The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Windows 10 is rolling out... share your experiences here Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
That's the issue with such opimizations: I cannot agree with your list either...
I'm on vacation and mistyped on my phone, should have been 1 3 and 4 (not 2)
Anything else you don't like?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
Thank you! All relevant tweaks I suppose? Anything they might have overlooked? Thanks again
Maybe this Glitch Free - Cantabile - Software for Performing Musicians

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusschloesser View Post
1 2 4 10 11 12 are valid, the rest is either personal preference or in some cases even dangerous. Do not disable your firewall and do not notify turn off window's updates. It doesn't help you with your performance and leaves you vulnerable
Can disable the firewall if the network is also disabled.
I prefer to add a decent front-end to better control the firewall
Windows Firewall Control

Windows automatic update is a mess, anyway YMMV...

I like this O&O ShutUp10
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
Maybe this Glitch Free - Cantabile - Software for Performing Musicians

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Can disable the firewall if the network is also disabled.
I prefer to add a decent front-end to better control the firewall
Windows Firewall Control

Windows automatic update is a mess, anyway YMMV...

I like this O&O ShutUp10
WOW, this seems great!!!

Is it like little snitch on OSX? It can block everything?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectape View Post
WOW, this seems great!!!

Is it like little snitch on OSX? It can block everything?
I do not know about OSX, but you can block anything with Windows Firewall Control.
Not sure if can it can block the Windows Update...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
I do not know about OSX, but you can block anything with Windows Firewall Control.
Not sure if can it can block the Windows Update...
Thank you for the 3 links. Will try this
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Eh, never thought it'd be such a polarizing question Once again, any advice is welcome: websites advocating this or that tweak are plenty, and often are contradictory. So yeah, you guys are really helping. Thanks.

Another one if I may: I've read/heard countless times about stripping down whatever Windows version from boatloads of allegedly useless programs / options etc... : do you guys do it to? And if yes, how?

All I want it to make the most of my computer, which will be dedicated to audio production. I've learnt to get rid of anything useless on my Macs over the years, now I need to learn some new hmm hygiene routine with Win10.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Another one if I may: I've read/heard countless times about stripping down whatever Windows version from boatloads of allegedly useless programs / options etc... : do you guys do it to? And if yes, how?
In Win10 vs Win7 on gig machine and antivirus solutions (MS Defender, etc..) ? look at the part
"Two ways to create custom/updated Windows 10/7 installation ISO"
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Eh, never thought it'd be such a polarizing question Once again, any advice is welcome: websites advocating this or that tweak are plenty, and often are contradictory. So yeah, you guys are really helping. Thanks.

All I want it to make the most of my computer, which will be dedicated to audio production. I've learnt to get rid of anything useless on my Macs over the years, now I need to learn some new hmm hygiene routine with Win10.
if you have a clean installation (meaning not a bunch of crapware installed by the manufacturer), no need to do anything specific. You should only be careful to only install the most basic drivers if you have either an AMD or nvidia GPU. I recommend using what MS provided, cos the driver packages from nvdia are full of stuff that you don't need nor want. I do most of my driver updates through device manager because they are whql certified and stripped down versions
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusschloesser View Post
if you have a clean installation (meaning not a bunch of crapware installed by the manufacturer), no need to do anything specific. You should only be careful to only install the most basic drivers if you have either an AMD or nvidia GPU. I recommend using what MS provided, cos the driver packages from nvdia are full of stuff that you don't need nor want. I do most of my driver updates through device manager because they are whql certified and stripped down versions
Last time I checked they both install crap, but Nvidia is worst by far...
Some links to help:

-Link 1
-Link 2
-Link 3
Old 1 week ago
I have gone from running my commercial studio on Windows 7 from the start of Win 7 to windows 10 and have been on Win 10 full time for a few months and casually on win 10 on and off within the last year so I will mention the issues that seem to come up with windows 10.

Windows 10:

-Legacy Firewire driver is removed in Win 8 and Win 10. Needed for a lot of older firewire interfaces, download from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-8-1-or-w

-When Windows 10 does a big major update (once every 6 months or so), if often changes the status of your firewire ports from legacy back to non-legacy. After a big update, you have to open device manager, find the firewire port, hit properties, go to drivers, update, select old legacy driver to enable.

-My studio is dark and I like to use 3rd party themes to make windows black, they will stop working after each major OS update, download the new UXTheme and search online for an updated theme for the OS update. Apparently an official black MS theme is coming so that problem may go away soon.

-I also use that Windows Firewall Control posted above, it uses pretty much no system resources.

-It can't hurt to update plugins especially if you were still running 32bit. If you were using 32bit in the past and there is no 64bit version, use jBridge for your old plugins.

-Windows 10 likes to force big updates on you. Turn the computer on as soon as you get to the studio incase it wants to install something.

Last edited by tomwatson; 1 week ago at 01:33 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I've installed Windows 10 on my small net here in my house - 6 machines for some different jobs - office, 3D-drawing and audio recording.

Version 1803 totally "killed" my network - the macines can't see or access each other ... completely chaos !

On 4 of them I went back to version 1709 and blocked for updating to 1803/1809.

Strangely enough it works fien now with 2 running 1803 and 4 running 1709.

I use remote desktops a lot, and it seems to work nicely in the setup I use now ... so I'll stay with that for now.

What I still haven't figure out is WakeOnLAN - machines waking nicely before CAN'T wake under windows 10 and I've tested allmost everything - changing driver, BIOS .. I only have ONE machine that can WakeOnLAN and no special about that machine except it's the only one which can wake !!!

My advice is let OTHERS take the first problems in updates ... delay installing them as much as you can !

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I learned from Nate Wade, that you should keep an updated backup image for the issues mentioned below.
Disable driver updates to keep MS from screwing things up. If you don't want MS screwing with your
system go to settings\network & Internet\ethernet or Wifi\clickyour connection\set metored connection
to on. Turn it either on or off depending on your needs.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Here's a new one,
When I save as the file doesn't get saved to the original folder. It's put in the folder one
level up. I don't know if this is unique to the file type or where I'm at in explorer, but never
had to check the address in the past, just complacent knowing it would go to the original.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by throbert View Post
I learned from Nate Wade, that you should keep an updated backup image for the issues mentioned below.

Yes, I forgot to add this to my tips. I use Acronis to back everything up. Then you are future proof incase something goes wrong down the line.

You can use Acronis to create it's own partition where it can install it's own boot installer that can be run without windows in dos or UEFI before the computer boots windows by pressing F11.

Partition windows so windows has it's own OS drive that doesn't have your sample libraries or clients files on it.

Back that up with Acronis and put the image on your hard drive in another partition, hard drive or external drive.

If anything every goes wrong with your windows install, you can restore that whole OS partition to it's previous state with Acronis.

I had a black screen once on login after a windows update when using UXstyle to enable 3rd party themes. UxStyle no longer work with the updated win 10. Used Acronis to restore windows, took about 15min to restore the drive from the internal SSDs. Had to do it a few times in the past on the old computer also, usually caused by DAWs or plugins conflicting with each other and causing strange issues. Sometimes it's much faster to just wipe the whole drive and restore it from an image file. Can also help remove strange viruses or malware that appear if they are only present on the OS drive and weren't present in the previous backup. The only issue with using Acronis is that you have to make a new backup when you update your plugins and DAWs otherwise you can break compatibility with newer projects if you have to restore from a backup. Restoring from a backup is usually last resort for that reason, it's best to fix whatever problems occur if you can.
Old 3 days ago
mfx
Lives for gear

I'm a backup fanatic from lessons learnt .
Use Macrium reflect.

1 backup of fresh windows install
1 backup once all necessity software installed.
1 back up of system prior to re image just I'm case theres a little gremlin of data I may have needed ti keep and forgot.
Keep a notepad file on desktop which gta copied to the last image folder with a diary of any knstalls, update, rweaks and data that have been completed a Ince last re image.
That way everything within reason can be reset, recalled and fresh.
Works for me amended has saved amended lot of time historically.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search