The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acustica audio acqua plugins general discussion Dynamics Plugins
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
Hey! I have not directly compared them side by side, however I owned the T-Racks version for some time before getting Scarlet. The T-Racks version was very until I tried Scarlet.

What separates the two is the T-Racks version lacks the depth, weight of Scarlet and is flat and 2d. As result it isn't as musical in use as Scarlett. The T-Racks version is indeed clean and pristine but if the UI didn't tell me it was a SONTEC, I would suspect a very good digital eq with analog curves i.e. Equilibrium using the 250 curves. I didn't get the Sontec vibe from it.

Scarlet on the other hand provides body, depth and some size with Silk edges (preamp on) and melds with the audio. The T-Racks version is lacking here. As some have stated, this vibe (Scarlet) can actually be too sweet or too much on some material. The difference imo is very evident in the mids and the highs. A dead giveaway on the differences in successfully conveying what makes the Sontec so sought after is when both are used in the extremes. Scarlet stays musical and doesn't sound eq'd.

In short a Crysler 500 looks like a Bentley until an actual Bentlety pulls up next to it...The T-Racks version did the Sontec justice until Scarlet 3 was released. Furthermore with Scarlet being on the less expensive end of Aquas, it's a no brainer if it fits your tastes. I personally love it.
I will demo it after ur praise i always struggled with eqs like green and scarlett they are very clean in a nice musical way.I know that most digital eqs are clean but not really actually to me they make the mixes even more dull there its something wrong with algorithm sound in general the zombie mids are always there .. I am realising that i should use again more hw source but that cost money and with every year with fatal ideas of how to distribute music the use of outboard gets absolutely not necessary nobody wants to pay for anything..
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeorge View Post
I am realising that i should use again more hw source but that cost money and with every year with fatal ideas of how to distribute music the use of outboard gets absolutely not necessary nobody wants to pay for anything..
So true and depressing..
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

yes...
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post
To those who own the Scarlet Acqua:

This is stated on the AA site: what is meant by available? Is this dual preamp option active when I unlink the channels automatically or is something else meant by this?

Also, the new website doesn't show a Scarlet Trial manual (I can see that other Acquas have a manual for download).
Can someone post the pdf or a download link for the Scarlet manual maybe?

Many thanks in advance!
I just checked this and reported the missing manual.

The preamp is either on or off for both channels. Frankly, I don't know if there is a separate envelope follower for each channel, or if the L channel decides the overall gain staging. But they both will or will not be affected by the sound of it.
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Hey guys,

not too sure if you have seen this already but we released version 1.1.004 for Aquarius and now the app also supports uninstall for products added in Aquarius. Several bugs were also fixed.
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyearbouti View Post
I just checked this and reported the missing manual.

The preamp is either on or off for both channels. Frankly, I don't know if there is a separate envelope follower for each channel, or if the L channel decides the overall gain staging. But they both will or will not be affected by the sound of it.
Ok, many thanks!
(I understand: One button for both pres it is then.)
thanks and regards
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyearbouti View Post
Hey guys,

not too sure if you have seen this already but we released version 1.1.004 for Aquarius and now the app also supports uninstall for products added in Aquarius. Several bugs were also fixed.
Sounds good. Hope someone who has installed it can comment that all went well and didn't present any new problems.
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks for this do u have the Surge eq to compare as well?Till now i am not impressed with any Aqua ive tried it doesn't sounds like hw to me.Alex B eqs definetely do but i tried only Diamond and sounds harsh.
Hey! I haven't tried Surge yet. If I'm honest, aside from the two Aquas I mentioned and probably Ebony, I prefer Nebula eqs especially the colored options. But from reviews of Surge it iseems that at the very least it slightly better than Green.

I do own Green however and I found it harder in tone than Scarlet and sharper in the mids and highs. Kinda ying and yang. Has always struck me as something I would use as a go to on piano. Boosting can quickly get harsh, sharp and splatty on certain material though. As a result I tend to only boost the lows in the off chance I pull it out of retirement. Reason being is I purchased Green for surgical duties but because I'm not able to sweep and notch without delay...I skipped it and reach for something else. I think Surge is able to do this but is limited by one band per instance. Don't get me wrong, Green is musical which is evident by using a sharp Q and slowly sweeping. I'm no musician but you can hear the key note changes which is fantastic for hunting. It is however limited in function and I prefer to keep my hair in my head and use something that requires less patience like UAD MDW5, ProQ2 etc. or Oek Soothe for surgical. I'll eventually get around to trying Surge but Im positive someone here can assist you better.
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruffleKing View Post
Sounds good. Hope someone who has installed it can comment that all went well and didn't present any new problems.
For those who can't locate the uninstall button - the option is in the 'Updates' tab under the drop down menu where you can access the different versions for the plug-ins (where currently installed version number and date are displayed by default).
Old 13th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by zArt View Post
I have a 1700 @3800mhz on all cores and it 'eats' anything i throw at it.
I'm very interested.

could you give us an idea of a ''normal setup'' (instance of aqua's/nebula per channel) and cpu usage with your ryzen 1700 ?
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Nut

Curious if there is any data on how aquas perform on Linux as opposed to windows? I know windows is preferred over Mac OSX because of the way it handles multicore processing, I wasn't sure if the same could be said for linux.

Also much thanks for the uninstall feature in aquarius, it's very handy for cleaning up all the trial installs!
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompower9 View Post
+1000, I have also made the suggestion regarding adding the 560. That would make Pink an indispensable BEAST!
So, I just saw Acustica working on what looked exactly like a 560 gui for PINK.

Source: Acustica's Instagram story. So pumped for this!
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz1der View Post
So, I just saw Acustica working on what looked exactly like a 560 gui for PINK.

Source: Acustica's Instagram story. So pumped for this!
Pink 2 baby!!!
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Pink 2 baby!!!
Seems like a big and awesome update to PINK! Being a poor student my hopes are that the update will be free like many other V2 has been with AA for existing PINK users.

But seeing how big the update seems to be it makes me wonder, any thoughts?
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchieBorg View Post
Seems like a big and awesome update to PINK! Being a poor student my hopes are that the update will be free like many other V2 has been with AA for existing PINK users.

But seeing how big the update seems to be it makes me wonder, any thoughts?
I shared some of my Pink 2 update wish list ideas last year with G, if half of what I sent are in Pink 2 it will be a fantastic update..... but until it hits beta I can't offer any ideas of what Pink 2 has in it.

Considering every Aqua update has been free as a reward for investing in AA, I can't imagine that policy changing for Pink 2.
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Head

Hello everyone! can someone give me an unbiased honest comparison between what sounds better overall, better action and performance not worrying about cpu or resources as sound is the most important to me. So between Nebula Pro/3rd party libaries and new Aqcua plugins?

Its a big investment so I would not want to get into N4 blindly as I already use a lot of Aqcuas.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn47som View Post
Hello everyone! can someone give me an unbiased honest comparison between what sounds better overall, better action and performance not worrying about cpu or resources as sound is the most important to me. So between Nebula Pro/3rd party libaries and new Aqcua plugins?

Its a big investment so I would not want to get into N4 blindly as I already use a lot of Aqcuas.
For any Nebula questions......
Nebula must have
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Well, there are somethings better on Nebula, and others better on Acquas.

For example, both have GML8200 emulations, Acqua Green and TimP Surge and, for me, Surge is by far better.

I much prefer L-BUS instead of Sand Bus comp too, although they are both great.

On the other hand, Acqua has Gold, which is everything I need from vintage Neves, and therefore haven't touched Neve Nebula libraries for a long time.

There are a bunch of pretty unique Acquas too, like Cobalt, Coral, Ivory, that I'm using a lot and haven't found any Nebula equivalent.

Nebula has consoles emulations too, that has no equivalent in Acqua land.

You got the idea.
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Head

Do you guys usually put algos before nebula or after in the chain? Ive heard to put algos before as if they are put after nebula/aqcuas you are basically getting the far more inferior image and footprint fo the algo and not the nebula foot print.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you guys usually put algos before nebula or after in the chain? Ive heard to put algos before as if they are put after nebula/aqcuas you are basically getting the far more inferior image and footprint fo the algo and not the nebula foot print.
While I love talking Nebula, this is the Acqua thread so let's stay on topic. Please post any Nebula questions in one of the Nebula threads.

Nebula must have
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you guys usually put algos before nebula or after in the chain?
I look to END a chain with either an N-4 or Acqua. As I find 'algo' plugins tend to 'flatten' the dimension soundstage, and N-4/Acqua impart.

Saying that, I oft times use algo LIMITERs and DITHER as the final plugs.
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hey! I haven't tried Surge yet. If I'm honest, aside from the two Aquas I mentioned and probably Ebony, I prefer Nebula eqs especially the colored options. But from reviews of Surge it iseems that at the very least it slightly better than Green.

I do own Green however and I found it harder in tone than Scarlet and sharper in the mids and highs. Kinda ying and yang. Has always struck me as something I would use as a go to on piano. Boosting can quickly get harsh, sharp and splatty on certain material though. As a result I tend to only boost the lows in the off chance I pull it out of retirement. Reason being is I purchased Green for surgical duties but because I'm not able to sweep and notch without delay...I skipped it and reach for something else. I think Surge is able to do this but is limited by one band per instance. Don't get me wrong, Green is musical which is evident by using a sharp Q and slowly sweeping. I'm no musician but you can hear the key note changes which is fantastic for hunting. It is however limited in function and I prefer to keep my hair in my head and use something that requires less patience like UAD MDW5, ProQ2 etc. or Oek Soothe for surgical. I'll eventually get around to trying Surge but Im positive someone here can assist you better.
Thanks for this ye its strange how nebula eq sounds more liquid and silk while Aqua sounds more like algo but still better then algo.Giancarlo says its the same but thats strange as everyone prefer Nebula.. The Gml has this ultra clean glassy sound that i like but the algo doesnt capture that sound at all it sounds glassy in a bad way like u really put glass in ears way .. Pro q 2 its instant tinny izer together with vcc 2 if u hate ur mix slap those two and ur mix will be thinner then nowadays paychecks.Anyway looks like i will rely on the Alex B MMeq the most this is the best itb eq ever created when it comes to accuracy and i will follow how the aqua tech go and sounds because the plugins are more stable since the beginning and thats good news.
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

The are exactly the same
On next months it will be obvious
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
The are exactly the same
On next months it will be obvious
What is exactly the same? by 'the same' do you mean that you are of the opinion that your Green Acqua is on the same authentic and quality level as Nebula's Tim P's program? Or are you talking more generally about Acquas vs Nebulas by 3rd party developers?
Are you talking about updates, new sampling techniques,... some kind of overall improvements that all products will benefit from soon?
Thanks for clarification

Last edited by gearsuser; 15th February 2018 at 10:59 AM..
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

acqua = nebula
nebula = acqua

Obviously in acqua you are using a more updated engine with more features, but several things never changed, but just because nebula is updated less frequently. Next update for n4 is scheduled for the end of march.
What changes is the developer, converters, sampling techniques. Since we use a lot of external collaborators for sampling, also our results are highly different from a product to a different one. Sometimes it is just because the hardware differences. Old products were featuring a lower number of samples because we were trying to optimize the ugly nebula workflow, but using new techniques and new cpu this is not the case any more on both sides. Today you open dw fearn eq, based on a gigabyte of samples and it loads instantly, it adapts to the frequency rate instantly.
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks for this ye its strange how nebula eq sounds more liquid and silk while Aqua sounds more like algo but still better then algo.Giancarlo says its the same but thats strange as everyone prefer Nebula.. The Gml has this ultra clean glassy sound that i like but the algo doesnt capture that sound at all it sounds glassy in a bad way like u really put glass in ears way .. Pro q 2 its instant tinny izer together with vcc 2 if u hate ur mix slap those two and ur mix will be thinner then nowadays paychecks.Anyway looks like i will rely on the Alex B MMeq the most this is the best itb eq ever created when it comes to accuracy and i will follow how the aqua tech go and sounds because the plugins are more stable since the beginning and thats good news.
No worries. IMHO Aqua vs Nebula is more of a preference thing than a definitively better or worse kinda thing. This could simply be based on the converter or technique chosen. I like to take it case by case and decide. As of right now Ruby is a game changer in terms of my expectations for eq Aquas moving. Personally I reach for Nebula because of the choices available. It provides more color options for my pallet for both eq and compression.

I can't say Aquas sound like an algo though. I've been using Uad's new Helios 69 pretty much non stop since its release hours ago. I was really excited as I love the preamp and haven't heard the eq portion in a while. In general, my favorite records were made using Helios and the Quad 8 I believe it was called. The preamp is good enough to justify it being an upgrade but the eq section while good, when I started playing around with my Aquas again...it still isn't close.

Aquas are still ahead imo and with the release of Ruby and Crimson seems like the gap is widening again for hardware modeled plugins. Algos have their place but I find myself having to slap on more algos and call on different techniques to get texture and a sense of realism and depth (I work almost 100% ITB after tracking). Not in the case with Aquas or to a far lesser extent.

Ps. I need the Helios in Aqua or Nebula land. I believe Cdsoundmaster it but it's been a while.
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
I can't say Aquas sound like an algo though. I've been using Uad's new Helios 69 pretty much non stop since its release hours ago. I was really excited as I love the preamp and haven't heard the eq portion in a while. In general, my favorite records were made using Helios and the Quad 8 I believe it was called. The preamp is good enough to justify it being an upgrade but the eq section while good, when I started playing around with my Aquas again...it still isn't close.
I'm glad to hear that about the new Helios, I suspected that might be the case, and $150 is a lot to spend on an upgrade I won't use a lot. Still, I'll listen and give it a trial.

I used to use Waves quite a bit, but then got into UAD because I thought the EQs and comps were better sounding in many cases. That left me using Waves stuff more for tools like the meters, Tune, phase/stereo stuff, etc. But over the past year I've discovered Acquas, and now the same process is happening with UAD. I'll use an Acqua EQ and comp every chance I can, especially on "important" tracks, and the UAD stuff is getting relegated to FX, delays, reverbs, etc. I'll still use UAD EQs and comps when I run out of processing power, on tracks I feel I can get away with less than the best sound quality.
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
No worries. IMHO Aqua vs Nebula is more of a preference thing than a definitively better or worse kinda thing. This could simply be based on the converter or technique chosen. I like to take it case by case and decide. As of right now Ruby is a game changer in terms of my expectations for eq Aquas moving. Personally I reach for Nebula because of the choices available. It provides more color options for my pallet for both eq and compression.

Aquas are still ahead imo and with the release of Ruby and Crimson seems like the gap is widening again for hardware modeled plugins. Algos have their place but I find myself having to slap on more algos and call on different techniques to get texture and a sense of realism and depth (I work almost 100% ITB after tracking). Not in the case with Aquas or to a far lesser extent.

Ps. I need the Helios in Aqua or Nebula land. I believe Cdsoundmaster it but it's been a while.
Aqua has some kind of hard sound compare to Nebula 3 will demo more of them to form my conclusion.

Henry Olonga did Helios I think.
The new uad plugins are horrendous 1 instance per chip one must be out of his mind to buy dsp to run thin sounding algo. ..I don't believe they used any hw for those mk 2 I listened shooutouts except the distressor most of their plugins sounds nothing like hw to me no tone no colour etcalso they are louder then other plugibs very fishy.When I used few Nebula libs I remaked the masters of mastering engineer I used with Nebula its so good.I will support the tech as this the only legit technology to get analog sound.Algos always add way too much rubbish to the source of course there are few expectations Klanghelm Mjuc sounds close to Nebula it does have this liquid sound.Shame that sintefex retires their units they could of colaborated with nebula instead of those neandartals Fu ck us rite
Old 17th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc23 View Post
Sorry, got to say this:

People, do your homework.

Have trouble installing? do the effort and browse back a few pages... check the AA forum... check the facebook pages (there are at least a couple)... do a google search... homework!

Since Ruby came out, its been pages of people "having trouble" and damning the company... only to find three or four posts later (and in some cases several hours later)... that they didn´t log in correctly... or didn´t submit the order correctly... or were trying to do a "manual" install which is been said to oblivion that WON´T WORK ANYMORE!!...

If they had done their homework, I bet they could have ruby (or any other plugin) installed some twenty minutes (at the most) after posting the so called "problem" and not have to wait till someone illuminates them with an answer 6 to 12 hours later.

I even read a post from someone saying he was "too professional to be wasting time" investigating how to use these tools. To me, this is the same as a carpenter saying he won´t go looking for the best hammer because he is "too professional to be wasting time" and then starts driving nails with a stone he picked up from the floor three years ago. Do you really want to do business with that kind of "professional"?

So:

-Go to AA website, make an account. USE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AS USERNAME!
-Purchase your trial (it won´t be charged at checkout) or purchase your plugin (this will be charged at checkout).
-Download and install Aquarius. NO NEED TO DOWNLOAD ANY MORE FILES FROM THE WEBSITE!
-Open Aquarius, log in with credentials (EMAIL AS USERNAME!!!) and look for your trial or plugin in the "purchased" tab.
-Hit "install" button.
-DONE!

Another one just for trials (haven´t tried the new coupon, did this with the last one):

-Go to AA website, make an account.
-Download Aquarius. NO NEED TO DOWNLOAD ANY MORE FILES FROM THE WEBSITE!
-Install Acuarius. Log in with credentials, go to Settings.
-In the "coupon" tab, enter the coupon given by AA a couple of days ago (its in this forum, its also in this thread, in the fb page, and also in AA forums. Look for it).
-You should have in the "purchased" tab all the new trials ready to install. Choose the one you want, hit install button.
-DONE!

If these don´t work, open a ticket.

Is it really that hard?? I would think, only if you don´t do... your homework!!

All the information needed its out there. I´m just repeating it. So, hopefully, this will help someone.

Sorry to say this but AA have caused themselves some irreparable damage of late that I am hearing throughout the industry. The hurdles customers have to contend with and beyond a joke of late and don't get me started on SUPPORT.

It's a big turn off for those who need reliability .
Old 17th February 2018
Lives for gear

Oh, and of course ... you have the full, complete sense of the world-wide audio community.

funny
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search