The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?
Old 25th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagman18 View Post
Just new to Neural and didn't know that they were hooking up with Kazrog. Ohhh that will be good.. Yes, very exiting times right now..

I have spent all morning doing A/B between Gtr sims with PA Sgear and Neural.
The PA sims well just sound old now Not all but most.
The one that really let me down was the Friedman from PA.
That sounded nothing like the BE I used to have.. really disappointing..

The Sgear is still very good up to the chug and grunge then the NDSP just takes over from there..

If you can't get a good tone these days there really is no excuse..
Just to clarify. Kazrog is not teaming up with Neural.

Enjoy your new sonic explorations
Old 25th November 2020
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I checked out the Cory Wong thing a bit, moved on pretty quickly. To each their own. There's no accounting for taste.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I checked out the Cory Wong thing a bit, moved on pretty quickly. To each their own. There's no accounting for taste.
"thing" and "a bit" may possibly imply how you approached your demo. If course considering taste, there is nothing more to add. But the obvious high level of sonic quality, reaction and sound - beside every personal taste preference - is unquestionable imo.
Old 25th November 2020
Deleted 1833845
The BYOME/TRIAD combo seems like a good way to spend $29.99.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 1833845 View Post
The BYOME/TRIAD combo seems like a good way to spend $29.99.
Even though it is not listed, the code did not work for me. Possibly because it is a bundle. I tried it this sale and last sale also...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuzdul View Post
Even though it is not listed, the code did not work for me. Possibly because it is a bundle. I tried it this sale and last sale also...
I just tried here and got this error message "The voucher "BFD1-2999" requires a specific quantity of products in your cart. Please check the voucher requirements". Checking the email from PA it specifically says to choose ONE plugin so that's the answer.
Deleted 1833845
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I just tried here and got this error message "The voucher "BFD1-2999" requires a specific quantity of products in your cart. Please check the voucher requirements". Checking the email from PA it specifically says to choose ONE plugin so that's the answer.
Well that blows but I guess I shouldnt be surprised
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
Black friday Mail.

Every Plugin 29. Again.

Bettermaker and 9000j and others are excluded
Dang nabbit! Next Bf it is for the 9000J
Old 25th November 2020
Gear Maniac

R4 is now $29 at Plugin Boutique

PhoenixVerb is $9.99

Izotope Excalibur is $9.99
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange loop View Post
I like it for clean drum compression (it had an almost transient shaper effect that I like a lot) using the Hilbert detector. Haven't used it that much yet but where I have it's done good things.

I was using it on a synth line where it really brought out something in the delayed stereo echoes that my other compressors (not a large collection, mainly Kotelnikov GE, bx_opto, elysia Alpha at the time) did not, using the blended stereo link. There was low level lower mid range detail that pushed up nicely with KH-Comp1. But I've since replaced it on that particular sound with Molot GE. That gave me the same added detail but tamed some upper mids in certain parts that were more prominent with KH-Comp1. It's not that KH-Comp1 sounded bad - it sounded great - it's that it sounded that little bit better to me without those bits standing out as much each time they came around. And it may be that what you prefer is for them to stand out.

Still using it on the drums for that track, though. Molot GE does great things for drums but it's different and I'll use them both there, depending what sound I'm looking for.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I have the free Molotok but have not tried it in a project yet.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl4311 View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply. I have the free Molotok but have not tried it in a project yet.
Stop everything and do it right now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Enstrom View Post
Dang nabbit! Next Bf it is for the 9000J
It’ll be surprising to me if they don’t offer any sale on it. It’s been out a while now and I can’t imagine they’re selling all that many licenses at that comical price.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
It’ll be surprising to me if they don’t offer any sale on it. It’s been out a while now and I can’t imagine they’re selling all that many licenses at that comical price.
Same thing for the Amek EQ
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
"thing" and "a bit" may possibly imply how you approached your demo. If course considering taste, there is nothing more to add. But the obvious high level of sonic quality, reaction and sound - beside every personal taste preference - is unquestionable imo.
I tried the Cory Wong collection out along with some of the other high gain stuff from Neural. Gotta say I will be purchasing the CW set, incredible clean tone amps and the overdrive pedals are phenomenal.

It's basically a guitar amp sim for JHS fans (not saying I am one, lol), which is refreshing because most amp sim stuff is for metal and classic rock people and I have no real interest in high gain or metal amps and styles.

Delay and "Shimmer" verb pedals are also great fun.

Anyone with even a passing interest in post-rock, hipster pedals or just clean tone stuff should demo the CW collection. GUI is excellent, great options too.

The other stuff I tried was good but too high gain for me. Appreciate the recommendation.
Here for the gear

Quote:
I looked up Neural DSP and am not enthralled with their stuff. They don't say what each amp is modeled after like a Fender/Marshall/Friedman/etc. Also never heard of any of the artists they have made plugins for. The amps may be great sounding but without knowing what they're modeled after it's a no-sell.

My third post so this is risky maybe. Why does that really matter?

Download the trials and play through them. Re-amp with them. I understand the desire to know what they're modelling for a point of reference, but none of that really matters considering they offer very generous demos.

The Neural sims are on another level from the ones I've tried and I've tried most of them including my HX Stomp/Helix Native. Several of my friends have Kempers and Axe FX's and I prefer the Neutral plugs, especially for rock stuff.

But my post is pointless really. I'm not really trying to convince you but Neural's demos very likely could.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss Boss View Post
My third post so this is risky maybe. Why does that really matter?

Download the trials and play through them. Re-amp with them. I understand the desire to know what they're modelling for a point of reference, but none of that really matters considering they offer very generous demos.

The Neural sims are on another level from the ones I've tried and I've tried most of them including my HX Stomp/Helix Native. Several of my friends have Kempers and Axe FX's and I prefer the Neutral plugs, especially for rock stuff.

But my post is pointless really. I'm not really trying to convince you but Neural's demos very likely could.
It matters because I don't but anything based on what someone uses. As a certified old fart I like to know where things come from and/or are based on. I go for certain sounds that I know certain amps can provide. It also matters to me because I've played through most of the commonly known amps out there and I look for that in s/w. I don't just pick an amp out of thin air but what a certain amp can give me.

For instance I know what an amp that uses EL34's in it's output stage will do versus what 6L6's or EL84's. Neural doesn't give that kind of info. Combine that with them designing for artists I've never heard of and well...

What I want to see in s/w is a really great Marshall Plexi emulation. IKMM's emu's suck donkey balls. Or a Magnatone emulation.
Here for the gear

Quote:
It matters because I don't but anything based on what someone uses. As a certified old fart I like to know where things come from and/or are based on. I go for certain sounds that I know certain amps can provide. It also matters to me because I've played through most of the commonly known amps out there and I look for that in s/w. I don't just pick an amp out of thin air but what a certain amp can give me.

For instance I know what an amp that uses EL34's in it's output stage will do versus what 6L6's or EL84's. Neural doesn't give that kind of info. Combine that with them designing for artists I've never heard of and well...

What I want to see in s/w is a really great Marshall Plexi emulation. IKMM's emu's suck donkey balls. Or a Magnatone emulation.
Fair enough. I certainly wouldn't order an amp and have it shipped without trying it. If the amp company offered to bring it to my house, leave it with me four 14 days so I could put it through its paces, and then come back to pick it up...different story.

I've plugged into many, many boutique amps only to blown away by the sound without having any idea of what's under the hood. I guess I subscribe to the "if it sounds good, it is good" philosophy and I'm always willing to try something new if it may sound better. I would buy an amp sim endorsed by Carrot Top if it sounds good. By the way, I'm old too. Kind of.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_K View Post
I tried the Cory Wong collection out along with some of the other high gain stuff from Neural. Gotta say I will be purchasing the CW set, incredible clean tone amps and the overdrive pedals are phenomenal.

It's basically a guitar amp sim for JHS fans (not saying I am one, lol), which is refreshing because most amp sim stuff is for metal and classic rock people and I have no real interest in high gain or metal amps and styles.

Delay and "Shimmer" verb pedals are also great fun.

Anyone with even a passing interest in post-rock, hipster pedals or just clean tone stuff should demo the CW collection. GUI is excellent, great options too.

The other stuff I tried was good but too high gain for me. Appreciate the recommendation.
Cool you like it. That's what I think too and exactly that in sum convinced me about it. It's finally something custom made but in a very different direction. Uniquely good. A kind of its own. I would have spend some money for the wah and filter envelope pedal alone
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss Boss View Post
Fair enough. I certainly wouldn't order an amp and have it shipped without trying it. If the amp company offered to bring it to my house, leave it with me four 14 days so I could put it through its paces, and then come back to pick it up...different story.

I've plugged into many, many boutique amps only to blown away by the sound without having any idea of what's under the hood. I guess I subscribe to the "if it sounds good, it is good" philosophy and I'm always willing to try something new if it may sound better. I would buy an amp sim endorsed by Carrot Top if it sounds good. By the way, I'm old too. Kind of.
That would be an Orange amp....
Old 25th November 2020
Gear Addict

Does anyone use amp sims for things they were not intended to amp? By this I mean: put synths or acoustic guitar recordings/samples or anything other than an electric guitar through them? I'm planning to demo the Cory Wong collection, downloaded today but was busy demoing other stuff. I don't know him but I listened to the demo video and I liked the sound. Usually I'm uninterested in amp sims but I do have Cytomic's Tube Screamer emulation and use it a lot on synths so this got me thinking. If I were to buy the CW collection it would definitely be for something other than its intended purpose.

I know that's probably sacrilege to some but so much good music has come from using things in ways they were never intended.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Does anyone use amp sims for things they were not intended to amp? By this I mean: put synths or acoustic guitar recordings/samples or anything other than an electric guitar through them? I'm planning to demo the Cory Wong collection, downloaded today but was busy demoing other stuff. I don't know him but I listened to the demo video and I liked the sound. Usually I'm uninterested in amp sims but I do have Cytomic's Tube Screamer emulation and use it a lot on synths so this got me thinking. If I were to buy the CW collection it would definitely be for something other than its intended purpose.

I know that's probably sacrilege to some but so much good music has come from using things in ways they were never intended.
Yeah all the time. When I reamp keys or beats tho I'm less interested in the actual emulation quality and Guitar Rig or the Nembrini sans amp clone totally suffice tbh.

The scream is probably a little bit rounder in it's default tone than the included pedals in CW but they are right up there IMO but scream is very cpu hungry as you know.

I am a below mediocre guitar player and even I can appreciate the playability improvements in this Neural stuff over Amplitube and GR but for destroying things or adding spice I'm not sure I'd care too much tbh.

I use a real overdrive, delay, volume pedal etc with my guitar DI'd into my interface and these amps are a big improvement for that tho.
Gear Head

Quote:

Well, Neural Fortin Models, Darkglass, Granophyre and Parallax are clearly modelled after the amps/pedals they take their names of (or very slightly adapted). So I can´t understand the complain for those.

Regarding the Archetypes, at least the Nolly models are publicly known what they are, confirmed by Nolly himself (amp 1 is a Bogner Shiva, amp 2 is a JCM 800 2203 with added bright Switch and Depth control, amp 3 is a Block VH 5150, Amp 4 is a heavily modified to be almost irrecongnizible -sic- Victory).

Regarding the Plini, I think amp 1 is a mix of Fender/Dumble, and the other 2 amps, one is a Friedman and the other one is a mix of Friedman and something else (can´t recall if a 5150 or a JCM800, but you can find out it is out there).

The Cory Wong I think one is a Dumble and the other one involves at least partially a Roland, likely mixed with a Fender, I think.

This might not be 100% accurate (the Nolly is as it was confirmed by himself on facebook), but there you have it if it helps you make up your mind.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Does anyone use amp sims for things they were not intended to amp? By this I mean: put synths or acoustic guitar recordings/samples or anything other than an electric guitar through them?
I like to use bass amp emulations on bass synths from time to time.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Sometimes synthesizers, sometimes bass (not that surprising). There have probably been other things during some more experimental phases.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_K View Post
Yeah all the time. When I reamp keys or beats tho I'm less interested in the actual emulation quality and Guitar Rig or the Nembrini sans amp clone totally suffice tbh.

The scream is probably a little bit rounder in it's default tone than the included pedals in CW but they are right up there IMO but scream is very cpu hungry as you know.

I am a below mediocre guitar player and even I can appreciate the playability improvements in this Neural stuff over Amplitube and GR but for destroying things or adding spice I'm not sure I'd care too much tbh.
Thanks. (And to everyone else that replied.)

I'm not interested in using amps to destroy things. I have other plugins for that. Not just The Scream and saturation plugins that can be driven into distortion but other effects for mangling in various ways. That's part of the appeal of the CW collection over the Nolly one. I'm interested to see what they can do for a sound while keeping it clean or close to. I'm assuming even a "clean" amp adds its own tone to the sound.

Yes, The Scream is a CPU monster. I don't care. It sounds great. I can always freeze a track if I need to. I'm far less interested in the included pedals than I am the amps.

I should have time to try out the Neural stuff tomorrow.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabirio View Post
I need another compressor plugin like a hole in my head, but how could I resist Elysia Alpha @ $18
How did you manage to get it for $18?
It will be $29 on Black Friday, but I don't think it'll get lower than that. Did you have a personal voucher or take a survey or something?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks. (And to everyone else that replied.)

I'm not interested in using amps to destroy things. I have other plugins for that. Not just The Scream and saturation plugins that can be driven into distortion but other effects for mangling in various ways. That's part of the appeal of the CW collection over the Nolly one. I'm interested to see what they can do for a sound while keeping it clean or close to. I'm assuming even a "clean" amp adds its own tone to the sound.

Yes, The Scream is a CPU monster. I don't care. It sounds great. I can always freeze a track if I need to. I'm far less interested in the included pedals than I am the amps.

I should have time to try out the Neural stuff tomorrow.
Bit off topic but an "overdrive" pedal just provides the sound of an overdriven amp, there's not a very clear distinction between amps and pedals as overdrive pedals can give you the signature of a particular amp sound without needing to crank your actual amp up. It kinda gets confusing and a bit redundant when dealing with software!

So the CW amps give you a lot of travel on the gain knob before they start to break up as apposed to a "high gain" amp which will sound overdriven from one or two on the dial (no need to go to eleven with those). So just using any amp sim should be sufficient to give you a reamped sound on different complex sources as long as you keep the gain down.

A guitar provides a fairly simple (and familiar) sound source and you get a predictable result with amplification that's why nerds split hairs over amp sims but once you get a complex sound source going through an amp/amp sim a lot of the nuance becomes redundant. Other simple sounds like organ tones can benefit from an amp and there's a 60 year history of reamping such instruments.

I mean use amp sims to saturate/distort and alter sounds all you want I'm just not sure the difference is gonna be worth it, you absolutely may find it is. You could spend $70-$80 on an analogue pedal tho (or couple of Behringer pedals) and have fun reamping stuff going in and out of the box.

EDIT: I'm assuming you already have amp sim software of course.
Gear Nut

While we're on this subject, I've been thinking of re-amping ITB Rhodes or wurly's with a good sim because I figure a dedicated plugin is probably much better than whatever option comes built into Kontakt. Is there a good affordable (not planning to become a guitarist any time soon) JC-120 or Fender Twin amp sim out there or would I roughly get the same results with a stock sim like the one that comes with Ableton? Ya'll have any experience doing this sort of thing?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritsGroove View Post
While we're on this subject, I've been thinking of re-amping ITB Rhodes or wurly's with a good sim because I figure a dedicated plugin is probably much better than whatever option comes built into Kontakt. Is there a good affordable (not planning to become a guitarist any time soon) JC-120 or Fender Twin amp sim out there or would I roughly get the same results with a stock sim like the one that comes with Ableton? Ya'll have any experience doing this sort of thing?
Try this bad boy: https://www.nembriniaudio.com/produc...aturation-unit

You can get it in a bundle with the mono version for just over $30 right now. Sounds good on everything from E-pianos to marimbas to hip-hop breaks. Demo it.
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I have 3 neural plugins - cali, Nolly, Cory. Absolutely love them.

And honestly I think my cheapo fender frontman 25r sounds and feels better than any of the neural plugins, but that's probably because there's no latency on it and I don't have to put on headphones to hear it. It also can't do marshall or Peavey sounds so there's that...

When I just wanna jam and have fun, I turn on the real amp, but when it comes to recording, neural all the way.
📝 Reply