The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acustica audio acqua plugins general discussion
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Ah rosewood , you again lols

yeah the eq is fabulous - but you know what im getting a bit spoiled now - i bought the diamond , thought it was fab , then the ruby , fab , then azure - fab etc

the compressor is really good on the ole fairchild - really like it - but having just done an a/b of the same mix of Weiss this morning and then the Fairchild tonight - the Weiss wins hands down for clarity and punch and is my prefered mix ( that said im really tired so what i did this morning with a fresh mind cant be compared to me at the end of the day ) - but what a winner - i paid something like 80 after 25% off the 119 price ( discounted from 300 ) - great great eq and the comps really nice - i did want an alternative to just my weiss - but hey maybe the weiss will win out - its so clear sounding.

I do want to spend a bit more time with the magenta - the comp sounded cool earlier - but now i've bought 5 in just a week i dont really think i should get anymore - i must have enough to master this stuff - and its better to know your gear than just have more and more. I'm sure the el ray is good but i dont think its prob right for me right now. I do want that Lemon delay - been demoing and I liked it. Oddly on another note I quite like the reverb on the fairchild - its a bit 1950s - forbidden planet sounding - still - nice addition.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Might want to check out Violet too
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
I think he is looking for compressors for mastering these tracks, and in that case, I wouldn't really use El Ray (I mean, it could work, but it's really more of a tracking comp). BUT for individual tracks -- drums, vocals, synths, guitars, even drum busses, etc. -- it is really great.
Yeah ok. Works anywhere imo, especially the type of music he is describing. Top 3 AA's this year easy.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

acoustica gave me 30% coupon today - this is so tempting , their best coupon yet - can i make it to the end of today without another
Old 1 week ago
best of luck not to purchase anything new

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscent View Post
acoustica gave me 30% coupon today - this is so tempting , their best coupon yet - can i make it to the end of today without another
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7blanche View Post
best of luck not to purchase anything new
Once you bought enough you get coupons regularly... Up to I think 50% over a certain amount. Which comes off from the sale price too... So you end up buying them for 50%-60%-70% off. Too tempting.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakline View Post
Once you bought enough you get coupons regularly... Up to I think 50% over a certain amount. Which comes off from the sale price too... So you end up buying them for 50%-60%-70% off. Too tempting.
If I make it tonight without buying the next one i will be suprised - I've got five now - how many do you have to buy before getting 50% off - is it like 20. its a great gift.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

unfortunately the latest "crazy20" coupon again cannot be combined with the loyal percentages...

nothing too serious, as ACUSTICA is generous with great updates, but still it would be nice
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakline View Post
It goes to 55%
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

G posted a pic of a Cadac G Series on Instagram about three months ago. Either AA listened to me when I said this is one of the pieces I would love to have sampled, they decided to sample it independently from my comments (more likely this), or they just visited the studio that houses the console and didn't sample it .... But in any case, I'm smitten at the prospect of a Cadac G Series console release. These things are reported to be somewhere between a Trident A Series, Neve 80s series, and Quad 8 in terms of sonic quality.

There are at least two in Europe (Idee und Klang Studios and in Radiohead's rehearsal space), and there is at least one in the US (Jonathan Wilson's Fivestar Studio in Laurel Canyon).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuI3ZDhlZbn/
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonStrom View Post
unfortunately the latest "crazy20" coupon again cannot be combined with the loyal percentages...

nothing too serious, as ACUSTICA is generous with great updates, but still it would be nice
Yep. I just tried. No bueno.

I’m demoing Ivory4 and really liking it... seems to slot somewhere between Scarlet and Green. A kind of Goldilocks mastering EQ. Unreal how firm the bass is.

M/S mode — I wanna heap superlatives on this thing but I’ll just quickly say it’s pretty sick. Cutting the bass and boosting highs on the sides (at least on my test track) was instant pro sauce. I don’t remember Azure being that effective, I’ll have to go back in my notes to see if I made similar moves.

The pre — don’t like it. Sounds ‘closed’. Other than that Ivory4 has been a winner.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Ivory was an instant buy for me - that transparancy ... instant ... wow. Its like a translucent cover over things - see through.

Bought Lemon today - great delay , love it.

Trialing El Ray now , instant like. Sounds great. Lovely interface and quality sound.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
G posted a pic of a Cadac G Series on Instagram about three months ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuI3ZDhlZbn/
How about this one, fellow sleuth slutz:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpwu-OzBYat/

@ Antagon1st in the comments thought possibly MCI; someone else said Lime2

Looking at the board and at other photos online, some MCI have that big pan knob, others don't. But it kind of does look like an MCI.

And. AND...

In the top corner, I think I spy a Lex224.

I've yakked endlessly about would love a Trident, or a Lexicon, etc etc. What I really want -- all I need -- is a Neve 8068. That's it. Let me pretend so I can do a bad imitation of Daniel Lanois and I will be a happy boy.

based on https://justpaste.it/AcusticaAudioAcquaMasterList

I don't think Gold2 has the 1083/Neve 8068.

And I'm always doing the mental calculus if AA ever decided to sample a 8068, would they release it with an updated Gold, an updated Lime, or would they release a separate plugin.

I suppose someday I should pick up Gold, I always thought Neve was more of my vibe but after buying Pink3 it almost feels like heresy.

Neve 8068, make it happen @ zaphod
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

@ swartzfeger Interesting. I haven't heard the greatest things about MCI. Not that they're necessarily bad, and there is definitely a lot of history to these consoles, but I've just heard that consoles like the Cadac G or Trident A-Range are just better (basically the holy grail). I'm not sure what the variation is like between MCI consoles either, anyway. But Jonathan Wilson swapped out his MCI JH416 for the Cadac G and said the top and bottom just opened right up. He essentially said it was a big upgrade.

When I was researching the Cadac, everyone unanimously agreed that the G series is one of the best sounding consoles ever. Someone said it's on par with Neve and Helios. Another said it sounds similar to a Siemans W295b and the A-Range. Apparently one of the guys who worked on producing the A-Range was involved with creating the Cadac G series, and the two consoles share some similar things about them, like high voltage rails. They also use the same Marinair mic and line input transformers as on the Neve 80 series and the console is fully discrete and class A. They have inductor EQs in the channels. Lots of hits were recorded on the G series. Check out this page for a bit of info: http://larkingslist.com/products/sol...cadac-g-series

In terms of Gold, the 1073 homebrew EQ will be close but of course has limited selectable frequencies. I believe the 8068 had 3 band EQs anyway. I can't remember if the 31102 uses the same mic input transformers as the 1073 (actually, I know Neve switched tranny manufacturers quite a bit in the classics, from Marinair and St. Ives and one or two more). But anyway, any difference will be subtle. For all intents and purposes, Gold to me is sampled from the "classic Neve" family.

I hope I don't seem too hyperbolic about the Cadac G Series, but I'd be just as happy with that being sampled as I would with a Trident A-Range being sampled. Give me either or (or both ).

Last edited by rosewood123; 1 week ago at 04:32 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
@ swartzfeger Interesting. I haven't heard the greatest things about MCI. Not that they're necessarily bad, and there is definitely a lot of history to these consoles, but I've just heard that consoles like the Cadac G or Trident A-Range are just better (basically the holy grail). I'm not sure what the variation is like between MCI consoles either, anyway. But Jonathan Wilson swapped out his MCI JH416 for the Cadac G and said the top and bottom just opened right up. He essentially said it was a big upgrade.

When I was researching the Cadac, everyone unanimously agreed that the G series is one of the best sounding consoles ever. Someone said it's on par with Neve and Helios. Another said it sounds similar to a Siemans W295b and the A-Range. Apparently one of the guys who worked on producing the A-Range was involved with creating the Cadac G series, and the two consoles share some similar things about them, like high voltage rails. They also use the same Marinair mic and line input transformers as on the Neve 80 series and the console is fully discrete and class A. They have inductor EQs in the channels. Lots of hits were recorded on the G series. Check out this page for a bit of info: http://larkingslist.com/products/sol...cadac-g-series

In terms of Gold, the 1073 homebrew EQ will be close but of course has limited selectable frequencies. I believe the 8068 had 3 band EQs anyway. I can't remember if the 31102 uses the same mic input transformers as the 1073 (actually, I know Neve switched tranny manufacturers quite a bit in the classics, from Marinair and St. Ives and one or two more). But anyway, any difference will be subtle. For all intents and purposes, Gold to me is sampled from the "classic Neve" family.

I hope I don't seem too hyperbolic about the Cadac G Series, but I'd be just as happy with that being sampled as I would with a Trident A-Range being sampled. Give me either or (or both ).
Isn’t TimP’s Cadpan sampled from a Cadac?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats View Post
Isn’t TimP’s Cadpan sampled from a Cadac?
Yes, but I think it was a J series. It was definitely not a G series; I asked him about it once. Not that the other series models are bad, but the G series is the cream of the crop.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Yes, but I think it was a J series. It was definitely not a G series; I asked him about it once. Not that the other series models are bad, but the G series is the cream of the crop.
Ah ok. It’s one I still need to pick up and it’s only £8.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
[MENTION=171323]I hope I don't seem too hyperbolic about the Cadac G Series, but I'd be just as happy with that being sampled as I would with a Trident A-Range being sampled. Give me either or (or both ).
Not hyperbolic at all, I really look forward to the Cadac or a possible Trident! I love the routing and 'console-ness' of Sand, but I'm not a big fan of the EQ. I'm a huge fan of Pink's EQ and overall sound but wish it maybe had the weird crosstalk/phase of Sand. Cream, despite really giving it a go never quite ticked either box for me.

The original Gold was a CPU hog, so I never bothered demoing Gold2. I should probably get around to that.

A 'one stop' Acqua console/strip would definitely get my attention, something I can throw everything at and then wrap things up with either Azure or Ivory. Hopefully a forthcoming Cadac (or Sand or Lime update) can accomplish that.

For now, Pink does the trick.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Not hyperbolic at all, I really look forward to the Cadac or a possible Trident! I love the routing and 'console-ness' of Sand, but I'm not a big fan of the EQ. I'm a huge fan of Pink's EQ and overall sound but wish it maybe had the weird crosstalk/phase of Sand. Cream, despite really giving it a go never quite ticked either box for me.

The original Gold was a CPU hog, so I never bothered demoing Gold2. I should probably get around to that.

A 'one stop' Acqua console/strip would definitely get my attention, something I can throw everything at and then wrap things up with either Azure or Ivory. Hopefully a forthcoming Cadac (or Sand or Lime update) can accomplish that.

For now, Pink does the trick.
Gold2 is even worse for me, complete CPU killer. One instance would make Bitwig start to hiccup. Better via Reaper, but nowhere near as efficient as other AAs.

Pink continues to impress here too.

Start putting True Iron on all of your channels
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Gold2 is even worse for me, complete CPU killer. One instance would make Bitwig start to hiccup. Better via Reaper, but nowhere near as efficient as other AAs.

Pink continues to impress here too.

Start putting True Iron on all of your channels
How do you use true iron?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
Mixbus/Mastering: 111C. Great for to low/low mids, adds subtle warmth while retaining headroom/open top. Also my generic channel option (at default).

Channels: Generally—as it's of course source dependent—108X for thickness. 1166 for the mids (think Neve), O-12 for a 1176 style push. 4001B for a bit of retro vibe. V178 on synths and bass (mid push).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I've heard good things about nebula and a guy Tim P - his compressors / limiters - are they the business ?

I downloaded via aquarius the N4 trial player - does this play the third party libraries ?

How do you add 3rd party libraries if its not through aquarius ? thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've heard good things about nebula and a guy Tim P - his compressors / limiters - are they the business ?

I downloaded via aquarius the N4 trial player - does this play the third party libraries ?

How do you add 3rd party libraries if its not through aquarius ? thanks
You need the full N4 (€400), and you install (unzip) them manually.

This is the relevant thread: Nebula must have
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
You need the full N4 (€400), and you install (unzip) them manually.

This is the relevant thread: Nebula must have

thanks for info , will check.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
thanks for info , will check.
Another option is to try to get n3 in the second hand sale and use nebula setups 2 to create the setups.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
on everything. channels, busses, the master. find the right transformer for each use like b0se said and use it judiciously and it will make everything better.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hmm, I'm always reluctant to add algo saturation to tracks (even if it's subtle), BUT they have gotten very good in the last couple of years and plugin developers have gotten excellent with eliminating aliasing and other digital issues. I'll give True Iron a try.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hmm, I'm always reluctant to add algo saturation to tracks (even if it's subtle), BUT they have gotten very good in the last couple of years and plugin developers have gotten excellent with eliminating aliasing and other digital issues. I'll give True Iron a try.
Haven't used True Iron, but Klanghelm SDRR, PA VSM-3 and Overloud Sculptube have addressed aliasing properly (i.e., more directly than just 2x oversampling option). As has Tokyo Dawn Labs (e.g., Limiter 6 for clipping, etc.).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I still think one of the best plugins for adding a little saturation is the Sonimus Burnley EQ. Just engaging the mic pre around 8:00 adds just the right amount of spice.
Crank it up more for distortion on a snare or whatever. I use it in conjunction with the AA plugs and they compliment each other well.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Issues with VST 3 Mac

Hello,

I have almost All AQUA Plugins and recently, I had issues with Upgrade. Aquamarine VST 3 , Big Ceil VST3 , and some others.

The problem is that some settings are changing with the VST 3 Version.

For example, with BIG CEIL, when I reload a song, the Threshold is always set at the maximum :-(
Or with aquamarine, the threshold is moving from minimum to max very fast and all the time when playing the song.
etc...

Then, I reload the VST2 Version of all New updates, and no more trouble.

Am i alone ?

Did I do something wrong ?

Thanks for advice.

Ted.

I've a Mac Pro Late 2013 - 12 Cores - 128 Gb Ram - Hight Sierra - Reaper.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search