The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Windows 10 is rolling out... share your experiences here
Old 17th October 2019
  #7201
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by playon View Post
And then there is the spyware issue...
So glad you brought that up for the first time in this thread. It needs to be pointed out as it is a real issue.

[/sarcasm]
Old 17th October 2019
  #7202
Quote:
Originally Posted by playon View Post
In a corporate environment where there is a systems admin I'm sure WIndows is fine, but for an individual user, Windows 10 can be a real pain. And then there is the spyware issue...
Lol, no need for an admin. But in the last 240 pages this has already been documented well so no need to explain it for the umpteenth time.

Regarding spyware, take the red pill and enter full reality, please.
Old 17th October 2019
  #7203
Lives for gear
 

Every time an update comes through, my mpg file associations get yanked back to "movies & tv". Which is basically a useless app for me as it can't find codecs that even Windows media player can handle.

Plus, it has a lame dark area at it's lower viewing area. Lame. Vlc, media player, pot player and others work great. Dump movies & tv.

Perhaps movies & tv will someday be split out to the optional install list.

In the meantime, it's a minor pia to see an update come through and realize that I'm also gonna have to blow 10 minutes resetting a bunch of file associations afterwards. Like I had to do night before last....again.
Old 17th October 2019
  #7204
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
One thing I find extremely irritating about windows 10 is that when you put your computer to sleep, windows feels free to wake it up and apply updates, so the next morning, its up and running. I went through a bunch of steps to disable that and it worked for a while, then an update in the last week and all of a sudden it wakes up at night again. I am thinking of writing a powershell app to turn all that wake-up for updates off again.

So, a common theme--customized settings not respected by windows update process, and windows being rude and waking from sleep to do its unwanted business at night. In fairness, I had the same problem with my mac pro, and the activity logs were equally useless in determining what was doing the wake up.
Old 17th October 2019
  #7205
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
One thing I find extremely irritating about windows 10 is that when you put your computer to sleep, windows feels free to wake it up and apply updates, so the next morning, its up and running. I went through a bunch of steps to disable that and it worked for a while, then an update in the last week and all of a sudden it wakes up at night again. I am thinking of writing a powershell app to turn all that wake-up for updates off again.
Well what are your settings? I've never had this happen unless I specified it personally.

(I'm assuming you're using "Pro"(?))
Old 17th October 2019
  #7206
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Well what are your settings? I've never had this happen unless I specified it personally.

(I'm assuming you're using "Pro"(?))
I will have to look into it. IIRC, the settings in autoruns didn't take very well, but later I found a policy setting that suppressed that.

Of course my windows is 'pro'... Can't have a 'pro' studio unless everything in it says 'pro'.
Old 17th October 2019
  #7207
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
I will have to look into it. IIRC, the settings in autoruns didn't take very well, but later I found a policy setting that suppressed that.

Of course my windows is 'pro'... Can't have a 'pro' studio unless everything in it says 'pro'.
lol..

Well, I have "pro" and the only updates I get are security or "quality" updates or whatever they're called, and I have them deferred for the maximum 30 days. Feature updates deferred for 365 days (i.e. I'm not on the latest version yet, though I might upgrade this weekend).

The only times I've had it go through an update is if I trigger it manually as I get the notification that an update is available (quality), or if I then defer it to "off hours" which is essentially when the computer is off or sleeping. So sometimes it'll offer "update and shutdown" for example.

My only problem I've had with the recent settings is "check for updates" I think actually ended up triggering the upgrade. That is (or was) a stupid way of labeling things since sometimes we might just want to see if something is available, not necessarily download/install it.
Old 17th October 2019
  #7208
I experienced some really annoying non-announced auto updates on a Surface up until a year ago. Other than that, it works as expected with both Home and Pro at home and with Enterprise within my day job. Nothing to fuss about really.

Re spyware: MS states clearly what it does with telemetry. I haven’t seen any serious reports showing that MS does other things than that.
Old 18th October 2019
  #7209
Gear Head
 
snoskit's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden View Post
... Linux. You have to do a lot of tweaking just to get it working.
that's part of the linux business model - you make your money through support contracts not software sales.
So you don't want to the OS to be easy to use, otherwise nobody will buy support
Old 18th October 2019
  #7210
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoskit View Post
that's part of the linux business model - you make your money through support contracts not software sales.
So you don't want to the OS to be easy to use, otherwise nobody will buy support
Well, at least concerning the distros, but they grew their business model on the need for support. Linux is all about scalability of features. The fact that there are desktop variants gives a different impression, but still Linux' strength is the ability to let it do only what you really need.

I find Linux very interesting, it just is lacking support of a few major developers. And this is most likely due to the different distros which makes is hard to define a platform which is developed for by most audio developers.
Old 18th October 2019
  #7211
Gear Head
 
snoskit's Avatar
 

Nothing to stop folks like Avid or Steinberg branching their own distros
If done well would lead to much greater platform stability and longer term support for hardware

They could even make it proprietary by forking from Red Hat - neatly avoiding GPL issues, which I can imagine are a bit of stumbling block too (even other have got round this issue)
Old 18th October 2019
  #7212
Lives for gear
 
juiseman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
One thing I find extremely irritating about windows 10 is that when you put your computer to sleep, windows feels free to wake it up and apply updates, so the next morning, its up and running. I went through a bunch of steps to disable that and it worked for a while, then an update in the last week and all of a sudden it wakes up at night again. I am thinking of writing a powershell app to turn all that wake-up for updates off again.

So, a common theme--customized settings not respected by windows update process, and windows being rude and waking from sleep to do its unwanted business at night. In fairness, I had the same problem with my mac pro, and the activity logs were equally useless in determining what was doing the wake up.
I have witnessed this also. It does however go back to sleep when finished.
Old 18th October 2019
  #7213
Lives for gear
 
throbert's Avatar
 

need an enet disconnect switch for sleep
Old 18th October 2019
  #7214
Lives for gear
 
juiseman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoskit View Post
Nothing to stop folks like Avid or Steinberg branching their own distros
If done well would lead to much greater platform stability and longer term support for hardware

They could even make it proprietary by forking from Red Hat - neatly avoiding GPL issues, which I can imagine are a bit of stumbling block too (even other have got round this issue)
Right on, I would love a "studio one OS" or "Nuendo OS"...
Doesn't seem very likely that will ever happen. But that would be cool.

All this talk about Linux, I may have to nerd it up this weekend.
Old 18th October 2019
  #7215
Gear Guru
 

Only thing is that I think more and more workstations host different DAWs and NLEs. In other words (for example) the studio I'm right now has Pro Tools, Nuendo and DaVinci Resolve on it. The other room has Ableton Live instead of Nuendo.

So it'd probably need to be the same distro working on all of those.
Old 18th October 2019
  #7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoskit View Post
Nothing to stop folks like Avid or Steinberg branching their own distros
If done well would lead to much greater platform stability and longer term support for hardware

They could even make it proprietary by forking from Red Hat - neatly avoiding GPL issues, which I can imagine are a bit of stumbling block too (even other have got round this issue)
Sounds like a nightmare. How on earth could they support all the gazillion combinations of hardware, drivers etc etc etc that people want to use??
Old 19th October 2019
  #7217
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
Got a mandatory update last week that hoarked my wdmaud.drv file, a system file. As a result, my DAW couldn't function. Had to download a new wdmaud.drv to replaced the hoarked file. Not a lot of fun. I'm not a fan of the Windows updates.
Old 19th October 2019
  #7218
I've almost entirely migrated to linux mint now. Id like to specify i just do music at home im not a buisness.

But in my experience these past few months, with my hardware and programs im not missing much and it's only slightly less stable then my asio setup used to be.

My favorite part about mint and the programs is that much like an app store, if something doesn't work right i have a few more options to try, and so far ive found really great programs i get to control. Setup of the system took as much as any other system did for me, as mint has several facilties to make installs easier. Sometimes i never even touch the terminal. This is also my first experience with linux ever.

Hell, AVlinux has ALL of the hard stuff already worked out on initial install. You basically don't have to setup anything.

Trying to create word documents that transfer to windows 100% is difficult, i'll probably never get reason to work in linux, and reaper has crashed a handful of times. That's all my complaints.

Saying it isn't going to work for ALL is just false. Basing a buisness off it is probably not a good idea at this time.
Old 19th October 2019
  #7219
Lives for gear
 
daskeladden's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
I've almost entirely migrated to linux mint now. Id like to specify i just do music at home im not a buisness.

Trying to create word documents that transfer to windows 100% is difficult, i'll probably never get reason to work in linux, and reaper has crashed a handful of times. That's all my complaints.

Saying it isn't going to work for ALL is just false. Basing a buisness off it is probably not a good idea at this time.
Stability is the most important element when making music on a pc. And knowing the plugins support on Linux is laughable makes it unusable for music makers for the time being. Strange that almost all Linux users never migrate 100% to that OS, always some excuse to stay on Windows or Mac.
Old 19th October 2019
  #7220
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden View Post
Stability is the most important element when making music on a pc. And knowing the plugins support on Linux is laughable makes it unusable for music makers for the time being. Strange that almost all Linux users never migrate 100% to that OS, always some excuse to stay on Windows or Mac.
Im running really old plugs, so take that into consideration but i have 75% of my plugs back. Any o.s. is going to have issues running all plugs. The carla rack client has been for me the best wrap ive used so far.

I haven't migrated 100% yet because i have 10+ YEARS of material on that old windows machine to sift through and transfer over. Im going to be dual booting for awhile. Soon as that's all squared the win10 partion will be gone.

Win 10 in the virtual machine by itself runs way better then it did for me elsewhere. The only reason id have a vm of 10 is if it runs reason, which i haven't tested yet.

In my recording experiments, i can happily create off reaper in mint. That's really all i want a pc for. Infinite tape and some editing. For me it's about as stable as asio ever was.

One other complaint, i couldn't get REW to find my ancient firewire interface even though jackd uses it all the time. But im new to REW as well
Old 19th October 2019
  #7221
Gear Guru
 

May I ask why you're switching over?
Old 19th October 2019
  #7222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
May I ask why you're switching over?
I ranted a bunch earlier in the thread, so i won't go there again. Windows new buisness model just isn't for me anymore as a broad stroke.
Old 19th October 2019
  #7223
Gear Guru
 

Thx, was just curious.
Old 21st October 2019
  #7224
Gear Head
 
snoskit's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg View Post
Sounds like a nightmare. How on earth could they support all the gazillion combinations of hardware, drivers etc etc etc that people want to use??
They wouldn't, not directly anyway

When you fork a linux distro, at its most basic level, you're controlling what upstream packages (from the parent distro) you accept into your new fork and what packages you set for preinstall

But in order to make a serious attempt at linux for daw you need to port ASIO and VST to linux; and port them suffienctly well and completely that 3rd party hardware and software developers need to change little to recompile existing code.

imho It would sensible to open source ASIO/VST and feed back into the kernel; basically to promote the industry at large to follow suit.

I'd sell such a move (eg moving to linux) to the bean counters via pointing to the future of cloud audio services; and how being linux based would to massive savings a scale.
Old 21st October 2019
  #7225
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoskit View Post
They wouldn't, not directly anyway

When you fork a linux distro, at its most basic level, you're controlling what upstream packages (from the parent distro) you accept into your new fork and what packages you set for preinstall

But in order to make a serious attempt at linux for daw you need to port ASIO and VST to linux; and port them suffienctly well and completely that 3rd party hardware and software developers need to change little to recompile existing code.

imho It would sensible to open source ASIO/VST and feed back into the kernel; basically to promote the industry at large to follow suit.

I'd sell such a move (eg moving to linux) to the bean counters via pointing to the future of cloud audio services; and how being linux based would to massive savings a scale.
Interesting reasoning! But as this is a Win 10-thread I can’t help but wondering if there’s something here that’s also in line with MS’s strategy. After all they are moving fast toward cloud and Linux as well...
Old 21st October 2019
  #7226
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Computers for DAWs should never have sleep enabled.
Old 22nd October 2019
  #7227
Gear Nut
 

I upgraded my sound workstation (i7 2600) from Win7 to Win8.1 a while ago.


I started again producing music about 3 weeks ago and I have no issues. Win8.1 is perfectly fine for everyone who fears the lifecycle end of Win7. Win8.1 has extended support until January 2023


Even though I am not very optimistic, I hope Win10 will be better at that time, especially regarding "upgrade policy". The newest actual release will end its lifecycle December 2020. It's a joke.
Old 23rd October 2019
  #7228
Lives for gear
 
norbury brook's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_well View Post
I upgraded my sound workstation (i7 2600) from Win7 to Win8.1 a while ago.


I started again producing music about 3 weeks ago and I have no issues. Win8.1 is perfectly fine for everyone who fears the lifecycle end of Win7. Win8.1 has extended support until January 2023


Even though I am not very optimistic, I hope Win10 will be better at that time, especially regarding "upgrade policy". The newest actual release will end its lifecycle December 2020. It's a joke.
If you're going to 8.1 you might as well go to 10 now :D all the early niggles with 10 have been ironed out now and it's a very stable OS for a DAW.



M
Old 23rd October 2019
  #7229
Lives for gear
 
throbert's Avatar
 

If you don't want the upgrade hassles from MS then get Enterprise LTSB or LTSC
Old 24th October 2019
  #7230
Gear Head
 
snoskit's Avatar
 

Save yourself some $ too compared to extended support ($350 for 3 yrs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg View Post
Interesting reasoning! But as this is a Win 10-thread I can’t help but wondering if there’s something here that’s also in line with MS’s strategy. After all they are moving fast toward cloud and Linux as well...
Not on the production side; but on the delivery side you've got Azure Media Services - Avid have built their MediaCentral platform on this.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump