the sweet spot (or spots depending on your goals). 3. You’ll get a good feel for the unit’s tone, and the breadth, variations, versatility and/or limitations of that tone.

Seriously, we’re talking 2-5 minutes of throwing some varying material at a plugin, at various levels, and taking note of the results.

Assume nothing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT View Post
I would love to see the same input/output graphs for sweet spots published in the manuals as they do to illustrate how the eq's/comp ratios/etc work.
It wouldn’t hurt necessarily, but I don’t think it’d be an adequate replacement for the end user spending 5 minutes to find out for themselves - see my previous response to Flex1 above for my reasoning on this.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
***In my personal experience***, you’ll be safe with the plugins that have a default -18dB input trim, but, depending on the particular Acqua, you might not be “in the sweet spot”. And of course “the sweet spot” is to some degree subjective. All the more reason to test them yourself after purchase. It really kills three birds with one stone. 1. You find out how far you can push the plugin before it breaks. Anyone who works with any kind of tool should know the limitations of those tools. 2. You can find the sweet spot (or spots depending on your goals). 3. You’ll get a good feel for the unit’s tone, and the breadth, variations, versatility and/or limitations of that tone.

Seriously, we’re talking 2-5 minutes of throwing some varying material at a plugin, at various levels, and taking note of the results.

Assume nothing.
yeah, the whole -18db/0db/fs/vu input discussion that was had threw me a little, the more i delved into it the more confused i got! so went back to my ears. as long as you're not clipping inputs/outputs you should be fine, been using acquas for a while now and pretty much know their varying strengths and weaknesses. sweet spots are indeed subjective, sometimes mythical and often source dependent, so if you dial in the settings and you're pleased with the how the results sound then i'd say you're in the sweet spot!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Agreed. -

But I always seem to enjoy the AA even more when I push their input/preamp about 6bd or more...so, in general I go in at -18 but enjoy pushing it inside the plugin.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianL View Post
Agreed. -

But I always seem to enjoy the AA even more when I push their input/preamp about 6bd or more...so, in general I go in at -18 but enjoy pushing it inside the plugin.
I did a test when COFFEE came out. It has a -18dB input by default. I was amazed how far I could (and should) push that level to get what I thought was the best tone out of that plugin. Because of the initial 18dB reduction, your level going into COFFEE would have to be insanely hot to hit that plug where (I personally believe) its sweetspot is. If you normally have your tracks peaking at 6-12dB in the red (above zero!!!) then the -18dB input is perfect. But if you have a track peaking at any kind of sane level the -18dB input trim is too much to tickle that plug properly . . . and sadly I don't imagine everyone is taking the time to find this out for themselves.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianL View Post
Agreed. -

that +6db push sounds about right to me too, on taupe for instance thats when you start to really notice the tape compression
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I did a test when COFFEE came out. It has a -18dB input by default. I was amazed how far I could (and should) push that level to get what I thought was the best tone out of that plugin. Because of the initial 18dB reduction, your level going into COFFEE would have to be insanely hot to hit that plug where (I personally believe) its sweetspot is. If you normally have your tracks peaking at 6-12dB in the red (above zero!!!) then the -18dB input is perfect. But if you have a track peaking at any kind of sane level the -18dB input trim is too much to tickle that plug properly . . . and sadly I don't imagine everyone is taking the time to find this out for themselves.
is that specific to COFFEE ?
i ask because the PINK4 manual (for example) states that the Acqua/Nebula convention is -18 on input levels before entering the plugin:

Quote:
NOTE: Please keep in mind that for each plug-in in the Pink4 suite we recommended that you calibrate your input levels to the usual Acqua/Nebula convention: -18dBFS = 0VU; this way you will avoid any unwanted distortion or unpredictable behavior due to an excessively high input level.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraByte View Post
is that specific to COFFEE ?
i ask because the PINK4 manual (for example) states that the Acqua/Nebula convention is -18 on input levels before entering the plugin:
It's not specific to Coffee. Many Acqua plugs open with the input level knob already set to a default state of -18dB. So if you're already going into the plugin at a nice conservative level respecting the -18dBFS = -0VU convention your signal is now going to be reduced another 18dB as it enters the plug.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
It's not specific to Coffee. Many Acqua plugs open with the input level knob already set to a default state of -18dB. So if you're already going into the plugin at a nice conservative level respecting the -18dBFS = -0VU convention your signal is now going to be reduced another 18dB as it enters the plug.
so much for "Acqua/Nebula convention". thanks for the clarification. having read that in the manual, i didnt double checked all AA plugins
📝 Reply