The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Windows 10 is rolling out... post your experiences here
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I upgraded to the Pro edition. No upgrade hassles or worries, although I have manually upgraded pretty much every time I'm notified there are updates available. Computer is always online.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
It is Windows 10, deal with it, MS have no interest at all in pro users.
Let's rephrase that: they don't fully understand the needs for single workstations. They do have a lot of features and tools for professionals, they just define the professional rather as datacenter people using LTSB licenses.
As Vin usually says, we are not even a blip on the radar.
Sales wise, that is absolutely true.

That being said, with a few settings W10 is nothing short of an excellent platform for pro use for realtime audio, video, 3D etc.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

updated it to creator's edition and now windows update doesn't work. how awesome...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffw5555 View Post
I really hadn't heard much about the Creators Edition previously, thought is was a simple update, turned out to be basically a full upgrade, sort of Windows 11 if you think of it that way. My computer automatically went thru the update a few nights ago. I wish I would have continued to push it out indefinitely, at least researched it more, because it is still horribly buggy. I would strongly advise people not to accept this bungled update. Give Microsoft a couple years to make it stable.

I use this particular computer for several purposes, it is my DAW and it is my main development computer (I own a small business that has a software application along with hardware. I do the hardware development and my business partner does the application development) Fortunately, as far as I can tell, the DAW-related apps and hardware are working OK, (have a UAD Apollo system, the full NI Kontrol + Komplete 11, tons of Waves, and Sonar Platinum) although I have not done any tracking in the last few days, nor have I had the time to do a full latency check yet. I expect some bugs, but hope for the best.

Curiously, the main problems I have had are with the Office 365 stuff. This suite of applications is horrible, designed by idiots, kind of like the Windows 8 of office stuff. Chock full of bugs they cannot ever seem to fix. Well, I had the suite working somewhat OK, then the Cretin's Update went and broke it again. Had to run a bunch of patches to get it working again.

By far the worst problem was the loss of my printers. Went to print the day's shipping labels and manifests, and WTF, the printers are gone. Try to go into Control Panel, and WTF, they removed Control Panel from the left Start Menu. Why? Surely they know they put out buggy crap software that needs some troubleshooting, why hide Control Panel? Anyway, Device Manager appears by itself now in the left click Start, so I check and the printers are there, but Windows doesn't see them. I thought, OK I will just uninstall them and reinstall them and the problem will be fixed. Errr, no, cant install them, get installation errors, probably a driver issue. I spent all day doing workarounds and tweaks in the registry to get them loaded, still not totally fixed but I can at least use the printer with a bunch of limitations.

And Microsoft, if you are reading this, NO, I don't want your ****ing Edge crap. And I don't need that Cortana bull****. I don't really want your Office crap either. I am tired of you putting out new revisions of products that are functionally worse than the last one. (Remember Windows 8? Who was the dip**** that had that bright idea? Windows 10 has yet to touch Windows 7 as far as usability...) And what really burns my ass is you forcing me to update to your newer crappier product. I am going to have to buy a copy of Office 2013 and get rid of the crappy and buggy Office 365. It seems like it takes Microsoft 5 years to get a product to be stable without tons of bugs, so Office 2013 is probably stable by now.

I just want a software environment that works. Spend a lot more in fixing what you have before moving on to destroy the functionality and what usability we already have.
My Windows experience has been briefly using XP in the mid-2000's on an off line computer that was very solid on Nuendo, and an also solid Hackentosh from 2012-2017. With the Creators update, I too lost my printer. The biggest PITA was PT11 HD freezes/instability which I updated to PT 12 HD (no regrets there, major improvement). I then upgraded all plugins to the latest version, no surprise to see an improvement there . In my case the crashes were caused by 3 Izotope plugs (Ozone 5 Advanced, Alloy2, and iZ MeterTap, in addition to the latest version of PSP Xenon) I removed the offending plugins. Working well here.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffw5555 View Post

because it is still horribly buggy. I would strongly advise people not to accept this bungled update. Give Microsoft a couple years to make it stable.

I disagree, it's a nice update although it is big and took a bit to install....which perhaps means I MIGHT keep my daw on a C bay tray and set that one to never connect to the internet (like I used to do with win7/xp. And then another C drive bay tray for my day to day stuff (non-daw)
where I don't care if updates happen

Curiously, the main problems I have had are with the Office 365 stuff.

It's funny, I still don't use Office 365. I install Office 2002....yes....2002 for Word/Excel etc and get skype and email installed separately.... I dunno even what else is supposidly part of Office 365.
Win 10 updates the 2002 Word/Excel etc stuff and I don't even think about it ..other than a couple of updates I have blocked on wushowhide

Try to go into Control Panel, and WTF, they removed Control Panel from the left Start Menu. Why?

It's okay with me because I now have Control panel pinned to my taskbar... which I keep at the TOP OF THE SCREEN.... I can't understand why people like taskbars at the bottom of screens.........anyway.....if you want....type "control panel" in your search box and when you see it, immediately right click to pin it to start or the taskbar.....if you want. Much faster than right clicking for stuff all the time.... I have "settings" pinned as well as I often go in there. You can even pin device manager through a couple of steps... in fact... you can pin just about ANYTHING if you want.

And Microsoft, if you are reading this, NO, I don't want your ****ing Edge crap. And I don't need that Cortana bull****.

I don't use Edge or Cortana either. But it doesn't bother me that they're available if I want to use them in the future.

I don't really want your Office crap either.

It's so funny every time I pull out my Office 2002 cd to install it on fresh, fresh, fresh installs.

I am tired of you putting out new revisions of products that are functionally worse than the last one. (Remember Windows 8? Who was the dip**** that had that bright idea?

Again, I disagree... the creator update is fine for me and I'm looking forward to the next biggie update that we get...what... in September or October or so? Mulling if I want to isolate the daw on its own C drive bay tray as I mentioned earlier.

Windows 10 has yet to touch Windows 7 as far as usability...)

Disagree... although I still have win7 on several computers.

And what really burns my ass is you forcing me to update to your newer crappier product.

Well.... only if you keep your structure the way it is.

I am going to have to buy a copy of Office 2013 and get rid of the crappy and buggy Office 365.

Or... Office 2002

It seems like it takes Microsoft 5 years to get a product to be stable without tons of bugs, so Office 2013 is probably stable by now.

I only consider my three remaining Windows 98se computers have become super stable and what-they-should-have-been-in-1998 in the past 3 years via the Unofficial Service Pak 3 stuff. So, for me, win98 got real stable within 14 years of release rather than 5. Which was okay as I had the xp/7 diversions to keep me busy too as time went on

Win 10 is pretty cool so far.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Let's rephrase that: they don't fully understand the needs for single workstations. They do have a lot of features and tools for professionals, they just define the professional rather as datacenter people using LTSB licenses.
As Vin usually says, we are not even a blip on the radar.
Sales wise, that is absolutely true.

That being said, with a few settings W10 is nothing short of an excellent platform for pro use for realtime audio, video, 3D etc.
My comment is based n the fact that even with the update service turned off, and all the tweaks to have a really nice system (It was) the POS still updated itself and bricked my install.
I do like W10 a lot, when it doesn't update itself and in the process, bend me over and widen my sexual horizons !!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
My comment is based n the fact that even with the update service turned off, and all the tweaks to have a really nice system (It was) the POS still updated itself and bricked my install.
I do like W10 a lot, when it doesn't update itself and in the process, bend me over and widen my sexual horizons !!!
Now that is a serious issue. 100% sure you had disabled the service? Was it activated after the upgrade?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Now that is a serious issue. 100% sure you had disabled the service? Was it activated after the upgrade?
Yeah it was off, and chugging along nicely, right up until this issue it was grand, but it sneaked in the creators update somehow.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi - Would someone please let me know the command to "roll back" an update (like from a plug-in manufacturer) to the previously downloaded/installed version?

Google searching for things that have "W10" and "roll back" seem to be full of people trying to get back to W7 ... couldn't find anything for rolling back a separate program rather than the OS!

Thanks!

Last edited by alexis; 3 weeks ago at 01:50 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How "vulnerable" is my Creators Edition desktop with "automatic sample submission" turned off in the Windows Defender Security Center?

"Please note: Automatic sample submission is turned off. Your device may be vulnerable".

Thanks -
Old 3 weeks ago
I have 'Cloud Based Protection' and 'Automatic Sample Submission' turned off and am not worried at all, for what it's worth. I think the latter just means if you happen to be the first case of a new security threat, M$ will get notified straight away by your PC, but you probably have more chance of winning the lottery...
Old 2 weeks ago
bluetooth and wifi midi is now integrated. Any experiences?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Latest Windows Insider program release, 16257, displayed "Welcome to the Fall Creator's Upgrade" when first started. There will probably be more updates before its the "final" version but that took me by surprise. I've seen reports of a Fall Creator's Upgrade, possibly in September for the Win 10 production versions.

Initial (quick) tests with the new 16257 version and Cakewalk Sonar Platinum did not have any problems. Resplendence Latency Mon shows it is clean for audio.
Old 2 weeks ago
mfx
Lives for gear

Keep checking in this thread. Really odd as no Creators edition installed afaik.
Windows10Pro Version 1607 OS Build 14393.351
According to MS website
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...or=-2147217396

Update status "Yuor device is upto date Today 14:59.

My latest update was 28/07 KB4023057 but it does show Windows 10 Creators updae Privacy settings KB4013214. Can see since a update for Windows 10 version 1607 KB3199986.

I cant see any creators update apart from one mentioned in my update history since 29/10/2016 just regular malicious software updates, a nvidia update (don't have nvidia bloatware installed and not a lot else.

So im totally confused do I have it or not!? If not then suggest MS has checked something on my rig as not being compatible at a guess!
Old 1 week ago
1703 is the Creators Update (March 2017 version)
1607 is the Anniversary Update from last summer. (July 2016 version)

Don't have a build number for the Fall Creators Update yet. That will depend on the month it's released.

Not sure why it didn't come down automatically (I've heard of this happening, but don't know the cause), but if you want to force an upgrade, you can download and install manually, doing an upgrade install. You can create an iso using the Media Creation Tool.

In any case, start here. There are a few options.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Pete
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur View Post
bluetooth and wifi midi is now integrated. Any experiences?
FYI.

Currently, Cakewalk SONAR is the only DAW which supports our new MIDI API, which includes Bluetooth MIDI.

Pete
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

From comments on the tenforums.com Microsoft isn't automatically offering the CU to some with potentially incompatible hardware. I've seen several posts from users inquiring why they haven't been upgraded. (??)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
From comments on the tenforums.com Microsoft isn't automatically offering the CU to some with potentially incompatible hardware. I've seen several posts from users inquiring why they haven't been upgraded. (??)
Personally. I'd make an image of your current system and go for it. If it works, it really is an improvement. The page filing improvement alone is worth it, for latency and, something not brought up here but I pulled out of my peanut brain, SSD life. It seems to me, any reduction in writing to SSDs will increase their life. No?

Also, with Pro, the update improvements. But that's only based on posts here as I let mine update at will. Even after it killed my one piece of hardware (which wasn't music related.)

Professionals? I'm not qualified or presumptuous enough to make any recommendation.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukki1 View Post
Will there be any advantages with Win 10 Pro For Workstations if speaking about music production?

https://blogs.windows.com/business/2...-workstations/
It's possible, but TBD at the moment.

I'm looking into if there's anything here that musicians typically care about beyond the ability to run renderfarm-class hardware.

I don't know if, for example, there are any fundamental changes to the level of configurability one has in this vs. Home, Pro, and Enterprise.

I'll keep you all up to date as we release more information.

Pete
Old 1 week ago
mfx
Lives for gear

Question re new system and current OS.

My upgrade path was from Windows 7Pro to 8Pro and now to 10 all gratis. The original Win 7Pro was a full non oem version, have keys for all.

Can the existing Win10Pro be deregistered on my current rig and register on the new?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx View Post
Question re new system and current OS.

My upgrade path was from Windows 7Pro to 8Pro and now to 10 all gratis. The original Win 7Pro was a full non oem version, have keys for all.

Can the existing Win10Pro be deregistered on my current rig and register on the new?
If all non-OEM licenses in the chain, there should be no issue. One of the advantages of the retail license is that you can move it from one machine to the next.

Sometimes, a high number of activations will trigger a rejection during activation. If that happens, a phone call will fix it. This hasn't happened to me in years, though.

Pete
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
If all non-OEM licenses in the chain, there should be no issue. One of the advantages of the retail license is that you can move it from one machine to the next.

Sometimes, a high number of activations will trigger a rejection during activation. If that happens, a phone call will fix it. This hasn't happened to me in years, though.

Pete
If I replace the C drive in my Windows 7 pro OEM machine, will I need to
install a new windows OS 7 ?
Not planning to do that yet, but was just wonderin'.
Thanks
"Bud"
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker41 View Post
If I replace the C drive in my Windows 7 pro OEM machine, will I need to
install a new windows OS 7 ?
Not planning to do that yet, but was just wonderin'.
Thanks
"Bud"

Steps (third-party site):

I haven't gone through those steps myself. Here are some steps from a third-party site:
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/tra...icense-new-pc/

More information:

Here's a third-party post on the MS forums covering upgrades.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-45f4b7ed2fb9

And also how to still get the free upgrade (again, not something I've tried myself) in case there's any issue due to being outside the free upgrade timeframe.
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/dow...ndows-10-free/

For folks who bought Windows 10 retail, the process is much simpler: Your best bet is to use the digital license feature:
https://www.groovypost.com/how-to-us...date-licenses/

Pete
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Anyone using Dante Via on a win 10 creator 1703 machine? I'm getting nothing but issues after upgrading to 1703 with dante via. Basically it keeps dropping the service even though it shows its still running. Worked fine before the upgrade. I've tried re installs, re boots, ect. Even though I have admin rights, when trying to restart the service, I get an error stating I might not have admin privilege to stop the service halfway through it restarting. Ending the service through taskman stops the service. Anyhoo, support through Audinate hasn't come up with anything, just getting me to do things I already tried....
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Doesn't look like too many around here use dante, but just in case I found out what my issue is. If you use a touchscreen on the system with dante via installed, as per support:

The latest .net version (v4.7 i believe) installed automatically by windows update introduces a bug whereby anything created in visual studio stops working if you have a pc with touch or pen input. This seems to affect both dvs and via as well as a bunch of our apps.

The workaround until Microsoft gets to fixing it is to enter windows update, scroll down the list if updates and uninstall the one that brought .net up to v4.7.

Then everything works again.

Pete, do you know anything about this latest bug?
Old 7 hours ago
Here for the gear

Hm, after experiencing random latency peaks in latencymon with Windows 10 which kept bugging me and for which I couldn't find any solution, I went back to Windows 7 with my x99 hardware. What can I say, I have perfect results again without even tuning much. I guess I'll sit this one out until extended support for Windows 7 ends in 2020. Maybe Microsoft comes up not noly with a Windows for Workstations, but also a Windows for Realtime until then
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search