The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg View Post
I should dig it out, undust it, and give it another try. Haven't really warmed up to its color back when I tried to use it on different material...
What do you use it on?
Aren't you lucky I never sleep? You get an answer in two minutes... I had to wait 10 hours to be quoted.

This is the type of compressor that you want on your drums sub, when your signal chain has reverb before compression.

This is an absolutely slamming compressor.
Old 13th August 2020
trg
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf LeProducer View Post
Aren't you lucky I never sleep? You get an answer in two minutes... I had to wait 10 hours to be quoted.

This is the type of compressor that you want on your drums sub, when your signal chain has reverb before compression.

This is an absolutely slamming compressor.
Wow, you're up early!!! I feel so lucky...

Yeah, I remember liking it on snares.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

What are the Black Rooster must have? The compressors? Like the VLA bundle?
Always wanted their plugins but they're usually out of my price range for me. Already have the ASH Bundle.
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Nut

I'd take one, too...
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Is the BX SSL J series a must have? I have several SSL plugs already. I can get for $74 but they'll always be a voucher, so I'm thinking the price can only go down over time. I don't think I "need" another SSL flavor, but I haven't had time to demo it to say for sure.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Hornet are doing a 40% off Flash Sale on all their plugins 13th-14th August.

I have been tempted by their Auto Gain VU Meter (Hornet VU Meter Mk 4) and their Hornet 31 plugin as I have heard good things about them.

Anyone have experience with either of those?

Cheers.
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 View Post
I agree with you there, console 1 has been an amazing addition for my workflow. I loved working in mixbus 32c but instability made me switch to logic. Then I tried the PA focusrite and lindell 80 strips and realized how much I love the workflow of having the same channel strip on every channel, so I got console 1. I bought mine used and it came with the ssl 4000 and 9000 strips, plus I got the british class A. The 4000 is a nice general use strip, and I love the 9000 for classical and jazz. The british class A has awesome saturation, so I use that for more rock stuff. The uad harrison eq is very cool with console 1 as well, I use that when I need to conserve native cpu.
+1000 on the UAD Harrison EQ! I recently picked it up and I've got Equilibrium and a few other goodies, but wow this thing is astonishing for adding character!
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheVerra View Post
What are the Black Rooster must have? The compressors? Like the VLA bundle?
Always wanted their plugins but they're usually out of my price range for me. Already have the ASH Bundle.
I usually reach for Black Rooster plugins before PA ones now. Generally better coding (and now Fuse Audio, too). KH1 is pretty nice, especially since you can/could get it for $35 at JRR. I sold Iron to pay for it. The Pre is also really nice. The LA3A is the best of its kind (the 2ALA is quite good as well). The Pultec style EQs are also quite good.

I picked up the All bundle plus then KH1 for $83 in total. Forget PA poker!!

I think there’s only 2 PA plugins of the 8 or so I have that get regular use still: MC77 and Oberhausen. SHMCA comes out to try as well sometimes. I foresee more selling more of them next month.
Old 14th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Hornet are doing a 40% off Flash Sale on all their plugins 13th-14th August.

I have been tempted by their Auto Gain VU Meter (Hornet VU Meter Mk 4) and their Hornet 31 plugin as I have heard good things about them.

Anyone have experience with either of those?

Cheers.
I have the Auto Gain VU meter. Works great. I have it on all channels with all instances grouped. Then I put it on auto set to target -12db. Then play through the first chorus of the song, instant gain-staging! It's a huge time-saver.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
I usually reach for Black Rooster plugins before PA ones now. Generally better coding (and now Fuse Audio, too). KH1 is pretty nice, especially since you can/could get it for $35 at JRR. I sold Iron to pay for it. The Pre is also really nice. The LA3A is the best of its kind (the 2ALA is quite good as well). The Pultec style EQs are also quite good.

I picked up the All bundle plus then KH1 for $83 in total. Forget PA poker!!

I think there’s only 2 PA plugins of the 8 or so I have that get regular use still: MC77 and Oberhausen. SHMCA comes out to try as well sometimes. I foresee more selling more of them next month.
Thanks. Thinking about getting the bundle as well.
Old 14th August 2020
trg
Gear Addict
What do you guys think about the Nembrini MRH 810 V2 currently at $29? How does it compare to the PA amps? I like the Nembrini stuff, but as I'm no guitar player, they all sound a bit samesy, high-endy to me...
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Generally better coding
What do you mean by "generally better coding"?
Old 14th August 2020
HSi
Lives for gear

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p..._metricab.html

$39.99 code today.
Old 14th August 2020
trg
Gear Addict
Listening to the audio demos for the new NEOLD. Is it just me, or are the wet examples (almost) always louder? What don't I understand? How can you make a fair judgement if the treated audio is louder? Is it just a marketing trick?
IMHO they should provide loudness matched examples. Or maybe it's just my lack of experience/knowledge... Someone, please, enlighten me.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

I had been interested in Console 1 since long ago. However I'm not sure if it's for me.

If I just want to use it to control my UAD plugins, why would I have to authorize that thing with iLok and Gobbler? Given the fact that the Roland plugins want to re authorize every single time I want to open a GUI (maybe something with the DRM on my computer is not working OK?), I am scared that the Console 1 would want to authorize with Gobbler all the time... Someone experiened this on his computer before...

And then the Console 1 does not work well for everyone... Some have trouble in their DAW switching between channels I read... Does someone here use it successfully with Logic and UAD plugins within Logic?

Additionally I am not a channel strip guy... I mostly use dedicated EQ and compressor plugins. Can I load more than one plugin onto the same track and go back and forth between them?

Also I read that the GUI of the plugin being controlled will not open... However some UAD plugins don't have all of their parameters mapped... How do I even know what kind of plugin is currently under control and what about the unmapped parameters? It seems like the Console 1 is best to be used with the special plugins for it which have a 1:1 mapping of their parameters. That way I could make a rough mix but nothing more.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
I had been interested in Console 1 since long ago. However I'm not sure if it's for me.

If I just want to use it to control my UAD plugins, why would I have to authorize that thing with iLok and Gobbler? Given the fact that the Roland plugins want to re authorize every single time I want to open a GUI (maybe something with the DRM on my computer is not working OK?), I am scared that the Console 1 would want to authorize with Gobbler all the time... Someone experiened this on his computer before...

And then the Console 1 does not work well for everyone... Some have trouble in their DAW switching between channels I read... Does someone here use it successfully with Logic and UAD plugins within Logic?

Additionally I am not a channel strip guy... I mostly use dedicated EQ and compressor plugins. Can I load more than one plugin onto the same track and go back and forth between them?

Also I read that the GUI of the plugin being controlled will not open... However some UAD plugins don't have all of their parameters mapped... How do I even know what kind of plugin is currently under control and what about the unmapped parameters? It seems like the Console 1 is best to be used with the special plugins for it which have a 1:1 mapping of their parameters. That way I could make a rough mix but nothing more.
I never used Gobbler in my life. All my Softube Plugins running over iLok. Never yet had any issues with iLok or Softube.

I use Cubase and C1 have a deep inegration with Cubase. I read with Logic is not so perfect. I would ask in the C1 threat about experiance with Logic and C1.

In the FAQ of Softube about C1 is a list of all UAD Plugins that are supported right now.

U can exhange parts of the Channelstrip. U can load one whole channelstrip and exchange then the Gate, EQ and the Compressor. U can also decide what is used first in the Channelstrip. When u have the Softube Fader u can also exchange the Drive Section and u can widen the stereofield directly in the C1 Software (so with the controller).

When u close the C1 Software u can use the Hardware also as a Midi Controller and with Midi learning u can map different Plugins. But I dont use that. I dont find that so useful to turn on and off the C1 Software. So i use the C1 Software and use other FX´s with the mouse when i need it (Reverbs, Delays, Gullfoss or whatever). But I would def. go to the C1 threat and ask ther for experiance.

All over i read people have more probs with the C1 Fader then with C1. Sometimes my Fader tell me i have to stop touch a fader before i can use another channel. then i have to stop the C1 Software and start it again. It dont happen very often.

Hope that helps
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling View Post
I never used Gobbler in my life. All my Softube Plugins running over iLok. Never yet had any issues with iLok or Softube.
Same here
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Listening to the audio demos for the new NEOLD. Is it just me, or are the wet examples (almost) always louder? What don't I understand? How can you make a fair judgement if the treated audio is louder? Is it just a marketing trick?
IMHO they should provide loudness matched examples. Or maybe it's just my lack of experience/knowledge... Someone, please, enlighten me.
as far as I understand from the demo videos, the device was built like that.
it is not neutral (but the plugin has the "linear" button) in volume and sound.

I think I understand what it is doing, but also I don't see much need to do this to my tracks.
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Is it just me, or are the wet examples (almost) always louder? Is it just a marketing trick?
Many -if not all- analog emulations employ this 'trick', regardless of manufacturer. Just something to be aware of.

T
Old 14th August 2020
trg
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Attic View Post
Many -if not all- analog emulations employ this 'trick', regardless of manufacturer. Just something to be aware of.

T
It just makes it hard to pass a fair judgement about what the plugin actually does to the sound (not the loudness) of the source. Examples should only wow me by the sound, not by dBs...

I know, I know, must demo anyway to really find out...
Old 14th August 2020
trg
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoVXR View Post
as far as I understand from the demo videos, the device was built like that.
it is not neutral (but the plugin has the "linear" button) in volume and sound.

I think I understand what it is doing, but also I don't see much need to do this to my tracks.
Even if the plugin actually does add the loudness, I would expect the examples to be matched to allow a fair comparison before/after. Otherwise it's just a nice ad...
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling View Post
I think Gobbler has pretty much been made redundant since they started Softube Central. However, Softube Central is far from infallible, it says I have neither Amp Room nor Console one installed when I have both installed and working. Shame my Console 1 hardware isn't but I think it's been mishandled accidentally.
I also have to admit that Softube's support isn't the best in the world in my experience. They do get back to you but them fixing the issue is something else altogether.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

In the C1 thread I've read that the Softube support is horrible.

Does anyone have an idea what might be the point of needing the C1 to register with iLok? Is there a fee earned by Softube when selling a C1 on the used market? As otherwise I don't know why it shouldn't just work out of the box with the UAD plugins after connection the cable. There must be an advantage somehow to someone from the iLok requirement of the C1 hardware.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempsperdu View Post
I think Gobbler has pretty much been made redundant since they started Softube Central. However, Softube Central is far from infallible, it says I have neither Amp Room nor Console one installed when I have both installed and working. Shame my Console 1 hardware isn't but I think it's been mishandled accidentally.
I also have to admit that Softube's support isn't the best in the world in my experience. They do get back to you but them fixing the issue is something else altogether.
I had Gobbler for my Softube plugins years ago without issue but I got rid of it ages ago now as I just get my licence in I-Lok and download the individual installers. I tried Softube Central and it was a mess (I am on Windows and it is still in Beta) so I went straight back to individual downloads for the plugins.

In my experience Softube's plugins are amazing but their support not so great. However I find wanting their plugins outweighs this at least so far for me.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
I'm not trading my D Command for console 1 anytime soon.
I don’t think that’s the intention- but for me, where I was using only a mouse and someone’s my x-touch when I’d remember, console 1 plus x-touch gives me the workflow I want.

I’d love a d command type system, although I don’t use protools, but deep integration like that would be great.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post

I use it with logic with no issue. The only thing c1 doesn’t do in logic is select the logic track, but I do that with my x-touch anyway. I kind of like having the c1 able to do its thing separate from the logic track anyway. When you change track order in logic, those changes reflect in console 1, as do track names. If you want your stereo out last, make tracks for your fx so they appear in the order you want, or just leave them if that doesn’t matter to you. I was doing that as a matter of course anyway before having console 1.

As for uad, I use the harrison eq with it and it wirks great, and the LA2A and 1176 map in a way that makes sense. It’s a little different, but when you use it you get used to it pretty quickly. I do fine with the drive knob at 5 on most tracks along with true iron on every channel prior to console 1, I’m using a lot less compression anyway.

Last edited by mrufino1; 14th August 2020 at 07:31 PM..
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
That's why you don't find many third party developers with products for it. They all tend to go the Kontakt route...
https://www.native-instruments.com/e...-user-library/

Literally thousands of Reaktor user made Reaktor content
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
https://www.native-instruments.com/e...-user-library/

Literally thousands of Reaktor user made Reaktor content
I was talking about Kontakt over Halion.
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear

Free Waves MaxxVolume
https://www.waves.com/account/maxxvolume-free
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
Got it all ready and it is absolutely amazing! The Big Bro of MV2.
📝 Reply