The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Windows 10 is rolling out... share your experiences here Audio Interfaces
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6721
Lives for gear
 
loopy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
Pete has said this before, and I believe it, that bloatware might take up disk but it does not slow down program execution. I spent quite some time in the windows 95 days with the lite software and turning off services, and that sort of thing creates potential bugs--broke the thing myself many times doing that stuff. I do like the idea of a program to skinny down the execution footprint of wind 10, but would only do so if I was sure it would cause problems now or in the future.

I do note that despite turning off cortana in the registry, there is still a cortana process that takes 200 meg of ram no matter what.
I disagree.
While things have gotten MUCH better in the last 3 years, the typical off the shelf Dell/HP/whatever system comes with piles of bloatware / trialware that can be easily removed and definitely impacts performance.

I'm not talking about registry tweaks etc, I'm talking about basic removing trial versions of Antivirus software and such...

Just did this on my daughter's laptop and after I was done, again, simple program removes and checking startup programs, the box was like I upgraded the processor.
Major difference.

Again, not as bad as in the past, but still relevant.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6722
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
I disagree.
While things have gotten MUCH better in the last 3 years, the typical off the shelf Dell/HP/whatever system comes with piles of bloatware / trialware that can be easily removed and definitely impacts performance...
I guess if I bought an off the shelf computer I would have thought of that --I roll my own. I was referring to stuff that comes with windows itself.

Sure, uninstalling non windows software is a no-brainer. As is deleting all the rest of that crap and the browser links on the desktop. I sometimes get pulled in when folks have a slow computer and I note that they accepted every invite to install software ever sent and the computer is barely able to crawl from all the stuff running on startup. "Are you using this?" "No, what is it?" Uninstall and repeat.

Hope they don't have that crappy symantec anti virus installed--easier to get rid of herpes than dig that resource pig/spyware out of every nook and cranny of windows. But to me, not going to lose any sleep because candy crush is somewhere on my 1tb ssd.

Also, I have learned that its best to install mobo drivers from the windows driver installer. Those apps that come with the mobos are often bloated things that install all sorts of unneeded services and have plenty of phone home analytics being sent out. They sound good, but when I look at start up items and services running, I can see it was a mistake to install the mobo apps.

I am going to make a larger comment here--its getting so that when we purchase products, we have less and less autonomy over the advertising built into them. I have all sorts of crap on the large screen tv I bought, and lots of built in 'apps' that I can't remove from the screen. So, in addition to getting my money for the tv, samsung gets money from all the built in advertising.

My car came with a build in crap gps. It will only respond to controls when the car is at a complete stop. So somebody else is controlling and limiting how I use it. Maybe I can buy a real gps and glue it to the screen of the built in one. It also has least intutiive user interface that a team of craven engineers could devise... But, perhaps I digress...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6723
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
I guess if I bought an off the shelf computer I would have thought of that --I roll my own. I was referring to stuff that comes with windows itself.

Sure, uninstalling non windows software is a no-brainer. As is deleting all the rest of that crap and the browser links on the desktop. I sometimes get pulled in when folks have a slow computer and I note that they accepted every invite to install software ever sent and the computer is barely able to crawl from all the stuff running on startup. "Are you using this?" "No, what is it?" Uninstall and repeat.

Hope they don't have that crappy symantec anti virus installed--easier to get rid of herpes than dig that resource pig/spyware out of every nook and cranny of windows. But to me, not going to lose any sleep because candy crush is somewhere on my 1tb ssd.

Also, I have learned that its best to install mobo drivers from the windows driver installer. Those apps that come with the mobos are often bloated things that install all sorts of unneeded services and have plenty of phone home analytics being sent out. They sound good, but when I look at start up items and services running, I can see it was a mistake to install the mobo apps.
FWIW, if you buy a PC from the Microsoft store (online or in-person), none of that crap is on it. Of course, you have to pick from stock configurations, but sometimes, this is the easiest approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
I am going to make a larger comment here--its getting so that when we purchase products, we have less and less autonomy over the advertising built into them. I have all sorts of crap on the large screen tv I bought, and lots of built in 'apps' that I can't remove from the screen. So, in addition to getting my money for the tv, samsung gets money from all the built in advertising.

My car came with a build in crap gps. It will only respond to controls when the car is at a complete stop. So somebody else is controlling and limiting how I use it. Maybe I can buy a real gps and glue it to the screen of the built in one. It also has least intutiive user interface that a team of craven engineers could devise... But, perhaps I digress...
I got tired of mine (Honda). Passenger can't even program the destination if you're moving. So I just use the GPS on apple car play, which looks like something from 2008, but doesn't complain at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
I have non windows bloatware that bugs me, as long as on the subject. Acronis scheduler service even though I don't use the scheduler--can't find out how to turn that off...
I assume it's not showing up in Programs and Features for you to be able to uninstall?

Pete
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6724
Lives for gear
 
loopy's Avatar
 

Oh yea, absolutely. I roll my own as well.. Have been doing so since 1981 when my first IBMPC was built on a piece of plywood because aftermarket cases were not available yet

My kids however by off the shelf.
Huge difference.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6725
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShogunOfHarlem View Post
In an attempt to maybe pull this thread back out of the muck, I'd like to share a story:

Bit the bullet and upgraded to 1809 a few days ago, as I have a rare window of a week or so without any mission critical things going on. This means of course, that my overclock was broken by the microcode baked into 1809. My first order of business was to attempt to hit up Asus tech support via the website, and see if a newer bios for X99-A II boards was in the works to correct the issue. I couldn't even finish filling out the stupid support form, as the site didn't seem to want to recognize my mobo serial number, which meant I couldn't even get through to ask a general tech question.

Feeling more than a little aggravated, I took to twitter and found that Asus have a separate account just for tech support, so I hit them up there and asked if I could inquire about the bios/broadwell overclock issue.

They Dm'd me straight away and asked for details. We went back and forth a couple of times, and then they asked me to hold tight, as they we escalating the case up the chain (my choice of words). A day later, they emailed me a new (or at least a different) bios with the proper microcode, and now all is well here - rocking a 4.2ghz overclock on a 6850k, under 1809. No hacks or tweaks to the OS at all.

Not sure why this other bios (it was labelled 9003) isn't publicly available on the x99-A II page at the Asus website, but perhaps they keep it in a drawer for the relatively small percentage of us in this particular boat.

Long story short - for any Asus mobo/broadwell chip users still following this thread, there is an official fix now, in case you didn't know. Just tweet Asus tech support.

Props to them - they were quick to fix this for me.

Aside from that, 1809 has been fine here, so far. Did a couple of sessions in Pro Tools this week, as well as some editing work in Davinci Resolve, and all is well.
Nice to hear this. Many mobo vendors offer a beta BIOS to individuals or OEMs which is never released, but they may use your feedback to implement it in a later release. Your BIOS is most likely based on the latest release but with a specific untested change to fix your issue.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6726
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
I was just using an app called NTLite to slipstream some USB 3.0 and NVME drivers into a Windows 7 ISO. Then I loaded a Windows 10 ISO (1709). Wow, there are a lot of options in the 'Remove' tab. The paid version (of NTLite) can remove all sorts of things from your Windows 10 installation... not just apps like One Drive and Skype, but remote and privacy components such as Windows Biometric Service, and my favorite, Delivery Optimization.

Windows 10 isn't so bad if you turn "stuff" off manually, and/or use tools like OOSU10 and Windows 10 Debloater to tame it. I prefer that to Windows 7, which feels like going back in time a decade. The power to remove components from a Windows 10 installation is on another level though. I just wonder which ones you can remove and it still works. I don't care about updates if I'm running 1709 unpatched and offline anyway.
As stated above, indeed the services and background applications have no measurable impact on realtime audio performance when not used. I worry rather about breaking things by disabling than by such services which do not bother me.
Not there is not a lot of room for tweaks, but disabling services and applications is not part of it IMO.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6727
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
I disagree.
While things have gotten MUCH better in the last 3 years, the typical off the shelf Dell/HP/whatever system comes with piles of bloatware / trialware that can be easily removed and definitely impacts performance.

I'm not talking about registry tweaks etc, I'm talking about basic removing trial versions of Antivirus software and such...

Just did this on my daughter's laptop and after I was done, again, simple program removes and checking startup programs, the box was like I upgraded the processor.
Major difference.

Again, not as bad as in the past, but still relevant.
It depends on the bloatware. My sons laptop for university was bricked after trying to uninstall the 40+ applications which had no use for anyone. It would not boot anymore. I had to reinstall Windows 7 (using the OEM sticker key on the laptop) and then it worked.

Recently I tested a laptop, wouldn't get DPC values to go below 1ms no matter what I tried. Installed a fresh W10 and the dedicated drivers. Presto... it did have a support tool which seemed professional and unobtrusive, but uninstalling it did not solve the issue.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6728
Lives for gear
 
Scoox's Avatar
Not really audio-related, but WTF were Microsoft thinking when they decided to replace Explorer Favorites with this Quick Access garbage? Favorites were extremely easy to manage, rename, relocate, and backup using the same familiar set of actions regular files require in Explorer. Quick Access items can't even be renamed, and require a completely different set of actions to operate. This not only doesn't add any functional value over Favorites but also takes away useful functionality. Maybe they'll bring it back in the future and sell it as an "innovative" feature.

Old 4 weeks ago
  #6729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Not really audio-related, but WTF were Microsoft thinking when they decided to replace Explorer Favorites with this Quick Access garbage? Favorites were extremely easy to manage, rename, relocate, and backup using the same familiar set of actions regular files require in Explorer. Quick Access items can't even be renamed, and require a completely different set of actions to operate. This not only doesn't add any functional value over Favorites but also takes away useful functionality. Maybe they'll bring it back in the future and sell it as an "innovative" feature.
I like quick access. I have at least 20 things in quick access. Super useful when I need to find an ico from RH or a preset folder to save to from the vst with or in a program with modern explorer built in its ui preset save or load. The quick access is very useful.

Favorites ...was hard to get used to but it did prepare me for quick access when I finally learnt favorites.

Yall using different means to stop the WU then I have been. Doesn't anyone have task scheduler working? My woman's has been busted for a year or so since she had a Windows update for 1709. I had 1709 installed since purchasing my ASUS and I used task scheduler before I ever connected to internet to make sure never would Windows search for or notice it wasn't searching for updates. Only way to fly (but when I finally got 1809 Windows reached right in and broke tha thing, like nasty Kathy Bates).

Now that it is proven that the static happens before or after the WU only thing to do is save new month of stuff and go back to my 1709 clone. The task scheduler or the touchpad reset with device start. (which is still sluggish at times with the new update sometimes not loaded until desktop fully up).

today had a pretty successful livestream only two static buffer issues at around 1:31:15 the 8x4 interface fell, not much later the 8R interface also took the hit. After powercycle each went the distance for the rest of the 4 and a half hour livestream without another. Still don't know what is causing the issue. It has NEVER happened on my Lenovo which has rocked the 8R and a FTU. It is strictly a problem inside the ASUS. The Lenovo is a very luxurious computer though, with a synaptic and not a sh1tty ASUS Elan touchpad which doesn't even 2 finger scroll in Stardock Fences.

Bitchin 4.5 hour livestream today, very nice electric guitar during the 4th hour, used Zappa for the 3rd hour and footage of my aquariums. Weirdest f4Ckin thing during the 7th minute of the 3rd hour a glitch possessed my OBS with a superimposed graphical double (in b&w) only on the top half of the screen which actually plays ON a layer ABOVE drop down notifications when watching in vlc v 2.06 and receiving adblock notifications from Blokada in android. Very strange the video plays above the notifications with partial opacity and a color filter (screenshot: Screenshot_20190118-193058.png - Google Drive)

Live Stream:
"Fish In The Morning"
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6730
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
As stated above, indeed the services and background applications have no measurable impact on realtime audio performance when not used. I worry rather about breaking things by disabling than by such services which do not bother me.
Not there is not a lot of room for tweaks, but disabling services and applications is not part of it IMO.
Apparently Win10 is easier to break with NTLite tweaks than Win7. I bought the app, since I found presets created by an expert 'Liter' who happens to be a DAW (Reaper) user. She has both 'Lite' and 'Barebones' presets for W7 and Win10 1607, and only Lite ones for other Win10 builds. The 'Lite' presets remove mostly language packs, hard links, and ISO's. They won't break anything and are a starting point to do further tweaks if you want to.

Serious 'Liting' takes a lot of testing and research. So I created a 1709 ISO with these basic but well tested tweaks, that should be good enough for now. I may uncheck some apps that Windows 10 Debloater would remove after install, but I'll leave the System apps alone.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6731
Lives for gear
 
Pictus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
Apparently Win10 is easier to break with NTLite tweaks than Win7.(...)
Yes, it is...
Here I remove a lot, the side effect is that can not do cumulative updates, but the other types usually can do.

One BIG reason to remove/disable stuff is...
Every service/app running in the background is a potential door to be exploited!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6732
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
...
I assume it's not showing up in Programs and Features for you to be able to uninstall?

Pete
I like acronis because it can do a hot backup of the C drive. I have not figured out how to unistall the scheduler even though I am not using it. I presume the program can be uninstalled in its entirety.

I guess I can stop the service and disable startup of it, but it bugs me that I need to get into that degree of dinking around due to their product packaging.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6733
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
Yes, it is...
Here I remove a lot, the side effect is that can not do cumulative updates, but the other types usually can do.

One BIG reason to remove/disable stuff is...
Every service/app running in the background is a potential door to be exploited!
Yes Win10 is more difficult because there is so much telemetry stuff in there.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6734
Lives for gear
 
Scoox's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braindedzluney View Post
I like quick access. I have at least 20 things in quick access. Super useful when I need to find an ico from RH or a preset folder to save to from the vst with or in a program with modern explorer built in its ui preset save or load. The quick access is very useful.

Favorites ...was hard to get used to but it did prepare me for quick access when I finally learnt favorites.
Having shortcuts to one side of the Explorer window IS useful, but I can't see how Favourites is 'harder' to get used to than Quick Access when the latter is in fact a cut-down version of the former. Try setting a custom icon for a Quick Access item—you can't. Try storing your Quick Access list on a partition other than C:—you can't. Try backing up your Quick Access items and restoring them on the fly, without even restarting Explorer—you can't.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
Yes, it is...
Here I remove a lot, the side effect is that can not do cumulative updates, but the other types usually can do.

One BIG reason to remove/disable stuff is...
Every service/app running in the background is a potential door to be exploited!
While technically true, this generally applies only to network-exposed services, like SQL Server, mySql, etc. Not so much with ones that are constrained inside the system, and require something malicious to be already on the system in order to be accessed.

Pete
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Having shortcuts to one side of the Explorer window IS useful, but I can't see how Favourites is 'harder' to get used to than Quick Access when the latter is in fact a cut-down version of the former. Try setting a custom icon for a Quick Access item—you can't. Try storing your Quick Access list on a partition other than C:—you can't. Try backing up your Quick Access items and restoring them on the fly, without even restarting Explorer—you can't.
the favorites always bugged me in windows 7 because I had to use the favoriting action (was it part of context drop down?). I like quick access because I can quickly drag a folder if I am using it very much. My VST Plugins, my Live Professor 2 folder I made in appdata, hell even user and appdata can sometimes be dragged there*. Interestingly enough, my Live Professor 2 sessions chains folder has a custom icon I installed, and does show in the quick access. Live Professor 2 does NOT find its save to location well. Live Professor 2 couldn't find its save to location to save its life. Unlike Savihost which finds its fx folder rock solidly.

However things that bother me include when the items during the init view on opening explorer sometimes fluctuate. I can't tell you why. Fortunately this seems to self repair by the next time...something that happens more in Win 10 than in 7 is the automatic repair.
* i found that for some reason I could not get appdata to stick to quick access in one of my two notebooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
While technically true, this generally applies only to network-exposed services, like SQL Server, mySql, etc. Not so much with ones that are constrained inside the system, and require something malicious to be already on the system in order to be accessed.

Pete
I have some theories which include blocking house hold devices with hosts entries. I have already disabled wifi on notebooks and am thinking about getting a personal router. Probably not though. I haven't used anti malware or security programs in almost 10 years and I don't think I need to.

Most malware is super clunky and has major dorsal fins.

I am prettty sure my biggest security risks are coming from bluetooth device connections now. I have one phone that reboots when network changes from other devices take place. My new feature request from Windows would be complete high altitude control of all hosting of or any data transfer or bluetooth connections on my home network in a easy to access and use utility.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6737
Lives for gear
 
Scoox's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braindedzluney View Post
the favorites always bugged me in windows 7 because I had to use the favoriting action (was it part of context drop down?). I like quick access because I can quickly drag a folder if I am using it very much.
You could drag folders to Favorites, I'm surprised you didn't notice.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6738
Lives for gear
 
Scoox's Avatar
Here's a new one: suddenly cannot turn on mobile hotspot, which worked fine before. I have not change settings for a long time, but things keep breaking.

Windows 10 is rolling out... share your experiences here-mobile-hotspot.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 10 is rolling out... share your experiences here-mobile-hotspot.gif  
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6739
Lives for gear
 
Analogue Mastering's Avatar
You might need to select a connection to share first?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Here's a new one: suddenly cannot turn on mobile hotspot, which worked fine before. I have not change settings for a long time, but things keep breaking.
This video, and the comments below it, may help you out.

YouTube

Edit: Another possible solution: Mobile Hotspot feature not working after Fall Creators - Microsoft Community

Pete
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6741
Lives for gear
 
Scoox's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
This video, and the comments below it, may help you out.

YouTube

Edit: Another possible solution: Mobile Hotspot feature not working after Fall Creators - Microsoft Community

Pete
Thanks Pete. I've just tried those but didn't succeed. Will try again tomorrow. Just curious, is this a known issue?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Thanks Pete. I've just tried those but didn't succeed. Will try again tomorrow. Just curious, is this a known issue?
It was a reported issue for the Fall creator's update (1709). AFAIK, it wasn't happening after that release. What release are you on?

Pete

Last edited by Psychlist1972; 4 weeks ago at 11:43 PM.. Reason: known -> reported. Subtle but important.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6743
Lives for gear
 

I must have a OneDrive password somewhere - I need to access OneDrive from other comp

Hi - I have W10 Home on a Dell Laptop. I've been using OneDrive frequently, and all is going well.

I realized however I have no idea how to access that same OneDrive account from another computer … what url to go to (?), etc.

And when I do someday wind up at the proper site, I won't know what password I used to set up the OneDrive account on this computer. (Though I assume that won't be a problem, that there will be the usual, "send us your email and you can reset your password" dialog …?).

So really, if anyone can tell me how I can begin to access my OneDrive account from another computer, I think I'll be fine …

Thanks for any hints!

PS - I probably have read most of the 225 pages of this thread, but I don't remember this question being answered, sorry if I missed it
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6744
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis View Post
Hi - I have W10 Home on a Dell Laptop. I've been using OneDrive frequently, and all is going well.

I realized however I have no idea how to access that same OneDrive account from another computer … what url to go to (?), etc.

And when I do someday wind up at the proper site, I won't know what password I used to set up the OneDrive account on this computer. (Though I assume that won't be a problem, that there will be the usual, "send us your email and you can reset your password" dialog …?).

So really, if anyone can tell me how I can begin to access my OneDrive account from another computer, I think I'll be fine …

Thanks for any hints!

PS - I probably have read most of the 225 pages of this thread, but I don't remember this question being answered, sorry if I missed it
For me on Win 10 Pro I just log into my account. Period. So it's the same password to log into my desktop as it is to check my email (@outlook.com) on any computer in the browser. So logging in on a different computer using the browser with that password gets me access to email, one note, one drive, calendar etc...

Have you tried that?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis View Post
Hi - I have W10 Home on a Dell Laptop. I've been using OneDrive frequently, and all is going well.

I realized however I have no idea how to access that same OneDrive account from another computer … what url to go to (?), etc.
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. (onedrive.com, redirects to (onedrive.live.com ))

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis View Post
And when I do someday wind up at the proper site, I won't know what password I used to set up the OneDrive account on this computer. (Though I assume that won't be a problem, that there will be the usual, "send us your email and you can reset your password" dialog …?).
You have OneDrive set up on your PC without requiring any sort of other separate login, so I assume you log in with a Microsoft account. That's the same credentials you'll use at OneDrive.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis View Post
So really, if anyone can tell me how I can begin to access my OneDrive account from another computer, I think I'll be fine …

Thanks for any hints!

PS - I probably have read most of the 225 pages of this thread, but I don't remember this question being answered, sorry if I missed it
It hasn't come up But there's a lot to wade through in this thread, and given that it covers back to the first version of Windows 10, has a lot of info which is no longer useful.

Pete
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
You could drag folders to Favorites, I'm surprised you didn't notice.
As I said there is a thing that keeps changing for me in Windows 10 and that is the main or central part of the window at start of explorer sometimes does and sometimes does not show "frequent folders" followed by "recent files".

Sometimes it only shows a list of files. Whether I use the 'tiles' view or details doesn't change the view.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6747
Lives for gear
 
Scoox's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
It was a reported issue for the Fall creator's update (1709). AFAIK, it wasn't happening after that release. What release are you on?
I'm on 1803 (OS Build 17134.523)
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6748
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
For me on Win 10 Pro I just log into my account. Period. So it's the same password to log into my desktop as it is to check my email (@outlook.com) on any computer in the browser. So logging in on a different computer using the browser with that password gets me access to email, one note, one drive, calendar etc...

Have you tried that?

Hi mattiasnyc!


Thanks for the kind reply, as always!


I'm not sure how to apply the info you provided, however, as I don't actually use a password to sign into OneDrive on my laptop (which is the only place I can currently access OneDrive - the situation I'm trying to remedy).

Once I've signed into the laptop itself, OneDrive is accessible by simply clicking on its folder, and available for saving to, renaming, and otherwise manipulating just like any other folder. All that is accomplished *without* using a Microsoft password (I don't use Microsoft for email, so that avenue for troubleshooting is not as helpful as it might have been otherwise).

"All" I'm looking for is a window where my password is requested on another computer (as opposed to the laptop I'm currently on that doesn't require a password). I'm fairly confident from there I will either be able to guess the password, or will be able to reset it somehow. It's finding that initial window to look in that I'm not sure about!

Thanks again for your help, or for anyone else that would like to kick in with any suggestions or comments -
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6749
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis View Post
Hi mattiasnyc!


Thanks for the kind reply, as always!


I'm not sure how to apply the info you provided, however, as I don't actually use a password to sign into OneDrive on my laptop (which is the only place I can currently access OneDrive - the situation I'm trying to remedy).

Once I've signed into the laptop itself, OneDrive is accessible by simply clicking on its folder, and available for saving to, renaming, and otherwise manipulating just like any other folder. All that is accomplished *without* using a Microsoft password (I don't use Microsoft for email, so that avenue for troubleshooting is not as helpful as it might have been otherwise).

"All" I'm looking for is a window where my password is requested on another computer (as opposed to the laptop I'm currently on that doesn't require a password). I'm fairly confident from there I will either be able to guess the password, or will be able to reset it somehow. It's finding that initial window to look in that I'm not sure about!

Thanks again for your help, or for anyone else that would like to kick in with any suggestions or comments -
I understand.

What I meant was that your OneDrive "account" is tied to your general MS account. If you're on a different computer and open up a browser and navigate to for example:

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

I would think you would be asked for a log-in. Use the same credentials you use to log into that laptop but in the browser instead. I would then guess you'd get the browser interface for OneDrive online.

So rather than the email web address it'd be the one to onedrive.live.com.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6750
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. (onedrive.com, redirects to (onedrive.live.com ))



You have OneDrive set up on your PC without requiring any sort of other separate login, so I assume you log in with a Microsoft account. That's the same credentials you'll use at OneDrive.com



It hasn't come up But there's a lot to wade through in this thread, and given that it covers back to the first version of Windows 10, has a lot of info which is no longer useful.

Pete
Oh, thanks Pete, I should have read further!


Though your advice helped a lot, it shone some light on another problem, probably just a hiccough, but one that I can't get past:


The files at onedrive.live.com (accessed via the Authenticator app on my phone) are very incomplete compared to the files on my laptop. It looks like they are missing many folders and files. I have a feeling they are about 9 months out of date … way back when I was accessing OneDrive on another computer, and I suspect the files that are missing at onedrive.live.com are ones that I have created since that time, in my laptop.

So, as I might guess the situation to be now, the vast majority of the OneDrive files in my laptop don't exist on the Microsoft cloud version of my OneDrive account?

Any further suggestions (do they need to be sync'd?*) much appreciated -

Thank you!

* Or might I have somehow created two accounts … very possible though I don't recall doing so … :(

Last edited by alexis; 4 weeks ago at 11:40 PM..
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump