The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Windows 10 is rolling out... share your experiences here Audio Interfaces
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis View Post
Back to my zipped folder question if I could please - what do other programs (like winrar, 7-zip, etc.) bring to the table that the native Windows Explorer "Extract All" or "Open" doesn't have?
Well, I'd check windows zip, but mine keeps crashing, although I suspect the workplace restrictions are at play as we're 100% 7zip internally at this point.

So from memory (E&OE)... Windows own zip client is rather basic and doesn't offer the bells and whistles like large archive management, splitting and passwording that anyone shifting larger files or straight up archiving tends to require to some degree.

Windows zip also fails to open some of those other options sometimes and tends to be less efficient too, although those two facts are probably related to some degree.

To be fair to it, I've used Winrar since before Windows could handle zip files natively and windows still doesn't offer RAR support. So, I've never uninstalled winrar and it's set as my default.

Now, i'm finding files that Winrar can't open but 7zip does and I can only assume 7-zip has been used in the file creation in those instances.

7-Zip vs WinZip vs WinRAR vs Windows Compression

That probably explains it better than I'm doing so.
Old 4 weeks ago
7zip offers a few advantages above the built in compressor:
-multiple archives at once
-context menu offers one click unzipping at place
-context menu offers 2 other functions which are slightly faster
-it unpacks rar archives as well
Old 4 weeks ago
Motown legend

The big one is that 7-zip extracts files that used Apple's built-in utility that can create unintended file permissions issues in windows.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies guys, and for the link Pete.

Maybe more relevant to W10:

I've noticed (perhaps because of sh**ty internet connections) that the download of these zipped folders (up to a few GB) sometimes gets interrupted, at least that's how I interpret that a download stops with a folder on my hard drive that is not as large as the source folder I want to download.

I remember in the old days there were things called download managers that would, among other things, keep track of where the download ended and then pick up where it left off when you reconnect.

But I thought the OS s had evolved to where they did that natively, and download managers were no longer needed for that problem.

Is all that just a fantasy/gross misconception? Because when I go and reconnect to Box.com after an incomplete download, it seems to start all over, rather than half way through or two thirds of the way through, wherever it was in the downloading process when the internet connection flaked out.

Any suggestions please?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys, and for the link Pete.

Maybe more relevant to W10:

I've noticed (perhaps because of sh**ty internet connections) that the download of these zipped folders (up to a few GB) sometimes gets interrupted, at least that's how I interpret that a download stops with a folder on my hard drive that is not as large as the source folder I want to download.

I remember in the old days there were things called download managers that would, among other things, keep track of where the download ended and then pick up where it left off when you reconnect.

But I thought the OS s had evolved to where they did that natively, and download managers were no longer needed for that problem.

Is all that just a fantasy/gross misconception? Because when I go and reconnect to Box.com after an incomplete download, it seems to start all over, rather than half way through or two thirds of the way through, wherever it was in the downloading process when the internet connection flaked out.

Any suggestions please?
It's not the OS, it's the browser and the server. The server needs to support range requests.

Picking up partway through a download requires that the server supports it. Sounds like maybe Box does a pretty basic download, without support for resuming.

I just checked, and Box has the right headers (at least on their main page), so not sure why it's not resuming partial downloads.

Quote:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 04:40:55 GMT
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Content-Length: 587546
Connection: keep-alive
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Cache-Control: max-age=86400, public
Content-language: en
It may be due to how they expire their links or something. On the box site, I saw some support requests where folks couldn't download big downloads before the link expired.

Pete
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Any suggestions please?
ok, first you should clean up the system folders via "Disk Cleanup". Then I would use a different web browser.

Its not standard binary web storage. That site is a Dupral with a storage site template. Some web browsers will behave differently because of the way the php session cookie is handled.

Also, your dealing with CMS based site which is easier for hackers to infiltrate. Because the code for the website is available for anyone to download, so they have time to find a hole in this. Regardless of "privacy compliance". Which no one can really make that happen with a deep web site. Even this site.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

another suggestion is that get binary storage for your website, and protect that web folder with http auth. Then you will have secure web storage.

My recommendation as a web hosting provider + internet registrar.

I'm not going to advertise on this thread, but if you need a real web solution for your company, you can P.M. me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Windows 10 Taskbar Pop-Up Icon Problem

When I click on a running program in the taskbar, it pops up a live icon which I can click on to switch to the program or other times, like with MusicBee, hit the FF, Pause, Stop, etc button right from the mini pop up icon. In the past this worked fine.

Lately I find that the first time I try this, it doesn't work. The pop-up will go away, but I won't switch to that program, or the control button I selected from the pop-up doesn't do anything. Second time I try the same function it works.

This was working perfectly but sometime in the past month or so it started this.

This is hard to describe

Any ideas?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
When I click on a running program in the taskbar, it pops up a live icon which I can click on to switch to the program or other times, like with MusicBee, hit the FF, Pause, Stop, etc button right from the mini pop up icon. In the past this worked fine.

Lately I find that the first time I try this, it doesn't work. The pop-up will go away, but I won't switch to that program, or the control button I selected from the pop-up doesn't do anything. Second time I try the same function it works.

This was working perfectly but sometime in the past month or so it started this.

This is hard to describe

Any ideas?
I use that pop up a lot with spotify both on my office system and on my laptop, I didn't have this problem so far, FWIW. Currently on 1803 and 1809 on these systems, worked fine with previous versions as well, FWIW.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks, psychlist and audiospecific.

I'll talk to them about possibly using another storage site, instead of Box.com.

Much appreciated!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
I use that pop up a lot with spotify both on my office system and on my laptop, I didn't have this problem so far, FWIW. Currently on 1803 and 1809 on these systems, worked fine with previous versions as well, FWIW.
Thanks DAW PLUS.
I'm on 1809 as well. I did try a different mouse and driver and that didn't help.
I notice if I hesitate a second or two and wait till the little box appears above the box, then it will usually, but not always work. So it appears to be a timing problem of sorts.
Kind of weird
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Thanks DAW PLUS.
I'm on 1809 as well. I did try a different mouse and driver and that didn't help.
I notice if I hesitate a second or two and wait till the little box appears above the box, then it will usually, but not always work. So it appears to be a timing problem of sorts.
Kind of weird
Out of curiosity, if you disable animations, does it work?

Settings -> Ease of Access -> Display

Under "Simplify and personalize Windows", untick "Show animations in Windows."

Pete
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Out of curiosity, if you disable animations, does it work?

Settings -> Ease of Access -> Display

Under "Simplify and personalize Windows", untick "Show animations in Windows."

Pete
Hey Pete.
It was already turned off so what I did was turn it *On* and now everything works as normal!
Thanks for the help!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Hey Pete.
It was already turned off so what I did was turn it *On* and now everything works as normal!
Thanks for the help!
That was unexpected. I thought it would be the opposite that would make it work.

Glad it's working.

Pete
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Annoying Explorer Glitch

Hello - I've finally joined the modern world and dumped my 'frozen-in-time' Win7 for 10. Overall so far its thumbs up.

From the get go though I've been seeing this particular glitch in the navigation pane within 'File Explorer' or 'This PC'. The animations of 'fade in & out on mouseover' etc aren't displaying properly.

I can't seem to rectify it... Any ideas?

Specs -

Intel 4770k
Asus Z-87 Expert
Intel 4600 on-board graphics*

*It seems win10 auto installed the accompanying software for the 4600 graphics where it wasn't on win 7. Wondering if it has anything to do with it.

Windows says I'm all up to date, whatever build that is.

*Note - the marks only appear during animations of fade in & out. When it's in full or out fully they aren't present.

Thankyou!
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 10 is rolling out... share your experiences here-explorer-glitch.jpg   Windows 10 is rolling out... share your experiences here-explorer-glitch.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Windows DS SRC

Can Microsoft improve the Windows DS resampler? Maybe it's a minor point, but it doesn't look that great compared to most of the others here, including Apple Core Audio:
SRC Comparisons

Last edited by walter88; 2 weeks ago at 11:11 AM.. Reason: mac to apple for clarity
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hello -

I get the following error message every time I allow Dell to make updates when I boot up from being totally powered off (the changes that require putting the administrator password into the dialog window):

Windows Service Start Failure

Cannot start service from the command line or a debugger. A Windows Service must first be installed (using installutil.exe) and then started with the ServerExplorer, Windows Service Administrative tool or the NET START command.

There have been frustrating interactions with the computer, mainly with TunnelBear VPN (quite frequently can't connect, sometimes not fixed even with toggling TunnelBear and the internet connection off/on, almost always fixed instantly with a computer reboot, but still), and very slow internet (which I blamed on the router, etc.).

I wonder if the error message is something I can (continue to) ignore, vs. I wonder what will be improved if I pay attention to it (I don't know how to use istallutil.exe, or to "Start" with any of the three options listed).

And does anyone know how important it may be to say "Yes" to the Dell Updates? Clicking "More Info" to find out more about the updates really gives no useful information that I can identify as such.

Any thoughts please?

Thank you!

(W10 Home)
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Hello -

I get the following error message every time I allow Dell to make updates when I boot up from being totally powered off (the changes that require putting the administrator password into the dialog window):

Windows Service Start Failure

Cannot start service from the command line or a debugger. A Windows Service must first be installed (using installutil.exe) and then started with the ServerExplorer, Windows Service Administrative tool or the NET START command.

There have been frustrating interactions with the computer, mainly with TunnelBear VPN (quite frequently can't connect, sometimes not fixed even with toggling TunnelBear and the internet connection off/on, almost always fixed instantly with a computer reboot, but still), and very slow internet (which I blamed on the router, etc.).

I wonder if the error message is something I can (continue to) ignore, vs. I wonder what will be improved if I pay attention to it (I don't know how to use istallutil.exe, or to "Start" with any of the three options listed).

And does anyone know how important it may be to say "Yes" to the Dell Updates? Clicking "More Info" to find out more about the updates really gives no useful information that I can identify as such.

Any thoughts please?

Thank you!

(W10 Home)
If you run the event viewer (windows R > eventvwr) do you see the service name in any windows log entries? Any other errors of note?

No idea on TunnelBear or what may be slowing down your connectivity. I assume you haven't disabled the Windows antivirus and firewall.

If you have Killer brand ethernet on that PC, I've personally found that its utilities are best uninstalled.

Pete
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
If you run the event viewer (windows R > eventvwr) do you see the service name in any windows log entries? Any other errors of note?

No idea on TunnelBear or what may be slowing down your connectivity. I assume you haven't disabled the Windows antivirus and firewall.

If you have Killer brand ethernet on that PC, I've personally found that its utilities are best uninstalled.

Pete
Hello Pete -

Thank you for your reply!

1) No Killer brand ethernet here that I'm aware of (I'm the only user, so almost certainly correct)

2) I ran Event Viewer. Not quite sure what it is showing me but there is an "Application Error" today, and a few times in the past. The info screen at the bottom for the Error doesn't reveal the source of the error in plain English, so I don't know what the "Application" is that triggered the error.

3) Under "Application and Service Logs" >> Dell, there were Information entries only (i.e., no Error entries), Windows Services Stopped.

I don't guess this info can tell what is the cause of my problems :(

I've saved some screen shots from Event Viewer, are there any other questions you or anyone may have that I could look up to help troubleshoot?

Thank you!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Alright, Im ready to fix my current issue and turn updates off. Ive left them on and other than a few niggly “odd behavior” here and there, it hasnt been a functional issue, but I updated Im going to say last week, and my DAW performance has gone way south. Ive updated the BIOS on the Gigabyte board, and gotten all the 1809 compatible chipset drivers and such....had to unistall the UHD630 and revert back to whatever was there before, but now my Cubase requires a 512 buffer to run simple (not huge track counts or dsp) 96khz audio projects (meaning no demanding VIs) or anything....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This is just a long shot, but after a windows update, I noticed that my computer sound settings reverted to their default of 48khz.

Well, first I noticed that simple playing back of songs was clicking and popping on musicbee and even increasing the buffer quite a bit did not cure this. Same issue in cubase. I felt like I was back in the 90s, the last time I had click pop trouble. Well, I noted that 48khz setting and changed it back to 44.1 and my problems went away. My theory is that windows was invoking some sort of behind the scenes sample rate conversion when its default setting was 48k. Anyway, costs nothing to check out.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Any news on the release date of the windows update that fixes the FLS limit issue?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter88 View Post
Can Microsoft improve
Dreamer.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

YAY :(

Warning: Windows Update Breaks Connectivity of Certain NI Hardware Devices
Symptom
After installing a Windows Update, the following devices are no longer recognized:

TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 MK2
MASCHINE STUDIO
KOMPLETE KONTROL S-Series MK1 (all models)
Cause
The Windows Updates from February 2019 block certain NI hardware devices from being recognized.

Solution
We are currently investigating the issue. In the meantime, uninstalling the Windows Updates will restore functionality of the affected devices.

Warning: Windows Update Breaks Connectivity of Certain NI Hardware Devices – Native Instruments
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
YAY :(

Warning: Windows Update Breaks Connectivity of Certain NI Hardware Devices
Symptom
After installing a Windows Update, the following devices are no longer recognized:

TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 MK2
MASCHINE STUDIO
KOMPLETE KONTROL S-Series MK1 (all models)
Cause
The Windows Updates from February 2019 block certain NI hardware devices from being recognized.

Solution
We are currently investigating the issue. In the meantime, uninstalling the Windows Updates will restore functionality of the affected devices.

Warning: Windows Update Breaks Connectivity of Certain NI Hardware Devices – Native Instruments
FYI. We are already looking into this with them.

Pete
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I have full faith it will get sorted, but it goes back to my earlier point about having a working system only to be forced into an upgrade that borks your setup.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Dreamer.
Maybe you're right. But why? Resamplers are improved all the time, sometimes multiple times, primarily because of the infinitewave graphs. Apple improved theirs between Tiger and Leopard, looking at the graphs, and that was more than 10 years ago. It's possibly been further improved since.

SRC Comparisons

Maybe nothing showing in the Windows 10 DS Resampler graphs is easily audible and it's mostly about appearances. I don't know. But others have improved their src based on similar graph results. And most of the current src's at infinitewave look better than the DS src.

If Microsoft uses what it does because of processing speed, are there not other options? I've found sometimes significant difference in speed of src's that look exactly same quality, like sox vhq linear phase processing very quickly for it's quality compared to some others showing equal quality with same parameters.

There has been discussion about the quality of the Direct Sound src in various places on the internet, and I've wondered what it was about. Now seeing the graphs, I'd ask why it wouldn't be improved, if Apple has done it for a same purpose(?) resampler.

Windows 10 resampler measurably "less than ideal". : headphones

Last edited by walter88; 1 week ago at 08:02 PM.. Reason: added "parameters" to description for clarity
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quick question, maybe you guys have also experienced this. For me Windows Update has been hit-and-miss, it constantly fails to download or install updates. I get a long list of pending updates, and then it proceeds to download and install them but not in chronological order. Is this normal? Does Windows Update know how one update may depend on an earlier update that has not yet been installed? I'm just wondering if the reason installation fails is because the dependency chain is incomplete. What seems to happen is it will eventually download everything and install whatever it can, and keep trying, until eventually everything is installed. Seems a very ineffective and inefficient way to do it though.

In below screenshot you can see WU tried to install an update from 2019 while several updates from 2018 had not been yet installed:

Maybe it's to do with the fact that I live in the world's most ridiculous country where the Internet is effectively non-existent and VPN connections are deliberately throttled—China.

ATM it's consistently failing to install the following update: 2019-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4489868). It says "Intalling - 25%" but it always fails. This has been going on for a long time. Now I have a massive list of pending updates that never get installed and an out-of-date system. It's enraging. Coupled with all the major issues my Surface Pro 4 is experiencing, it makes me want to throw my computer out of the window. It's so bad I curse at my computer some times.

Quote:
As mentioned earlier, many times, an update may fail to install in the first instance, but for some inexplicable reason, succeeds in the 2nd or 3rd try. So try a couple of times.(source)
I also find some of the status messages are hopelessly meaningless and fail to deliver the information users are really interested in: how big the darn update is, and how much of the overall process has been completed.
  • Preparing to download
  • Preparing to install
  • Initialising

IMO updates should be pending, downloading, or installing. They should also be sorted in the order that they are going to be installed, for a bit of sanity. Preparing... initialising... this comes to mind:

I know I'm supposed to report this kind of thing on the Feedback Hub but it gets tiring. I wonder how many hours have been wasted by people around the world reporting stupid things that are obvious to everyone except MS, a multi-billion dollar company. Microsoft employees use Windows, surely they notice these things. Putting the burden on users seems slightly unfair and, anyway, most problem reports on the Feedback Hub are duplicated a thousand times because apparently most people don't know what "upvote" means, but if you search for "windows updates fail" you'll find dozens of reports.

Last edited by Scoox; 6 days ago at 09:05 AM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I believe windows update does know about pre-requisites, but maybe not as well as it should. When I have a lot of updates to install, I will have it do the first round, and then I re-boot the computer and give it another shot. Some updates require a reboot to take effect, and when they are pre-reqs for other updates, a re-boot is the only way to keep things moving forward. I would not try and investigate failed updates until a few install/reboot cycles.

I just got some pushed updates last night and it was rude as it locked up my computer when I was away--the screen had a dialog box with three options regarding the updates, but they buttons were non responsive and the machine was locked up, functionally. I hit the re-set button and the updates applied and all was well. My objection is that I did not have a choice as to when to apply the updates, so I had to spend 20 minutes dealing with that before I could use the computer.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Quick question, maybe you guys have also experienced this. For me Windows Update has been hit-and-miss, it constantly fails to download or install updates.
Your Windows installation is bugged, I would do a new system installation from scratch...
Better...
Get Download – NTLite and create an updated Windows installation ISO.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search