The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acustica audio acqua plugins general discussion Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Acqua slutz,

Some questions for those that have used or demoed Cream 2/Gold 2 extensively. I won't have a chance to download Gold 2 for a few more days.

How's Gold 2's CPU usage compared to Cream?

How do you like Gold 2's pres and EQs compared to Cream? I love Cream but I'm thinking of moving toward something with more weight. And Cream's EQs aren't getting as much use here as I thought (the visual workflow just doesn't jive w/ me working quickly and the 'dial wheel' for choosing different EQs is so damn flakey (but I do love the 'magic' section of the EQ)).

Gold 2's pre-stacking: solid state + tube -- do you use it?

Compressors: Cream's 'B' (zener) compressor is perfect, so Gold's comps may not see a lot of use.
I am using Gold2 as a first stage in mixing - at each Stem. Later I am adding other AA plugins.

The biggest problem with Gold2 is that is very CPU intensive, very very CPU intensive. If AA doesn't make it CORE13, VST3, AUv3 this high CPU usage is making it almost unusable. Only thing good about it is the sound from the 60-70's. Very very good sound and shaping capabilities together with EQ and Filters as 1st stage. Impossible to use more powerful concepts like parallel compression, etc.

So basically at this stage I make just one track in DAW, record with Gold2 and export to import later with the other processed tracks. Very very slow process. But because of the sound I don't give up on this technique.
@zaphod?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes there will be a new release
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Yes there will be a new release
Thank you and the inevitable question - WHEN?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightenlight View Post
I am using Gold2 as a first stage in mixing - at each Stem. Later I am adding other AA plugins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
Cream's preamps imo would be fantastic for summing though.
I'm thinking along Asher's lines because the variety of options for summing with Cream are really nice. And while Cream's EQs are musical and not too 'grabby', I find myself using Magenta and Azure more and more not only because they sound great, but they're overall easier to use and plan vs. Cream's EQs.

I might start with Gold on individual tracks and play with summing into Cream.

All of this is out the window however if/when Lime gets updated and approaches AlexB's MFC space/dimension/soundstage.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
I'm thinking along Asher's lines because the variety of options for summing with Cream are really nice. And while Cream's EQs are musical and not too 'grabby', I find myself using Magenta and Azure more and more not only because they sound great, but they're overall easier to use and plan vs. Cream's EQs.

I might start with Gold on individual tracks and play with summing into Cream.

All of this is out the window however if/when Lime gets updated and approaches AlexB's MFC space/dimension/soundstage.
Ultramarine, Lemon, Ebony - the same thing - I am using them a lot but because are very very CPU intensive - same technique as Gold2 - separate stems one by one. All these are very different and balance each other.

CORE13, Presets save, export; VST3, AUv3 - these should be basic startup position. There is a lot of work to be done. At present stage even with CORE13 it is not possible to automate. Very slow for that. I don't think I need to invest $10,000 in computer, no?

Then I get to use Magenta and Coral for more advanced stages.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Bold statements

Right now my go to is Water. I also really like the action of the opto section of Aquamarine quite a bit on vocals but right now Water's color just tickles my toes for both vocals and the mixbus. It unfortunately never makes it into an actual mix but I anticipate an update one day. I am however in a need of a tube compressor to compliment the tones of what I use daily. Water, Virdian, Ivory. Im still on the fence with El Rey as I compare with Fuse Audio 864. I assumed Titanium would be a pretty clean comp which isn't really what Im after but I'll give it a spin.

The truth is bold

but remember titanium sounds and works best on very fast attack and release with shmod anywhere between 0-2 and it likes a heavier gain reduction too- not only -2 or -3 db bull****

its a little tricky to dial in very sensitive but once you do you'll have this wonderful thick a little on the dark side creamy smooth 3d color with a touch of sparkle and shimmer that I haven't heard anywhere else in the box yet. CDS WTBC is similar in tone but not quite there- it has its own great mojo going on nonetheless.

An update to Titanium 2 is going to be EPIC

Im super pumped to try my next breed of comps- Tim P and cupwise as I hear there have been recent updates. I'll be getting those shortly. Do the 3rd party programs need to be authorized? Tim P, Alex B or Cupwise stuff?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Spikes in compressor action

Hi,
I have been experiment with GR meter in REAPER and I am noticing some strange behaviour. There are sudden peaks in reduction with some weird overshoots. Makes sometimes leveling/comparing by peak value imposssible because of these things. I have noticed that with N4 comps before but now also just saw this on a Magenta C1.
I checked MJUC for a comparison and it did not exhibit these anomalies.
I am using an upright bass sound example for this.
M4:

MJUC:

N4 Flucti:

I remember peak normalisation for U76 vs TrackComp yielded very weird results where N4 comps where showing a lot bigger peaks but with less compression. I think this is because of similar issues. I guess this is something to do with the technology altogether?

Maybe there is a way on how to overcome this issue, could add some kind of AW clipper to catch those over shots. But still that would make comparison with Algos quite hard.

Or is this how "hardware" should sound/perform?

EDIT:
This at some points goes away, and when it does go away - meters on the skin start to perform better. Like after writting this I went back to session and Flucti stoped doing this weird behaviour.

Ohh snap - this happens when you have audio track playing on REAPER and then drop Acustica based plugin without stopping the playback. If you drop a new plug after the audio was stopped it looks like to not throw these peaks.

Last edited by kuulart; 4 weeks ago at 04:47 PM.. Reason: Solved :D
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn47som View Post
The truth is bold

but remember titanium sounds and works best on very fast attack and release with shmod anywhere between 0-2 and it likes a heavier gain reduction too- not only -2 or -3 db bull****

its a little tricky to dial in very sensitive but once you do you'll have this wonderful thick a little on the dark side creamy smooth 3d color with a touch of sparkle and shimmer that I haven't heard anywhere else in the box yet. CDS WTBC is similar in tone but not quite there- it has its own great mojo going on nonetheless.

An update to Titanium 2 is going to be EPIC

Im super pumped to try my next breed of comps- Tim P and cupwise as I hear there have been recent updates. I'll be getting those shortly. Do the 3rd party programs need to be authorized? Tim P, Alex B or Cupwise stuff?
I'll give these settings a try later on tonight.

I havent used a multi-band compression in years mostly because I wasn't getting anything I liked from Izotope, UAD, or Fabfilter. It worked but the end result just sounded different rather than better. My guess is because Im mixing my own work from scratch rather than attempting to wrestle with someone else's where I could see it being more useful. As a result I sold those tools and moved on as I didn't see their value in my setup. That experience caused me to not even install the multi-band compressor from Ivory when it was released during the update. I didnt even try it.

I did however get a couple hours last night to set up Titanium by ear and then really listen. First of all the analog counter part to the tools listed above work far more intuitively and the results were far more musical and controlled imo. Really eye opening . Using Titanium was actually enjoyable. I really like the workflow as it is reminiscent of the digital tools Ive used in the past with a solo listen button. The experience was like I was mastering each band individually resulting in a smoother and more controlled sound. Hmm, may as well install and throw in the Ivory3b comp. Shockingly it is a completely different thing. It more like a surgical tool. It de-esses the top, de-harshes the mids and tightens the low end in a clinical way (not sterile, maybe transparent is more appropriate?). I also found it punchier than Titanium. Titanium feels more like a mixbus tool while Ivory a mastering tool. I also think I would prefer to add Titanium towards the middle to end of the process to take it one notch higher and Ivory probably earlier. Im still on the fence about the depth aspect in Titanium. At the very least it preserves that depth but I'll reserve my opinion on that until closer to when my demo ends (yesterday was day 1) Overall, thanks for the nudge to give MB compression a go again, both Titanium and Ivory have improved my mix although differently which where it gets dicey, to spend or not to spend.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Hi Asher

Have you trialed COBALT Compressor ?

Also, if you have N4, there is the VIOLET [Mastering Valve Compressor]
Hey RJ!

I did try Cobalt compressor when it was released. As an overall bundle I liked it but found my self more drawn towards the preamps. My impression at the time was it was fantastic for adding size and depth but the low end wasn't as desirable as Aquamarine which I was using at the time. I found the same in the eq BUT I will definitely give it a spin again while I use Titanium and El Rey as my reference. I could very be it just wasn't what I was looking for at the time in a compressor. Thanks. Going to be hard to choose one, and it will only be one lol. Not purchasing either until I can hear those Fairchild and FC clones on the way.
Old 4 weeks ago
Hi,

N4 Player is not working in Pro Tools... it says it's not a valid 64-bit plugin. (So I can't use Mantis.)

Done reinstalls and updates... anyone else having this issue?

Please someone respond. This is the 3rd time I'm asking... I find it odd that some questions and statements get met with crickets on this thread, while others get discussed repeatedly ad nauseam.

Thx
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'll give these settings a try later on tonight.

I havent used a multi-band compression in years mostly because I wasn't getting anything I liked from Izotope, UAD, or Fabfilter. It worked but the end result just sounded different rather than better. My guess is because Im mixing my own work from scratch rather than attempting to wrestle with someone else's where I could see it being more useful. As a result I sold those tools and moved on as I didn't see their value in my setup. That experience caused me to not even install the multi-band compressor from Ivory when it was released during the update. I didnt even try it.

I did however get a couple hours last night to set up Titanium by ear and then really listen. First of all the analog counter part to the tools listed above work far more intuitively and the results were far more musical and controlled imo. Really eye opening . Using Titanium was actually enjoyable. I really like the workflow as it is reminiscent of the digital tools Ive used in the past with a solo listen button. The experience was like I was mastering each band individually resulting in a smoother and more controlled sound. Hmm, may as well install and throw in the Ivory3b comp. Shockingly it is a completely different thing. It more like a surgical tool. It de-esses the top, de-harshes the mids and tightens the low end in a clinical way (not sterile, maybe transparent is more appropriate?). I also found it punchier than Titanium. Titanium feels more like a mixbus tool while Ivory a mastering tool. I also think I would prefer to add Titanium towards the middle to end of the process to take it one notch higher and Ivory probably earlier. Im still on the fence about the depth aspect in Titanium. At the very least it preserves that depth but I'll reserve my opinion on that until closer to when my demo ends (yesterday was day 1) Overall, thanks for the nudge to give MB compression a go again, both Titanium and Ivory have improved my mix although differently which where it gets dicey, to spend or not to spend.
Awesome, except I wasn't advocating the multiband!! I was advocating the single band titanium. All my comments were in regard to the single band. Of course the multiband also sounds incredible and very versatile, actually even more versatile, but it's a whole different beast and used more for correction or tone enhancement, not primarily compression like the single band. Start with the single band! then go from there. Start with single band Ivory 4 too don't start with multi bands if you're just testing and trialing.

Ivory sounds a bit sterile in comparison but adds a nice air and quality to a source hence its a mastering product- can't really compare it to titanium

My fav multibands are both Pink versions and Titanium. Titanium can get super punchy you'll just have to work the settings with enough gain reduction.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock View Post
Hi,

N4 Player is not working in Pro Tools... it says it's not a valid 64-bit plugin. (So I can't use Mantis.)

Done reinstalls and updates... anyone else having this issue?

Please someone respond. This is the 3rd time I'm asking... I find it odd that some questions and statements get met with crickets on this thread, while others get discussed repeatedly ad nauseam.

Thx
Dude seriously people are so sick of hearing about the same ol' man this aint workin on a mac ****...
first of all for something like this you need to put in a ticket and go down that rabbit hole unfortunately

but more importantly just do us all a favor and get a pc and reaper. solution

done.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Dude seriously people are so sick of hearing about the same ol' man this aint workin on a mac ****...
first of all for something like this you need to put in a ticket and go down that rabbit hole unfortunately

done.
pc and reaper is not a "solution". We who are purchasing Mac plugins expect they to work, no? The AA support system needs a lot of improvement. So users get to post on this forum with the hope AA to mention them. I understand and I'm fine. By the way I 'm using Harrison MixBus32c and AA plugins are working fine. They are slow and need speed improvement but we expect improvement on this front. Till then working track by track as in the old days is the only solution.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Could someone please explain SH Mod on some of these plugins as I have no idea what they do
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

done.
Hi,

Is it really necessary to reply with such a tone, especially without being particularly helpful?

I am not an obsessive GS’er, so if N4/PT/OSX is a known issue, it was not known to me until now. So, I guess... thank you?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock View Post
Hi,

Is it really necessary to reply with such a tone, especially without being particularly helpful?

I am not an obsessive GS’er, so if N4/PT/OSX is a known issue, it was not known to me until now. So, I guess... thank you?
Actually I was as helpful as one could possibly be bud. You need to put in a ticket. It cant be more clear. The tone is necessary as there have been many before you that post "ticket issues" on here instead of ya know putting a ticket in.

As I already mentioned with your particular issue the helpdesk is what you need. I wish you luck with them lol
they don't offer any kind of real help most of the time so get prepared to give a lengthy paragraph specifically mapping all steps you have taken up to that point in regards to what files, installation, daw operation, directory locations, etc. the list goes on, only for them to finally give you some sort of tangible solution. Even then they may just tell you to report to the manual or document for a solution lol.
Old 4 weeks ago
Thumbs up

Quote:
Actually I was as helpful as one could possibly be bud. You need to put in a ticket. It cant be more clear. The tone is necessary as there have been many before you that post "ticket issues" on here instead of ya know putting a ticket in.
Got it. Thx
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Does AA have a Mastering Limiter? I've been looking to replace the only one I have, Waves L3. So far I've only demoed FabFilter L2 and really liked it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79adam79 View Post
Does AA have a Mastering Limiter? I've been looking to replace the only one I have, Waves L3. So far I've only demoed FabFilter L2 and really liked it.
Check out a few options by AirWindows or TDR Limiter 6.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79adam79 View Post
Diamond lift
magenta4 ( vari-mu )
ebony ( D277: EMT compressor/limiter 277 )
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You all need to stop trying to mix music on laptops. I'm using a year 2014 desktop (4790K processor) with an SSD and am getting along marvelously with AA plugins.

AA plugins and old/cheap laptops are not friends. AA plugins are best used with well coded DAWs on Windows desktop computers running i7 or i9 processors, audio interfaces with stable drivers plus 16GB or more RAM. They warn about this in each and every manual!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
Could someone please explain SH Mod on some of these plugins as I have no idea what they do
Controls the shape of the compression envelope (SHape Modifier). Think they got the idea from Arousor. Open it up in PluginDoctor to see the effect.

Testing Titanium today. Just finished mixing a slow placed track and El Rey was absolutely magic on it (on the mixbus and instrument bus). When it works, nothing ITB can match it!

BTW those looking at multiband compression - DynOne is the master here. It's ridiculously powerful. No box tone of course.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
You all need to stop trying to mix music on laptops. I'm using a year 2014 desktop (4790K processor) with an SSD and am getting along marvelously with AA plugins.

AA plugins and old/cheap laptops are not friends. AA plugins are best used with well coded DAWs on Windows desktop computers running i7 or i9 processors, audio interfaces with stable drivers plus 16GB or more RAM. They warn about this in each and every manual!
My i7 8750H 6 core 12 thread dell laptop copes great
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@zaphod - when are the next vouchers due? I'd like to buy one (or two!) things in this sale.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodistortion View Post
Amber update, please...

+1
I'm hoping for a complete resampling and an additional EQ and preamps.
I'm not so fussed about Avalon compressors.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Cheers mate appreciated, doesn’t this deviate though from the hardware they were sampling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Controls the shape of the compression envelope (SHape Modifier). Think they got the idea from Arousor. Open it up in PluginDoctor to see the effect.

Testing Titanium today. Just finished mixing a slow placed track and El Rey was absolutely magic on it (on the mixbus and instrument bus). When it works, nothing ITB can match it!

BTW those looking at multiband compression - DynOne is the master here. It's ridiculously powerful. No box tone of course.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
Cheers mate appreciated, doesn’t this deviate though from the hardware they were sampling?
Yeah, it's in addition to the tech. Default position is the 'correct' setting for the HW if I recall correctly.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Awesome, except I wasn't advocating the multiband!! I was advocating the single band titanium. All my comments were in regard to the single band. Of course the multiband also sounds incredible and very versatile, actually even more versatile, but it's a whole different beast and used more for correction or tone enhancement, not primarily compression like the single band. Start with the single band! then go from there. Start with single band Ivory 4 too don't start with multi bands if you're just testing and trialing.

Ivory sounds a bit sterile in comparison but adds a nice air and quality to a source hence its a mastering product- can't really compare it to titanium

My fav multibands are both Pink versions and Titanium. Titanium can get super punchy you'll just have to work the settings with enough gain reduction.
I see lol Well Im sure the basic vibe is still present so I have an idea. Unfortunately I dont think the single band compressor is included in the trial. I was comparing Titanium and Ivory since I already have Ivory to see if I could save $$. I appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks!

Last edited by Asher Bay; 4 weeks ago at 03:36 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

AMBER 2 update and mental breakdown

Man I hope AMBER2 will be updated to Core 13 soon. Also, I wish they integrate the Avalon AD2022 preamp to AMBER3 at some point. Talk about giving value to a product! Those pre's are underestimated IMO. I would use that pre a lot.

Some people mentioned that they would like if AMBER2 was updated with a compressor. I think it would be nice, but personnaly I would prefer just a high end preamp like the AD2022 added. My 2 cents.

Oh and Navy2...oh and Sand3. Oh and Purple2. Oh and a LEMON for verbs!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME ACUSTICA AUDIO!!!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasparkpodcast View Post
Man I hope AMBER2 will be updated to Core 13 soon. Also, I wish they integrate the Avalon AD2022 preamp to AMBER3 at some point. Talk about giving value to a product! Those pre's are underestimated IMO. I would use that pre a lot.

Some people mentioned that they would like if AMBER2 was updated with a compressor. I think it would be nice, but personnaly I would prefer just a high end preamp like the AD2022 added. My 2 cents.

Oh and Navy2...oh and Sand3. Oh and Purple2. Oh and a LEMON for verbs!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME ACUSTICA AUDIO!!!!!
I hope they also eventually fix the AMBER 12k5 notch bug.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search