The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Windows 10 is rolling out... share your experiences here Audio Interfaces
Old 14th September 2018
1 2 4 10 11 12 are valid, the rest is either personal preference or in some cases even dangerous. Do not disable your firewall and do not notify turn off window's updates. It doesn't help you with your performance and leaves you vulnerable
Old 14th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusschloesser View Post
1 2 4 10 11 12 are valid, the rest is either personal preference or in some cases even dangerous. Do not disable your firewall and do not notify turn off window's updates. It doesn't help you with your performance and leaves you vulnerable
That's the issue with such opimizations: I cannot agree with your list either...
Old 14th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
That's the issue with such opimizations: I cannot agree with your list either...
I'm on vacation and mistyped on my phone, should have been 1 3 and 4 (not 2)
Anything else you don't like?
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
Thank you! All relevant tweaks I suppose? Anything they might have overlooked? Thanks again
Maybe this Glitch Free - Cantabile - Software for Performing Musicians

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Can disable the firewall if the network is also disabled.
I prefer to add a decent front-end to better control the firewall
Windows Firewall Control

Windows automatic update is a mess, anyway YMMV...

I like this O&O ShutUp10
Old 14th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
Maybe this Glitch Free - Cantabile - Software for Performing Musicians

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Can disable the firewall if the network is also disabled.
I prefer to add a decent front-end to better control the firewall
Windows Firewall Control

Windows automatic update is a mess, anyway YMMV...

I like this O&O ShutUp10
WOW, this seems great!!!

Is it like little snitch on OSX? It can block everything?
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectape View Post
WOW, this seems great!!!

Is it like little snitch on OSX? It can block everything?
I do not know about OSX, but you can block anything with Windows Firewall Control.
Not sure if can it can block the Windows Update...
Old 14th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
I do not know about OSX, but you can block anything with Windows Firewall Control.
Not sure if can it can block the Windows Update...
Thank you for the 3 links. Will try this
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you for the 3 links. Will try this
Glad to help, you may also find some interesting stuff at
Win10 vs Win7 on gig machine and antivirus solutions (MS Defender, etc..) ?
Old 15th September 2018
Lives for gear
Eh, never thought it'd be such a polarizing question Once again, any advice is welcome: websites advocating this or that tweak are plenty, and often are contradictory. So yeah, you guys are really helping. Thanks.

Another one if I may: I've read/heard countless times about stripping down whatever Windows version from boatloads of allegedly useless programs / options etc... : do you guys do it to? And if yes, how?

All I want it to make the most of my computer, which will be dedicated to audio production. I've learnt to get rid of anything useless on my Macs over the years, now I need to learn some new hmm hygiene routine with Win10.
Old 15th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another one if I may: I've read/heard countless times about stripping down whatever Windows version from boatloads of allegedly useless programs / options etc... : do you guys do it to? And if yes, how?
In Win10 vs Win7 on gig machine and antivirus solutions (MS Defender, etc..) ? look at the part
"Two ways to create custom/updated Windows 10/7 installation ISO"
Old 16th September 2018
Quote:
Eh, never thought it'd be such a polarizing question Once again, any advice is welcome: websites advocating this or that tweak are plenty, and often are contradictory. So yeah, you guys are really helping. Thanks.

All I want it to make the most of my computer, which will be dedicated to audio production. I've learnt to get rid of anything useless on my Macs over the years, now I need to learn some new hmm hygiene routine with Win10.
if you have a clean installation (meaning not a bunch of crapware installed by the manufacturer), no need to do anything specific. You should only be careful to only install the most basic drivers if you have either an AMD or nvidia GPU. I recommend using what MS provided, cos the driver packages from nvdia are full of stuff that you don't need nor want. I do most of my driver updates through device manager because they are whql certified and stripped down versions
Old 16th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
if you have a clean installation (meaning not a bunch of crapware installed by the manufacturer), no need to do anything specific. You should only be careful to only install the most basic drivers if you have either an AMD or nvidia GPU. I recommend using what MS provided, cos the driver packages from nvdia are full of stuff that you don't need nor want. I do most of my driver updates through device manager because they are whql certified and stripped down versions
Last time I checked they both install crap, but Nvidia is worst by far...
Some links to help:

-Link 1
-Link 2
-Link 3
Old 17th September 2018
I have gone from running my commercial studio on Windows 7 from the start of Win 7 to windows 10 and have been on Win 10 full time for a few months and casually on win 10 on and off within the last year so I will mention the issues that seem to come up with windows 10.

Windows 10:

-Legacy Firewire driver is removed in Win 8 and Win 10. Needed for a lot of older firewire interfaces, download from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-8-1-or-w

-When Windows 10 does a big major update (once every 6 months or so), if often changes the status of your firewire ports from legacy back to non-legacy. After a big update, you have to open device manager, find the firewire port, hit properties, go to drivers, update, select old legacy driver to enable.

-My studio is dark and I like to use 3rd party themes to make windows black, they will stop working after each major OS update, download the new UXTheme and search online for an updated theme for the OS update. Apparently an official black MS theme is coming so that problem may go away soon.

-I also use that Windows Firewall Control posted above, it uses pretty much no system resources.

-It can't hurt to update plugins especially if you were still running 32bit. If you were using 32bit in the past and there is no 64bit version, use jBridge for your old plugins.

-Windows 10 likes to force big updates on you. Turn the computer on as soon as you get to the studio incase it wants to install something.

Last edited by tomwatson; 17th September 2018 at 01:33 PM..
Old 17th September 2018
Here for the gear
I've installed Windows 10 on my small net here in my house - 6 machines for some different jobs - office, 3D-drawing and audio recording.

Version 1803 totally "killed" my network - the macines can't see or access each other ... completely chaos !

On 4 of them I went back to version 1709 and blocked for updating to 1803/1809.

Strangely enough it works fien now with 2 running 1803 and 4 running 1709.

I use remote desktops a lot, and it seems to work nicely in the setup I use now ... so I'll stay with that for now.

What I still haven't figure out is WakeOnLAN - machines waking nicely before CAN'T wake under windows 10 and I've tested allmost everything - changing driver, BIOS .. I only have ONE machine that can WakeOnLAN and no special about that machine except it's the only one which can wake !!!

My advice is let OTHERS take the first problems in updates ... delay installing them as much as you can !

Old 17th September 2018
Gear Addict

I learned from Nate Wade, that you should keep an updated backup image for the issues mentioned below.
Disable driver updates to keep MS from screwing things up. If you don't want MS screwing with your
system go to settings\network & Internet\ethernet or Wifi\clickyour connection\set metored connection
to on. Turn it either on or off depending on your needs.
Old 18th September 2018
Gear Addict

Here's a new one,
When I save as the file doesn't get saved to the original folder. It's put in the folder one
level up. I don't know if this is unique to the file type or where I'm at in explorer, but never
had to check the address in the past, just complacent knowing it would go to the original.
Old 22nd September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by throbert View Post
I learned from Nate Wade, that you should keep an updated backup image for the issues mentioned below.

Yes, I forgot to add this to my tips. I use Acronis to back everything up. Then you are future proof incase something goes wrong down the line.

You can use Acronis to create it's own partition where it can install it's own boot installer that can be run without windows in dos or UEFI before the computer boots windows by pressing F11.

Partition windows so windows has it's own OS drive that doesn't have your sample libraries or clients files on it.

Back that up with Acronis and put the image on your hard drive in another partition, hard drive or external drive.

If anything every goes wrong with your windows install, you can restore that whole OS partition to it's previous state with Acronis.

I had a black screen once on login after a windows update when using UXstyle to enable 3rd party themes. UxStyle no longer work with the updated win 10. Used Acronis to restore windows, took about 15min to restore the drive from the internal SSDs. Had to do it a few times in the past on the old computer also, usually caused by DAWs or plugins conflicting with each other and causing strange issues. Sometimes it's much faster to just wipe the whole drive and restore it from an image file. Can also help remove strange viruses or malware that appear if they are only present on the OS drive and weren't present in the previous backup. The only issue with using Acronis is that you have to make a new backup when you update your plugins and DAWs otherwise you can break compatibility with newer projects if you have to restore from a backup. Restoring from a backup is usually last resort for that reason, it's best to fix whatever problems occur if you can.
Old 22nd September 2018
mfx
Lives for gear

I'm a backup fanatic from lessons learnt .
Use Macrium reflect.

1 backup of fresh windows install
1 backup once all necessity software installed.
1 back up of system prior to re image just I'm case theres a little gremlin of data I may have needed ti keep and forgot.
Keep a notepad file on desktop which gta copied to the last image folder with a diary of any knstalls, update, rweaks and data that have been completed a Ince last re image.
That way everything within reason can be reset, recalled and fresh.
Works for me amended has saved amended lot of time historically.
Old 27th September 2018
Quote:
Good luck with that. As mentioned previously in this very thread, those aren't legit, no matter what they claim.

Pete
Old 27th September 2018
@Psychlist1972 anything proaudio (or HiDPI) related coming next week? (1810 or whatever the current codename is :-) )
Old 27th September 2018
Quote:
@Psychlist1972 anything proaudio (or HiDPI) related coming next week? (1810 or whatever the current codename is :-) )
"October 2018 Update" is the public name. Internally, it's RS5 or 1809. We haven't yet provided a deployment date, but it's coming soon.

Main thing here is some bug fixes in the bluetooth stack that directly impact BLE MIDI. These are unblocking some of the partners who are working with BLE MIDI. (the BLE SysEx bugs were fixed in 1803).

As far as audio: nothing that impacts ASIO.

There are lots of little "delighters" that folks in other industries, developers, and general consumers will like, plus a bunch of fixes. Off the top of my head:
  • Opt-in copy and paste between machines you have (uses MS account login)
  • Opt-in clipboard history (Windows +C/Windows+ V)
  • Emoji panel (Windows + . )
  • Optional Swiftkey for tablets and touchscreens
  • Bunch of Edge stuff, fixes, etc.
  • Opt-in Integration with Android phones (like reply to texts right on your PC, immediately see your photos, etc.). iOS will hopefully do the same at some point, but needs hooks not currently available from Apple.
  • Ability to share between PCs in close proximity
  • Better screen snipping capability (you can wire it up to Printscn through the settings app, in the accessibility part)
  • Optional dark theme throughout, including explorer, in case you like that
  • Bunch of updates to Notepad and other inbox apps (part of our team owns Notepad, Calculator, Timer, Voice Recorder, My People, Wordpad, and a bunch of other inbox apps).
  • More stuff moved to settings vs control panel

As previously mentioned, we're looking at the FLS slot problem, but that, if it gets changed, is for the next release.

Pete
Old 27th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
"October 2018 Update" is the public name. Internally, it's RS5 or 1809. We haven't yet provided a deployment date, but it's coming soon.

Main thing here is some bug fixes in the bluetooth stack that directly impact BLE MIDI. These are unblocking some of the partners who are working with BLE MIDI. (the BLE SysEx bugs were fixed in 1803).

As far as audio: nothing that impacts ASIO.

There are lots of little "delighters" that folks in other industries, developers, and general consumers will like, plus a bunch of fixes. Off the top of my head:
  • Opt-in copy and paste between machines you have (uses MS account login)
  • Opt-in clipboard history (Windows +C/Windows+ V)
  • Emoji panel (Windows + . )
  • Optional Swiftkey for tablets and touchscreens
  • Bunch of Edge stuff, fixes, etc.
  • Opt-in Integration with Android phones (like reply to texts right on your PC, immediately see your photos, etc.). iOS will hopefully do the same at some point, but needs hooks not currently available from Apple.
  • Ability to share between PCs in close proximity
  • Better screen snipping capability (you can wire it up to Printscn through the settings app, in the accessibility part)
  • Optional dark theme throughout, including explorer, in case you like that
  • Bunch of updates to Notepad and other inbox apps (part of our team owns Notepad, Calculator, Timer, Voice Recorder, My People, Wordpad, and a bunch of other inbox apps).
  • More stuff moved to settings vs control panel

As previously mentioned, we're looking at the FLS slot problem, but that, if it gets changed, is for the next release.

Pete
Thanks very much for your answer!
I already knew all the list stuff (with the exception of: do you know if swiftkey is gonna sync my dictionary from my mobile devices? That's be awesome :D) )
Anything in regards to HiDPI? Ableton and Presonus keep mentioning MS bugs with regards to "per screen dpi aware" handling
Markus
Old 27th September 2018
Quote:
Thanks very much for your answer!
I already knew all the list stuff (with the exception of: do you know if swiftkey is gonna sync my dictionary from my mobile devices? That's be awesome :D) )
Anything in regards to HiDPI? Ableton and Presonus keep mentioning MS bugs with regards to "per screen dpi aware" handling
Markus
We've made a lot of incremental changes in high DPI awareness in every release, but I haven't seen anything *major* for this release.

At least in the case of Ableton Live, if it's the bug report I'm thinking of, the one Ableton brought up is pretty complex and involves timers, VSTs, and more across multiple displays at different DPIs. It's less about actual high DPI rendering and more about other issues that come about due to some underpinning tech.

Haven't seen anything from Presonus on DPI awareness.

Swifkey: Good question. I'm not aware of it syncing across from mobile, but I'll look into it.

Pete
Old 27th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
[*]Opt-in copy and paste between machines you have (uses MS account login)[*]Ability to share between PCs in close proximity
Sounds like "Mouse without borders" with additional need to log in.

In other thoughts, how much must the team over at "Synergy" hate that garage project...

Quote:
[*]Optional dark theme throughout, including explorer, in case you like that
The only real question here is "where has this been the last 3 flaming decades"?!?!?!?
Old 27th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
We've made a lot of incremental changes in high DPI awareness in every release, but I haven't seen anything *major* for this release.

At least in the case of Ableton Live, if it's the bug report I'm thinking of, the one Ableton brought up is pretty complex and involves timers, VSTs, and more across multiple displays at different DPIs. It's less about actual high DPI rendering and more about other issues that come about due to some underpinning tech.

Swifkey: Good question. I'm not aware of it syncing across from mobile, but I'll look into it.

Pete
With the uad massenburg eq in studio one 3 & 4 in high dpi mode on win 10 i can only see a quarter of the plugin.
Contacted Massenburg and uad more than 6 month ago. They didn’t found a solution.
Old 27th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Kaine View Post
Sounds like "Mouse without borders" with additional need to log in.
"Mouse without Borders" is pretty different. Your mouse doesn't roam from computer to computer for this clipboard. The only thing they need is an internet connection. You copy on one computer and then you can paste it into a different computer. But you need to be at each computer for the copy and paste actions.

Again, completely optional, and at least in the builds I've been using, off by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Kaine View Post
The only real question here is "where has this been the last 3 flaming decades"?!?!?!?

Pete
Old 27th September 2018
Quote:
With the uad massenburg eq in studio one 3 & 4 in high dpi mode on win 10 i can only see a quarter of the plugin.
Contacted Massenburg and uad more than 6 month ago. They didn’t found a solution.
Have you tried it in any other DAWs by any chance?

Pete
Old 28th September 2018
Quote:

Pete
that's probably my bug :D lots of issues with Native Instruments Kontakt in Ableton on 2 sceens with different DPIs. Currently working but every other new beta messes something up. When I open the dmps in VS it's always about OpenGL
Old 28th September 2018
Quote:
Have you tried it in any other DAWs by any chance?

Pete
Studio One 4.1 is supposed to fix this. But these kind of bugs sound exactly what I encountered a couple of times. Mostly NI, some Soundtoys (the advanced editor)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search