The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Windows 10 is rolling out... share your experiences here
Old 12th February 2017
  #4081
Lives for gear
 
JayTee4303's Avatar
Win 10 came on 3 identical laptops I bought for our live rig, and does everything I need it to do.

It never, ever, ever, updates in the middle of a gig, or any other time either. Cortana is way long gone too.

After patching it to date, before beginning the software build, it went offline, and it will never, ever, ever go back online. Nor will any other spyware I'm aware of.

Zero opinion. 100% fact.

:-)
Old 12th February 2017
  #4082
Lives for gear
 
TREMORS's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post

Since I've found out Windows 10 has multiple builds it's also a fact that hardly anyone knew about it. I talked to at least 100 people and not 1 person were aware of this.
Do you really know 100 people that ignorant?
Are you in a retirement home?

The fact there would be different builds was announced when Windows 10 was announced...almost 2 years ago.

And, I have no idea what you are going on about versions and talking about winver.

You go to Settings>System>About and it gives you that information.

No disrespect but based on that it seems you literally have no idea what you are talking about and very little knowledge on how to navigate a computer.
Old 12th February 2017
  #4083
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREMORS View Post
Do you really know 100 people that ignorant?
Are you in a retirement home?

The fact there would be different builds was announced when Windows 10 was announced...almost 2 years ago.

And, I have no idea what you are going on about versions and talking about winver.

You go to Settings>System>About and it gives you that information.

No disrespect but based on that it seems you literally have no idea what you are talking about and very little knowledge on how to navigate a computer.
Nice way to offend casual users

Some very smart people don't even know how to screen shot let alone worry about which build they are on.

And it's funny that any post towards me gets the same 4 likes lol. You guys are too funny

Anyway i don't want people to think something is wrong with Windows 10 as it's working for me! Now that UAD newer interfaces can run on it, I know better and more exciting this are in store.

Enjoy your Sunday fellas!!!
Old 13th February 2017
  #4084
Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
Before anyone get mad, my point is - there's so much innovation that MS just don't have. Seems very poor taste that doesn't excite consumers anymore. Windows 10 is ok and again thank God other companies make good things for it because MS products suck and they really need some talent over there, whether is Slate or whoever.
That is all they need to do, provide a solid OS. Independent developers do the rest. There is no reason why MS needs to develop their own soft/hardware, I don't see how this will benefit a flourishing landscape of developers who already do a great job.
ASIO works great for drivers, as has been doing so for about 20 years now.
It allows Direct Monitoring, which Apple *still does *not support.
What benefit does anyone have if MS would buy Slate Digital? Or Cockos?
Absolutely bloody nothing.
We deal with MS because they provide a working and flexible operating system, not because they have opportunities to make great audio products.
I don't see what mobile phones and gaming consoles have lost in this thread.

BTW that is not an invitation to an endless discussion, just my last words wasted on this topic.

/out
Old 13th February 2017
  #4085
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
That is all they need to do, provide a solid OS. Independent developers do the rest. There is no reason why MS needs to develop their own soft/hardware, I don't see how this will benefit a flourishing landscape of developers who already do a great job.
ASIO works great for drivers, as has been doing so for about 20 years now.
It allows Direct Monitoring, which Apple *still does *not support.
What benefit does anyone have if MS would buy Slate Digital? Or Cockos?
Absolutely bloody nothing.
We deal with MS because they provide a working and flexible operating system, not because they have opportunities to make great audio products.
I don't see what mobile phones and gaming consoles have lost in this thread.

BTW that is not an invitation to an endless discussion, just my last words wasted on this topic.

/out
Your opinion of my opinion has absolutely bloody no value to me. My experience with Windows 10 is mediocre at best because there's nothing exciting about it when it comes to music.

I have as much software for Windows as I do for Apple, but again, Apple offers much more as a company than Microsoft.

Nothing you post with change that. MS are losing their thrill factor more and more as they fail to make good decisions and succeed and trying to be followers.

Some other poster said Apple didn't innovate since Jobs, but did innovate since Gates?

We are actually on the same side as we'd post like to see things move in a better direction. Windows 7 was really good long ago, they haven't really made much progress IMHO.
Old 13th February 2017
  #4086
Gear Guru
 

I think that when a poster criticizes an OS for being an OS and saying the half-a-Trillion dollar company is doing poorly then it's probably time to move on to something valuable to talk about...
Old 13th February 2017
  #4087
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I think that when a poster criticizes an OS for being an OS and saying the half-a-Trillion dollar company is doing poorly then it's probably time to move on to something valuable to talk about...
One could argue that about Windows Vista as well right? Oh yea that half of trillion dollar company did a great job with that as well. Yea your point is valid, but it has holes in it.
Old 19th February 2017
  #4088
Here for the gear
 

Sorry to interrupt ridiculous squabble session but I have IMPORTANT NEWS to share.

In Windows 10 build 1607 (yes, I know the build# ) I have had to reinstall Behringer drivers for my UFX1204 mixer/interface almost every day I use it.

I have the latest drivers and firmware installed.

The mixer is USB 2.

The 2015 Dell Alienware computer only has USB 3 ports.

Sometimes Windows 10 will not load the drivers completely EVEN THO Device Manager says they are working properly.

Sometimes Windows 10 cannot see them in Playback Devices so they cannot be selected there EVEN THO my DAW sees and uses them fine.

Sometimes neither Windows 10 nor my DAW can see or use them EVEN THO the mixer/interface is hooked up & turned on as always.

Sometimes a system reboot will fix it. Sometimes it won't.

Sometimes I have to reinstall the drivers completely.

OAN, Windows 10 cannot see the drivers beyond a 44.1k setting. At 48k & above this interface cannot be used by Windows 10 as default sound device EVEN THO the onboard Sounblaster card can be used up to 192k.

Whether any of this is Windows 10's or Behringer's fault, I don't know, but neither one will admit to it.

Now back to your irregularly scheduled squabbling.
Old 19th February 2017
  #4089
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Joens View Post
Sorry to interrupt ridiculous squabble session but I have IMPORTANT NEWS to share.

In Windows 10 build 1607 (yes, I know the build# ) I have had to reinstall Behringer drivers for my UFX1204 mixer/interface almost every day I use it.

I have the latest drivers and firmware installed.

The mixer is USB 2.

The 2015 Dell Alienware computer only has USB 3 ports.

Sometimes Windows 10 will not load the drivers completely EVEN THO Device Manager says they are working properly.

Sometimes Windows 10 cannot see them in Playback Devices so they cannot be selected there EVEN THO my DAW sees and uses them fine.

Sometimes neither Windows 10 nor my DAW can see or use them EVEN THO the mixer/interface is hooked up & turned on as always.

Sometimes a system reboot will fix it. Sometimes it won't.

Sometimes I have to reinstall the drivers completely.

OAN, Windows 10 cannot see the drivers beyond a 44.1k setting. At 48k & above this interface cannot be used by Windows 10 as default sound device EVEN THO the onboard Sounblaster card can be used up to 192k.

Whether any of this is Windows 10's or Behringer's fault, I don't know, but neither one will admit to it.

Now back to your irregularly scheduled squabbling.
I know this might not be of much help, but it may be behringer moreso than windows. My old UMA25 used to give me tons of problems once I upgraded from XP
Old 19th February 2017
  #4090
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Joens View Post
Sorry to interrupt ridiculous squabble session but I have IMPORTANT NEWS to share.

In Windows 10 build 1607 (yes, I know the build# ) I have had to reinstall Behringer drivers for my UFX1204 mixer/interface almost every day I use it.

I have the latest drivers and firmware installed.

The mixer is USB 2.

The 2015 Dell Alienware computer only has USB 3 ports.

Sometimes Windows 10 will not load the drivers completely EVEN THO Device Manager says they are working properly.

Sometimes Windows 10 cannot see them in Playback Devices so they cannot be selected there EVEN THO my DAW sees and uses them fine.

Sometimes neither Windows 10 nor my DAW can see or use them EVEN THO the mixer/interface is hooked up & turned on as always.

Sometimes a system reboot will fix it. Sometimes it won't.

Sometimes I have to reinstall the drivers completely.

OAN, Windows 10 cannot see the drivers beyond a 44.1k setting. At 48k & above this interface cannot be used by Windows 10 as default sound device EVEN THO the onboard Sounblaster card can be used up to 192k.

Whether any of this is Windows 10's or Behringer's fault, I don't know, but neither one will admit to it.

Now back to your irregularly scheduled squabbling.
Sorry to hear this, I had drivers removed for me as well but not everyday.
Old 19th February 2017
  #4091
Lives for gear
 

"Now back to your irregularly scheduled squabbling."

most excellent
Old 19th February 2017
  #4092
Here for the gear
 

I too believe it's the drivers. 1st, I do not believe they are 100% Windows 10 compatible but I need to test them on my Windows 7 machine 1st.

Of course, they may not be 100% Windows 7 compatible either.

What gets me the most is Behringer telling me their interface can only operate in Windows @44.1k when the manual clearly states otherwise. I know it is a Behringer but they should know their own product better than that.

I put up with all this because I like the mixer and for the price no one else can touch it for the features. A shame, really, that no one else makes one like it.
Old 19th February 2017
  #4093
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Joens View Post


I too believe it's the drivers. 1st, I do not believe they are 100% Windows 10 compatible but I need to test them on my Windows 7 machine 1st.

Of course, they may not be 100% Windows 7 compatible either.

What gets me the most is Behringer telling me their interface can only operate in Windows @44.1k when the manual clearly states otherwise. I know it is a Behringer but they should know their own product better than that.

I put up with all this because I like the mixer and for the price no one else can touch it for the features. A shame, really, that no one else makes one like it.
Another vote that the Behringer driver is the weak link.

Features are meaningless if the pile of metal and plastic does not work, blows your creative mindset at random times during every single day of the week, and has defects that are accumulating in numbers from users.

A fast view of the Behringer user forums show the driver problems being very common. There is also a 3rd party review I read last night suggesting to regularly connect/disconnect the mixer to assure it is seen by its driver and computer system... wtf! That was a review!

Anyway, my vote is the culprit is the B driver. The entire philosophy of this thing is just bizarre anyway. A three hundred dollar 44.1 usb stick recording animal sidechained to a mixer with a poorly designed usb interface feature that's not really an interface but.... never mind. Whatever it's supposed to be.... it's a bag of pain.

For those insisting on a product of this type of structure, the Soundcraft mtk stuff is a possibly wonderful consideration. One of them is around $400.... another is what, $700?..... And hey.....they work.
Old 20th February 2017
  #4094
When troubleshooting USB2 devices connected to USB3 ports, I always recommend trying a USB2 (not 3) hub in-between. Uninstall the device (and select the option to delete the driver) from the Device Manager before doing this.

Sometimes, the chipsets or drivers/firmware on one end or the other do not behave well in USB3->USB2 setups. I've seen it more than once. As I recall, the issue was that the devices were not reporting themselves properly, and so the communication gets confused.

Pete
Old 28th February 2017
  #4095
Lives for gear
 

Anyone know of any forward-looking discussions of Windows 10+Hololens for future audio tracking and mixing? I see unlimited potential... exciting possible options... but maybe I'm about three years too early. I can't quite get all the scenarios together in my head and I don't (yet) see discussions anywhere.
Old 1st March 2017
  #4096
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I think that when a poster criticizes an OS for being an OS and saying the half-a-Trillion dollar company is doing poorly then it's probably time to move on to something valuable to talk about...
No OS is just an OS, in that case MS wouldn't make Office or movie maker. Some people are so one track minded, but MS already make much more than OSs.

Why claim it's a bad idea to make a daw, just doesn't add up to reality.
Old 1st March 2017
  #4097
Lives for gear
 

Can anyone please summarize how the major March 2017 W10 update is expected to affect DAW users?

Cubase 9 user here (USB e-licenser), Steinberg interface, iLok plugins, Yamaha Motif keyboard (old keyboard, but driver is fine with the current version of W10).

Thanks!
Old 1st March 2017
  #4098
Lives for gear
 
Analogue Mastering's Avatar
I have no evidence, but would not expect any problems or performance improvements. Nothing major that impacts the typical ASIO centric daw
Old 1st March 2017
  #4099
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis View Post
Can anyone please summarize how the major March 2017 W10 update is expected to affect DAW users?

Cubase 9 user here (USB e-licenser), Steinberg interface, iLok plugins, Yamaha Motif keyboard (old keyboard, but driver is fine with the current version of W10).

Thanks!
What is the major March update? I've read the original 1511 build will be no longer supported, but you can easily update to to the newest build if you're not already updated.

I updated to build 1607 a few weeks ago and everything is working just find!
Old 2nd March 2017
  #4100
The majority of the audio work in the Creators Update is around spatial audio.

We also have an in-box USB Audio 2 driver, but it's consumer-oriented right now. Chances are, for any drivers not on Windows Update, your class-compliant USB Audio 2 device will end up using that until you install the manufacturer-specific driver.

This update also includes much better options around update/upgrade times, rebooting, etc. You can snooze updates when they're at a bad time, for example.

We've continued moving settings from control panel and into the settings app.

Game Mode is something to consider trying out with DAWs. It's an expansion of the core isolation work we did, and changes thread priority and what's on the cores the app is using. Although targeted to games, there may be benefits to other performance-hungry applications. To use it, Hit Win+G when the app is running, and select the option to treat the app like a game. You can turn it off for the app later if it doesn't do anything useful. Some of the DAW manufacturers are already trying out this feature to see how it works for them.

Finally, for folks who stay up late at night using their DAW, you may appreciate the blue-light reduction you can optionally schedule. This is similar to what's on the iPad, and done for the same reasons: blue light within an hour or two before bed has been shown to make it more difficult to get to sleep because it impacts melatonin generation.

Pete
Old 2nd March 2017
  #4101
Also, I haven't tested iLok or the e-licenser. Copy protection tools often break on OS upgrades because they do things they shouldn't do. In most cases, reinstalling their tool fixes it.

Pete
Old 2nd March 2017
  #4102
Lives for gear
 
wakestyle's Avatar
Lots of little things in the update..
night light - adjusts blue light for ease on eyes
greater control of updates (not for Home version)
[Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options > Pause Updates]
greater control of driver updates when updating windows (not for Home version)
[Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options > Pause Updates]
For networking you might benefit from 'set ethernet to metered' for where internet data charges apply
I've heard lots of other things like possible fixes for graphic bugs with taskbar... It looks to be good update as usually these updates are almost the same as reinstalling a fresh copy of windows, except with keeping all your programs. Hopefully no issues will arise, but probably something miniscule will like ilok breaking and then they will have to release a new patch...
Old 2nd March 2017
  #4103
This article is a decent list of new features (but don't click in the margins, as it uses that obnoxious approach to launch ads)

What’s New in Windows 10’s Creators Update, Arriving Spring 2017

One thing that folks here likely won't see (because you are doing upgrades, not new installs), but have commented on in the past is the out of box privacy setup experience. It's no longer a link on the page, but instead a set of explicit switches.

They gloss over the Bash updates, though. Some serious updates in there including the ability to launch Win32 apps from Bash, much deeper support for command-line Linux applications, better networking support, and more.

Finally, I think this will be of interest here:

"Windows Remembers Which Built-in Apps You Don’t Want: When you uninstall built-in apps like Mail and Maps, they won’t automatically be reinstalled when you upgrade Windows. Windows will now respect your choice. You can always reinstall those apps from the Store, if you want them."


Pete
Old 2nd March 2017
  #4104
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Also, I haven't tested iLok or the e-licenser. Copy protection tools often break on OS upgrades because they do things they shouldn't do. In most cases, reinstalling their tool fixes it.

Pete
iLok and eLicenser working fine here with latest fast ring release (15046). Reinstallation not needed through any of the last several releases. Still a few UI issues with the OS, but all-in-all looks like a pretty solid upgrade.
Old 3rd March 2017
  #4105
Here for the gear
 

How does the install deal with unsigned drivers? Will they be left in place or will you have to reinstall them using advanced startup?

Cheers,

KanaryProduction
Old 3rd March 2017
  #4106
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanaryProduction View Post
How does the install deal with unsigned drivers? Will they be left in place or will you have to reinstall them using advanced startup?

Cheers,

KanaryProduction
Others have reported in the past that you'll have to reinstall. I haven't tried it myself, but that seems likely.

Pete
Old 3rd March 2017
  #4107
Lives for gear
 
throbert's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Others have reported in the past that you'll have to reinstall. I haven't tried it myself, but that seems likely.

Pete
should be an installation option
Old 3rd March 2017
  #4108
Quote:
Originally Posted by throbert View Post
should be an installation option
Driver signing is required for end-user safety. Making it easy would be like having a dialog on websites "Install Malware? Yes | No".

Without driver signing, there's no way of knowing that the driver is legit. It could be something nasty.

Changing the boot option and installing the driver is annoying, but a one-time thing every 6 months or so.

Pete
Old 3rd March 2017
  #4109
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by throbert View Post
should be an installation option
Driver signing is required for end-user safety. Making it easy would be like having a dialog on websites "Install Malware? Yes | No".

Without driver signing, there's no way of knowing that the driver is legit. It could be something nasty.

Changing the boot option and installing the driver is annoying, but a one-time thing every 6 months or so.

Pete
1) will it alert the user to drivers that it had a problem with?
2) are there directions somewhere on how to reinstall those drivers?

Thanks -
Old 3rd March 2017
  #4110
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis View Post
1) will it alert the user to drivers that it had a problem with?
2) are there directions somewhere on how to reinstall those drivers?

Thanks -
Presumably no alert. Like I said, I haven't tried this myself. The only unsigned driver I used to use was for microcontroller programming/debugging, and they eventually made a signed version.

Reinstall: I had assumed you were the person who installed them originally. If so, follow those same steps. Otherwise, there are a bunch of walk-throughs on the web. Here's one.
https://en.code-bude.net/2015/08/19/...in-windows-10/

I assume this is a driver for an old bit of music hardware, like one of the old Roland devices?

Pete
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump