The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Acustica audio acqua plugins general discussion
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Giancarlo said on Facebook they sampled an SSL Fusion "months ago" but no ETA yet
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakline View Post
Giancarlo said on Facebook they sampled an SSL Fusion "months ago" but no ETA yet
Holy snikeys!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did he say that? I recall a few users saying they wished it would be sampled, but I never saw Giancarlo say that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would absolutely flip my wig if AA released Fusion. Probably my dream piece now, moreso than a LTL SB.

Crimson is great, but a Silver Bullet or Fusion would be icing on the cake for me.

8068 + Fusion = heaven.

And maybe a Lex 224 if they get around to it. :D
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Did he say that? I recall a few users saying they wished it would be sampled, but I never saw Giancarlo say that.
Attached Thumbnails
Acustica audio acqua plugins general discussion-screen-shot-2019-09-22-2.48.22-am.png  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I nominate SANDBOX as the name for the Ess Ess El foo shun plugin. Because, it's just a little bit of sand not the whole damn beach!

While we are talking about new plugins, pleeeeease release a preamps only plugin. I want to finally uninstall Slate VCC and Waves NLS. It really just needs two settings: clean and slightly overdriven. Maybe REALLY overdriven for any ess ess L samples but the other console line inputs not so much.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
Nice! That's awesome. Thank you for proving me wrong too (no sarcasm as I'm glad they've sampled that awesome unit).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
I nominate SANDBOX as the name for the Ess Ess El foo shun plugin. Because, it's just a little bit of sand not the whole damn beach!

While we are talking about new plugins, pleeeeease release a preamps only plugin. I want to finally uninstall Slate VCC and Waves NLS. It really just needs two settings: clean and slightly overdriven. Maybe REALLY overdriven for any ess ess L samples but the other console line inputs not so much.
My wish also
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

whats the deal with this - couldnt understand any of it

is this modula ready now or close to market ?

what are those touchpads - how much coin are they to get going ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaenr View Post
Hi Gearslutz guys, my first post here ;-)

I bet with you the next AA release will be M4 Modula!

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Acustica noob ques.

1) Is there an easy chart somewhere that converts all the color names (ie: emerald) to all the gear it is supposed to emulate? (never mind, found it!).

2) Is there a centralized FAQ or something like that where a lot of acustica ques are dealt with that doesn't require searching through thousands of pages of posts?

3) I'm guessing a lot of folks use a separate computer (ie: mac mini, kinda like UAD Satellites) from their DAW for Acustica plugs so there's less CPU issues. Also makes it possible to treat it more 'like hardware' and process it with outboard before and after to make it sound more 'physical'. But it also means another DA/AD conversion. Any thoughts on this? Is it worth it?

Last edited by fromthepuggle; 2 weeks ago at 07:49 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
i9 9900k rocking aqua plugins with no other pc needed. About 2% for Navy at 44khz
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthepuggle View Post
Acustica noob ques.

1) Is there an easy chart somewhere that converts all the color names (ie: emerald) to all the gear it is supposed to emulate?

2) Is there a centralized FAQ or something like that where a lot of acustica ques are dealt with that doesn't require searching through thousands of pages of posts?

3) I'm guessing a lot of folks use a separate computer (ie: mac mini, kinda like UAD Satellites) from their DAW for Acustica plugs so there's less CPU issues. Also makes it possible to treat it more 'like hardware' and process it with outboard before and after to make it sound more 'physical'. But it also means another DA/AD conversion. Any thoughts on this? Is it worth it?
1) https://justpaste.it/AcusticaAudioAcquaMasterList

2) No. I recommend you follow Facebook groups and these threads on a regular basis.

3) I use reaper and I tried to go back, but it was not stable and gave more trouble. It is best to try to create a workflow by freezing tracks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Acustica noob ques.]

3) I'm using 2 computers. They are linked via ADAT in/out. I usually process my drums and vocals on the slave computer. Works pretty nice.

Last edited by Avgatzeblouz; 2 weeks ago at 10:33 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Acustica noob ques.

1) Is there an easy chart somewhere that converts all the color names (ie: emerald) to all the gear it is supposed to emulate? (never mind, found it!).

I'm glad you found "the list"

As for #3 , I have been doing a pre-mix for over 15 years now. Well before I had even heard of Acustica Audio. Basically, the processor intensive plugins get applied in a small mix when I am fiddling with drums/bass editing and vocal comping. Very few Acustica Audio plugins get used on my final mix sessions because they are used during that "pre-mix"...which simulates the gear I would use if I were recording with expensive audio gear.

So, a typical plugin chain would be:

Fabfilter Pro-Q for high pass filtering and resonance cuts. --> PINK, GOLD or NAVY --> Compressor (not too heavy on gain reduction except on bass and some vocals) --> MAYBE another EQ --> tape plugin --> console line input plugin.

Again, this would be the exact same chain I would use if I were rich. Clean EQ = ideal microphone. PINK = API preamp and equalizer, Gold = vintage Neve and NAVY = AMS Neve. Follow that with say an 1176, Tube-Tech CL1B or Distressor (which actually I do own one of them). Then a nice 16 or 24 track Studer or MCI tape machine. FINALLY, these are all then fed into a sweet balanced line input on a vintage large format console (mixing board).

These files are bounced at their original (native) sample rate and into a 32-bit floating point file. All of these are then imported into a new project/session.

All the benefits of Acustica Audio plugins without the CPU hogging, RAM sucking and potential crashes. I <3 AA's stuff but I am not going to pussy foot around the fact that there are still underlying issues that make it so I do not trust using them in large (over 24 tracks) mixes. Anything Core 12 and up is quite stable though...at least on my system. But I still am VERY cautious with each and every mix.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm glad you found "the list"

As for #3 , I have been doing a pre-mix for over 15 years now. Well before I had even heard of Acustica Audio. Basically, the processor intensive plugins get applied in a small mix when I am fiddling with drums/bass editing and vocal comping. Very few Acustica Audio plugins get used on my final mix sessions because they are used during that "pre-mix"...which simulates the gear I would use if I were recording with expensive audio gear.

So, a typical plugin chain would be:

Fabfilter Pro-Q for high pass filtering and resonance cuts. --> PINK, GOLD or NAVY --> Compressor (not too heavy on gain reduction except on bass and some vocals) --> MAYBE another EQ --> tape plugin --> console line input plugin.

Again, this would be the exact same chain I would use if I were rich. Clean EQ = ideal microphone. PINK = API preamp and equalizer, Gold = vintage Neve and NAVY = AMS Neve. Follow that with say an 1176, Tube-Tech CL1B or Distressor (which actually I do own one of them). Then a nice 16 or 24 track Studer or MCI tape machine. FINALLY, these are all then fed into a sweet balanced line input on a vintage large format console (mixing board).

These files are bounced at their original (native) sample rate and into a 32-bit floating point file. All of these are then imported into a new project/session.

All the benefits of Acustica Audio plugins without the CPU hogging, RAM sucking and potential crashes. I <3 AA's stuff but I am not going to pussy foot around the fact that there are still underlying issues that make it so I do not trust using them in large (over 24 tracks) mixes. Anything Core 12 and up is quite stable though...at least on my system. But I still am VERY cautious with each and every mix.
What's your suggestion for tape in every channel? Taupe is not cpu friendly for this kind of use.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
What's your suggestion for tape in every channel? Taupe is not cpu friendly for this kind of use.
With this pre-mix method I am now using Slate Digital VTM, IK Tape Machine Collection or U-he Satin.

IK's is a CPU hog but I love the way it sounds. I also love the way Slate's sounds but it is subtle compared to IK's...mainly (in my opinion) due to it emulating Studer machines.

If you like to tweak settings, Satin is the one to get. It has the best tape compression emulation around but that maybe not be something you like. I don't always like it so Slate or IK gets used. Slate VTM barely uses any CPU.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
With this pre-mix method I am now using Slate Digital VTM, IK Tape Machine Collection or U-he Satin.

IK's is a CPU hog but I love the way it sounds. I also love the way Slate's sounds but it is subtle compared to IK's...mainly (in my opinion) due to it emulating Studer machines.

If you like to tweak settings, Satin is the one to get. It has the best tape compression emulation around but that maybe not be something you like. I don't always like it so Slate or IK gets used. Slate VTM barely uses any CPU.
Yeah I have the same tape stuff except Satin. I left back Slate VTM a couple of years ago and I think I have to revisit to see how it reacts with my Acquas.
IK’s tapes sound very good indeed but to use them in a multichannel channel scenario is time consuming. In my workflow they found place (1-2 instances the most) on busses and or the mix-bus. It’s good to freeze or commit anyway but also is good to have the ability for some small moves and tweaks before the final print. I think I must start to keep money for a faster machine.
The problem is that I’m on mac and the newest series are quite expensive.
Anyway, thanks for answering and reminding me VTM
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I have the same tape stuff except Satin. I left back Slate VTM a couple of years ago and I think I have to revisit to see how it reacts with my Acquas.
IK’s tapes sound very good indeed but to use them in a multichannel channel scenario is time consuming. In my workflow they found place (1-2 instances the most) on busses and or the mix-bus. It’s good to freeze or commit anyway but also is good to have the ability for some small moves and tweaks before the final print. I think I must start to keep money for a faster machine.
Slate VTM is a solid but subtle tape plugin. IK gives you tape flavors that aren't so subtle. That's why I like both but yeah IK is an absolute CPU hog by design. No way around it, sadly. But...I respect the zero sonic compromises design!

I also respect Paul White's reviews and this one back in the day had me sold on VTM. https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/slate-vtm

It's always a good reminder to re-read that particular review. Just because VTM is "old" that doesn't mean it's any better or any worse than newer plugins. User reviews here https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...wnload/reviews are also a great reminder of VTM's prowess.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Does Navy2 have any presets? I can't see any in studio one?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Thanks for replies! No centralized FAQ? Wowwwwwwwwwwwww.

So let's say I'm using the 'pre-mix' method. Makes a ton of sense in terms of cpu, crashes, etc. Is there any sense that this will improve the 'sound' of what I'm doing? I know some people say they have a separate computer for reverb plugs because running from the DAW computer into a mixing console into the 'reverb' computer back into mixing console back into DAW computer makes the reverb sound more '3d/like hardware', simply because it gains some of the heft of the transformers, etc. I realize the whole point of Acustica is not needing to do that, but, if one has a little bit of outboard (ie: one high end saturator, like an Overstayer MAS) and a lot of Acustica, it would seem to make that little bit of outboard go a long way. Does this make any sense, or is it not worth the AD/DA conversions?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Slate VTM is a solid but subtle tape plugin. IK gives you tape flavors that aren't so subtle. That's why I like both but yeah IK is an absolute CPU hog by design. No way around it, sadly. But...I respect the zero sonic compromises design!

I also respect Paul White's reviews and this one back in the day had me sold on VTM. https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/slate-vtm

It's always a good reminder to re-read that particular review. Just because VTM is "old" that doesn't mean it's any better or any worse than newer plugins. User reviews here https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...wnload/reviews are also a great reminder of VTM's prowess.
Quote:
Quote:

I got a Silver Bullet a few months back. With it's Neve and API emulation, would that remove the need to use the AA versions Neve and API? Or would you still use the SB as a final pre-mix step when you print back to console?

In my case, the console would be my SB back into Cubase, AFTER the AA stuff.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sance21 View Post
I got a Silver Bullet a few months back. With it's Neve and API emulation, would that remove the need to use the AA versions Neve and API? Or would you still use the SB as a final pre-mix step when you print back to console?

In my case, the console would be my SB back into Cubase, AFTER the AA stuff.
If you're printing stems though the SB, yes, it negates the need for plugins.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Use Nebulaman2 to print all tracks before you start:
https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/nebulaman You can use it to print with any plugin, not just Acustica stuff, ideal for IK tapes.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
i9 9900k rocking aqua plugins with no other pc needed. About 2% for Navy at 44khz
What PC do u have? Built yourself or a complete? On Mac myself and, and PC seem like a better and better option due to apples (insert your word here).
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
hornet tape is my go-to and is definitely worth checking out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregerlindberg View Post
What PC do u have? Built yourself or a complete? On Mac myself and, and PC seem like a better and better option due to apples (insert your word here).
Bought the system from Scan in UK with the motherboard, cpu, ram and watercooling all built and overclocked on all of the cores to 5ghz.

Price was £1,050 I think. The rest is just Evo 970 Pro 1TB SSD drives for about 3TB storage
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
Bought the system from Scan in UK with the motherboard, cpu, ram and watercooling all built and overclocked on all of the cores to 5ghz.

Price was £1,050 I think. The rest is just Evo 970 Pro 1TB SSD drives for about 3TB storage
Damn! Sounds like a really nice machine.
Will have to check out that page and see what the competetion offer. :D
Thank u!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
Use Nebulaman2 to print all tracks before you start:
https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/nebulaman You can use it to print with any plugin, not just Acustica stuff, ideal for IK tapes.
Thanks Andy, I have Nebulaman but I gave up from using it because not always but in some N4 libraries(e.g. TimP J37 tape) the processed files didn’t t line up with the original in time. I’m sure it’s not a problem of the application itself but I don’t want to risk.
Also in Cubase 10 on the direct offline process there are timing issues with N4 while at the IK tapes, many times after the processing there is a 3-4 secs silence in the beginning of the audio. However I will make a test to see if the IK tapes run well through nebulaman.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I saw that theres supposed to be a new AA product today - i think im right there - acc to there instagram they show what appears to be Sand - any news on this one
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscent View Post
I saw that theres supposed to be a new AA product today - i think im right there - acc to there instagram they show what appears to be Sand - any news on this one
sand 2 has disappeared from the marketplace
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search