The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?
Old 26th November 2020
  #12481
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
For the PA sale I'm heavily considering the VSC 2 compressor as a replacement for The Glue. Does anyone else use it in this capacity?

I have Glue as part of Ableton, but I'm pretty done with that company after the latest update and going to switch to Logic or Studio One. Glue never goes on sale and here's VSC 2 sitting pretty at $29.

I remember testing it on a mix a while ago to see how close I could dial it in to a Glue I had on the master - nearly nulled. But I didn't test it much more than that.

VSC 2 good enough to replace the glue? I make EDM fwiw

EDIT: Nevermind, finally demoed Pulsar Mu. Game over. Holy balls.

Last edited by claudedefaren; 26th November 2020 at 06:07 AM..
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12482
Lives for gear
 
nichttuntun's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudedefaren View Post
I have 3 neural plugins - cali, Nolly, Cory. Absolutely love them.

And honestly I think my cheapo fender frontman 25r sounds and feels better than any of the neural plugins, but that's probably because there's no latency on it and I don't have to put on headphones to hear it. It also can't do marshall or Peavey sounds so there's that...

When I just wanna jam and have fun, I turn on the real amp, but when it comes to recording, neural all the way.
Totally like it, when people are so differentiated like you.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12483
Lives for gear
 
nichttuntun's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudedefaren View Post
For the PA sale I'm heavily considering the VSC 2 compressor as a replacement for The Glue. Does anyone else use it in this capacity?

I have Glue as part of Ableton, but I'm pretty done with that company after the latest update and going to switch to Logic or Studio One. Glue never goes on sale and here's VSC 2 sitting pretty at $29.

I remember testing it on a mix a while ago to see how close I could dial it in to a Glue I had on the master - nearly nulled. But I didn't test it much more than that.

VSC 2 good enough to replace the glue? I make EDM fwiw

EDIT: Nevermind, finally demoed Pulsar Mu. Game over. Holy balls.
As you wrote VSC2, I immediately thought about Pulsar MU. The VSC2 is relatively flat and lifeless in comparison to the MU.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12484
Lives for gear
 
nichttuntun's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
It matters because I don't but anything based on what someone uses. As a certified old fart I like to know where things come from and/or are based on. I go for certain sounds that I know certain amps can provide. It also matters to me because I've played through most of the commonly known amps out there and I look for that in s/w. I don't just pick an amp out of thin air but what a certain amp can give me.

For instance I know what an amp that uses EL34's in it's output stage will do versus what 6L6's or EL84's. Neural doesn't give that kind of info. Combine that with them designing for artists I've never heard of and well...

What I want to see in s/w is a really great Marshall Plexi emulation. IKMM's emu's suck donkey balls. Or a Magnatone emulation.
Interesting and understandable positions. I may have an "advantage" here as I approach sound always (trying to keep a beginner's mind upright) as a part in a context of a mix or from a perspective of a sound designer. I use what I like and pleases me, regardless on what it is based on, and than I sculpture it further in a mix context to fit and compliment.

Btw, what are you thinking of the Softube Marshall Plexi emulation?
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12485
Lives for gear
 
IM WHO YOU THINK's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
What's wrong with Ableton since the last upgrade?
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12486
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMusic1070 View Post
How did you manage to get it for $18?
It will be $29 on Black Friday, but I don't think it'll get lower than that. Did you have a personal voucher or take a survey or something?
TBH I can't remember, this was back in May, right? I don't know, whatever special sale or discount code or monthly voucher or combination thereof I managed to use at the time...
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12487
Gear Addict
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
What's wrong with Ableton since the last upgrade?
Some people are upset that Ableton has the audacity to charge for new features that they mistakenly believe should have been free updates to Live 10.

It comes in large part from not understanding that you pay for what the software is at the time of purchase and not what you want it to be. It's at the company's discretion to offer any additional features for free (bug fixes of course are reasonably expected to be free.) And probably also in part from lack of understanding what goes into software development and therefore the cost to the company creating the software.

I'm not saying that this describes the problem this person has since they were not explicit, but it accurately describes the problem as stated by many who have given their reasons.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I believe some of the smaller features (scale based piano roll, multi-midi-clip editing improvements) could be given to Live 10 users for free - though it would probably further anger the "how dare you charge for your work" cohort by cutting down the Live 11 exclusive features, so possibly a bad idea. But larger features like MPE support and comping and new devices justify an upgrade charge. Either way, I already preordered 11 because if I average the cost over the 3 years since Live 10 was released it's not expensive.

It's the same sort of sound and fury we heard about the Live 10 upgrade. You can't please everyone and some people will jump ship because you didn't cater specifically to them (an impossible task.) When Live 12 rolls around you can almost guarantee it will happen again.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12488
Gear Maniac
 
benoïde's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Just bought Schoeps Upmix. It will be useful to blend spot mics for my classical recordings.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12489
Lives for gear
 
64gtoboy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritsGroove View Post
While we're on this subject, I've been thinking of re-amping ITB Rhodes or wurly's with a good sim because I figure a dedicated plugin is probably much better than whatever option comes built into Kontakt. Is there a good affordable (not planning to become a guitarist any time soon) JC-120 or Fender Twin amp sim out there or would I roughly get the same results with a stock sim like the one that comes with Ableton? Ya'll have any experience doing this sort of thing?
I use amps and sims on modeled Hammonds and Wurli's, and just about any electric piano. Got that Deep Purple mojo.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12490
Lives for gear
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Interesting and understandable positions. I may have an "advantage" here as I approach sound always (trying to keep a beginner's mind upright) as a part in a context of a mix or from a perspective of a sound designer. I use what I like and pleases me, regardless on what it is based on, and than I sculpture it further in a mix context to fit and compliment.

Btw, what are you thinking of the Softube Marshall Plexi emulation?
It's actually quite good and a lot better than what IKMM tries to do with their Amplitube emulation of Marshalls.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12491
Lives for gear
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
I use amps and sims on modeled Hammonds and Wurli's, and just about any electric piano. Got that Deep Purple mojo.
Amen to that. I find that the Diezel Herbert from PA is a good amp for that.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12492
Lives for gear
 
IM WHO YOU THINK's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange loop View Post
Some people are upset that Ableton has the audacity to charge for new features that they mistakenly believe should have been free updates to Live 10.

It comes in large part from not understanding that you pay for what the software is at the time of purchase and not what you want it to be. It's at the company's discretion to offer any additional features for free (bug fixes of course are reasonably expected to be free.) And probably also in part from lack of understanding what goes into software development and therefore the cost to the company creating the software.

I'm not saying that this describes the problem this person has since they were not explicit, but it accurately describes the problem as stated by many who have given their reasons.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I believe some of the smaller features (scale based piano roll, multi-midi-clip editing improvements) could be given to Live 10 users for free - though it would probably further anger the "how dare you charge for your work" cohort by cutting down the Live 11 exclusive features, so possibly a bad idea. But larger features like MPE support and comping and new devices justify an upgrade charge. Either way, I already preordered 11 because if I average the cost over the 3 years since Live 10 was released it's not expensive.

It's the same sort of sound and fury we heard about the Live 10 upgrade. You can't please everyone and some people will jump ship because you didn't cater specifically to them (an impossible task.) When Live 12 rolls around you can almost guarantee it will happen again.
I'm probably going to miss the sales and buy Live 11 later next year. My ProTools support expires Christmas day. , so I understand not wanting to pay for bug fixes, but you're right, I bought in for the version that was current at the time of my purchase.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12493
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
 
18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudedefaren View Post
For the PA sale I'm heavily considering the VSC 2 compressor as a replacement for The Glue. Does anyone else use it in this capacity?

I have Glue as part of Ableton, but I'm pretty done with that company after the latest update and going to switch to Logic or Studio One. Glue never goes on sale and here's VSC 2 sitting pretty at $29.

I remember testing it on a mix a while ago to see how close I could dial it in to a Glue I had on the master - nearly nulled. But I didn't test it much more than that.

VSC 2 good enough to replace the glue? I make EDM fwiw

EDIT: Nevermind, finally demoed Pulsar Mu. Game over. Holy balls.
I love those Mu compressors. I have MJUC, Pulsar Mu, and the IK Dyna-Mu and I love all of them. They come out all the time now.

I'd like to add the UAD Manley at some point, just to compare.

To add to what someone said already, the VSC-2 is super clean, it's not really a vibey compressor. Closer to the glue, would be the Townhouse plugin, from PA. Worth a demo if you haven't tried it, it's pretty nice.
Old 26th November 2020
  #12494
Gear Maniac
 
jams3223's Avatar
 
i just bought plugin alliance shadow hills compressor guys, can't wait to put it on drums
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12495
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange loop View Post
Does anyone use amp sims for things they were not intended to amp? By this I mean: put synths or acoustic guitar recordings/samples or anything other than an electric guitar through them? I'm planning to demo the Cory Wong collection, downloaded today but was busy demoing other stuff. I don't know him but I listened to the demo video and I liked the sound. Usually I'm uninterested in amp sims but I do have Cytomic's Tube Screamer emulation and use it a lot on synths so this got me thinking. If I were to buy the CW collection it would definitely be for something other than its intended purpose.

I know that's probably sacrilege to some but so much good music has come from using things in ways they were never intended.
Deep Purple were putting all kinds of keys through guitar amps from the late '60s onwards.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12496
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
I use amps and sims on modeled Hammonds and Wurli's, and just about any electric piano. Got that Deep Purple mojo.
Lol, just seen this after posting.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12497
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I love those Mu compressors. I have MJUC, Pulsar Mu, and the IK Dyna-Mu and I love all of them. They come out all the time now.

I'd like to add the UAD Manley at some point, just to compare.

To add to what someone said already, the VSC-2 is super clean, it's not really a vibey compressor. Closer to the glue, would be the Townhouse plugin, from PA. Worth a demo if you haven't tried it, it's pretty nice.
Townhouse lives on my mixbus
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12498
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange loop View Post
Some people are upset that Ableton has the audacity to charge for new features that they mistakenly believe should have been free updates to Live 10.

It comes in large part from not understanding that you pay for what the software is at the time of purchase and not what you want it to be. It's at the company's discretion to offer any additional features for free (bug fixes of course are reasonably expected to be free.) And probably also in part from lack of understanding what goes into software development and therefore the cost to the company creating the software.

I'm not saying that this describes the problem this person has since they were not explicit, but it accurately describes the problem as stated by many who have given their reasons.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I believe some of the smaller features (scale based piano roll, multi-midi-clip editing improvements) could be given to Live 10 users for free - though it would probably further anger the "how dare you charge for your work" cohort by cutting down the Live 11 exclusive features, so possibly a bad idea. But larger features like MPE support and comping and new devices justify an upgrade charge. Either way, I already preordered 11 because if I average the cost over the 3 years since Live 10 was released it's not expensive.

It's the same sort of sound and fury we heard about the Live 10 upgrade. You can't please everyone and some people will jump ship because you didn't cater specifically to them (an impossible task.) When Live 12 rolls around you can almost guarantee it will happen again.
One of the biggest strawmans I've ever seen on the internet, kudos
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12499
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I love those Mu compressors. I have MJUC, Pulsar Mu, and the IK Dyna-Mu and I love all of them. They come out all the time now.

I'd like to add the UAD Manley at some point, just to compare.

To add to what someone said already, the VSC-2 is super clean, it's not really a vibey compressor. Closer to the glue, would be the Townhouse plugin, from PA. Worth a demo if you haven't tried it, it's pretty nice.
I do have that one! It's nice but I found it a little flubby and slow, better for most non-edm projects for my use (pop rock indie metal etc)
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12500
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I need a reverb recommendation for BF. Sonsig REV A or Seventh Heaven?
Old 26th November 2020
  #12501
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Am I the only one here who didn't get a Black Friday email from PA?
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12502
Lives for gear
 
easyrider's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaier View Post
Am I the only one here who didn't get a Black Friday email from PA?
I got one ....
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12503
Gear Addict
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudedefaren View Post
One of the biggest strawmans I've ever seen on the internet, kudos
No straw men were built in the making of my previous post.

It was based on actual observations of real people posting real comments about the release. Literally (in the non-figurative sense) saying "this should have been a free update."

Note that I very specifically said I don't know if this is your issue with them and was not intending to imply that it was (hence the specific disclaimer referring to you.)

If that wasn't clear enough, allow me to repeat: Despite this being an accurate depiction of the general attitude of many people to the release of Live 11, there is no evidence that it applies to the user currently known as claudedefaren.

Please feel free to answer the original question: what, in your opinion, is wrong with Ableton since the latest upgrade?
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12504
Lives for gear
 
Calagan's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
I need a reverb recommendation for BF. Sonsig REV A or Seventh Heaven?
What about reverberate 3 ?
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12505
Gear Nut
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jams3223 View Post
i just bought plugin alliance shadow hills compressor guys, can't wait to put it on drums
Is there a clear consensus on which version of the two is better?
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12506
Lives for gear
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritsGroove View Post
Is there a clear consensus on which version of the two is better?
Each version is good for different things; I use the class A for when I need something on my 2-bus that's grabbier in the optical section than the old version.
Old 26th November 2020
  #12507
Lives for gear
 
tempsperdu's Avatar
 
Softube have Valley People Dynamite going for 49 euros on their site atm
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12508
Lives for gear
 
mikeka's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
I need a reverb recommendation for BF. Sonsig REV A or Seventh Heaven?
I own both (Seventh Heaven Pro). Quite different. However, if I had to choose one it'd be Sonsig. Love that verb!
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #12509
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange loop View Post
No straw men were built in the making of my previous post.

It was based on actual observations of real people posting real comments about the release. Literally (in the non-figurative sense) saying "this should have been a free update."

Note that I very specifically said I don't know if this is your issue with them and was not intending to imply that it was (hence the specific disclaimer referring to you.)

If that wasn't clear enough, allow me to repeat: Despite this being an accurate depiction of the general attitude of many people to the release of Live 11, there is no evidence that it applies to the user currently known as claudedefaren.

Please feel free to answer the original question: what, in your opinion, is wrong with Ableton since the latest upgrade?
I know that you said you don't know if that's my specific issue, and you'll note that I very specifically didn't say that your strawman was made against me personally. Relax. You haven't offended me.

You have observed people making complaints, whittled the entire context of their posts to the singular phrase "this should have been a free update" and making up your own reasons for why they're arguing this, — "how dare you charge for your work" as you stated, which implies that these people believe software companies should not be paid for their work. Nobody ever said anything to the effect of "how dare Ableton charge for their work" and nobody ever said that they expect Ableton to give free upgrades, but you have stated it as such. That's the strawman.

I'm not interested in answering the person's question because there are way too many people who get triggered by the subject and try to start utterly pointless arguments about it, as you've just done.

I'm cool with you thinking Ableton has done nothing wrong. Can you be ok with me having a different opinion? The subject of my original post was not focused on Ableton, so there's no need to make a big deal of it.
Old 26th November 2020
  #12510
Lives for gear
 
mutetourettes's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Harrison are doing a bundle of all their ava plugs for $39. That’s a really good price folks!!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 90 views: 24487
Avatar for RogerFoote
RogerFoote 4th July 2019
replies: 761 views: 144829
Avatar for Jason rocks
Jason rocks 29th June 2016
replies: 1694 views: 202014
Avatar for machinated
machinated 2 weeks ago
replies: 102 views: 26771
Avatar for simon.billington
simon.billington 1 week ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump