The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Acustica audio acqua plugins general discussion
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
Just wanted to write some appreciation for Magenta. I seem to like it even more.

2 buss: other stuff -> Brighton -> MDE -> Magenta 5 st comp (Med Attack, Fast Recovery, 150-200 Sidechain, 30-50% stereo link, Threshold so that there is max 1dB reduction) -> other stuff

It gives the sound so much more character and yet so subtle.
Preamp A2 (and much of Magenta) ‘sounds like a record’ to me. Bring on the chirp.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There is no 'chirp' to hear.

The display is due to the test signal and kernel switching.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Acustica announces Coral2: 6-plugin suite including one FREE processor

Yeah, intro pricing + loyalty discount means must demo for me. Never gave Coral a proper demo. And I still have to buy Cola
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

CORAL.

Now CORAL-2.

Essential BAX design EQ. Absolutely love the PreAmp. The Elliptical Filter is great in Mastering.
As for the Compressor ... not sure why I never quite connected with it ... oh yeah, because I have so many other Comps that I
already use ... I keep forgettin' about this one :|

2. The Preamp module is one I often use [as well as Magenta's Preamp]. They both do something really nice, and
now version 2 sounds even better.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Just load it and try. This new Coral sounds very good, Bax EQ shelves and preamp are really soft. And the compressor seems to be very efficient. Should compare with other AA that i'm used to use.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
There is no 'chirp' to hear.

The display is due to the test signal and kernel switching.
So if the chirp is not audible, why has there been all this talk about it being an unwanted artifact? Why would this particular preamp be an exception even though it's showing the pattern that many people have agreed over the past few weeks is audible and shows up in graphs? And I'm not trying to be facetious or confrontational; it's totally possible that my understanding of the issue just isn't very good. These are honest questions and I'm not trying to finger-point.

At any rate, I don't really want to bring up the topic too much more anyway after weeks of it being drawn out in the Nebula thread. It was something I mentioned off-hand and don't mean to get into or argue too much anyway. I'm mostly just interested in investigative knowledge and learning (understanding things). I'm enjoying the Coral Bax EQ regardless. The curves are reaaaally nice and ultra gentle.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
So if the chirp is not audible, why has there been all this talk about it being an unwanted artifact?
I think due to seeing an analyzer display [like PlugDoc].

FFT analysis is a complicated subject. [actually more so than I really have time, nor over desire, to spend on]. They can be quite the useful tool ... but it does have limitations.

I posted a link to an one education site regarding this ... I think it was mostly ignored [it's not really fun stuff for most of us ... still important to understand some of the measuring options and parameters].

That said ... PD does provide a nice picture. Useful for measuring curves and Q-factors. [Linear analysis].

I've not seen anyone post a screenshot from the Oscilloscope page to reveal a suspect 'chirp'. A tool that sat on many a test Workbench ... for reason.

Last point ... maybe it's the way I've used ACQUA and [mostly] Nebula/N4 for so many years ... with selective use specific to a given track ... the enhancement has always been positive ... otherwise I don't use.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
Anyone own Viridian and compared the V72 pre/tube eq portions vs Cola's tube mixer/Eq? The more I play with Cola, it strikes me as similar but much better sounding overall. Maybe slightly more tubey in the low end but not mushy. Ive read a few notable people have used these but they dont seem as popular which is curious.
Which Cola pre do you mean?
The Pre-4 is the one for 415 and I think is the only tube based. The 228 which has both line and mic (pre-1, pre-2) are inductor based, I think.

I have not compared to Viridian yet, it seems that they do have some similarities. I was never a big fan of V72 pre's for some reason. Always found something better and at some point stopped trying, but 69 pre on Viridian is very good on the other hand.

The new and shiny Coral is very nice. Pre (on strip) -> comp (detector 3) doing around 1db of reduction and attack release med-> med/fast matching the groove of the song seems very good at making contours of sounds more detailed. Then some bax EQ for lows and highs to extend them a little. My only wish is that the M/S switch would be separate for comp and EQ. As I set comp in stereo and then want to EQ in M/S...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart View Post
Which Cola pre do you mean?
The Pre-4 is the one for 415 and I think is the only tube based. The 228 which has both line and mic (pre-1, pre-2) are inductor based, I think.

I have not compared to Viridian yet, it seems that they do have some similarities. I was never a big fan of V72 pre's for some reason. Always found something better and at some point stopped trying, but 69 pre on Viridian is very good on the other hand.

The new and shiny Coral is very nice. Pre (on strip) -> comp (detector 3) doing around 1db of reduction and attack release med-> med/fast matching the groove of the song seems very good at making contours of sounds more detailed. Then some bax EQ for lows and highs to extend them a little. My only wish is that the M/S switch would be separate for comp and EQ. As I set comp in stereo and then want to EQ in M/S...

Thanks!

I do indeed mean Pre-4 (415). Im always looking for tube to sweeten vocals. Pre-3 reminds me of Cream especially what it does to the low mid area. A lot of completely different flavors in this bundle.

I really fell for Coral last year after not speaking too highly about it for a while. Definitely going to check it out this weekend.

Last edited by Asher Bay; 1 week ago at 03:06 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Coral BaxTer AI

Hey G...Just wondering how many seconds maximum can the AI learn/remember?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

as many as you want. The analysis is performed on small snippets but they are combined
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
CORAL.

Now CORAL-2.

Essential BAX design EQ. Absolutely love the PreAmp. The Elliptical Filter is great in Mastering.
As for the Compressor ... not sure why I never quite connected with it ... oh yeah, because I have so many other Comps that I
already use ... I keep forgettin' about this one :|

2. The Preamp module is one I often use [as well as Magenta's Preamp]. They both do something really nice, and
now version 2 sounds even better.
Ignorance mode alert!

I have no idea what an elliptical filter is but -- I think -- figured it out listening to it. It sounds like it more or less sums the sides to mono?

So say I set it to 150Hz and 100% mono... am I essentially M/S eqing/HPFing all frequencies 150 and below out of the side channels?

At times I notice very little to no difference but still sense a difference in the stereo image... and sometimes it sounds like absolute heaven and perfect. It's these times when it sounds so much more effective than, say, Azure or Ivory in M/S and shelving/cutting the lows out of the sides.

Many times with Azure and Ivory I must be very careful because while on one hand it may sound 'tighter', it also sounds less balanced or lopsided... maybe more accurately, as a heavy center image with two sides tacked on.

I listened to Ivory4 and I wanted it. I listened to Ruby2 and I wanted it. I listened to Cola and I wanted it.

I listened to Coral2 and I need this Acqua. I love the pres, I love the elliptical, love the EQ, I really like the first three detector modes but the C1-6 are doing nothing for me so far. Coral2 is amazing.

For me, Coral2 is a finisher/polisher. Fantastic for that final touch on a song.

Thank you @ zaphod Coral2 is my favorite Acqua of 2019 (so far)

Just went to purchase and my loyalty coupon expired July 12. Will you be sending out new emails soon? I definitely don't want to miss out on Coral.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Ignorance mode alert!

I have no idea what an elliptical filter is but -- I think -- figured it out listening to it. It sounds like it more or less sums the sides to mono?

So say I set it to 150Hz and 100% mono... am I essentially M/S eqing/HPFing all frequencies 150 and below out of the side channels?

At times I notice very little to no difference but still sense a difference in the stereo image... and sometimes it sounds like absolute heaven and perfect. It's these times when it sounds so much more effective than, say, Azure or Ivory in M/S and shelving/cutting the lows out of the sides.

Many times with Azure and Ivory I must be very careful because while on one hand it may sound 'tighter', it also sounds less balanced or lopsided... maybe more accurately, as a heavy center image with two sides tacked on.

I listened to Ivory4 and I wanted it. I listened to Ruby2 and I wanted it. I listened to Cola and I wanted it.

I listened to Coral2 and I need this Acqua. I love the pres, I love the elliptical, love the EQ, I really like the first three detector modes but the C1-6 are doing nothing for me so far. Coral2 is amazing.

For me, Coral2 is a finisher/polisher. Fantastic for that final touch on a song.

Just went to purchase and my loyalty coupon expired July 12. Will you be sending out new emails soon? I definitely don't want to miss out on Coral.
Yes that's essentially it - you're restricting/summing the pan (via steep slope) below a certain frequency. Imagine an elliptical shape—with the left edge at 0hz—across the frequency spectrum. Adjusting the height of the shape taller (more extreme) or shorter (more gradual) will effect the restricted pan/mono effect on the low end.

They were used primarily for cutting vinyl records IIRC.

A modern (albeit linear) take on this is Nugen Monofilter, which lives on my master. Great plugin!

Looking forward to trying Coral2 today (not used Coral in a long while!).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ignorance mode alert!

Generating coupons again.. it will take a day or so
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

coral 2 - instant buy here , v impressed , whats not to like , it gels music really well , perfect mastering tool
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Well Giancarlo, according to https://justpaste.it/AcusticaAudioAcquaMasterList
only a few acqua plugins remain to be updated to Core 13(.5).

The ones still at Core 10 or less are Amethyst, Cobalt, Ebony, Emerald, Lime, Navy, Pearl, Scarlet, Tan and White. Considering how large the list of acquas is, that's not too shabby at all.

You all have made a lot of progress this year so congratulations on that!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Sadly you can't get Pearl any more.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
The ones still at Core 10 or less are Amethyst, Cobalt, Ebony, Emerald, Lime, Navy, Pearl, Scarlet, Tan and White. Considering how large the list of acquas is, that's not too shabby at all.

And Green. Hoping a core update tames the sound a bit and maybe include a GML compressor
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
And Green. Hoping a core update tames the sound a bit and maybe include a GML compressor
I'd be happy without additions but yeah.. why not!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, sorry I missed Green because it was squished underneath the Gold listing! Green definitely needs an update...it is Core 7! Ouch.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

The quality of Acquas has been upped so much within a year. The EQs are so great.

I love the new Coral update, and with the intro price plus possibly a new coupon with large discounts considering my list of Acquas that I own has been growing, it's a no brainer to buy. Now they've sucked me in with the coupons, and I'm probably just going to buy almost every new Acqua since the prices will be so good.

Also, thanks for maintaining that list. I personally use it weekly (I probably look at it at least once a week).
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Crimson and Lemon as well.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
Please, for the love of all Gods upgrade Lemon and Crimson soon. They are very specialized tools I keep using everywhere, and they are the biggest CPU hogs at the moment too.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Is anyone else getting horrible loading times with Coral2 strip? In both the trial and commercial version, loading times in Logic are painfully long. I did some casual testing tonight on various Acqua strips loading times (in seconds):
  • Coral 23
  • Amber 3
  • Big Ceil 3
  • Cola (trial) 3
  • Honey 3
  • Cream 4
  • Magenta 4
  • Pink 4
  • Taupe 5
  • Lime 7
  • Sand 7
  • Ultramarine (trial) 7
  • Crimson (trial) 8

23 seconds is a **LONG TIME**. I tested each of these strips multiple times; the time may be off by half a second, give or take +/-.

Coral2 is at least 22.5 seconds long to load.

Anyone else? I'm particularly interested in Reaper times since Reaper seems to be very well optimized. I haven't tested the VST in Bitwig yet.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Loads fast here (cubase/fl)
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Is anyone else getting horrible loading times with Coral2 strip?
Anyone else? I'm particularly interested in Reaper times since Reaper seems to be very well optimized. I haven't tested the VST in Bitwig yet.
Takes about 15s on my machine for Coral 2 (strip) to load in Logic and REAPER, which is sluggish indeed.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Hey guys Ive been playing with the Funkenschlag aqua from Prime Studio for a bit while I shootout a few other vintage tube preamps for my tracks specifically Cola and Viridian. Im downloading the Viridian2 trial right now. Im opting to skip the modern options such as Magenta. Anyone have any ideas whats included in Funkenschlag btw? Seems like a Telefunken v76 preamp although not exactly sure, maybe an Albiswerk graphic eq, and which compressor?

So far Funkenschlag is really beautiful in how it fills out the low mids, warms it up and retains more of the lows while Cola's tube pre does the complete opposite resulting in tighter, clearer and brighter. Interesting. From memory Viridian seemed more punchy than both but we'll see.

Last edited by Asher Bay; 6 days ago at 01:30 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
Hey guys Ive been playing with the Funkenschlag aqua from Prime Studio for a bit while I shootout a few other vintage tube preamps for my tracks specifically Cola and Viridian. Im downloading the Viridian2 trial right now. Im opting to skip the modern options such as Magenta. Anyone have any ideas whats included in Funkenschlag btw? Seems like a Telefunken v76 preamp although not exactly sure, maybe an Albiswerk graphic eq, and which compressor?

So far Funkenschlag is really beautiful in how it fills out the low mids, warms it up and retains more of the lows while Cola's tube pre does the complete opposite resulting in tighter, clearer and brighter. Interesting. From memory Viridian seemed more punchy than both but we'll see.
Can't find that one on the Prime Studio site.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Can't find that one on the Prime Studio site.
Only trial : https://primestudio.at/magento2/inde...lag-trial.html
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Is anyone else getting horrible loading times with Coral2 strip? In both the trial and commercial version, loading times in Logic are painfully long. I did some casual testing tonight on various Acqua strips loading times (in seconds):
  • Coral 23
  • Amber 3
  • Big Ceil 3
  • Cola (trial) 3
  • Honey 3
  • Cream 4
  • Magenta 4
  • Pink 4
  • Taupe 5
  • Lime 7
  • Sand 7
  • Ultramarine (trial) 7
  • Crimson (trial) 8

23 seconds is a **LONG TIME**. I tested each of these strips multiple times; the time may be off by half a second, give or take +/-.

Coral2 is at least 22.5 seconds long to load.

I have noticed the same. Extremely long loding for Coral2 on Mac/REAPER.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search