The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?
Old 1 week ago
  #11641
Gear Maniac
I will swap my 50 and add 10 dollars for a 75???
Old 1 week ago
  #11642
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
The CrispyTuner is going to be a nice addition to my collection as I only have the UAD Autotune Pro which lacks graphic mode
That could be the first *new* PA Plugin since the DSM V3 upgrade that gets me actually excited. I have Melodyne which is downright awesome but it's not realtime.

Last edited by dyscode; 1 week ago at 11:36 PM..
Old 1 week ago
  #11643
TJe
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZangTumblyTumble View Post
This is how it works with hardware to a large extent: everything is a bounce. Especially if you sell the gizmo used on an older mix.

I believe Slate does month-by-month subs so you can recall if you really need to without a long-term commitment.

It involves a higher degree of discipline but if you don't believe you will need preset recall or work on one-and-done projects it's not unusable. Other people will have different requirements and desires.

You can also buy Slate plugins in any case. I have some, took out the sub, decided the sub wasn't giving me that much so stopped also on the basis that perpetual licences fit my approach more. But I can see it working for other people with different needs.
I think the subscriptions model is interesting for professionnals mix engineers,these poeple who need almost every plugin on the market.Once his job is done,he works on the next.

For the 'producers' who have many different tracks not finished (like me),that's less suitable.

Yes you have to bounce everything with hardware,but one of the big benefits of working ITB is to recall what you want when you want it.
With hardware you know in advance,when you're using it,that you have to bounce and you will not be able to recall the settings.
Old 1 week ago
  #11644
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJe View Post
I think the subscriptions model is interesting for professionnals mix engineers,these poeple who need almost every plugin on the market.Once his job is done,he works on the next.

For the 'producers' who have many different tracks not finished (like me),that's less suitable.

Yes you have to bounce everything with hardware,but one of the big benefits of working ITB is to recall what you want when you want it.
With hardware you know in advance,when you're using it,that you have to bounce and you will not be able to recall the settings.
Yes, Im a mix engineer mostly but I dont have the PA sub because other people send me projects I need to open with them. I just like the plugins and want the variety. I have a hardware rig too with 56 channel analog console, some of the studio standard comps, eq, etc. I charge more to use that stuff because its expensive to buy and mixes take way longer than using plugins for me. I use plugins for speed and mostly mix even my own songs with them. Why do I bother with the hardware then? I dont want to argue about it but to me analog mix hardware just sounds better. Think about it this way, you cared enough to buy an analog synth right? it must sound different then a digital or you wouldnt have it. Maybe you're in the Diva camp, good for you. (Not you TJe, just theoretical) Im just relaying my experience.

Last edited by StarfishMusic; 1 week ago at 06:01 AM..
Old 6 days ago
  #11645
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyscode View Post
That could be the first *new* PA Plugin since the DSM V3 upgrade that gets me actually excited. I have Melodyne which is downright awesome but it's not realtime.
I hope they will also add it as seperate plugin and not only (as Dirk threatened in the newsletter) as all-in-one solution including a Brainworx reverb *shiver*
Old 6 days ago
  #11646
Gear Addict
 
Durk Diggler's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
I hope they will also add it as seperate plugin and not only (as Dirk threatened in the newsletter) as all-in-one solution including a Brainworx reverb *shiver*
As an AIO solution you would be likely to be able to just use the tuner or the reverb. Anyways, shimmer reverb is a thing of the past, make way for decades of the shiver reverb. Aye, audio captain, shiver me reverb!
Old 6 days ago
  #11647
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
I hope they will also add it as seperate plugin and not only (as Dirk threatened in the newsletter) as all-in-one solution including a Brainworx reverb *shiver*
100% , I heavily count on that the 'modules' are switchable and are not permanently in the signal path. Anything else would be insane, indeed.
Old 6 days ago
  #11648
Lives for gear
 

Anyone wants to sell a voucher?
Old 4 days ago
  #11649
Lives for gear
 
Sleazy_Rider's Avatar
 

2 days without the chat...

Keep it real people....
Old 4 days ago
  #11650
Lives for gear
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy_Rider View Post
2 days without the chat...

Keep it real people....
That's because people are pissing about (and rightly so) what Waves has done with V12.
Old 4 days ago
  #11651
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
That's because people are pissing about (and rightly so) what Waves has done with V12.
What has Waves done with V12? I'm about to buy some of my first ever Waves plugins tonight. They seem to be a pretty good deal right now. I'm thinking abbey road saturator, tg mastering, vinyl, and maybe the tg console. I might even get the chambers if I buy enough to get 2 free. The whole Abbey Road bundle seems like a great deal now for $200 but nothing else from waves interests me as the free plugins, and I don't need kings microphones, ADT, or J37.

How's the sound quality and character on that stuff? I've already got the PA mix and master sub, but none of it seems like it's all about ooey gooey the way EMI is known for. In fact PA seems quite a bit lacking on the harmonic distortion emulation front. You do got lindell 80, and the elysia karacter. I like the transormer options on the Shadow Hills A, but that's about all the low mid grit sat stuff they seem to have. I even had to go Softube to buy Tape, because PA doesn't have a tape sim. There's the BX saturation plugin, but my mind generally wants to go to gear that is operated and proports to do the exact job as hardware. I just come from that world.
Old 4 days ago
  #11652
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
What has Waves done with V12? I'm about to buy some of my first ever Waves plugins tonight. They seem to be a pretty good deal right now. I'm thinking abbey road saturator, tg mastering, vinyl, and maybe the tg console. I might even get the chambers if I buy enough to get 2 free. The whole Abbey Road bundle seems like a great deal now for $200 but nothing else from waves interests me as the free plugins, and I don't need kings microphones, ADT, or J37.

How's the sound quality and character on that stuff? I've already got the PA mix and master sub, but none of it seems like it's all about ooey gooey the way EMI is known for. In fact PA seems quite a bit lacking on the harmonic distortion emulation front. You do got lindell 80, and the elysia karacter. I like the transormer options on the Shadow Hills A, but that's about all the low mid grit sat stuff they seem to have. I even had to go Softube to buy Tape, because PA doesn't have a tape sim. There's the BX saturation plugin, but my mind generally wants to go to gear that is operated and proports to do the exact job as hardware. I just come from that world.
I have the tg mastering plug and it rocks... very versatile and sounds great. The gui is not resizable, so depending on your screen resolution, it might be a bit small... don’t know about V12 plugs as I’m using V10 for win 7 and all my waves plugs work great. You can always use previous versions of their plugs if you want no matter what system your on.
Old 4 days ago
  #11653
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
What has Waves done with V12? I'm about to buy some of my first ever Waves plugins tonight. They seem to be a pretty good deal right now. I'm thinking abbey road saturator, tg mastering, vinyl, and maybe the tg console. I might even get the chambers if I buy enough to get 2 free. The whole Abbey Road bundle seems like a great deal now for $200 but nothing else from waves interests me as the free plugins, and I don't need kings microphones, ADT, or J37.

How's the sound quality and character on that stuff? I've already got the PA mix and master sub, but none of it seems like it's all about ooey gooey the way EMI is known for. In fact PA seems quite a bit lacking on the harmonic distortion emulation front. You do got lindell 80, and the elysia karacter. I like the transormer options on the Shadow Hills A, but that's about all the low mid grit sat stuff they seem to have. I even had to go Softube to buy Tape, because PA doesn't have a tape sim. There's the BX saturation plugin, but my mind generally wants to go to gear that is operated and proports to do the exact job as hardware. I just come from that world.
lw budget options:
Klanghelm IGVI (internally very complex, the soft distortion and bandwidth focus are very nice, the "drive" does not work for me.)
Melda Saturator, the harmony options are great, you can deal in a myriad of flavors. Normally stay below 5% with the detail knobs. I took some time to create presets, that sound beautiful. You have no assistant to prevent you from totally ugly settings.
Waves has this Tube Saturator Vintage for free, a modern CPU can handle it. I like to use it for vocals.
TLs Saturated Driver is quite a beast, I use it on a kick+snare bus and overdrive it hard.

PA has still nice saturation.
I like the preamp in the Lindell channel X. The comp adds another layer of grit.
Phil's Cascade is the real thing. I used to repair valve amps in my youth, the bias knob is legit (sweet spot for me around 4, but you can get a quite dampened sound if you want, at the more extreme positions). The "resonance" resembles the "presence" knob in some ancient circuitry. You can get very beautiful brilliance with it, e.g. for a recorded piano for a rock song, and always try on some guitars that got buried in the mix.
Some of their channel strips can overdrive quite nicely, and also the Ampeg bass plugins should be tried.
Old 4 days ago
  #11654
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
A saturation discussion, particularly in PA's own Thread, is not complete without mentioning VSM-3. It's my go-to model across the board (excluding classical.) Of course I use others, such as Decapitator, but the former really is in a league of its own in my opinion. It's also available on UAD.
Old 4 days ago
  #11655
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
What has Waves done with V12? I'm about to buy some of my first ever Waves plugins tonight. They seem to be a pretty good deal right now. I'm thinking abbey road saturator, tg mastering, vinyl, and maybe the tg console. I might even get the chambers if I buy enough to get 2 free. The whole Abbey Road bundle seems like a great deal now for $200 but nothing else from waves interests me as the free plugins, and I don't need kings microphones, ADT, or J37.

How's the sound quality and character on that stuff? I've already got the PA mix and master sub, but none of it seems like it's all about ooey gooey the way EMI is known for. In fact PA seems quite a bit lacking on the harmonic distortion emulation front. You do got lindell 80, and the elysia karacter. I like the transormer options on the Shadow Hills A, but that's about all the low mid grit sat stuff they seem to have. I even had to go Softube to buy Tape, because PA doesn't have a tape sim. There's the BX saturation plugin, but my mind generally wants to go to gear that is operated and proports to do the exact job as hardware. I just come from that world.
As it would happen, I just picked up the Abbey Road Saturator, TG Mastering and Vinyl this past weekend. I'm really impressed with their sound and functionality. I've picked up quite a few Waves products over the past year and the Abbey Road products strike me as being real standouts (check out Abbey Road Plates and J37 Tape, too).

In general, one of the things I appreciate about the Waves stuff is ease of use and the ability to quickly assess whether or not the plugin is the right tool for the job. I find I can make decisions more efficiently without getting sidetracked in a multitude of plugin parameters. I just I enjoy the workflow - it's a comfortable fit for me.

The V12 plugins are resizable but the resolution isn't great, at least on my system. Thankfully, the sound more than makes up for that.
Old 4 days ago
  #11656
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy_Rider View Post
2 days without the chat...

Keep it real people....
Things will ramp back up into overdrive by the end of the month in prep for November.
Old 4 days ago
  #11657
trg
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy_Rider View Post
2 days without the chat...

Keep it real people....
Was gonna mention that, too, but couldn't find a tumbleweed icon...
Old 4 days ago
  #11658
Lives for gear
twin tube is on sale, a valve saturator.

I think in such a configuration, the mechanical user interface paradigm is stupid though. To drag the lack of knobs that cost a lot, and lack of surface space into the digital world, where the ersatz knob logic increases programming costs, is at least subjectivistic.
this does not mean people should not use it when they like the sound.
Old 4 days ago
  #11659
trg
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoVXR View Post
twin tube is on sale, a valve saturator.

I think in such a configuration, the mechanical user interface paradigm is stupid though. To drag the lack of knobs that cost a lot, and lack of surface space into the digital world, where the ersatz knob logic increases programming costs, is at least subjectivistic.
this does not mean people should not use it when they like the sound.
I'm right there with you, but these are hardware models. Depending on the modelling, it's probably not so easy to change the control philosophy. With this binary frequency selector, though, they probably could have added a layer between GUI and model to make it a bit more straightforward. (I imagine there are circuit networks behind the knobs, so you need to have those two switches in the end, as they switch on and off parts of the networks to behave like they should.)
Old 3 days ago
  #11660
Lives for gear
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
What has Waves done with V12? I'm about to buy some of my first ever Waves plugins tonight. They seem to be a pretty good deal right now. I'm thinking abbey road saturator, tg mastering, vinyl, and maybe the tg console. I might even get the chambers if I buy enough to get 2 free. The whole Abbey Road bundle seems like a great deal now for $200 but nothing else from waves interests me as the free plugins, and I don't need kings microphones, ADT, or J37.

How's the sound quality and character on that stuff? I've already got the PA mix and master sub, but none of it seems like it's all about ooey gooey the way EMI is known for. In fact PA seems quite a bit lacking on the harmonic distortion emulation front. You do got lindell 80, and the elysia karacter. I like the transormer options on the Shadow Hills A, but that's about all the low mid grit sat stuff they seem to have. I even had to go Softube to buy Tape, because PA doesn't have a tape sim. There's the BX saturation plugin, but my mind generally wants to go to gear that is operated and proports to do the exact job as hardware. I just come from that world.
You haven't read the thread here in the New Products section about Waves introducing V12? Depending on your computer you may be screwed. Mac Pro 5,1's (2012 cheesegrater and earlier) won't properly run the v12 plugins. The problem is Waves requires a Metal compatible video card or the plugins gui's are blank. Also some people are having phasing issues with some of the plugins. Then there's the whole resizability issue - when enlarging viewability gets worse and some of the lettering is just plain nasty to look at.

I really suggest taking a look at that thread here. Waves Audio Introduces V12
Old 3 days ago
  #11661
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You haven't read the thread here in the New Products section about Waves introducing V12? Depending on your computer you may be screwed. Mac Pro 5,1's (2012 cheesegrater and earlier) won't properly run the v12 plugins. The problem is Waves requires a Metal compatible video card or the plugins gui's are blank. Also some people are having phasing issues with some of the plugins. Then there's the whole resizability issue - when enlarging viewability gets worse and some of the lettering is just plain nasty to look at.

I really suggest taking a look at that thread here. Waves Audio Introduces V12
Thanks for letting me know. I did just buy a bunch of them last night. Not having any problems but I am on a fairly current and strong PC. Ryzen 9 3950x.

No blank GUIs but yeah I did notice they did a cheap version of graphics scaling. Arturia and BX who also does the 3d modelled rather than vector graphics does it the fancy and better looking way by providing a separate resolution graphic for every size. If you go big they stay sharp with all the extra detail. The Waves sizing just magnifies the one image so it gets softer and blurrier as it increases. I can live with that though for the cheap prices they're costing now. It's not that bad but the biggest I can run to fit on my screen is 150% anyway. I'm still super happy it does scaling at all because my eyes are not great and I have plenty of small plugins that don't scale at all.

Maybe if there's a hullabaloo going on with V12 for some people is why everything is discounted so hard right now. I never heard of a "metal compatible" card till I read your post. Guess I got lucky.
Old 3 days ago
  #11662
Lives for gear
 
mutetourettes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
Thanks for letting me know. I did just buy a bunch of them last night. Not having any problems but I am on a fairly current and strong PC. Ryzen 9 3950x.

No blank GUIs but yeah I did notice they did a cheap version of graphics scaling. Arturia and BX who also does the 3d modelled rather than vector graphics does it the fancy and better looking way by providing a separate resolution graphic for every size. If you go big they stay sharp with all the extra detail. The Waves sizing just magnifies the one image so it gets softer and blurrier as it increases. I can live with that though for the cheap prices they're costing now. It's not that bad but the biggest I can run to fit on my screen is 150% anyway. I'm still super happy it does scaling at all because my eyes are not great and I have plenty of small plugins that don't scale at all.

Maybe if there's a hullabaloo going on with V12 for some people is why everything is discounted so hard right now. I never heard of a "metal compatible" card till I read your post. Guess I got lucky.
Waves stuff is literally always discounted....
Old 3 days ago
  #11663
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
The Waves sales to really look out for are the occasional extreme bundle discounts. Once in a while you will see a hot one. Varies more than the single plug discounts.
The $30-40 range is almost always available, for single plugins. Like the previous post was saying.
Old 3 days ago
  #11664
Lives for gear
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
Thanks for letting me know. I did just buy a bunch of them last night. Not having any problems but I am on a fairly current and strong PC. Ryzen 9 3950x.

No blank GUIs but yeah I did notice they did a cheap version of graphics scaling. Arturia and BX who also does the 3d modelled rather than vector graphics does it the fancy and better looking way by providing a separate resolution graphic for every size. If you go big they stay sharp with all the extra detail. The Waves sizing just magnifies the one image so it gets softer and blurrier as it increases. I can live with that though for the cheap prices they're costing now. It's not that bad but the biggest I can run to fit on my screen is 150% anyway. I'm still super happy it does scaling at all because my eyes are not great and I have plenty of small plugins that don't scale at all.

Maybe if there's a hullabaloo going on with V12 for some people is why everything is discounted so hard right now. I never heard of a "metal compatible" card till I read your post. Guess I got lucky.
Metal compatible video cards are for Mac users. I don't know if there's such a thing for Windows users.

As far as gui quality you have it right with Arturia and Plugin Alliance resizable gui's. A bit on the expensive side but worth it. I can't afford to just dump Waves stuff because most of the Abbey Road Collection finds it's way into my work flow.
Old 3 days ago
  #11665
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by trg View Post
I'm right there with you, but these are hardware models. Depending on the modelling, it's probably not so easy to change the control philosophy. With this binary frequency selector, though, they probably could have added a layer between GUI and model to make it a bit more straightforward. (I imagine there are circuit networks behind the knobs, so you need to have those two switches in the end, as they switch on and off parts of the networks to behave like they should.)
ok I see this (circuitry paths..) but at least there could be just 4 digital buttons, or a turn-knob with 4 positions, or how many frequencies they allow to select, as it is easily possible to copy this part of the construction and (mathematically) add another set of capacitors, coils, resistors, whatever, if only the knowhow, workflow and auditioning of the original enginering has to be understood and continued.
one click at the value without thinking, versus two clicks, and head scratching what was that again...

(as I have a dozen other saturators already, and occasionally try one or the other, which means there is no daily use of the same plugin, but a little comeback after a long time, so the UI should be as simple as possible.)
Old 3 days ago
  #11666
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
Everyone who likes crispy drums and punchy low end and wonders how they can get there should check out Acustica Audio Diamond Transient and learn about its intended main use (drum bus etc.)

Far more interesting than any PA plugin of this year (and PA already had some good ones, too!)

If I were Dirk, I‘d have Brainworx make an algorithmic version of that kind of processor.
Old 3 days ago
  #11667
Gear Addict
 
eagle007's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Everyone who likes crispy drums and punchy low end and wonders how they can get there should check out Acustica Audio Diamond Transient and learn about its intended main use (drum bus etc.)

Far more interesting than any PA plugin of this year (and PA already had some good ones, too!)

If I were Dirk, I‘d have Brainworx make an algorithmic version of that kind of processor.
It surprises my over and over, how much love there is for Acustica Audio here on Gearslutz.

I was very tempted due the N4 discount and looked into the Acustica Audio again recently. Bought Nebula 3 in the past, but it is such a pain in in the ass to work with and it comes with a bizarre CPU hit.

In the N4 thread I read a comment about the CPU usage. Someone stated: "I can easily run 6 instances of Nebula on my system". Come on! 6 ???

And then there is this review of an Acustica Audio plugin:
https://youtu.be/JgGY6rK3rZk

The guy literally proves with plugin doctor that there is nothing, and I mean, nothing magically happening in that plugin. It's clean as any default DAW plugin. He got bashed all over and even got bashed by Acustica Audio themselves for making this video. But if the magic isn't there, it isn't there.

That does not mean that this is the same for every of their plugins obviously. But my point is more the reaction of that company on the video. Just silly.

Another weird thing I came across. Trying to find some decent English demo or review videos about it on YouTube, I could find nearly nothing. So apparently this love for AA is not that much reflected elsewhere.

Am I missing something ?

On the other hand, I'm perfectly happy with the punch I get from the BX console strips with the SPL Transient shaper, some 1176 clones, decapitator and some Sonnox plugins.

My most recent PA purchases are the SSL J and the Townhouse compressor. Happy camper.
Old 3 days ago
  #11668
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle007 View Post
Am I missing something ?
I am not much of an Acustica Audio fanboy. However their Dave Pensado EQ is absolutely brilliant (that one is not even popular with the Acustica fanboys), the Ruby EQ also is great but that Luca Pretolesi modified DBX 3BX you are currently asking about is a game changer when used as originally intended by him. If your music is beat centric try it for its suggested main use and then good luck trying to live without it unless you already have a similar tool in your arsenal. Maybe if you have a realy great multiband expander/ compressor combination you already have a similar tool. I didn't have that before and there's definitely not a big choice of such products. Would be interesting to know which other plugins can do what this does.
Old 3 days ago
  #11669
Gear Guru
I don’t use Nebula but love Aqua. There isn’t any magic there just very high resolution and clarity. There isn’t magic in any plug in just small shifts in elements that interact in a magical way.

I wouldn’t over analyze it. Great tools are primarily time savers. Lots of little things add up and that’s where the magic lies....
Old 3 days ago
  #11670
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle007 View Post
And then there is this review of an Acustica Audio plugin:
https://youtu.be/JgGY6rK3rZk

The guy literally proves with plugin doctor that there is nothing, and I mean, nothing magically happening in that plugin.
That guy should learn a few basics before making a fool of himself. Convolution is based on fourier transform and fourier transform is linear.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 90 views: 23989
Avatar for RogerFoote
RogerFoote 4th July 2019
replies: 761 views: 143026
Avatar for Jason rocks
Jason rocks 29th June 2016
replies: 1688 views: 195369
Avatar for djrustycans
djrustycans 1 week ago
replies: 91 views: 19597
Avatar for Monkey Man
Monkey Man 20th September 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump