The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?
Old 2nd December 2020
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I’m using the Quadravox as a pitch changer. Any thoughts about how stacks up to something like Melodyne? I basically am working in cents for a flat horn or getting a harmonica to sit right. Not really vocals...
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
I’m using the Quadravox as a pitch changer. Any thoughts about how stacks up to something like Melodyne? I basically am working in cents for a flat horn or getting a harmonica to sit right. Not really vocals...
Unless you need the extra notes I'd use 3000 Factory instead. More character than Melodyne if that's what you're after.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmindbeginner View Post
When registering Drumazon, they give “Frontiers” as a freebie... I’m pretty sure it’s free without a purchase but I’m not 100% sure.
Anyone know if that is a limited time freebie?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyscode View Post
I think you always get Frontiers for free when registering, got that also a quite a while back.

Drumazone as free add on from PB was very nice, indeed.
And here is my answer. Thanks.
Old 3rd December 2020
trg
Gear Addict
The 9000J is up for $99 - not bad, considering it was $149 at introduction, which made it $74 with my voucher.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trg View Post
The 9000J is up for $99 - not bad, considering it was $149 at introduction, which made it $74 with my voucher.
I knew this was gonna happen after BF deals but i expected the price to be lower. But the G is real cheap...
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Have we got vouchers available? I thought they didn’t give them out in December?

Edit: I see you were talking about when it was introduced and using your voucher...

Last edited by GBP; 3rd December 2020 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: Realisation
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheVerra View Post
I knew this was gonna happen after BF deals but i expected the price to be lower. But the G is real cheap...
On that reasoning you could argue that the E is expensive now as you could of had it for $29 3 days ago as well as the G at $29.

J should’ve been less :(
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
as a user of both (Melodyne Studio), Quadravox, like similar effects e.g. Soundtoys Alterboy or H3000 is a musically creative live effect and Melodyne is a post production tool with possibilites (e.g. microtiming, attack, slide) that go way beyond Quadravox.

Quadravox is used when you want the effect to be heard, Melodyne if you don't (of course you can go fully creative with Melodyne, too).

E.g. for retuning/ correcting individual notes / chords Melodyne is the better tool. In Melodyne you just open up the recording, drag the notes around and be done.

Quadravox is not made for that, as it generates it's shifting / harmonies live from the audio input. So correcting single Notes within a musical recording can be quite complicated to achieve, as you have to feed it audio snippets or ride the ON/OFF-automation on the DAW.
For processing whole monophonic phrases, Quadravox will work great and quick, though.

It really depends on how surgical you need to get.

BTW: the bigger version Octavox has MIDI-input where you play the shift/ harmonies live with a keyboard.

my 2 cents.

hope this helps a bit
Lives for gear

AMEK200 for 200 bucks now.

M U C H too expensive still. BigFrEQ was for 120 now and it's an awesome EQ. What's wrong with PA?

Are plugins, literally no one actually needs in addition to all the great ones out there already, more wanted or needed if they are offered for horrendous exaggerated prices?

PA isn't Softube.

Softube can afford to do so. They go mad with their prices also. BUT, especially for the Weiss stuff, they can, as there isn't anything around which equals that in plugin land.

PAs price and BS offers strategy only achieved one thing for me. Make me quit the yearly subscription. I have enough of such manners. Don't want to support them any more except for the individual SLR and Neold stuff cause those guys behind these brands are really worth the support imo.

Although I can understand from small devs perspective they publish via PA, which makes live easier for them...I think that doesn't fit at all and I wish I could support them directly.

Same reasons here for quitting everything from Wave over a year ago. Tried hard to de- install everything but the installers and programs are so annoying as Wave itself. It seems to be impossible to delete everything. It's not working, even by hand. And the regular deinstallers are commented errors. The final additional last reason to abandon those morons forever. They and PA could be sisters.

Rant over
Lives for gear

No new post within the last 5 minutes? Is this thread broken? LOL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
They are pretty careful to offer a sale only when there are no vouchers.

I bought at $74 because the last "sale" made it more expensive.

It will eventually go $50. I personally decided it was worth $24 to not have to monitor every PA sale.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
$200 for the Amek is what the price should have been to begin with. Anybody know what was Dirk's reasoning for that stupidity especially in this time of nobody really making any money?
The amek eq was intended to be subscription only but they messed up the wording of some email (I believe they implied people could use their vouchers towards purchasing any of the new/upcoming plugins). So when it was announced that the amek was going to be subscription only, people noticed and complained that the previous email had lied to them. PA conceded their mistake and announced that the amek would no longer be subscription only but to compensate they priced it ridiculously high to essentially maintain it’s subscription only status. It was not stupidity or a faulty evaluation of it’s worth with the belief that many people would find this a reasonable price they were willing to pay for it. It was the opposite. It was intentionally overpriced to prevent most people from being willing to pay for it and thus making the subscribers feel as though they have something special, pricey, and exclusive that few others actually have access to. It was priced to keep subscribers subscribed and perhaps increase subscription sales. I’m surprised there was any kind of offer on it at all this year to be honest.
Old 3rd December 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post

M U C H too expensive still. BigFrEQ was for 120 now and it's an awesome EQ. What's wrong with PA?
….weren’t you just complaining the other day about how you bought KH Comp1 for like $140 only to see it reduced by more than $100 less than a year later? Pretty sure I saw you all upset saying how it was a slap in the face for customers who paid full price and it’s another brand you are now done with or whatever… Can you not imagine how it would feel for someone who paid $250 for the amek eq to see it selling for over $100 less than what they paid less than a year later?

Quote:
Are plugins, literally no one actually needs in addition to all the great ones out there already, more wanted or needed if they are offered for horrendous exaggerated prices?

PA isn't Softube.

Softube can afford to do so. They go mad with their prices also. BUT, especially for the Weiss stuff, they can, as there isn't anything around which equals that in plugin land.
I think PA can afford to too. They’re doing just fine. And whilst I haven’t tried it out myself you only have to go back a single page in this thread to find someone who claims the quality of this eq makes the price tag worth it for them, even if you personally disagree. Pretty sure if Softube regularly sold plugins at 90% off there’d be as many complaints about the Weiss stuff as the amek eq or the 9000J.

Also if it’s a plugin “literally no one actually needs” why are you so annoyed that you need to rant about it? It’s already not for you and you already know you don’t need it… why are you all upset that it's overpriced if you were never going to buy it?

Personally I think it is more than reasonable that PA has a small handful of products that for a year or so are exclusively available to those willing to pay premium prices before they eventually offer them out to the deal loving cheapskates like myself. I might be cheap but I am patient and I’m not going to get on the internet and whine “but daddy, I want it nowwwww” about the products that are currently out of my price range. I have plenty of plugins to play with that were in my price range and that I enjoy working with already.

Rant over
TJe
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethstate View Post
The amek eq was intended to be subscription only but they messed up the wording of some email (I believe they implied people could use their vouchers towards purchasing any of the new/upcoming plugins). So when it was announced that the amek was going to be subscription only, people noticed and complained that the previous email had lied to them. PA conceded their mistake and announced that the amek would no longer be subscription only but to compensate they priced it ridiculously high to essentially maintain it’s subscription only status. It was not stupidity or a faulty evaluation of it’s worth with the belief that many people would find this a reasonable price they were willing to pay for it. It was the opposite. It was intentionally overpriced to prevent most people from being willing to pay for it and thus making the subscribers feel as though they have something special, pricey, and exclusive that few others actually have access to. It was priced to keep subscribers subscribed and perhaps increase subscription sales. I’m surprised there was any kind of offer on it at all this year to be honest.
In these conditions,I will never buy this Amek EQ.Many offers,good quality EQs from the other developers.
F*ck subscriptions.
Old 3rd December 2020
Gear Maniac

Eventide Generate For $40 at Best Service: https://www.bestservice.com/generate.html

Seems to be an error so jump on it if you can/want this synth. Note: unconventional oscillators on this synth not standard VA, FM etc.

EDIT; GS thread here: Newfangled Audio's Generate
Lives for gear

Quote:
….weren’t you just complaining the other day about how you bought KH Comp1 for like $140 only to see it reduced by more than $100 less than a year later? Pretty sure I saw you all upset saying how it was a slap in the face for customers who paid full price and it’s another brand you are now done with or whatever… Can you not imagine how it would feel for someone who paid $250 for the amek eq to see it selling for over $100 less than what they paid less than a year later?

I think PA can afford to too. They’re doing just fine. And whilst I haven’t tried it out myself you only have to go back a single page in this thread to find someone who claims the quality of this eq makes the price tag worth it for them, even if you personally disagree. Pretty sure if Softube regularly sold plugins at 90% off there’d be as many complaints about the Weiss stuff as the amek eq or the 9000J.

Also if it’s a plugin “literally no one actually needs” why are you so annoyed that you need to rant about it? It’s already not for you and you already know you don’t need it… why are you all upset that it's overpriced if you were never going to buy it?

Personally I think it is more than reasonable that PA has a small handful of products that for a year or so are exclusively available to those willing to pay premium prices before they eventually offer them out to the deal loving cheapskates like myself. I might be cheap but I am patient and I’m not going to get on the internet and whine “but daddy, I want it nowwwww” about the products that are currently out of my price range. I have plenty of plugins to play with that were in my price range and that I enjoy working with already.

Rant over
Ah. Thread working again as it should.

Not out of financial reach. Too expensive. For 200 you get better stuff. I'm not even sure if I'd buy for 50.

I don't think anyone would complain about any Softube plugin sold for less. Softube is spending money and having the state of mind, spent it to have a unique keeper.

Spending money for PA is having the feeling always paying for something which will be just more of the same and obsolete soon enough. I'm not talking about getting the Neold for 25 or the consoles for 50 each. Or the Lindell stuff.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJe View Post
F*ck subscriptions.

Hey hey hey!!! My wife is called Subscription
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

PA isn't Softube.

PAs price and BS offers strategy only achieved one thing for me. Make me quit the yearly subscription. I have enough of such manners. Don't want to support them any more except for the individual SLR and Neold stuff cause those guys behind these brands are really worth the support imo.

Although I can understand from small devs perspective they publish via PA, which makes live easier for them...I think that doesn't fit at all and I wish I could support them directly.

Same reasons here for quitting everything from Wave over a year ago. Tried hard to de- install everything but the installers and programs are so annoying as Wave itself. It seems to be impossible to delete everything. It's not working, even by hand. And the regular deinstallers are commented errors. The final additional last reason to abandon those morons forever. They and PA could be sisters.

Rant over
Softube is mega annoying also. Why would I have to register a Console 1 with iLok in order to use it with UAD, makes zero sense (other than Softube being greedy for transfer fees).

Regarding their quality, they have products of questionable quality in their catalogue also such as the Amp Room bundle and that annoying UAD Vocoder which cannot even adjust the LFO frequency or use an external carrier.

And while the Weiss EQ is great, it's some older algorithm which is less work to port than what PA did for the AMEK 200. Basically you pay for the branding. It's surely not the only good sounding digital EQ on the market and if you don't have it no one will reject your mix saying: "Mate, you didn't use the Weiss EQ, your mix is worthless".
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Softube is mega annoying also. Why would I have to register a Console 1 with iLok in order to use it with UAD, makes zero sense (other than Softube being greedy for transfer fees).

Regarding their quality, they have products of questionable quality in their catalogue also such as the Amp Room bundle and that annoying UAD Vocoder which cannot even adjust the LFO frequency or use an external carrier.

And while the Weiss EQ is great, it's some older algorithm which is less work to port than what PA did for the AMEK 200. Basically you pay for the branding. It's surely not the only good sounding digital EQ on the market and if you don't have it no one will reject your mix saying: "Mate, you didn't use the Weiss EQ, your mix is worthless".
To a certain degree all the big players are bloated and annoying.

Nice saying with the Weiss
Gear Head

Quote:
Ah. Thread working again as it should.

Not out of financial reach. Too expensive. For 200 you get better stuff. I'm not even sure if I'd buy for 50.

I don't think anyone would complain about any Softube plugin sold for less. Softube is spending money and having the state of mind, spent it to have a unique keeper.

Spending money for PA is having the feeling always paying for something which will be just more of the same and obsolete soon enough. I'm not talking about getting the Neold for 25 or the consoles for 50 each. Or the Lindell stuff.
Yeah I probably wouldn’t buy the Amek for $50 either so I have absolutely no reason to complain about it or the price that it is.

I disagree entirely in your assessment of the quality of PA plugins. I first heard the elysia alpha compressor about 7 years ago and I think it sounds exactly as impressive as it did back then. Still very hard to compete with, even today amongst all the quality mastering compressors released since then and still an absolute classic that I use regularly. Same with the bx digital, I still love it as much as I did V2 back in 2013 or something (although I concede it could do with some updates and optimisation). Honestly I think the quality of almost all the PA stuff I have is fantastic and I can see myself happily using them for years to come. If I felt like the quality wasn’t great or that it’d be quickly obsolete or that I’d regret my purchase, I just wouldn’t purchase in the first place.

What I’ve tried of Softube really hasn’t impressed me personally ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (although I’m sure they have some good stuff I haven’t yet tried).
Old 3rd December 2020
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
FWIW Newfangled Saturate is pretty amazing....not sure if still on sale.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I probably wouldn’t buy the Amek for $50 either so I have absolutely no reason to complain about it or the price that it is.

I disagree entirely in your assessment of the quality of PA plugins. I first heard the elysia alpha compressor about 7 years ago and I think it sounds exactly as impressive as it did back then. Still very hard to compete with, even today amongst all the quality mastering compressors released since then and still an absolute classic that I use regularly. Same with the bx digital, I still love it as much as I did V2 back in 2013 or something (although I concede it could do with some updates and optimisation). Honestly I think the quality of almost all the PA stuff I have is fantastic and I can see myself happily using them for years to come. If I felt like the quality wasn’t great or that it’d be quickly obsolete or that I’d regret my purchase, I just wouldn’t purchase in the first place.

What I’ve tried of Softube really hasn’t impressed me personally ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (although I’m sure they have some good stuff I haven’t yet tried).
They have some very good stuff. For example all where Raimund was involved. I think he also was involved in some Elysia stuff for sure and The Opticom and some consoles.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation and now that you mention it the whole thing sounds familiar. And this explanation takes the Amek off my want-to-buy list.
Lives for gear

Best service Eventide Generate for 39 bucks...clearly priced wrong ...few places have corrected the error....be quick...I got it for 39 bucks...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider View Post
Best service Eventide Generate for 39 bucks...clearly priced wrong ...few places have corrected the error....be quick...I got it for 39 bucks...
Ah damn, I was keen on this little noise machine...it´s 99 again
Thanks for posting nevertheless.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah damn, I was keen on this little noise machine...it´s 99 again
Thanks for posting nevertheless.
Shame...
Old 3rd December 2020
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Speaking of cheap synths, any of you synth nuts should look at PPG Wave 3.V on sale for $30 at Audio Plugin Deals (no that's their real name.) Might have already come up in this thread.

I think it's a pretty special instrument, with a heritage that goes way back to the thing that cost more than a car at the time.

Spent some time and had to learn it a bit, it's a monster. Not really a click and bash preset thing at all, to me, something you want to get into. As rare as it may be with plugins I think it has some soul to it.
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
I can't remember if it was Scheps or Mick G that I saw do it, but I follow Elevate with Pro-L on the 2 bus
Can confirm: Elevate into Pro L in series is a big fat righteous sound. I might even try to do away with bus compressors and just use the two limiters. Also this seems to get louder with fewer artifacts than either single limiter would do, if anyone is chasing those loudness war levels.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathirio View Post
Hey hey hey!!! My wife is called Subscription
📝 Reply