The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 1833845 View Post
So...anyone have any problems with their Eventide Anthology upgrade yet? Still waiting on that email myself.
Have you checked your Spam bucket?
What email are you waiting on anyways? If it's the email with the activation code and s/n got that within 15 minutes of purchase.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You're logged in to your account right? After you selected your plugin(s) did you click the 'download and install' button at the lower left of the manager?
Thanks for replying. Yes, I am logged in. The issue is when I select plugins, they do not appear in the right side panes. So, the download & install button is not enabled.

I will contact support.
Deleted 1833845
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Have you checked your Spam bucket?
What email are you waiting on anyways? If it's the email with the activation code and s/n got that within 15 minutes of purchase.
No I'm talking about the "we're taking it away from you" email that people were nervous about Remember? "I'm going to wait to activate just in case...."
Gear Maniac

Quote:
No I'm talking about the "we're taking it away from you" email that people were nervous about Remember? "I'm going to wait to activate just in case...."
I've have received no notifications and the licence is still on my account. Conceivably it could be a month or so or more before any action is taken so who knows?

I can't imagine your original licences would not be returned if the anthology licence is revoked.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
... I believe that R4 has more modulation etc. I hope you spent the time to dig in, try all the presets, and get in and manipulate the settings.
Having spent some more time with R4 and especially looking over the presets I'm left wondering ... why are all the presets large spaces?

Are they trying to tell us it's not intended for small space reverb?

I'm still undecided. Demo runs out tomorrow. Sale is on until January but once the demo runs out that's the decision made - If I don't know by then I want it then it's not happening.

I couldn't resist still comparing it to Pro-R. Pro-R by default is more "airy" (some might call this thin.) That is, mids aren't as emphasised as they seem to be in R4 (or perhaps highs are emphasised more.) But it wasn't difficult to get a similar sound by using Pro-Rs eq to pull down some of the highs. For a lot of stuff I like that airy sound but by trying to get it to sound more like R4 I found that certain aspects of the output became less glassy, more warm, so I'll be paying closer attention to the eq in future. It's not what I'd always want but it's something to listen for.

I may post a comparison later, see if anyone can pick out which is which, but more importantly see if either stands out to anyone as distinctly preferable. Not that it will make up my mind for me but it could be interesting.
Old 30th November 2020
Gear Addict

I resisted buying the Neural DSP stuff. I realised that I wanted it because I've been telling myself for a long time I should have some guitar/bass amps even though I don't own a guitar/bass (I do have some decent sample based instruments.) But ... even though I found I got sounds from them that were different to anything else I have - I tried and failed to get anything close to the bass amp sound, and I thought "this sounds so much better than the un-amped bass samples" - I've never been unhappy with the sound I get from my synths with the help of currently owned saturation plugins (and even clean.) Since I mostly use synths and only occasionally "real" instrument sounds, it was clear I was aiming to spend around £100 because I could, and not because I needed what I would be buying.

Maybe next year.
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Decided to get the Bundle of Seventh Heaven Pro; Lustrous Plates and Illusion for £139 using my vouchers. (All ready had Cinematic Rooms Pro). Then I used those vouchers to get Reverberate 3 for £7. I am a Reverb slut lol.
You might want to upgrade/crossgrade anthology with sp2016 reverb to add to your list if you don’t have it.

Currently $29 rather than sale price $79 if you have anthology or 2016 Stereo room.

Just snapped it up to add to their very favourable deal. Many thanks, I have just added around 8 verbs in half as many weeks !
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange loop View Post
I resisted buying the Neural DSP stuff. I realised that I wanted it because I've been telling myself for a long time I should have some guitar/bass amps even though I don't own a guitar/bass (I do have some decent sample based instruments.) But ... even though I found I got sounds from them that were different to anything else I have - I tried and failed to get anything close to the bass amp sound, and I thought "this sounds so much better than the un-amped bass samples" - I've never been unhappy with the sound I get from my synths with the help of currently owned saturation plugins (and even clean.) Since I mostly use synths and only occasionally "real" instrument sounds, it was clear I was aiming to spend around £100 because I could, and not because I needed what I would be buying.

Maybe next year.
I think that's wise. Saturn 2 is a good investment IMO as a workhorse, that could easily fill in on amp duties as well as a tonne of other things. Worth the investment if you don't already have it IMO (you probably do but you should have a discount on their store ATM if you don't).

Also don't forget Trash 2 is still good and can be had very cheap all year round and I expect a version 3 will be done sometime soon so it would be a good investment to secure an upgrade price down the line.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP View Post
You might want to upgrade/crossgrade anthology with sp2016 reverb to add to your list if you don’t have it.

Currently $29 rather than sale price $79 if you have anthology or 2016 Stereo room.

Just snapped it up to add to their very favourable deal. Many thanks, I have just added around 8 verbs in half as many weeks !
Oh man I'm gonna feel so guilty crossgrading to this... Oh well!

I held off on this for years at $80 but always wanted it, did not know there was a crossgrade there. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 30th November 2020
Lives for gear

The new CLA Epic with 4 verbs and 4 delays is intro for 24 hours(cyber Monday) for 30 USD:https://www.waves.com/plugins/cla-epic

It's not super deep, but might be useful at that price
Gear Nut

Let me start by apologizing for this long winded post. I need some help here as I'm suffering from quite a bit of information overload. So I'm new to mixing and I really want to spend the next year learning as much as possible with the goal of releasing a self produced project by the end of the year. I want to make do with what I have and really learn to use the tools that I have at my disposal so im not buying any other plugs for months. Do you guys notice any glaring holes in my toolkit at the moment. I got most of these in the last week so haven't had much time to try them out to get a feel for what i might be lacking. I'm debating between using the last PA 29$ voucher or possible getting the Black Rooster Audio Bundle just because it seems like incredible value and would also give me a nice tape plugin. I'm fine on the FX side mainly concentrated on getting quality mixes and I'm just not clear on what fundamentals I need. Clippers, Limiters, metering?

I seem to have convinced myself that I should definitely grab either bx_digitalV3 or the Shadow Hill Class A since the price is so low and they constantly come up during my researches. Maybe Metric AB so i can really focus on referencing tracks? If you were to start from scratch and someone gave you these plugins to work with, what would you feel is seriously missing?

I have Ableton live 10 Standard (so the standard plugins)

TDR SlickEQ free
TDR Nova Free
TDR Molotok Free
TDR Kotelnikov Free

Sonimus SonEQ free
Softube Saturation knob free

Soundtoys Effect Rack

Eventide Anthology XI bundle thanks to this thread!

PA 6 free plugins
Bx_Townhouse
Bx_Console SSL 4000 E channel strip

Luftikus EQ (free version of Maag EQ4)
ChowTape free plugin
Waves DBX160
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I would look at:
PA DSM 3!!, great to match your mixdown to reference tracks. (See thread here)
Mastering the Mix Reference, same function, look at videos, easy A/B loudness compensated switching
Gullfoss, Soothe or Smart:Comp
BOZ Big clipper, very loud and clear
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahlad View Post
I would look at:
PA DSM 3!!, great to match your mixdown to reference tracks. (See thread here)
Mastering the Mix Reference, same function, look at videos, easy A/B loudness compensated switching
Gullfoss, Soothe or Smart:Comp
BOZ Big clipper, very loud and clear
Thanks for the suggestions! I've looked at Soothe but its just too expensive for me at the moment. So from what I gather all 3 do various things but use AI to clean up mixes. As a beginner that seems like it can easily become a crutch to the whole learning process.. to consider.

Ill check the others. So would a transparent clipper be able to pull double duties and replace a limiter? I've seen Veen free clip being suggested quite a bit. I think I'll grab that until I can get a good grasp of why and when I would use one.

Here's a link in case your not familiar:

https://www.vennaudio.com/free-clip/
Old 1st December 2020
Gear Addict

I'm not sure I'd say much if anything is missing. Others will give you a long list of "must have" plugins. It's all very personal.

What I'd warn you against is taking too many suggestions for things you must have or should have, or thinking too much that you don't have what you need. I wasted a lot of money early on. Some of what I bought I could sell (though in some cases what I got back was barely enough to make it worth the effort of selling.) Some sits gathering virtual dust.

Maybe step back a bit, spend a month or two with what you have, and then see if you can identify gaps yourself.

I don't think you need another EQ. You've got two good free ones from TDR as well as Live EQ8. Compressors, also. Kotelnikov + Molotok + The Glue (should be in Live Standard) give you a good range.

Maybe a nice limiter. I think they're best used sparingly, to shave off stray peaks rather than make things loud ("radio friendly" loudness is an anti-goal for me.) Live's one is okay for that but there's better available.

There are saturators I'd recommend over Decapitator. But to say you need them? Questionable.

I don't know the reverbs in Anthology (except Blackhole, which I don't like but many love.) I don't rate the Live reverb as great but it's usable. If you are going to use it be sure to set it on high quality mode.
Old 1st December 2020
Gear Addict

R4 demo ended at least 7 hours earlier than my iLok manager says it should (though I don't know what time zone it's using I assume it's using mine. If it were iZotope's then it's even more than 7 hours early.) So, not going to be able to post the comparison files I was planning to export. And decision made on buying, I guess. Next time it's on sale I'll ask if they can give me another demo period.
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritsGroove View Post
Let me start by apologizing for this long winded post. I need some help here as I'm suffering from quite a bit of information overload. So I'm new to mixing and I really want to spend the next year learning as much as possible with the goal of releasing a self produced project by the end of the year. I want to make do with what I have and really learn to use the tools that I have at my disposal so im not buying any other plugs for months. Do you guys notice any glaring holes in my toolkit at the moment. I got most of these in the last week so haven't had much time to try them out to get a feel for what i might be lacking. I'm debating between using the last PA 29$ voucher or possible getting the Black Rooster Audio Bundle just because it seems like incredible value and would also give me a nice tape plugin. I'm fine on the FX side mainly concentrated on getting quality mixes and I'm just not clear on what fundamentals I need. Clippers, Limiters, metering?

I seem to have convinced myself that I should definitely grab either bx_digitalV3 or the Shadow Hill Class A since the price is so low and they constantly come up during my researches. Maybe Metric AB so i can really focus on referencing tracks? If you were to start from scratch and someone gave you these plugins to work with, what would you feel is seriously missing?

I have Ableton live 10 Standard (so the standard plugins)

TDR SlickEQ free
TDR Nova Free
TDR Molotok Free
TDR Kotelnikov Free

Sonimus SonEQ free

Soundtoys Effect Rack

PA 6 free plugins
Bx_Townhouse

ChowTape free plugin
Waves DBX160
Lots of specials here but for you I would recommend this:https://www.izotope.com/en/shop/izot...ay-bundle.html for 49USD
Lives for gear

Quote:
Let me start by apologizing for this long winded post. I need some help here as I'm suffering from quite a bit of information overload. So I'm new to mixing and I really want to spend the next year learning as ...
double sorry wont let me delete
Gear Maniac

Quote:
TDR SlickEQ free
TDR Nova Free
TDR Molotok Free
TDR Kotelnikov Free

Sonimus SonEQ free

Soundtoys Effect Rack

PA 6 free plugins
Bx_Townhouse

ChowTape free plugin
Waves DBX160
You will need a workhorse transparent 3rd party EQ. Crave EQ doesn't go on sale so get that when you can, it's good value.

Recommending a good workhorse compressor is difficult so take this recommendation lightly. Sonible smart:comp. It is showing up @ $42 for me at JRR shop when checked out: https://www.jrrshop.com/sonible-smar...pressor-plugin

At that price if you can cover it I would go for it. Don't buy another compressor until you know it inside out. I really mean that.

Also if I were you I would look at izotope Neutron elements. It's usually $30, sometimes you can snag it for free throughout the year.

Metric AB is the best in class at what it does but right now you won't know what to do with it. It will go on sale throughout the year for $30-$40 so either get it now to be sure of the lowest price or wait for it to come up again.

If you're gonna get a limiter I would go for Voxengo Elephant but IMO it's not essential right now. It's $75 on sale now. Most decent limiters are gonna be around this price point on sale. Again I would skip it for now.

EDIT; Modualation and Reverb are obviously covered. I wouldn't worry about any saturation type things right now tbh. Just a note plugins are really good these days, like all of them! Paying to improve or get a new toy is not worth it early on or ever but this is Gearslutz and members here have certain issues so always remember that and avoid the hype machine.

Last edited by Constant_K; 1st December 2020 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: clarity
Here for the gear

Quote:

Hi GBP,

I was wondering how did you get to or where can someone get to $29 crossgrade price for SP2016. I do own the Anthology but my price is 149 on Eventide's website. Plugin Boutique offers it for $79 but I can't find a crossgrade option. Thank you.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agny Music View Post
Hi GBP,

I was wondering how did you get to or where can someone get to $29 crossgrade price for SP2016. I do own the Anthology but my price is 149 on Eventide's website. Plugin Boutique offers it for $79 but I can't find a crossgrade option. Thank you.
Hi GBP,

please ignore my question. I see that Eventide updated their website and I can get it for $29 now. Thank you!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm fine on the FX side mainly concentrated on getting quality mixes and I'm just not clear on what fundamentals I need. Clippers, Limiters, metering?

In order of preference:

IRON - Instead of Shadow hills class A. thank me later. Iron keeps low end spectrum massive!
SIR StandartClip - for clipper (Later, when money allows get AA Diamond Lift. great combo)
Weiss MM-1 - pretty unique sounding
Metric AB - is good, lots of options. A/B and metering covered.
Oxford Envolution - for transient/sustain work
BlackBox HG2 - for saturation
DMG Limitless

After that list (which will teach you how to listen and use dynamic processors) go for
Gullfoss and Soothe and dearVR MONITOR (if you`ll work in headphones)
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
R4 demo ended at least 7 hours earlier than my iLok manager says it should (though I don't know what time zone it's using I assume it's using mine. If it were iZotope's then it's even more than 7 hours early.) So, not going to be able to post the comparison files I was planning to export. And decision made on buying, I guess. Next time it's on sale I'll ask if they can give me another demo period.
Not sure what verbs you have but this is a quality one and at £24 is a complete bargain and you get an added freebie choice at plugin boutique....I paid around £150 4 years ago as an NFR upgrade to Nimbus. Loads of tweak ability and good sound for that more classic lexicon style. Very highly thought of in many circles...
But then I am a reverb junkie...
Lives for gear

Quote:

Just done it - cheers for the heads up.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Go get the PastToFuture everything bundle for $99 before it’s too late! Be forewarned it has a lot of misc non reverb IRs and a lot of odd Kontakt instruments, too.
Cheers for the info - I'll take a look at their website.
Gear Nut

Quote:
What I'd warn you against is taking too many suggestions for things you must have or should have, or thinking too much that you don't have what you need. I wasted a lot of money early on. Some of what I bought I could sell (though in some cases what I got back was barely enough to make it worth the effort of selling.) Some sits gathering virtual dust.

Maybe step back a bit, spend a month or two with what you have, and then see if you can identify gaps yourself.
This is pretty much my mind set at the moment. I figured I would do a quick last minute check so I don't leave anything obvious off the table. I'm kind of hoping I'm all set as I've spent quite a bit in the last few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
Lots of specials here but for you I would recommend this:https://www.izotope.com/en/shop/izot...ay-bundle.html for 49USD
Is there a specific reason why that would be your recommendation? What important tool would I gain? Not being a d*ck here either I genuinely don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_K View Post
Also if I were you I would look at izotope Neutron elements. It's usually $30, sometimes you can snag it for free throughout the year.
Then at 49$ I would think the iZotope holiday bundle 64gtoboy suggested would be the way to go then.

The smart:comp is looking more and more like a great learning tool to really get a grasp of compression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_K View Post
Just a note plugins are really good these days, like all of them! Paying to improve or get a new toy is not worth it early on or ever but this is Gearslutz and members here have certain issues so always remember that and avoid the hype machine.

Don't worry I noticed that on my first day on here Still an awesome place and thank ya'll so much for the recommendations so far. I truly appreciate it!
Old 1st December 2020
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Black Rooster stuff is still on sale at least until the end of the day, there's some really good ones in there for "vintagey" kind of plugins. I just got the VLA-3A and the VEQ-1P (Pultec) and I'm very happy with both, the VLA-3A is pretty special so far, it can really pin things and still have some energy. There are a million companies that do these sorts of emulations but Black Rooster is just about as good as any of them as far as I can hear, and they are currently discounted steeply. It would be a good place to start. Not sure how long those prices will last.

Think I'm gonna buy Crave EQ tomorrow.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I activated and am going to use it. Not worried.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Not sure what verbs you have but this is a quality one and at £24 is a complete bargain and you get an added freebie choice at plugin boutique....I paid around £150 4 years ago as an NFR upgrade to Nimbus. Loads of tweak ability and good sound for that more classic lexicon style. Very highly thought of in many circles...
But then I am a reverb junkie...
I have Fabfilter Pro-R, NI Raum, Valhalla Supermassive. All have very different applications so I feel pretty well covered.

If R4 distinguished itself from Pro-R more I'd buy it. But while it's different it's not different enough, as far as I can tell. Unfortunately the demo has run out and I had things going on last week that prevented me spending as much time with it as I should have. But I keep coming back to: if I can get reasonably close with Pro-R with minimal effort, and I like how Pro-R sounds, how much better would it be if I spent the time truly getting to know Pro-R instead of buying another reverb that doesn't dramatically distinguish itself from one I already own?

The freebie is tempting, though the only one I'd possibly care about is Quadravox. The other 3 options I wouldn't use. And if I really want Quadravox I could buy something cheaper like Phoenixverb (which I must demo, might be I like it) at about 1/3 the price of R4.

In part this comes from realising that I have bought so many plugins over the last few years that I barely know any of them in any depth. And wanting/needing to spend money on hardware (my good headphones died recently after almost a decade of service, and I'd love one of the new Macs with the M1 chip. Plus an MPE enabled controller.)
Gear Addict

Quote:
Let me start by apologizing for this long winded post. I need some help here as I'm suffering from quite a bit of information overload.
Quote:
I'm not sure I'd say much if anything is missing. Others will give you a long list of "must have" plugins. It's all very personal.
i second strange loop's opinion. you actually already start having "same"/similar plugins.
you have the glue and you have the townhouse. (ssl bus)
you have several great EQ's (clean and colored) and live's EQ8 was overhauled by Cytomic for Live 10(or was it 9? cant remember). It only cramps (non OS) to keep its legacy behavior with old sessions but you can turn on OS and than it drops that behavior.

in my view, you already have workhorse plugin equipment (clean and colored compressors and eqs, very usable fx). maybe focus on things that would make a real difference depending what genre you work on.

heres a session Jimmy Douglass was working on. While the ableton project has all producer plugins loaded you can see what he actually adds or changes to an extent and maybe get additional inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovwOQOA1zcg

btw you could add also QRange from ljkb to your toolset (its also free). You get a Maat TheOrange "inspired" linear phase EQ. Not sure if he fixed the vst3 version for Live, but the vst2 worked without issues.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Then at 49$ I would think the iZotope holiday bundle 64gtoboy suggested would be the way to go then.
The only bad thing I would say about that bundle is that pretty much all of it (I'm almost certain it's all of it) has been available over the past year for free in one way or another.

However we don't know for certain that it will be this year and you would have to be paying pretty close attention to grab it all throughout the year if it is.

Apart from that caveat it is well worth the $50. Iris is one of my favorite soft synths (it's unconventional tho). Trash is still great and the reverbs are good (although you don't need them).

All the elements stuff is surprisingly feature rich, you are not getting the fancy stuff but you are getting very worthwhile tools, oh and a limiter!

Again it may be possible to get it all for free if you are patient but it is worth the $50 regardless.
📝 Reply