The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Would Halion be worth it for a Kontakt/Komplete owner? They are offering a $125 price, it's intriguing.
Halion and Kontakt are very different directions.
I have both.
I use Kontakt mostly for the samples.
Halion comes with a lighter stock library of sounds but for me I see it mainly as an amazing and astounding open sound design and even plugin design Plattform.
You can build your own instruments and guis.
And it's has very good sounding modules.
So it's up to your needs and wants.
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
Halion comes with a lighter stock library of sounds but for me I see it mainly as an amazing and astounding open sound design and even plugin design Plattform.
You can build your own instruments and guis.
You can do this also in Kontakt. And there is a vast ecosystem of such instruments built by others.

Is it (significantly) easier to do in Halion? Or otherwise a superior experience (better looking gui, etc.?)

As a Kontakt owner I'm so far not seeing anything to tempt me to spend $125 (which is no small sum) on Halion.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange loop View Post
You can do this also in Kontakt. And there is a vast ecosystem of such instruments built by others.

Is it (significantly) easier to do in Halion? Or otherwise a superior experience (better looking gui, etc.?)

As a Kontakt owner I'm so far not seeing anything to tempt me to spend $125 (which is no small sum) on Halion.
honestly i use kontakt right now mainly and shape the sound with several vst plugins afterwards.

for me halion has a emphasis on designing your own instruments.
and its structure is very very open. which makes it not easy to get a start into it.
it takes some time to get into it, but its worth.

is there a demo?
if yes you should try it before buy.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
honestly i use kontakt right now mainly and shape the sound with several vst plugins afterwards.

for me halion has a emphasis on designing your own instruments.
and its structure is very very open. which makes it not easy to get a start into it.
it takes some time to get into it, but its worth.

is there a demo?
if yes you should try it before buy.

ps. halion is not only a sampler. its a synth, too. with different synthesis modules
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Maniac

If I want to design synths I have Reaktor. If I want to design sample based instruments I have Kontakt.

Sounds like Halion may be a good deal for people who don't have Kontakt and/or Reaktor. I'll be skipping it.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange loop View Post
If I want to design synths I have Reaktor. If I want to design sample based instruments I have Kontakt.

Sounds like Halion may be a good deal for people who don't have Kontakt and/or Reaktor. I'll be skipping it.
That's why you don't find many third party developers with products for it. They all tend to go the Kontakt route...
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

I used my $25 voucher and picked up the Ampeg B-15N. I have the SVT-VR from before.

I'm not a bass player, though I do have a bass that hangs on my wall, mostly for decoration. I also don't have any hardware bass amps, so these plugins will suit me just fine. The last time I picked up my bass, I had blisters for days. Maybe I should buy a box of band-aids and I'll test out my Ampegs one day.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBX-80 View Post
I used my $25 voucher and picked up the Ampeg B-15N. I have the SVT-VR from before.

I'm not a bass player, though I do have a bass that hangs on my wall, mostly for decoration. I also don't have any hardware bass amps, so these plugins will suit me just fine. The last time I picked up my bass, I had blisters for days. Maybe I should buy a box of band-aids and I'll test out my Ampegs one day.
I find those bass amp simulations very useful for synth bass. I have quite a few bass amp simulations for that reason, even though I don't even own a bass guitar.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBX-80 View Post

I hardly ever use my Bass Amps nowadays because I store them in a back room and they are so heavy it's just easier to quickly lay down a bass line DI and then use an amps sim/DI mix etc.

Either that or use one of my bass plugins.
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
That's why you don't find many third party developers with products for it. They all tend to go the Kontakt route...
One of the main reasons I forked out £180 for Kontakt was the availability of quality and unusual third party instruments. I don't really use it for my own samples - those are either loops I use as clips or one shots I throw into an Ableton drum rack.

But I do like the idea that if I wanted to get into design it's got what I need.
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Nut

I've had the Behringer X touch for a week now and I feel silly for not getting real faders years ago - makes mixing so much quicker & somehow makes it easier to listen vs watching the screen.

Hope you enjoy the faderport!
Old 11th August 2020
X-Touch One here. Works great with both Pro Tools and Logic.
Old 11th August 2020
trg
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock View Post
X-Touch One here. Works great with both Pro Tools and Logic.
Same here, have had it for one day now. Like the build quality, and the colorful lights The jog wheel is a bit on the hard side to turn, but nothing I couldn't get used to...
Besides setting it up and playing around, though, I haven't done any mixing yet.

EDIT: I use it with Reaper. The labels on the sticker overlay aren't printed as clearly and boldly as on the device itself, so a bit hard to read in some lighting conditions. But I really like the LCD and LED displays
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
I have been looking to get some faders as well. Did anything contribute to your particular choice? I have been looking at Softube's one.

Cheers.
It was pretty much a straight choice between the X touch and Faderport since they're both at basically the same price point, but 1; pan pots on each channel are useful to me, and as rotary encoders I've mapped them to some oft-used plugins and 2; there were simply more user reviews/ discussion threads here so I felt like I got into it knowing and accepting the common annoyances (jerky faders in S1 and a slightly wobbly transport wheel, neither of which annoy me particularly)

I think I'd have been happy with both! With a mouse, I can't help but waste mental energy looking at the fader setting. With faders under fingers, I can close my eyes and balance multiple tracks at once, or sweep a filter with the mouse while pulling a track up and down in the mix to see where it wants to belong...
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
I find those bass amp simulations very useful for synth bass. I have quite a few bass amp simulations for that reason, even though I don't even own a bass guitar.
Same thing happens quite often in the hardware realm of things too.
Old 11th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by trg View Post
Same here, have had it for one day now. Like the build quality, and the colorful lights The jog wheel is a bit on the hard side to turn, but nothing I couldn't get used to...
Besides setting it up and playing around, though, I haven't done any mixing yet.

EDIT: I use it with Reaper. The labels on the sticker overlay aren't printed as clearly and boldly as on the device itself, so a bit hard to read in some lighting conditions. But I really like the LCD and LED displays
There's a tweak for the knob. It's a little tight initially, but can be adjusted. Just Google it... I can't remember the specifics.
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

The industry reviews of the NEOLD V76U73 are glowing.

"Big sound... mojo... great harmonics..."

Man, I think I just gotta have this puppy.
Old 12th August 2020
trg
Gear Addict
Quote:
There's a tweak for the knob. It's a little tight initially, but can be adjusted. Just Google it... I can't remember the specifics.
Found it out yesterday by experimenting: you can lift the knob from the encoder, then put something small in the knob's hole where the encoder shaft goes. That lifts the knob from the plastic case and voilà: works much better if knob and case don't touch!
Thanks anyway!
Old 12th August 2020
trg
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
The industry reviews of the NEOLD V76U73 are glowing.

"Big sound... mojo... great harmonics..."

Man, I think I just gotta have this puppy.
There's no other way, MM
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodic dreamer View Post
It's awesome.

I have a folder full of BX channel strips and compressors. Love their SSL, N-Channel, and most of all the Lindell 80's. I also had at different times the X-Touch and the FaderPort. I couldn't bond with either. To big and clunky and felt cheap.

I finally decided to by a Console-1 around 4-months ago. Two months later I got Console's Fader. Although I loved BX's channel strips, I never use them anymore. I absolutely love Console-1. I have cut my mix time in half. The main thing is I enjoy mixing more. Using Console-1 has helped me think outside of the mouse and use my ears more than my eyes.

Also... It sounds freaking good.
Im round about 2 month in C1 and a few weeks I have also the Softube Fader.

Really thinking of selling most of my other Plugins! Will hold on a little bit more, but I really love the workflow. I use much less Plugins and im much faster.
Old 12th August 2020
HSi
Lives for gear

Anyone tried the new Telefunken one yet?
Old 12th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by trg View Post
Found it out yesterday by experimenting: you can lift the knob from the encoder, then put something small in the knob's hole where the encoder shaft goes. That lifts the knob from the plastic case and voilà: works much better if knob and case don't touch!
Thanks anyway!
I seriously think I just pulled it up a bit and that worked fine... but I don’t specifically remember.

Anyway, glad you’ve got it working more smoothly. It’s a great unit for the price. I wish banks would automatically switch in Pro Tools; but other than that I’m satisfied with it. I mainly just want the single fader and the transport controls.
Old 12th August 2020
trg
Gear Addict
Quote:
I seriously think I just pulled it up a bit and that worked fine... but I don’t specifically remember.
That's what I did, but it tends to slip back down during use, so I added some paper crumbs to prevent that.

Yeah, so far I like it. Had an Alpha Track before, and the build quality and functionality is sooo much better. Will see about the fader noise with automation, as some people complain about that.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Maniac
I've seen that sometimes folks around here offer to trade their $25 voucher code for a $75 code but I don't know if anyone does it?

It might make sense depending on which tier you are in though I suppose.

PM me if you would like to exchange. My $25 voucher for your $75 voucher for August.
Old 12th August 2020
trg
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
Anyone tried the new Telefunken one yet?
I'd be interested to know how it holds up against the Arturia... well, the preamp anyway.
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

I all ready own it but noticed for those who don't that IK Multimedia's Amplitube SVX is being given away for free over the next couple of weeks at the Audioplugin.deals website. Definitely worth having for free imo.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
I all ready own it but noticed for those who don't that IK Multimedia's Amplitube SVX is being given away for free over the next couple of weeks at the Audioplugin.deals website. Definitely worth having for free imo.
Amplitube came back to bite me, in a good way. I wrote it off a decade ago, but now it's one of my favorite amp sims. It can get uglier than most software dares to go, which is why I am drawn to it. But yeah, take it for free certainly.
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

I will swap my 50 voucher for anything. And I also still have some wastepaper in the kitchen, I'm open to offers.
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Really digging this Acme Opto
Old 13th August 2020
trg
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf LeProducer View Post
Really digging this Acme Opto
I should dig it out, undust it, and give it another try. Haven't really warmed up to its color back when I tried to use it on different material...
What do you use it on?
📝 Reply