The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Windows 10 is rolling out... share your experiences here
Old 14th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
It also removed some try before you buy daw plugins!

No they weren't legit but it's my test rig and I don't need Microsoft going threw my personal stuff like that.
Old 14th July 2016
Quote:
It removes my special version of VMware that I use to test software. It also removed some try before you buy daw plugins!

No they weren't legit but it's my test rig and I don't need Microsoft going threw my personal stuff like that.

As much as I like Windows 10, removing my installed items was it for me. I'm taking it off of all of my machines.
I know the license agreement says it's possible, but I'm not aware of us actively removing *any* software.

I can understand the VMware one given that it's a huge name, although, again, I'm not aware of us doing this. When you say "special version" do you mean "cracked"?

But the plugins part makes no sense. It's a super tiny segment of the market that only a small number of us inside MS pay detailed attention to. Sounds like either a bug or they're there and it's a path / location problem. Can you LMK the exact plugin names?

The upgrade is basically an OS reinstall. Things can fall through the cracks. When it comes to compatibility, I know for a fact (because I get it myself) that we throw up a warning that the software won't work correctly. We don't uninstall it.

Pete
Old 14th July 2016
Quote:
You should be fine with that, you will just lose your privacy moving to Windows 10. It boots fast and run great! The monitor option work very well!

Screen shot
Windows key+ X

Are both amazing that speed up getting around!

Microsoft spying on me
@ DAW PLUS mentioned you can just do some admin maintenance on the elicenser rather than reinstall it.

Pete
Old 15th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Hulu in the browser, I assume? Are you using Edge or something else?

Pete
I tried edge and chrome both do the same and yes in the browser.
Old 15th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbr33ze View Post
I tried edge and chrome both do the same and yes in the browser.
If you haven't already tried disabling HW acceleration (as a test), I recommend you try that.

In chrome, go to chrome://settings/ and click the link for advanced settings. Uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available" under the System heading. Close all instances of Chrome, and then try your video.

While you're at it, can you right-click the start button (or do Windows+X), choose "command prompt" and then type "ver" at the prompt, and paste in the result.

Thanks.

Pete
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

So now that Windows 10 will no longer be free, will earlier versions of Windows continue to pester users to update?
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
So now that Windows 10 will no longer be free, will earlier versions of Windows continue to pester users to update?
I would love to know. I have updates turned off on my Windows 7 installation and haven't updated in months and months because I just don't have time to weed through all the damn KB numbers trying to figure out which one is Microsoft trying to slip in a sleazy installation of Windows 10.

I'd love to update windows 7 at some point but I still have updates turned off. I'm using GWX control panel to stop windows 10 from installing but it doesn't mean I trust updates to not try to slip it in when I'm not paying attention.
Old 15th July 2016
Quote:
You should be fine with that, you will just lose your privacy moving to Windows 10. It boots fast and run great! The monitor option work very well!

Screen shot
Windows key+ X

Are both amazing that speed up getting around!

Microsoft spying on me
I've commented on the "spying" several times in this thread. Most of what you read on that is deliberate misinterpretation.

Pete
Old 15th July 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
I know the license agreement says it's possible, but I'm not aware of us actively removing *any* software.
I had software removed by the upgrade on two machines. Piriform Speccy was removed on both and an additional app I don't recall was removed on one. It was a while ago and IIRC Win10 notified me that 'some software has been removed' without specifics. I agree that the plugins removal doesn't make sense.
Old 15th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks View Post
I had software removed by the upgrade on two machines. Piriform Speccy was removed on both and an additional app I don't recall was removed on one. It was a while ago and IIRC Win10 notified me that 'some software has been removed' without specifics. I agree that the plugins removal doesn't make sense.
Ahh yes. I see that with Speccy
https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=45028

I'm still curious about vmware, though, as many people run vmware on PCs.

Pete
Old 15th July 2016
Motown legend

Free VMware upgraded perfectly on my ProTools PC.
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've commented on the "spying" several times in this thread. Most of what you read on that is deliberate misinterpretation.

Pete
Thanks Pete, my software that I installed was removed from Windows 10. This happened after Windows 10 was fully installed and up and running. This did not happen during an Windows 10 update.

I'm running the all my software on a seperate Windows 7 machine with great success.

If you're here to give honest help, can you stop acting like you don't know what's going on?

I do IT for a living, I'm a system admin so I'm well aware of what I'm doing.

Windows 10 does remove software, where as pre W10 I never had this issue.

Microsoft are power hungry and it will start to hurt them just like their Xbox One rollout policies that almost killed the console completely.
Old 15th July 2016
Quote:
Thanks Pete, my software that I installed was removed from Windows 10. This happened after Windows 10 was fully installed and up and running. This did not happen during an Windows 10 update.

I'm running the all my software on a seperate Windows 7 machine with great success.

If you're here to give honest help, can you stop acting like you don't know what's going on?

Microsoft are power hungry and it will start to hurt them just like their Xbox One rollout policies that almost killed the console completely.
I wasn't aware of *any* software removal because I've never seen it personally (and I run a lot of weird stuff), or in any of my other circles (software developers, hardware developers, makers, other musicians etc.). I've now seen a single verified case where the user was notified it wasn't compatible, the vendor also said it wasn't compatible and asked people not to run it on Windows 10. This was with the fall update.

There's a claim here of Windows removing some VSTs and VMware, but it hasn't been backed up (and has been countered by others and by what I've seen in a search), and the person said piracy was involved. Too many variables and too little evidence there for me to take the claim seriously and be able to do anything with it. There's no "acting" involved.

Tell me what software exactly you've seen removed as part of the install, as well as any details around it. That's info I can do something with.

Now. What you were replying to was my reply to your claim about privacy. Like I said, I've countered that many times here in the past using actual info. As you are experienced and in IT for a living, I'm a bit surprised you'd repeat that trope. The only thing a Pro user can't turn off is error reporting. As you are in IT, you know that you have control over even that in the Enterprise SKU. In this very thread, others initially reported that things they *thought* were privacy violations turned out not to be (example was auto searching the web) and the initial data they collected was flawed.

I'm not hiding anything from you guys. Microsoft is a huge company, and Windows is a huge product. Even as connected as I am with the rest of Windows engineering, it's possible for me to be surprised from time to time with something I didn't realize. (example: speccy). I really don't appreciate the implication that I'm being dishonest in these replies.

Pete
Old 15th July 2016
Quote:
The requirement for a regular Internet connection was a bit too forward-looking, a legitimate concern for some buyers, and would eliminate some markets. But you do realize that approach was largely about being able to gift games and resell your downloaded games, right? It was going to go a long way to help eliminate disks. We did a crappy job explaining that, and when we finally did, the Court of the Internet had already made up its opinion. Now, instead, people can resell only their disks through third-parties and at the usual tiny buyback amount.

Fast forward three years, and anecdotally, the majority of people buy their games via download. There's no resale or gifting of that, though.

It's a bit like how all the sites picked up on some privacy info in Windows 10 that was reported by a disreputable site, repeated time and again, and then shown to be nowhere near reality. So many journalists today go for the clickbait without bothering to find out the facts. Then it gets lodged in the collective conscience.

Pete
Old 15th July 2016
And to be super crisp: I've never knowingly said something false about MS/Windows/Privacy/Licensing/etc. in-person or online, including these forums.

Pete
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wasn't aware of *any* software removal because I've never seen it personally (and I run a lot of weird stuff), or in any of my other circles (software developers, hardware developers, makers, other musicians etc.). I've now seen a single verified case where the user was notified it wasn't compatible, the vendor also said it wasn't compatible and asked people not to run it on Windows 10. This was with the fall update.

There's a claim here of Windows removing some VSTs and VMware, but it hasn't been backed up (and has been countered by others and by what I've seen in a search), and the person said piracy was involved. Too many variables and too little evidence there for me to take the claim seriously and be able to do anything with it. There's no "acting" involved.

Tell me what software exactly you've seen removed as part of the install, as well as any details around it. That's info I can do something with.

Now. What you were replying to was my reply to your claim about privacy. Like I said, I've countered that many times here in the past using actual info. As you are experienced and in IT for a living, I'm a bit surprised you'd repeat that trope. The only thing a Pro user can't turn off is error reporting. As you are in IT, you know that you have control over even that in the Enterprise SKU. In this very thread, others initially reported that things they *thought* were privacy violations turned out not to be (example was auto searching the web) and the initial data they collected was flawed.

I'm not hiding anything from you guys. Microsoft is a huge company, and Windows is a huge product. Even as connected as I am with the rest of Windows engineering, it's possible for me to be surprised from time to time with something I didn't realize. (example: speccy). I really don't appreciate the implication that I'm being dishonest in these replies.

Pete
You know what's really happening lol
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 10 is rolling out... share your experiences here-image.jpg  
Old 15th July 2016
Quote:
You know what's really happening lol
Here's the reddit thread the article refers to:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...ving_software/

And no, I wasn't aware of that at the time. Like I said, no one in any of my circles had any similar issues, and I don't spend any time with the setup/upgrade team.

But do please continue to snark away.

At the same time, there's no mention of VMWare or VSTs being removed. Given how VSTs are installed, I'm still having a difficult time understanding how that one could be possible. Do you have anything in your event log from around that time that shows an uninstall?

Now, you did mention that you had software removed *after* an update, during normal operation? Can you elaborate with specifics? There's no process monitoring apps and installing/uninstalling them during normal operation.

Pete
Old 15th July 2016
Related: My PC here is on the Insider fast ring. I built this PC in January. I go through the entire upgrade process a couple times a month. Nothing lost yet, however, I did not upgrade it from 7 or 8.1.

Pete
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
The requirement for a regular Internet connection was a bit too forward-looking, a legitimate concern for some buyers, and would eliminate some markets. But you do realize that approach was largely about being able to gift games and resell your downloaded games, right? It was going to go a long way to help eliminate disks. We did a crappy job explaining that, and when we finally did, the Court of the Internet had already made up its opinion. Now, instead, people can resell only their disks through third-parties and at the usual tiny buyback amount.

Fast forward three years, and anecdotally, the majority of people buy their games via download. There's no resale or gifting of that, though.

It's a bit like how all the sites picked up on some privacy info in Windows 10 that was reported by a disreputable site, repeated time and again, and then shown to be nowhere near reality. So many journalists today go for the clickbait without bothering to find out the facts. Then it gets lodged in the collective conscience.

Pete
thanks again Pete! That's part of the story, but let's talk about the rest.

No internet and not being able to play single player games. Basically your gaming system would shut down. Needing an Internet connection while the Kinect(that has a HD camera and microphone that's always watching and listening, was mandatory. Some of the system resources were allocated to that function which lowered the game playing performance.

It was called the SpyBox One.

Now Windows 10 rolls out and software mysteriously gets deleted.

Say what you must, but this never happened before.
Old 15th July 2016
Quote:
thanks again Pete! That's part of the story, but let's talk about the rest.

No internet and not being able to play single player games. Basically your gaming system would shut down. Needing an Internet connection while the Kinect(that has a HD camera and microphone that's always watching and listening, was mandatory. Some of the system resources were allocated to that function which lowered the game playing performance.

It was called the SpyBox One.

Now Windows 10 rolls out and software mysteriously gets deleted.

Say what you must, but this never happened before.
The rest of the story is not nearly as interesting as you make it out to be.

Despite what some journalists were saying, the kinect camera was not (is not) watching until the Xbox is powered on. The camera is on during play so you can use gestures. The mic is on for voice commands. Developers of particularly resource hungry games can turn off the Kinect while the game is being played.

Once the Xbox One is on, it tries to recognize the user (camera and IR face detection) and sign them into their profile, if this was configured. You can also turn this off if you want.

When the camera sensor is on, the light is on.

When the Xbox is powered off, the kinect mic listens only for the word "xbox" and records nothing. It does no processing unless it hears the word "xbox" or the phrase "Xbox On". That's all processed locally. You have always been able to turn that off; and that was always part of the plan.

It's like iPhones listening for "Siri" and android phones listening for "Ok Google". By restricting what they recognize in a low power state, it saves battery/power and greatly simplifies the local processing.

Now, three years later, consumers buy dedicated search appliances which are always listening, like the Amazon Echo, and have their phones set up to always listen as well.

Like I said, the Internet connectivity part, which would actually have the nice benefit of eliminating having to have the disk in the drive to play a game, was a concern for some people. I get that, but there was a real benefit to the feature. Obviously we (Microsoft) eventually got that as well, which is why that whole plan was scrapped.

My kids ruined one game by scratching it all to hell (by just leaving it out and lying around). Unfortunately, they can no longer play that game because I'm not going to buy it again. I have good connectivity here, so under the original plan, the kids would still be able to play that game.

Names like "Spybox One" are not helpful to anyone. It's hyperbole by people creating and repeating bad journalism. Naming something does not make it so.

You can keep spinning this as corporate spying if you really want, but it's not evidence or even factual.

Pete
Old 15th July 2016
That's it for me on this topic. If you want the last word, it's yours.

If, however, you want to provide some details on the software you said was removed during use, I'll look into it.

Pete
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have a hard time believing that anyone who admits they are using cracked software on an Internet forum knows what they are doing to any significant degree.
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
I have a hard time believing that anyone who admits they are using cracked software on an Internet forum knows what they are doing to any significant degree.
Yea that makes sense. I test software and sometimes use ISOs and let them run for 90 days without have a legit key. Sue me, but it has nothing to do with "if I know what I'm doing". But if that's your level of comprehension, have a blast with that.

I have legit versions of all of the software I use. It's either at work on in my studio.

And yes I use the old version of Cubase 5 on my laptop so I can leave my dongle in my studio running Cubase 8.

My ilok and elicense holds to much weight to be damaged or loss.
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

You can keep spinning this as corporate spying if you really want, but it's not evidence or even factual.

Pete
As far as the SpyBox, just look at Xbox one poor sales and major attempts to redeem itself. I have one so I see the much lower prices vs PS4. You can get a SpyBox for $219 used. It has lost its value already due to MS poor judgement call.

And what I state about W10 removing programs is true, it's all over the net and is the main reason my friend will not touch Windows 10 even though it's free.

So are disputed that are really avoided this W10 update? It's a good OS that people are avoiding

So why would would the Xbox One not play single player games if you isn't connect to the Internet within 24 hours so that all surveillance data can be uploaded again?

Why would any gaming company want to shut down playing single player games because of Internet access? First of all, there no good reason for this type of behavior except for what I already stated.

You explain things very well, and you take a lot of sting off the issue. But you deniel of being aware of these issues is my issue with you.

Not a personal attack because I'm sure you're a great guy, but come on man...

Last edited by classictunz; 16th July 2016 at 12:28 AM..
Old 16th July 2016
I said I wouldn't comment, but one thing I was thinking of when at Lowes this evening, was that it's possible that AV removed your software (you said it happened just during use, not during an upgrade). Check the AV logs/history/quarantine to see if they were removed.

I'm not judging, but a fair bit of pirated software out there contains malware or virus payloads. It's possible a signature was recognized and the software removed.

Other than that, there's nothing I can think of that would remove software during regular use.

As to the rest, it's way OT, and I've said all I care to.

Pete
Old 16th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I said I wouldn't comment, but one thing I was thinking of when at Lowes this evening, was that it's possible that AV removed your software (you said it happened just during use, not during an upgrade). Check the AV logs/history/quarantine to see if they were removed.

I'm not judging, but a fair bit of pirated software out there contains malware or virus payloads. It's possible a signature was recognized and the software removed.

Other than that, there's nothing I can think of that would remove software during regular use.

As to the rest, it's way OT, and I've said all I care to.

Pete
I understand your concern and I appreciate your feedback.

I'm still trying to figure it out as well. I have various systems in my home, they have many Windows OSs on them from 7 threw W10 and only W10 actually loss installed software.

2 of my IT friends confirmed this.

Now I'm all fairness, Windows Defender has removed Key generators and things like that. But I'm not talking about that.

The version of VMware doesn't have a key gem but a serial number and it was only removed from my W10 machine.

Again I'm an IT professional and I know a little bit about Windows. But at the end of the day, my Windows 7 machine is far better(minus the boot time) for my needs.

I'm going to miss hitting the Windows key+ X to get to all of the menus I use most and the Windows + P for projector and monitor settings found in Windows 10. Besides that, I'm better off with W7.
Old 16th July 2016
Lives for gear
@ classictunz

"Thanks Pete"
"thanks again Pete!"
"Yea that makes sense"
"You explain things very well

Sounds like my boss when he poses an order as a question. "Hey Will! Would you mind going to [insert the customer here] and taking care of their problems? It's obviously not a question. But he's learned in "manipulation school" that it comes off more "lenient" sounding and affords him "plausible denial". "I asked him, I didn't tell him". And observers think you sound like you're just being reasonable. Employees know they better do it... or else.

Seems to be your MO.

To some people, it comes naturally. Somebody had to do it first. Most, probably, learned it because it worked.

But then, you attack.

"If you're here to give honest help, can you stop acting like you don't know what's going on?"

You're truly despicable, I only wish I knew if it was intentional or not. Why can't you just state your issues and move on? No. You're smarter than everyone else. "Beware. I'm the prophet!"

NEXT

Google pretty much invented data mining and Apple followed suit. Neither gave you any warnings or allowed you to shut it down. "You want our apps? The features you want require personal information to be sent. Where are you, who are you, what do you like, I need a picture of you (hyperbole), and anything else relevant to YOU. It's just a little bit of information, don't worry." Apple and Google users love it. "LOOK! I just asked where I could get service on my car and all the suggestions were for Toyota dealerships close by! It's a miracle! I worship at your altar Google, Apple." "And there's a friggin' map! Now I got a stiffy!" "Woohoo!"

Do they allow options to shut it down? Some will say "Yeah, Apple allows you to shut off auto-updates", but they're still data mining at every turn, every keystroke, every search, every vocal question. And MS allows you to shut down everything except security updates.

Is Google or Apple here? On this forum? In any way? Pete is. Even when on vacation. Trying to help. Where's Apple, Google, your novias?

Classicnutz. Get a room. Google. Apple. They really love you man. They only have your best interests at heart.

Not like Pete, the evil M$ guy who is trying to help on HIS OWN TIME.

I've already been told to F off by a poster with no consequences in another thread, so I figure I'm going to be short lived here anyway.

Cheers
Old 16th July 2016
Lives for gear

Pete, I find it very strange that you have no knowledge of this. I'm not going to say anymore about it. There's no need to go back and forth as I don't know what you get paid to do for Microsoft.

Your presents here could be to defuse anything negative about Microsoft.

At this point, I no longer trust them and will be staying on pre W10 OSs atleast till 2020...
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 10 is rolling out... share your experiences here-image.jpg  
Old 16th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
@ classictunz

"Thanks Pete"
"thanks again Pete!"
"Yea that makes sense"

Sounds like my boss when he poses an order as a question. "Hey Will! Would you mind going to [insert the customer here] and taking care of their problems? It's obviously not a question. But he's learned in "manipulation school" that it comes off more "lenient" sounding and affords him "plausible denial". "I asked him, I didn't tell him". And observers think you sound like you're just being reasonable. Employees know they better do it... or else.

Seems to be your MO.

To some people, it comes naturally. Somebody had to do it first. Most, probably, learned it because it worked.

But then, you attack.

"If you're here to give honest help, can you stop acting like you don't know what's going on?"

You're truly despicable, I only wish I knew if it was intentional or not. Why can't you just state your issues and move on? No. You're smarter than everyone else. "Beware. I'm the prophet!"

NEXT

Google pretty much invented data mining and Apple followed suit. Neither gave you any warnings or allowed you to shut it down. "You want our apps? The features you want require personal information to be sent. Where are you, who are you, what do you like, I need a picture of you (hyperbole), and anything else relevant to YOU. It's just a little bit of information, don't worry." Apple and Google users love it. "LOOK! I just asked where I could get service on my car and all the suggestions were for Toyota dealerships close by! It's a miracle! I worship at your altar Google, Apple." "And there's a friggin' map! Now I got a stiffy!" "Woohoo!"

Do they allow options to shut it down? Some will say "Yeah, Apple allows you to shut off auto-updates", but they're still data mining at every turn, every keystroke, every search, every vocal question. And MS allows you to shut down everything except security updates.

Is Google or Apple here? On this forum? In any way? Pete is. Even when on vacation. Trying to help. Where's Apple, Google, your novias?

Classicnutz. Get a room. Google. Apple. They really love you man. They only have your best interests at heart.

Not like Pete, the evil M$ guy who is trying to help on HIS OWN TIME.

I've already been told to F off by a poster with no consequences in another thread, so I figure I'm going to be short lived here anyway.

Cheers
Pointless post, my programs we deleted by Windows 10. You mention apple and Google? Why? Should I use edge to look up topics to find other users that it happened too?

Oh what was the point of your post again?
Old 16th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
@ classictunz

"Thanks Pete"
"thanks again Pete!"
"Yea that makes sense"

Cheers
Pointless post, my programs we deleted by Windows 10. You mention apple and Google? Why? Should I use edge to look up topics to find other users that it happened too?

Oh what was the point of your post again?

I'm here to post my experience with Windows 10 and not for Pete to tell me it didn't happened while you guys hit the like button showing each other the support. That 1 like per post sure is funny. Keep up the great support guys...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search