The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acustica audio acqua plugins general discussion
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Why not demo it? I'm interested to hear your thoughts as Gold owner. I'm demoing right now ....
I've already done that. Just told I wanted another opinion.

Anyway, I like Gold pre, but using BRA I miss the possibility to be less subtle with it. To maybe kiss where it begins to saturate. Can't do that with Gold.
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
I've already done that. Just told I wanted another opinion.

Anyway, I like Gold pre, but using BRA I miss the possibility to be less subtle with it. To maybe kiss where it begins to saturate. Can't do that with Gold.
Oh, OK. Yeah, BRA 73 sounds excellent so far .... The saturation is really nice and, on first impression, possibly the best I've heard from an algo plugin (but I need to test more). It fattened up a snare track for me that was already pretty hefty. But I don't own Gold so I can't really compare those two.
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Dear GC,

With all of these Distressor releases as of late I would one day like to get my frEQ on. Hint hint https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EMP-LILFREQ
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Dear GC,

With all of these Distressor releases as of late I would one day like to get my frEQ on. Hint hint https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EMP-LILFREQ
I had one for some years, a real Swiss Army knife of an EQ but no real character IMHO. I would follow a Pultec with the Lilfreq for some great EQing.
Old 16th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Correct, we don't know what any of Lift is sampled from... G is being secretive about it. As a guess I would say the clipper is from the Dangerous 2 Bus plus as that's what DMI seems to prefer to clip with, again it's 100% a guess. Whatever they sampled it is really nice sounding and very easy to mangle some audio properly.
I don't know anything about the actual Lift yet, but Ive learned a lot with Luca and Scott at studio dmi with their workshops online and irl when Luca came in Paris last year, plus asked all the questions i could to them since more than 2 years and half now; Luca helped me recreate most of his analog mastering chain in my own mastering studio and helped me find the sweet spots in it.

So I know the 2buss+ and theres no clipping on it, but there's a transformer color option that is never used, a paralimiter which is like 1176 full on in parallel he used on drums, and an harmonic color option which he can use on kick. The 2buss+ is used only for summing drums. The summed drums then are summed with the rest of instruments and vocals into a maselec summing unit.

Then there's the stereo mastering chain, with bettermaker eq - dangerous comp and bax + some other gears he changed lately.. The chain now ends with bettermaker limiter for some clipping, then goes into a prism lyra which can be clipped to. Before the bettermaker limiter he used a Pendulum pl2 peak limiter before the lyra.

So all this gives some infos about what we may find in lift, the clipping part probably coming from either or both the Bettermaker limiter and the lyra clipping, or maybe he brought back the PL2 too..?
Hope it helps!

Last edited by E Artsy Moods; 16th November 2017 at 09:09 AM..
Old 16th November 2017
Just an idea for an acquarius update: maybe you could add a choice to instal all VST/AU/AAX at once? I use many DAWs here and that would be very cool.
Plus maybe enabling a "waiting" option, I mean I selected many plugins at once to update, and then the first begins and the other are on "Waiting" mode, and when the first plugin is updated the second one begins its update?? Sorry if this has been already discussed before
Old 16th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I felt the same way as my studio computer is offline also. I have Aquarius on my laptop, you download everything there and update as necessary, then just move the files over to your studio comp and authorize in your dashboard like always, but once you have it authorized you'll just move any updates over. It has worked flawlessly thus far, it's great getting the update info for everything you have, then the option to update all or just one file, hit all and go make dinner and when you return everything is ready.

I've been impressed with Aquarius to this point, AA are really making this the program to beat IMHO.
Thanks for the tip!
I'd be switching between a Mac and a PC. Is Aquarius available on Mac yet?
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali.bre View Post
Thanks for the tip!
I'd be switching between a Mac and a PC. Is Aquarius available on Mac yet?
Yes there is
Old 16th November 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats View Post
I have 16gb RAM, will I really notice the difference with AA tech by boosting up to 32gb? I’ve read in so many places that 16gb more than enough for audio but this was not taking into account the AA factor requiring more power, should I upgrade? Will it really add anything noticeable?
Cheers
Yeah, I'd upgrade your processor and ram together. We upgraded from an i5 2 cores with 16gb of ram to an i9 10 cores at 128gb of ram (some call it overkill some call it future proofing lol). As I've been mixing with loads of Acustica and Slate plugins.. I've gotten up to using 20gb of ram Of the 128gb (60 tracks, all with slat s VTM and VCC and all 15 vocal tracks with one of Acustica channel strips, and the instrumental tracks with a comp or Eq by acustica). I haven't seen what my max is yet to crash the CPU though. And I work on Pro stools which is the worse daw combination with acustica lol. So all that to say, yes 32gb should be good with Acustica! 64 to be extra extra safe, 128 if you crazy like me. If you want most noticeable upgrade your processor and ram together!
Old 17th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
Another cool thing is Drive on the way in to an Acqua or Nebula, just soft clipping the last db or two, and hard-clips at 0dbfs so it will protect Nebula from overloads...
But say you have a chain of N4 instances, mic>mic pre>console line in>console out>tape etc, are you using multiple instances of Drive in between all of these, or just one at the start or end of the chain?
Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
But say you have a chain of N4 instances, mic>mic pre>console line in>console out>tape etc, are you using multiple instances of Drive in between all of these, or just one at the start or end of the chain?
The way I use it, depends on which piece of gear or what the intention is. If I have a preamp I would just use a very light/invisible type of clipper after it... or maybe before it. But a tube-based compressor or something like that.. you'd need to think about that piece of gear, that circuit, and what ground you aren't covering using just Nebula.

Is there any specific piece in the chain that you're interested in? Can't say I can tell you EXACTLY how to soft clip an aged nebula program like a Neve or whatever, but knowing Neve is class A transistor based and transformer balanced, maybe one could suggest where to start or what to look into.

Perhaps this kind of talk should get it's its own little place, so this thread stays OT... I have some ideas for something like that.
Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
The way I use it, depends on which piece of gear or what the intention is. If I have a preamp I would just use a very light/invisible type of clipper after it... or maybe before it. But a tube-based compressor or something like that.. you'd need to think about that piece of gear, that circuit, and what ground you aren't covering using just Nebula.

Is there any specific piece in the chain that you're interested in? Can't say I can tell you EXACTLY how to soft clip an aged nebula program like a Neve or whatever, but knowing Neve is class A transistor based and transformer balanced, maybe one could suggest where to start or what to look into.

Perhaps this kind of talk should get it's its own little place, so this thread stays OT... I have some ideas for something like that.
I'd be interested in that kind of thread.
Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
I'd be interested in that kind of thread.
I'd love to hear from you, Rosewood! Anybody else too.

Crafting circuit models using plugins
Old 17th November 2017
Guys, I just heard the new Studio DMI LIFT plugin in action in a video they just released only for members of the studio DMI Alliance...

In short: It's ****in awesome!!!!!

Now, that LIFT plugin is a game changer, way more than usual eqs or comp etc!!!
It's a really original plugin.

It's really like an hardware chain with many parts which can interact in various ways and produce subtle (or obvious) colors on top of shaping tools to control the sound.

Not sure how to describe it yet, but I would say that it's a plugin which is able to bring sounds forward A LOT, kinda like what peoples are trying to do with OTT and saturator in Ableton by brute force, but here you have many choices to do it with finesse and have many ways to control the dynamics/balance/loudness and what part you want to bring forward.

And everything is smooth sounding.

Still, the plugin is the opposite of cluttered... amazing
Cant wait to see the sound of LIFT invade all the future electronic releases!!

Big congratz to the Acustica Audio + Studio DMI teams!!
Congratz to Luca and Scott for creating a new high quality, brilliantly simple and powerful extraordinary plugin!!
Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear

Yes Lift is really a nice tool with separate control of saturation and clipping, I'm still wrapping my head around the different modes in the comp but thus far it is another AA DMI collaboration winner for modern music manipulation. I love the fact that we have the modern sounding Lift and the vintage sounding Ruby coming out around the same time, this type of tool versatility is what will put AA on top. IMHO nobody is dropping tools from such respected people with such different philosophical tonal directions today.
Old 18th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Yes there is

I can't find that on the website. I see there's a thread on the AA forum but the link attached to the first post, doesn't work.

Could someone point me in the right direction?
Old 18th November 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali.bre View Post
I can't find that on the website. I see there's a thread on the AA forum but the link attached to the first post, doesn't work.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Login to your dashboard at acustica. Bottom tight corner link to Aquarius. Open the aquarius portable folder.
Old 18th November 2017
Gear Guru

It seems I have a bit of a customer service issue. I emailed support from my normal email address (that I use fr AA account) to ask how much transfer fees it would cost me to sell Pink and Honey. They mailed back if I am a customer of AA I should start a ticket and ask support. Thought I was already speaking to support, but you know. Instead of just telling me.....so I open a ticket to ask support , and get back a paragraph of the transfer rules, which however do not add up to giving me the answer, so still in the dark. It must be pretty trivial to see on my AA account what exact fee it would cost, but after asking yet again I am now being ignored altogether.

I have to say, GC, the customer service of your shop still stinks. The replies are often so short it's basically dismissive to start, and then you get sent round the block instead of just sorting it with one email response. And then, when asking again, completely being ignored is pretty spectacular.

Any ideas how I can find out the answer to my trivial question, or am I hostage in AA world?
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
It seems I have a bit of a customer service issue. I emailed support from my normal email address (that I use fr AA account) to ask how much transfer fees it would cost me to sell Pink and Honey. They mailed back if I am a customer of AA I should start a ticket and ask support. Thought I was already speaking to support, but you know. Instead of just telling me.....so I open a ticket to ask support , and get back a paragraph of the transfer rules, which however do not add up to giving me the answer, so still in the dark. It must be pretty trivial to see on my AA account what exact fee it would cost, but after asking yet again I am now being ignored altogether.

I have to say, GC, the customer service of your shop still stinks. The replies are often so short it's basically dismissive to start, and then you get sent round the block instead of just sorting it with one email response. And then, when asking again, completely being ignored is pretty spectacular.

Any ideas how I can find out the answer to my trivial question, or am I hostage in AA world?
They are asking you raise a ticket lately because we can track them and the guy is different, and they can get easily details about you
Other point, it could be a long task
Just tell them which products you want to sell and they will calculate the fee
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

Guys, the new Aquarius, does install all sample rates? Or we have after to upgrade manually to the 48-88.2 kHz?
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

When available ... AQUARIUS will handle all Installs, Updates ... including Samplerate packages.
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
Guys, the new Aquarius, does install all sample rates? Or we have after to upgrade manually to the 48-88.2 kHz?
All products on aquarius are implementing all sample rates - when they were available in original products, so around 90% of cases
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks men!
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post

I tried to sell my AA plugins but decided not to because they charge a 10% fee and also the 25% "gift for you" coupons + presale discount. Lets say I wanted to sell a plugin that would cost 150$ at their store. Even If I charged 100$ for it I would not get to keep more then 40$ or something

I did buy most on my plugins on presale + 25%. If you bought them at full price you would obviously get more.
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

The latest Aquarius (OSX) crashes when trying to install the Lemon update.
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Try to install from purchased page again, sometimes it fixes it. I've reported your issue to franci
Old 19th November 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
They are asking you raise a ticket lately because we can track them and the guy is different, and they can get easily details about you
Other point, it could be a long task
Just tell them which products you want to sell and they will calculate the fee
That is exactly what I did. They just sent me a little chunk of a pdf, no text at all. You might want to address that, because whether a language issue or not, that drops this end feeling pretty abrupt, bordering callous/IDGAF.

I am quite amazed actually, because I have had moments of opening AA support email throughout, since years ago, that dropped like that in my mail. I remember the first time I got mail from Enrique and just lost my jaw on the floor thinking 'You what??". If your products were not so unique and people could get them elsewhere I suspect this aspect alone would have killed your entire business by now.
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Try to install from purchased page again, sometimes it fixes it. I've reported your issue to franci
Worked from the Purchased page, thanks.

BTW - it would be a lot better to be able to multiple select the formats (VST/AU etc) you want installed, rather than having to repeat the process for each one.
Old 19th November 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffo View Post
I tried to sell my AA plugins but decided not to because they charge a 10% fee and also the 25% "gift for you" coupons + presale discount. Lets say I wanted to sell a plugin that would cost 150$ at their store. Even If I charged 100$ for it I would not get to keep more then 40$ or something

I did buy most on my plugins on presale + 25%. If you bought them at full price you would obviously get more.
Sounds like it might not be worth me selling either then. But it would be nice to at least FIND OUT from AA what my specific charges would be before potentially deciding to just sit back down and suck it up.

Does feel like somewhat of an illusion, this 'you can now sell AA plugs on' lark. More like 'you are free to give them away and pay us some more charges, which we have designed such that most people won't bother us with the transfer hassle'.....

Can't help but start to feel a little moody inside here......this is not an enjoyable experience anymore.
Old 19th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Please contact me on [email protected]

Thx!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search