The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acustica audio acqua plugins general discussion Dynamics Plugins
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsotericMetal View Post
I've been wanting to try out Acustica's stuff for years but there were always some things stopping me:

- I keep hearing that Acustica's stuff is super buggy and inefficient CPU-wise. Is this still true (i'm on a a mac)? Also, no AU's for all your products in 2015 does not look good.
- Their website is not clear and intuitive. Not good for prospective customers to find some things out without spending some time searching through stuff. Most of the info seems out of date or irrelevant for most people just looking for some info on how the plugins work.
- The 3D renderings of the plugins are silly and the lack of actual screenshots make no sense. I can't even find a single screenshot of Nebula to see how the interface works. Why on earth would you spend all this time (and therefore money) on making all these detailed 3D renderings that are completely useless to most people?
- The different versions of Nebula seem pointless and just add to the confusion to prospective customers.

If you go to any other plugin company's site you rarely see this level of obfuscation. While i'm sure the technology is impressive and sophisticated, they are failing really hard in some very basic ways. I keep hearing how awesome they sound, but right now I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole as i'm not convinced that they are a responsible and professional company. A lot of that would be mitigated by a website with clear information on it....
I can only speak for acustica aqua plugins , i only use core 6 stuff thoug and they are not buggy on logic x or studio one 3 on mavericks mac mini i7 late 2012. They use some cpu , i only have aqua eq's yet , i can run 12 instanses of honey with everything pressed in including pre, vca and filters , i normally dont engage everyting , i use te aquas most for boosting and algos for cutting and then i getting more like 24 instances if i want to
And we will soon see core 7 in september that will possibly will most likely improve on cpu usage and more
Old 30th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
I really hope titanium is going to be core 7 and you are not the first to say the blue is great so i hope for core 7 on that one as well and the Pearl completely agree absolutely stunning i cant live without it now that im used to it

It all started with the Honey for me, i was trialing the new uad neve 88rs collection and was pretty impressed until i sort of just stumbeled over Acustica aqua and gave Honey a shot , it was a mush better eq than the eq of the 88rs mk2 to my ears ,
so after i got that i vent for a complementary eq and i choose Ivory , really nice eq to , Ivory and Pearl are a killer combo on the master
it was because of the Amber trial i wanted a clean eq because i liked the sound a lot, but i think the Ivory was the wisest choise for me because it has lots of insert point so its more versitale and it turned out be a little smoother to

You mention sidecain filter , i got a trick that is sort of a fake sidechain filter its of course not exactly the same but it can work , you could add a lo shelf filter before you hit the compressor so the compressor dont work so hard on the low , and bost up the lo again with the same lo shelf settings after
I resently did a shootout between the uad Fairchild mk2 and the Ultramarine
My first tought was that the ultramarine had more clarity , so i just said to my self whye

I took a low shef before uaFC mk2 and took out 2-3 db at 60 hz , damn now they sounded pretty close in clarity, so it seems to me that the Ultramarine has some rollof in the lows, i have to check this on more tracks though to make sure it wasent just a fluke or something haha
I see what you mean about adding a lowshelf before the comp.

i have the uad mkii fairchild but i havent even tried the acqua marine demo yet...
i also havent tried ivory yet as im afraid ill want to buy it.

i could compare them myself, but do you feel the acqua marine is worth it, if you have the uad fairchild?

For me its probably not worth it and i shouldnt buy anymore plugins..
In fact, i feel like ive wasted so much money over the years buying uad plugins and what not.. although i mostly bought their compressors and not the eqs.
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopan View Post
where did someone read that there would be no audio units for plugins in 2015??

or im reading that wrong? no updates to audio units in 2015?
Do you mean aqua stuff ?
Old 30th July 2015
Gear Maniac

yeah.
arent they all audio units now..
im just reading something incorrectly
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see what you mean about adding a lowshelf before the comp.

i have the uad mkii fairchild but i havent even tried the acqua marine demo yet...
i also havent tried ivory yet as im afraid ill want to buy it.

i could compare them myself, but do you feel the acqua marine is worth it, if you have the uad fairchild?

For me its probably not worth it and i shouldnt buy anymore plugins..
In fact, i feel like ive wasted so much money over the years buying uad plugins and what not.. although i mostly bought their compressors and not the eqs.
Its because of the fairchild mk2 im not gonna get it ,at least not for now , im waiting for the aqua Ivory comp to be honest , a little lo shelf before the FCmk2 got me very close to the Ultramarine sound in clarity , and you can push the ua FCmk2 harder before it starts to sound unatural to so i think that the Ultramarine its not the first of the new aqua compressor you should get if you have the Fairchild mk2 , i may grab the ultramarine on black friday if they got a good deal on it, but by then there could be some other aqua stuff i want in stead but with the 3 aqua eqs i got now really is enough to get whatever job done so i dont really nead any more eq's , im gonna focus on the things i jut feel missing now and thats a compressor with an incredible tone and the titanium could be it if it gives me to mush latency then i print it to track and move on hehe
Amber is not a bad eq at all just so you know Ivory is not way better than amber in sound , tiny bit smoother i will say , the biggest difference between them to me is that ivory got way more insert points , that is of cource wery useful on the master but you got the pearl so i would say on master run pearl and amber for boosting and a digital eq you like for cuts and you will be good and a new free aqua eq called Ochre is coming in august to and i think its gonna sound great i got uad to , absolutely love theyre la-2a , 1176 , and fairchild mk2 , also like theyre reverbs very mush , but do almost newer use theyre eq's anymore after i discovered aqua eq's, and infact now that im into these lovely aquas external dsp plugins suddenly become more important than ever to me
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah.
arent they all audio units now..
im just reading something incorrectly
I think its just the red that isent au 64
Old 30th July 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
i have a few acqua plugins as well as nebula now.

the murano and magenta...well i have both, i find murano difficult to use.

Comments on here and other forums about how the compressor's controls are wonky and then subsequently working hard to find a sweet spot are true.

Magenta i didnt care too much for either. I have the UAD massive passive. It works a little bit more like the hardware i imagine. But the tone of magenta is better. But then again ive never used the hardware so i really have no idea. I did think the filters on magenta were kinda terrible.

I also own blue, amber, and the red is free but it doesnt work in logic at all.

They are all great. Blue is amazing but the latency ruins it for me.

Now i also own Pearl. That eq is stunning. Ive never heard anything like it.

But if you want to try some great compressors in the meantime, get nebula and try the compressor libraries from tim petherick.

I got the Blue mu Comp/Limit and the LA3a he did. they are really nice.

the Blue mu comp on the mix bus works better than the acqua comps as far as im concerned, and just about any algo plugin ive heard.

the new klanghelm mjuc is also really great from what ive heard.

Back to Titanium...I own that as well. Its easier for me to work than murano but i do wish, like others have said, that it had a side chain filter. but that's not in the hardware.

The latency also kinda ruins it for me as well, unless youre just mixing, as i like to compose and mix as i go.

Just my two cents. doesnt mean im right about all that.

I would agree on most of these, Magenta filters are awful. Tim really has amazing plugins, Opto compressor is killer!
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

im not really a nebula guy( maby i should be , is some of the Tim p stuff compatible with nebula free ? or any ting else compatible with free that is real good ?
would be nice to try some of the really good stuff out on nebula free before i decide to go for the pro version

and for you guys that knows this stuff
what is the big difference between nebula free and nebula pro ?

thanks for answers in advance
Old 30th July 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
im not really a nebula guy( maby i should be , is some of the Tim p stuff compatible with nebula free ? or any ting else compatible with free that is real good ?
would be nice to try some of the really good stuff out on nebula free before i decide to go for the pro version

and for you guys that knows this stuff
what is the big difference between nebula free and nebula pro ?

thanks for answers in advance
free stuff are generally not something worthy, Tim has opto compressor for 20 quid which is really decent price, and guy made nice gui to it.

you have comparison of nebulas on AA webiste, personally I do not use original AA nebula libraries, there are amazing ones from Alex B and Tim for example.

IMO Nebula is half product with some amazing sounding libraries (third party), so if you can get over their terrible workflow you might enjoy some sounds you get out of it.
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtom View Post
free stuff are generally not something worthy, Tim has opto compressor for 20 quid which is really decent price, and guy made nice gui to it.
i did not mean that the library`s them self should be free i just thought if some of them that cost money and are great sounding is compatible with the nebula free , it would be a great way to see if i could overcome the workflow

i would hate to buy nebula pro and ending up not using it hehe
i have tried the nebula free once and i did not really digg it , some awesome sound in it has to convince me ,
there's a reason why im a aqua guy
Old 30th July 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
i did not mean that the library`s them self should be free i just thought if some of them that cost money and are great sounding is compatible with the nebula free , it would be a great way to see if i could overcome the workflow

i would hate to buy nebula pro and ending up not using it hehe
i have tried the nebula free once and i did not really digg it , some awesome sound in it has to convince me ,
there's a reason why im a aqua guy
check this video, Tim brought Nebula to another level IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWuyyI_jR2s
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Acqua plugins are super simple, just demo them..... you will have a hard time using algo EQ plugins again if you do.
oh yes sir , its quite impossible to go back, i have been very skeptical of nebula tech for years , but there's no way back when it comes to aqua eq`s for me. I really diden`t believe it was so mush better but man i was wrong

how is this possible that so many people seems to just think of you as a complete idiot if you ever mention Acustica aqua in a non aqua/nebula thread hahaha ever got that feeling before? they really don't know what they're missing
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
check this video, Tim brought Nebula to another level IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWuyyI_jR2s
this looks quite interesting does the skins just pop up to when you load his different library`s or is it more clunky than that ,
it seems that 2015 really is the year for both Nebula and Aqua to me

but just to be clear , Tim`s stuff only works with nebula pro , im i right ?
Old 30th July 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
this looks quite interesting does the skins just pop up to when you load his different library`s or is it more clunky than that ,
it is 2-3 clicks...

Quote:
but just to be clear , Tim`s stuff only works with nebula pro , im i right ?
yes
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
how is this possible that so many people seems to just think of you as a complete idiot if you ever mention Acustica aqua in a non aqua/nebula thread hahaha ever got that feeling before? they really don't know what they're missing
Many falsely believe that the current algo plugins they mix with are the best you can have in the box. Also, because this is the internet, where any fool can voice their opinion, most don't believe anybody that says anything about the Nebula technology. I've gone to the trouble of even emailing my big console & big analogue mixes, & digital with and without Nebula mixes to people, just so they can hear what I've been saying about Nebula. Proof is in the hearing.

As a pro Engineer, I felt I had an obligation to my peers to speak up when I found a better tool for in the box work. I just never thought I would be attacked so hard for it, lol. To each their own.
Old 30th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
it seems that 2015 really is the year for both Nebula and Aqua to me
Nebula Setups is your friend. You can create a specific VST plus XML for each and every preset you choose. Including your settings for buffers, programrate. timed and freqd modifications etc. and your desired skin as well.
Old 30th July 2015
Gear Nut
My impressions from using the demos of titanium, red eq, and magenta.

I hate the feel of the plug ins. The photo realistic angled 3d graphics is just not cool imo. The rotation of the knobs is horrible.. Hate all that parallax error. Why is that considered nice? Also, The buttons are latent.

Not too heavy on the cpu but it feels all heavy and clunky cos of the horrible gui imo. eugh.

I think the valhalla plugs show the best use of plugin gui design. Smooth and simple. Highly useable. Straight to the point.

They are crashy, eg when i copy and paste plugs it brings the host down more often than i like.

Ok,. the sound does impart a 3d effect that is intriguing. The gain, and eq sound does seem very real...i think.

Also, better would be a timed usage demo that states how many hours left, not a time trial that gets forgotten about, and then becomes redundant.

Overall, sound great, but I'm not buying in yet.

Last edited by wafa; 30th July 2015 at 04:31 PM..
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMaus View Post
Nebula Setups is your friend. You can create a specific VST plus XML for each and every preset you choose. Including your settings for buffers, programrate. timed and freqd modifications etc. and your desired skin as well.
can you do this for AU's ?
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafa View Post

I hate the feel of the plug ins. The photo realistic angled 3d graphics is just not cool imo. The rotation of the knobs is horrible.. Hate all that parallax error. Why is that considered nice? Also, The buttons are latent.

Not too heavy on the cpu but it feels all heavy and clunky cos of the horrible gui imo. eugh.

I think the valhalla plugs show the best use of plugin gui design. Smooth and simple. Highly useable. Straight to the point.

They are crashy, eg when i copy and paste plugs it brings the host down more often than i like.

Ok,. the sound does impart a 3d effect that is intriguing. The gain, and eq sound does seem very real...i think.

Also, better would be a timed usage demo that states how many hours left, not a time trial that gets forgotten about, and then becomes redundant.

fair enough... all little niggles that I'm prepared to overlook, in general they are very functional and the sound cannot be surpassed by anything else as TTBOMK, tone is everything in my book

Last edited by gussyg2007; 30th July 2015 at 06:04 PM..
Old 30th July 2015
[QUOTE=Funtom;11224251]it is 2-3 clicks...

What are those clicks? I seem to always get my skins all messed up. Is there someplace to find out a quick way to match skins with program. Thanks
Old 30th July 2015
Gear Nut

[QUOTE=RKeefe1032;11224710]
Quote:
it is 2-3 clicks...

What are those clicks? I seem to always get my skins all messed up. Is there someplace to find out a quick way to match skins with program. Thanks
Skin name is usually same as plugin name. Try using txt file, write XXX-XXXPlugin-XXXSkin then after checking that file 2-3 times you will remember which skin goes with what, there is also some third party software for automation but i did not try that, for those 10 skins i use i remembered which goes with what...

hopefully nebula 4 will sort that out
Old 30th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
can you do this for AU's ?
Yes, the latest Nebula Setups 2.5 can create 64 bit AU plugins as well.
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafa View Post

i really like the photo realistic angled 3d graphics
so that's just a matter of taste, im a long time UAD user so im so used to those kind of 3d looking plugins,
but the most important is of course the sound

i also have Valhalla vintage verb and that gui its ok with me to

and now when Titanium is confirmed being ported to core7 we should see some big improvements i think at least on latency , but i suspect more improvements than that and improvements on the other aquas going core7 will increase performance as well so im wery exited right now and im very happy to see older plugins dont get left in the dust now i can buy Titanium with confidence
Old 31st July 2015
Lives for gear

So far we have 13 Acqua plugins. 10 are Eq's and 3 are compressors. How about reverbs?

Would be awesome if reverb units like Bricasti M7 and Lexicon 480 can be ported over to Acqua format.

Another item i do look forward to if they can port over is Ubk Fatso.
Old 31st July 2015
Lives for gear

When Nebula 4 hits, it will be killing the verbs market and if it's running an efficient Core7.... watch out!
FWIW, STN verbs and Gene Lennon's verbs are very under rated with fantastic results.... if your CPU can manage, lol.
Old 31st July 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
When Nebula 4 hits, it will be killing the verbs market and if it's running an efficient Core7.... watch out!
FWIW, STN verbs and Gene Lennon's verbs are very under rated with fantastic results.... if your CPU can manage, lol.
I like their verbs too!

I also agree with you that reverb should stay with Nebula..
Old 31st July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Would be awesome if reverb units like Bricasti M7 and Lexicon 480 can be ported over to Acqua format.

Another item i do look forward to if they can port over is Ubk Fatso.
This^^^
Old 31st July 2015
Lives for gear

Michael Angel and Henry Olonga were working on a Bricasti library with the very owners of Bricasti Design, Brian and Casey. They allowed the sampling but it had to be free for everyone. I don't know what happened there and that was years ago. I remember once Michael said it was no easy task.

Anyways, a reverb is not for acqua. It wouldn't work on that form, I think. That's a Nebula duty.
Old 31st July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Michael Angel and Henry Olonga were working on a Bricasti library with the very owners of Bricasti Design, Brian and Casey. They allowed the sampling but it had to be free for everyone. I don't know what happened there and that was years ago. I remember once Michael said it was no easy task.

Anyways, a reverb is not for acqua. It wouldn't work on that form, I think. That's a Nebula duty.
i wouldn't mind be proven wrong on that one
Aqua is noting more than nebula in a great skin and stand alone plugins with a pretty great workflow as far as i know
so i dont see the reason why it should not work

i got noting against nebula it self , im just a little scared i could easily losing my self in it trying everything there is and completely forget about writing and recording songs hehe
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search