The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Punishment View Post
As opposed to people on GearSlutz whining they had to pay a few dollars extra for some plugin?

First, I'd like to disabuse you of the notion that "profit" is a dirty word. So PA's original business model didn't sync to their popularity when they discovered the first axiom of business -- "grow or die". As it turns out, skilled developers in this field aren't as plentiful as, say, people who can make mud pies. Shocking, I know. PA also discovered that talented plugin developers are in pretty high demand (it is a very specialized and highly perishable skill), so in that respect it's a seller's market.

Second, you get what you pay for. IMO PA's plugins are some of the best, and I'm happy to pay a few extra $$$ to insure PA is around to provide (and update) them in the future.
Agree with most, except "grow or die". Not always true and can sometimes lead to the antithesis.
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Guru

Would Halion be worth it for a Kontakt/Komplete owner? They are offering a $125 price, it's intriguing.
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Would Halion be worth it for a Kontakt/Komplete owner? They are offering a $125 price, it's intriguing.
Halion is mainly if you want to design. Halion Sonic is sufficient if using as a virtual instrument imo. I am a long time Cubase user since version 4 so I get the lesser included version of Halion Sonic. TBH I hardly use it.
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
I have both, but never ever use Hallion, except for times when I need to open and edit a session of someone else (which is rare also).

The specs on paper are awesome. To me, it's not inspiring and I hate the GUI and relatively long loading times. The whole thing just feels dated to me.

But different people, different tastes. I good friend of mine just loves Hallion and uses it on every production.
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would pass on this one...
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

D16 Nepheton for $29 worth it, anyone?

I ask 'cause it's, like, 15 years old or something...
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post

I would pass on this one...
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks man.

I've been aware of it since its release all those years ago, but I'm thinking that these days one might expect more in the way of processing options. I'm thinking of distortion and whatnot for the kick, mainly.

The "sudden" sale price makes me wonder if D16 has a big update it's ready to drop that'll make the old version redundant.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks man.

The "sudden" sale price makes me wonder if D16 has a big update it's ready to drop that'll make the old version redundant.
It certainly needs a resizeable GUI and I can't see them not doing that in some form or other.
Old 8th August 2020
trg
Gear Addict
Quote:

The sound for my ears is right there, love it! But I'm still trying to get my head around d16 VIs. They are not exactly intuitive IMHO, all of them classic boxes...
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks man.

I've been aware of it since its release all those years ago, but I'm thinking that these days one might expect more in the way of processing options. I'm thinking of distortion and whatnot for the kick, mainly.

The Roland Cloud version is already better and still has a lot of room for improvement...
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks man.

It’s 808 day.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

So you're gonna grab it then, Vito?
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Tried it a while back and didn't think it sounded nearly as good as the samples I was using. Might be good for $29, though.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Yeah, that's part of the dilemma for me, mate, along with the "limited" functionality.

It's the convenience factor that almost sucked me in 'though...
Old 9th August 2020
What Plugin alliance seems to be missing is a big graphic utility mixer like Ozone, Equillibrium, ProQ 3 etc. Brainworx makes some nice utility EQs like digital V3 but it's still really all knob based. I use lots of analog modeled EQs and the PA ones are awesome but I like sometimes to just go with a very precise graphic interface on it's own or on top of an analog modeled EQ. I'm used to using Ozone for this but I have switched studios I work at and I don't have it now.

I subbed to PA alliance mix and master bundle and it's really great but doesnt seem to have anything like that. I also subbed to Slate Digital partly to get the Infinity EQ. I do like the Infinity Eq. It comes close but it's lacking some things. It doesn't have vertical zoom so I'm stuck looking in the middle 10th of it's generous full screen gui. Also it doesn't display band info all one time at the bottom like the others are able to. I believe Slate will add these features at some point, but for now It looks like I'm going to have to get Ozone because it's on sale.

With what Brainworks is capable of I'm really surprised they don't have something like that or there's no big gui graphic mode on something they have. There's not a big graphic eq on anything from plugin alliance that I can find anyway. I'm really surprised.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Hi guys. I'm getting a 75 last voucher since 2 month. Before I got 25 or so. Does anybody know on what the height of it is based? Is it how many you spent before or how many plugins you already own. So does it stay on 75? Or will it go down again? Thanks a lot.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
What Plugin alliance seems to be missing is a big graphic utility mixer like Ozone, Equillibrium, ProQ 3 etc. Brainworx makes some nice utility EQs like digital V3 but it's still really all knob based. I use lots of analog modeled EQs and the PA ones are awesome but I like sometimes to just go with a very precise graphic interface on it's own or on top of an analog modeled EQ. I'm used to using Ozone for this but I have switched studios I work at and I don't have it now.
I got Ozone 8 practically for free in some "Elements" package, and month by month it seems the EQ has a lot of value with its rich settings (analog, digital, all kinds of EQ type, and 8 sections..).
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear
Flangers are just some flangers, or they have a signature sound.
In hardware, I remember one of the Roland models, and the Electro Harmonix.
In software, I think the PA version has its signature sound too.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post

I subbed to PA alliance mix and master bundle and it's really great but doesnt seem to have anything like that. I also subbed to Slate Digital partly to get the Infinity EQ. I do like the Infinity Eq. It comes close but it's lacking some things. It doesn't have vertical zoom so I'm stuck looking in the middle 10th of it's generous full screen gui. Also it doesn't display band info all one time at the bottom like the others are able to. I believe Slate will add these features at some point, but for now It looks like I'm going to have to get Ozone because it's on sale.

With what Brainworks is capable of I'm really surprised they don't have something like that or there's no big gui graphic mode on something they have. There's not a big graphic eq on anything from plugin alliance that I can find anyway. I'm really surprised.

U could always use hawkeye to check.

Or buy the really great Crave EQ. worth any penny.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Today's offer is the Ampeg B-15N and it's priced perfectly for those of us with a $25 voucher .

99% of the time I like to DI Bass using a character compressor for tone shaping but I would like to find a Bass amp that I actually like to use .
I'll definitely demo this one.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling View Post
worth any penny.
Only one?
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Only one?
Or a few more
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Man View Post
Today's offer is the Ampeg B-15N and it's priced perfectly for those of us with a $25 voucher .

99% of the time I like to DI Bass using a character compressor for tone shaping but I would like to find a Bass amp that I actually like to use .
I'll definitely demo this one.
Just grab it. The B15N is one of the best plugins ever. Between that and the Ampeg VR, I’m able to cover all my bass needs.

For a great character comp, check out the Softube Summit comp. it kills on bass. I send the amp sims and the DI to the Summit in parallel and it’s a great bass chain.
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Just grab it. The B15N is one of the best plugins ever. Between that and the Ampeg VR, I’m able to cover all my bass needs.

For a great character comp, check out the Softube Summit comp. it kills on bass. I send the amp sims and the DI to the Summit in parallel and it’s a great bass chain.
Second that, the B15N is awesome sounding.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

I was torn between getting Unisum and Leapwing StageOne on sales or getting PA Mega Deal for a year up front to get the voucher. I have been trying a load of PA plugins that I hadn't yet tested out for fear of liking them too much and now I have gone and done it. Going to subscribe and hopefully I'll be able to pick up the plugins I really like when the sales are on with the voucher.

Sorry if this has been asked all ready but will I still receive my voucher each month when on subscription as I will probably still try and pick up the bargains along the way in case I end the subscription after a year or two...

Cheers.
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Head

Forgive my ignorance but how does B-15N compare to say the VR & Fuse's F-59? Gonna check the demo in a moment but unfortunately don't have a bass here to feel how it actually plays.

Super tempting at the $25 tier where I sit currently. Most of what I want from PA either isn't out yet, won't go on sale cheap enough for my taste, will somehow go "too cheap" or I already own. Not complaining, the opposite actually. Like many others here (& thanks to many, in fact), I have gotten my fair share of plug in deals over the past few years. To the point where I now have virtually every tool I'd want to use plus a bunch I could probably sell off & not really miss.

Has anyone ever traded plugs btw? Seems a worthwhile avenue to explore, given you can find a reputable trading partner...bartering to avoid some of the paypal fees, exchange rates & whatnot. Probably a lot more common on kvr, just an assumption as I've never really gelled with the layout over there (also waste enough time on here as it is!).
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Maniac

As a bass player the B15 is seriously lacking compared to the SVT. Even with my voucher I’m gonna save the 15 bucks and time spent trying to dial in a tone I want.
Old 10th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling View Post
U could always use hawkeye to check.

Or buy the really great Crave EQ. worth any penny.
It's not the spectrum analyzer that's what I need from a big graphic UI just the speed and preciseness but also just helping visualize the curves. My eyesight is getting worse. The new Amek 200 is as close as I've seen to a big graphic EQ with the size of the interface knobs and features. Unfortunately it's black on black design makes it hard for me to see quickly for precise quick actions. It's also still less featured than a graphic.

I had never heard of the Crave EQ. It looks nice. It's $69 for it which is fair but Ozone standard is just $99 right now which is an awesome price and I will probably buy it. Paying for a "mix and master" sub every month from PA which is supposed to have everything you need, I would expect a ProQ 3, Equillibrium, Ozone, Crave, style EQ to be part of that and not have to buy anything. I'm sure it's a matter of time till they come up with something.

I do sub to Slate Digital too, and the infinity EQ is close but not all there on features for me yet. (no vertical zoom, no easy way to type in values) I think companies are starting to realize that although analog style EQs were/are all the rage, their interfaces are primitive compared to whats possible and people actually do want modern interfaces too to use in conjunction or instead of analog style. Personally I'd like to see a modern graphic that has all the bells and whistles but can also emulate tons of analog gear in tone and band types. The old URS Channel strip pro was awesome as a chameleon so imagine something like that in a graphic EQ. Brainworks can do it awesome. Just use their various modeled EQ and circuitry technology and stick a great graphic UI on it and let you switch circuitry models. It would be a huge seller/draw.

Last edited by StarfishMusic; 13th August 2020 at 09:06 AM..
Old 10th August 2020
trg
Gear Addict
Quote:
Only one?
Please forgive us non-English-speakers for not getting all the subtleties of your language...
📝 Reply