The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Acustica audio acqua plugins general discussion
Old 17th May 2019
  #17761
Gear Nut
 
Ted brenn's Avatar
ULTRAMRINE 4 is out. Great compressor. Better than Ultramarine 3. And the 2 EQ are interesting. Especially in the Channel Strip EQ

I don't know what to say about the Reverb, because it's an old school sound but it could be useful in certain circonstances.

This free update is a real Gem

Thanks again Acustica
Old 17th May 2019
  #17762
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc23 View Post
Lo and behold, I must have (re)gained 20% to 30% of my CPU performance. Session run fluidly and flawless. Latency was reduced. Had a mixture of triumph and anger at what was gained because it had been taken.

thank you for your thoughts about this!
I'm not surprised, common sense tells us less is more...... when your computer is offline it is running less CPU cycles, leaving more for other tasks.
Old 18th May 2019
  #17763
Gear Maniac
 

Anybody uses the ultramarine compressor on 2bus for mastering?? I tested here and it seems to kill too much the low end....am I wrong? Any other special use with this tool??
Old 18th May 2019
  #17764
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weile View Post
Anybody uses the ultramarine compressor on 2bus for mastering?? I tested here and it seems to kill too much the low end....am I wrong? Any other special use with this tool??
On a current Mastering Session, Ultra-4 has been called on for Compression/Texture.

Only driving it for about 1dB compression ... with use of the built-in Filter to allow Low Freqs through.

Overall, with my settings, I'm not having low end loss issue.

Just my latest observation ...
Old 18th May 2019
  #17765
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
On a current Mastering Session, Ultra-4 has been called on for Compression/Texture.

Only driving it for about 1dB compression ... with use of the built-in Filter to allow Low Freqs through.

Overall, with my settings, I'm not having low end loss issue.

Just my latest observation ...
Same here. I was using it on mix bus with about 1 dB compression as well and the filter up to 300. No low end loss at all.
Old 18th May 2019
  #17766
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Same here. I was using it on mix bus with about 1 dB compression as well and the filter up to 300. No low end loss at all.
I'm still trying to figure out what that 'red' symbol in the SC Filter section is ?

Not even a mention in the manual !?! or I've missed it.
Old 18th May 2019
  #17767
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I'm not surprised, common sense tells us less is more...... when your computer is offline it is running less CPU cycles, leaving more for other tasks.
Disabling the Spectre fix—known to throttle CPU performance—is what yielded the 'boost' (which is actually normal performance), not just going offline. You'll never gain that much just from turning wifi off.
Old 18th May 2019
  #17768
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what that 'red' symbol in the SC Filter section is ?

Not even a mention in the manual !?! or I've missed it.
my guess is it's the sidechain eq curve from pink, emphasizing HF, rolling off LF
Old 18th May 2019
  #17769
Not much talk about Ultramarine4...? I was a little underwhelmed actually. The compressor just didn't wow me at all, with all the options we have now with Algos and with the other Aqua and Neb comps I don't see a reason to buy yet - despite the quite attractive price. The comp didn't do anything that I couldn't do with f.e. Overloud GemComp 670, or even the other way around. I couldn't get Ultramarine to do what I could do with the Overloud. The Spring Reverb also didn't convince me - the cup wise springs are so good. And the EQs - competition in Acqua and Nebula is strong. What are your thoughts on this? Funny, just like Schwartzfeger I tend to only use Pink3 regularly. And some Neb Libraries.
Old 18th May 2019
  #17770
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos Guitar View Post
Not much talk about Ultramarine4...? I was a little underwhelmed actually. The compressor just didn't wow me at all, with all the options we have now with Algos and with the other Aqua and Neb comps I don't see a reason to buy yet - despite the quite attractive price. The comp didn't do anything that I couldn't do with f.e. Overloud GemComp 670, or even the other way around. I couldn't get Ultramarine to do what I could do with the Overloud. The Spring Reverb also didn't convince me - the cup wise springs are so good. And the EQs - competition in Acqua and Nebula is strong. What are your thoughts on this? Funny, just like Schwartzfeger I tend to only use Pink3 regularly. And some Neb Libraries.
I agree... AA and Nebula already did all the best classic options.... Difficult to go better than the existing ones. I think that they need to sample modern stuff now (blackbox, vsc3, dangerous, guitar pedals...).
Old 18th May 2019
  #17771
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos Guitar View Post
Not much talk about Ultramarine4...? I was a little underwhelmed actually. The compressor just didn't wow me at all, with all the options we have now with Algos and with the other Aqua and Neb comps I don't see a reason to buy yet - despite the quite attractive price. The comp didn't do anything that I couldn't do with f.e. Overloud GemComp 670, or even the other way around. I couldn't get Ultramarine to do what I could do with the Overloud. The Spring Reverb also didn't convince me - the cup wise springs are so good. And the EQs - competition in Acqua and Nebula is strong. What are your thoughts on this? Funny, just like Schwartzfeger I tend to only use Pink3 regularly. And some Neb Libraries.
It is early but I personally think its top 3 in my entire plugin folder. I think it has to do with expectations though. Fairchild holds a mysterious place here on GS. One could be lead to believe that it is magic trapped in a bottle which could leave one feeling underwhelmed in reality. It isnt an expressive set of eqs as in Pink3 or Gold2 and the compressor isnt as punchy and forward as Sand/Solid/Pink3 or recessed like El Rey or will it sound like a record like Magenta’s C compressor. Its more in the middle than what all the praise of the hardware would lead you to believe. Overall very tonally musical tools. Everything tends to sound way more weighty, adds size smoothness and again, more real depth. Id be happy with just this bundle and a good digital eq. Thats just me though, and in reality would pair it with something like Pink3. I also really dig the reverb.

I personally don't think Gem670 has near the depth or realism of Ultramarine4. In use I barely need 1db reduction on the Mixbus for glue and it is a gem on lead vocals so far.

As usual I hold off until right before the intro sale ends but I forsee this replacing Water for these uses.
Old 18th May 2019
  #17772
Lives for gear
 
swartzfeger's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos Guitar View Post
Not much talk about Ultramarine4...? I was a little underwhelmed actually.
I can’t speak to the compressor because that’s not my skill set, especially with a beast like that. The timing here really needs to be finessed. I was kissing 1db and was hearing something, but I need to train my ears to figure out what I’m hearing. inexperience, really.

The reverb is lovely but I’m a verb head. Playing with the horizon and reflections can really open or tighten things. I can see the verb as not being a selling point.

With fear of sounding too fanboy, the high end on the A27 and A64 are ridiculous. Honestly, there’s an appeal to me of just chucking everything, and only using Crave for practically everything, and adding the A64 for balance and sweetness.

When reading the Ultramarine 4 announcement the A64 was like an afterthought to me... oh wow, 2 bands and completely glossed over it during my session. Once I got around to it my focus completely changed. For me, the A64 is where it’s at and the rest is gravy. I wish I could gush over the A27 — it sounds great — but it’s just not a daily driver for me.

Someone in the Ultramatine thread said this and while I mostly disagree, part of what he said rings true... same ol’ offering from AA. I think we have the passive tube thing really (REALLY) well covered and hope to hear something fresh.
Old 18th May 2019
  #17773
Gear Maniac
 
omkar's Avatar
 

At a first glance the comp and A64 don`t tell me a specific story and cpu is too high for mixing.
The A27 surprised me, seems to clean up some mud just by initialization.
I cannot imagine to ever use the (spring?) verb at some point, not my cup of tea.

I see the effort to convey a comp into a full CS but somehow concept and design don`t convince me.
In line with a familiar dictum : a comp is a comp is a comp.

I think I miss the close interlocking of components a la Pink3
which yields a congruency in the overall picture and gives some ease on cpu.

Not excited, not disappointed and everything`s all right.
Old 18th May 2019
  #17774
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos Guitar View Post
Not much talk about Ultramarine4...?
There is a dedicated thread for UM4, so I've been posting/watching there.

I'm about on the same page as Asher Bay. Personally, I was instantly wowed by A27. In fact, I was using Ruby2 on a project, but I loaded up A27 and did a side-by-side comparison, and the A27 actually beats out Ruby for me. Sure, they are somewhat different sounds, Ruby being more modern hi-fi, but the EQ curves and the weight/dimension that the A27 pre added did it for me. If I need a mid cut too, I can just load in AlexB's 432 or MMeQ. The EQs in UM4 also have this incredible smoothness. Both Ruby2 and the EQs in UM4 are excellent imo, but I can see myself going for the smoothness and weighty mojo of UM4 very often.

I've found the reverb to be good when combined with other reverbs (e.g., VXNT plates), but I largely consider it a bonus.

The compressor so far has been really good, but I need to do more testing on different sources.

Edit: Actually, I just want to clarify that in my first paragraph, it of course comes down to personal preference. Listening back right now, and the Ruby/A27 comparison is so close in quality, but they are just different sounds. I could render either and be happy, really. But the point is, I am loving the A27 EQ so far.
Old 18th May 2019
  #17775
Lives for gear
 
swartzfeger's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
There is a dedicated thread for UM4, so I've been posting/watching there.

I'm about on the same page as Asher Bay. Personally, I was instantly wowed by A27.

Edit: Actually, I just want to clarify that in my first paragraph, it of course comes down to personal preference. Listening back right now, and the Ruby/A27 comparison is so close in quality, but they are just different sounds. I could render either and be happy, really. But the point is, I am loving the A27 EQ so far.
Was wowed as well, straight away, but found myself wrestling with it too. Trying to lightly engage the low roll for effect but still maintain the bottom, etc. Figuring out which EQ for cuts and things like that.

Ruby was a slow motion bounce for me after demoing it for a week and I’m not sure why. Things didn’t gel or click.

The one thing that A27/64 did for me last night was set a light bulb off — Scarlet. I needed some very shallow cuts and I think Scarlet may see a lot more use now.
Old 18th May 2019
  #17776
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Was wowed as well, straight away, but found myself wrestling with it too. Trying to lightly engage the low roll for effect but still maintain the bottom, etc. Figuring out which EQ for cuts and things like that.

Ruby was a slow motion bounce for me after demoing it for a week and I’m not sure why. Things didn’t gel or click.

The one thing that A27/64 did for me last night was set a light bulb off — Scarlet. I needed some very shallow cuts and I think Scarlet may see a lot more use now.
The low roll in A27 is really powerful and wouldn't be useful for a mix bus or mastering, imo, because it's fixed at 700 Hz (quite high), but might be nice for individual tracks. The high roll is more useful for a full mix though. The broad boosts are where A27 shines for me. For example, boosts around 87 Hz and 11.5k sound sublime. And as I mentioned, I love the pre.

Ruby2 was a vast improvement over the initial release imo and, for whatever reason, sounds better than RubyHD. I didn't totally gel at first with Ruby, but when Ruby2 came out, I found the EQ so easy to use and got what it's about. Check out Doug Fearn's tutorials too to get a sense of how he'd use the VT-4s/VT-5 and what Ruby2 can do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fj3Y704Hxo&t=4m0s You can see in the video how fast he's able to dial in a sound that cleans up mud and adds punch and highs.
Old 19th May 2019
  #17777
Lives for gear
 
swartzfeger's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
It is early but I personally think its top 3 in my entire plugin folder. I think it has to do with expectations though. Fairchild holds a mysterious place here on GS. One could be lead to believe that it is magic trapped in a bottle which could leave one feeling underwhelmed in reality. It isnt an expressive set of eqs as in Pink3 or Gold2 and the compressor isnt as punchy and forward as Sand/Solid/Pink3 or recessed like El Rey or will it sound like a record like Magenta’s C compressor. Its more in the middle than what all the praise of the hardware would lead you to believe. Overall very tonally musical tools. Everything tends to sound way more weighty, adds size smoothness and again, more real depth. Id be happy with just this bundle and a good digital eq. Thats just me though, and in reality would pair it with something like Pink3. I also really dig the reverb.
I did more testing since Pink3 tested so well with A64. With my previous Pink test and additional tests done tonight, no compression was done because the dynamics were already locked down.

So on the same song -- Azure + Ultramarine... Pink was clearly better, not by much but Azure was too timid/laid back. Was surprised/a little disappointed.

Scarlet + Ultramarine -- I didn't expect much because I don't think this is Scarlet's forte. Wasn't bad. Was nice in the sense that Scarlet doesn't step all over the tracks original sound. Not as good as Pink + Ultramarine.

Sand + Ultramarine -- pleasantly surprised as this was better than I expected. A different sound than Pink... kind of a tight, punchy, 'aerodynamic' sound. Pink was (perhaps in context) 'rounder'. I liked it, but not as much as Pink.

Green + Ultramarine -- no expectations. This really surprised me. Green needs a core update badly, the knobs are so damn fiddly, and that damn dumb drop shadow covering the band's eq in buttons is so annoying. But this combo sounded *great*. It was also easy to 'overcook' as green has a... it's hard to describe, but a hardness to it (maybe the opposite of Azure?). Kind of a hard, glassy sheen. Combined with Ultramarine it was an almost instant 'damn!' Green definitely needed finessed a little but I loved the sound. If I had to choose I'd probably go with Pink just because it sat back just enough to give it a 'set in place' feeling. Plus it was easier to dial in than Green. But Green brought a smile to my face.

Quick bug/feature with Green -- turning off the preamp resets the output, I was constantly resetting it to properly match levels. Core13, please!

The fun part of the experiment was removing Ultramarine from the equation -- would other combinations get me to the finish line. It was a no in every case. The beauty of the A27/A64 (I usually went with A64) is that it's so simple to dial in and sounded great, no fiddling. Pink3 + A64 was easily the quickest and most pleasing sounding.

The hilarity of it all -- I still haven't played much with the compressor. The vaunted Fairchild, it's funny but I'm not itching to change my workflow in the dynamics department that much. Some day.

Like Asher I think this is going to be in my top 3 along with Pink (I almost don't count Taupe anymore because it's on everything without me paying it much mind, it's an auto-include). Pink, Ultramarine... maybe Green once it gets an update. I thought Azure was in there but Pink kind of upset the apple cart and Ultramarine kicked it a little too.
Old 19th May 2019
  #17778
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Disabling the Spectre fix—known to throttle CPU performance—is what yielded the 'boost' (which is actually normal performance), not just going offline. You'll never gain that much just from turning wifi off.
It's not the wifi that is the main issue especially with Win 10, it's all the background programs running you are unaware of stealing needed CPU cycles.
Old 19th May 2019
  #17779
Lives for gear
 
swartzfeger's Avatar
Hello Gold/Neve fans,

Does Gold or any Nebula feature the 8068/1084/31102? I’m looking for more victims to pit against Pink3 in a shootout.

There’s TimP’s Blue 1102. AlexB has the N74 and N81 but nothing specific to the 1084 or the 8068/31102.

mahalo!
Old 19th May 2019
  #17780
Lives for gear
 
jfjer's Avatar
TimP Classic blue = 31102
Old 19th May 2019
  #17781
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what that 'red' symbol in the SC Filter section is ?

Not even a mention in the manual !?! or I've missed it.
The Pink filter ♀ is a reversed pink noise tilt curve (3dB/octave HP) it was discussed in the AA Facebook page a while ago.
Old 20th May 2019
  #17782
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Hello Gold/Neve fans,

Does Gold or any Nebula feature the 8068/1084/31102? I’m looking for more victims to pit against Pink3 in a shootout.

There’s TimP’s Blue 1102. AlexB has the N74 and N81 but nothing specific to the 1084 or the 8068/31102.

mahalo!
Timp P has the 31102.
CDSM has the 1084.
Alex B has the 80 series Neve.
Old 20th May 2019
  #17783
Lives for gear
 
swartzfeger's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
TimP Classic blue = 31102
Yep, that’s the only 1084/8068-class EQ I’ve inventories... wondering if there are more out there. I think Gold is 1073 and 1081.

Would be great if Navy got a 1084 update.
Old 20th May 2019
  #17784
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
The Pink filter ♀ is a reversed pink noise tilt curve (3dB/octave HP) it was discussed in the AA Facebook page a while ago.
Thank-you Andy. [from a non-facer]
Old 20th May 2019
  #17785
Gear Nut
 
PhelixK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what that 'red' symbol in the SC Filter section is ?
Not even a mention in the manual !?! or I've missed it.
The Pink filter ♀ is a reversed pink noise tilt curve (3dB/octave HP) it was discussed in the AA Facebook page a while ago.
Yes, you’re referring to the Pink manual, but implementation of the various side-chain filters are often confused...

Looking at the compressor response below, Plot A shows Pink side-chain filter of the channel strip, compared with the ‘Tilt’ curves used in Pink 2412 compressor. Notice the Pink channel curve is a modified side-chain equalization that preserves low end, while the Tilt curves (supposedly emulated from API2500 ‘Thrust’) is affecting the detector much more below 1k.

Plot B shows the response from engaging the different side-chain filters in Ultramarine4 compressors, on stand-alone and channel strip version. Notice they both use the Pink curve from the original Pink channel strip.


What’s interesting about Plot B, is that UMv4 stand-alone compressor show different response (grey color) compared to the channel strip (blue). For some reason there’s a roll-off towards the lows, meaning with the same settings, there’s more low-end emphasis vs the channel strip version. I will also say it’s prominent, when listening A-B the stand-alone version definitely eats more bass…

Perhaps different by design, but most likely it's a fault that needs AA's attention(!)

Btw, I agree the pink female gender symbol should be explained in manuals, at least as a reference to the Pink bundle and good service to newcomers. The side-chain profiles may be kept as 'secret sauce' ツ
Attached Thumbnails
Acustica audio acqua plugins general discussion-plot-a_pink3_scf.jpg   Acustica audio acqua plugins general discussion-plot-b_umv4_scf.jpg  
Old 20th May 2019
  #17786
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Yes, you’re referring to the Pink manual, but implementation of the various side-chain filters are often confused...

Looking at the compressor response below, Plot A shows Pink side-chain filter of the channel strip, compared with the ‘Tilt’ curves used in Pink 2412 compressor. Notice the Pink channel curve is a modified side-chain equalization that preserves low end, while the Tilt curves (supposedly emulated from API2500 ‘Thrust’) is affecting the detector much more below 1k.

Plot B shows the response from engaging the different side-chain filters in Ultramarine4 compressors, on stand-alone and channel strip version. Notice they both use the Pink curve from the original Pink channel strip.


What’s interesting about Plot B, is that UMv4 stand-alone compressor show different response (grey color) compared to the channel strip (blue). For some reason there’s a roll-off towards the lows, meaning with the same settings, there’s more low-end emphasis vs the channel strip version. I will also say it’s prominent, when listening A-B the stand-alone version definitely eats more bass…

Perhaps different by design, but most likely it's a fault that needs AA's attention(!)

Btw, I agree the pink female gender symbol should be explained in manuals, at least as a reference to the Pink bundle and good service to newcomers. The side-chain profiles may be kept as 'secret sauce' ツ
Thanks for the effort. Wouldn't expect a different curve between strip and standalone compressor versions.

Explains why some were noticing the lows being lessened, and others not.
Old 20th May 2019
  #17787
Lives for gear
 
guavadude's Avatar
In general, do the channel strips use more cpu than stand alone compressor even if the eqs aren’t enabled?
Old 20th May 2019
  #17788
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Yes, you’re referring to the Pink manual, but implementation of the various side-chain filters are often confused...

Looking at the compressor response below, Plot A shows Pink side-chain filter of the channel strip, compared with the ‘Tilt’ curves used in Pink 2412 compressor. Notice the Pink channel curve is a modified side-chain equalization that preserves low end, while the Tilt curves (supposedly emulated from API2500 ‘Thrust’) is affecting the detector much more below 1k.

Plot B shows the response from engaging the different side-chain filters in Ultramarine4 compressors, on stand-alone and channel strip version. Notice they both use the Pink curve from the original Pink channel strip.


What’s interesting about Plot B, is that UMv4 stand-alone compressor show different response (grey color) compared to the channel strip (blue). For some reason there’s a roll-off towards the lows, meaning with the same settings, there’s more low-end emphasis vs the channel strip version. I will also say it’s prominent, when listening A-B the stand-alone version definitely eats more bass…

Perhaps different by design, but most likely it's a fault that needs AA's attention(!)

Btw, I agree the pink female gender symbol should be explained in manuals, at least as a reference to the Pink bundle and good service to newcomers. The side-chain profiles may be kept as 'secret sauce' ツ
This is great Phelix, do you mind if i share this in the Facebook page?
Old 20th May 2019
  #17789
Gear Nut
 
PhelixK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
do you mind if i share this in the Facebook page?
sure, I can do that myself, but I'll probably wait a little while.
Maybe someone with more product insight reads it here, and would like to chime in before 'cross-posting'. /Fabian
Old 20th May 2019
  #17790
Lives for gear
 
zaphod's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Yes, you’re referring to the Pink manual, but implementation of the various side-chain filters are often confused...

Looking at the compressor response below, Plot A shows Pink side-chain filter of the channel strip, compared with the ‘Tilt’ curves used in Pink 2412 compressor. Notice the Pink channel curve is a modified side-chain equalization that preserves low end, while the Tilt curves (supposedly emulated from API2500 ‘Thrust’) is affecting the detector much more below 1k.

Plot B shows the response from engaging the different side-chain filters in Ultramarine4 compressors, on stand-alone and channel strip version. Notice they both use the Pink curve from the original Pink channel strip.


What’s interesting about Plot B, is that UMv4 stand-alone compressor show different response (grey color) compared to the channel strip (blue). For some reason there’s a roll-off towards the lows, meaning with the same settings, there’s more low-end emphasis vs the channel strip version. I will also say it’s prominent, when listening A-B the stand-alone version definitely eats more bass…

Perhaps different by design, but most likely it's a fault that needs AA's attention(!)

Btw, I agree the pink female gender symbol should be explained in manuals, at least as a reference to the Pink bundle and good service to newcomers. The side-chain profiles may be kept as 'secret sauce' ツ
They are "basically" pink curve implementations, but different ones. For pink filter we recreated an hardware implementation, as described in the user manual
Hope it helps
About the rolloff I don't know, but someone (a product specialist or a product developer) with better knowledge about the product could answer : post in Facebook group or ask via ticket
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Forum Jump
Forum Jump