The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I would have upgraded if it was $75 ($25 with my $50) but $100 just feels like I bought something a week ago that is immediately outdated and I'm being asked to buy again, and it'll surely be on sale for $50 in a couple of months time.

I feel like most other companies would give this as a free update, is it recoded from the ground up?

Kind of annoyed, I guess I could try and sell green version for $25.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
I would have upgraded if it was $75 ($25 with my $50) but $100 just feels like I bought something a week ago that is immediately outdated and I'm being asked to buy again, and it'll surely be on sale for $50 in a couple of months time.

I feel like most other companies would give this as a free update, is it recoded from the ground up?

Kind of annoyed, I guess I could try and sell green version for $25.
You could easily do that tbh....but once you sold it you wouldn’t get the discounted price for already having green :p
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy_Rider View Post
You could easily do that tbh....but once you sold it you wouldn’t get the discounted price for already having green :p
lol maybe sell it after buying red?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
lol maybe sell it after buying red?
I know...that was the joke
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

lol I thought you were being a real idiot
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

To pay $129 to get it isn't bad but to pay almost $100 to upgrade seems a tad insulting really innit.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempsperdu View Post
To pay $129 to get it isn't bad but to pay almost $100 to upgrade seems a tad insulting really innit.
Indeed it does. Especially for those of us who'd just bought the SHMC last month.

I'm getting flashbacks of the G Console which also got its (SSL approved) up-grade right after I purchased it.

Adding insult to injury + 21% VAT

Bollocks!

T
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I know I’m in the minority here but what’s so attractive about it in the first place? If you already have SHMC it’s a very similar unit. Might as well pick up something different for the toolbox if you ask me.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
If you say it like that I agree. I to feel it is more an upgrade. On the other hand we all get vouchers.

I paid 30,- euro’s for it and I’m ok with that.
Used the green on every song I made since I got it. Now I probably use 1 of the 2 on every song.

The new snappiness and the extra controls add a new flavor to it what is useful for me.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
I know I’m in the minority here but what’s so attractive about it in the first place? If you already have SHMC it’s a very similar unit. Might as well pick up something different for the toolbox if you ask me.
I'm inclined to agree but then some of us bought it less than a week before the new version and would certainly not have bought it if we'd have known. Say a $50 upgrade would have been OK but for buyers only to get it $30 cheaper than non buyers doesn't really feel like a totally fair approach.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Just bought the SHMC CA $24.99

They have added 99¢
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

They have added 99¢
That extra 99 cents has been on a lot of their plugins these last few months. I know I railed about why don't they just call it the next whole dollar which would make it $100 even for those who own the first version. Then after I wrote that I remember the thing about what's called the 'marketing penny'. It's a psychological ploy to make it seem like you're paying less. "Hey I just got this for under a hundred bucks" Just like when you go to a gas station here in the US and the indicated prices are never in whole pennies but something like $2.495 per gallon.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
'A tad insulting' doesn't begin to describe how I feel especially for those that just got it in December. Does anybody have an idea of how long the 'if you have the original you can get the new version for $100' deal lasts?

I just tried an experiment. Logged in to my PA account and added the new version to my cart from the product page and at checkout it showed $99.99 as it should. I deleted it from my cart and went to 'manage my registered plugins' and added the new SHMC version from one of the plugins that says I'm eligible for the new version at a discounted price. I chose Townhouse and added the new SHMC from there. In my cart is showed as $129.99. Two different prices - weird ain't it? The moral of this is be wary of how you add the new SHMC to your cart - you may be overpaying.

I'm still demoing it and while it's an interesting flavor and I'm revising what I wrote earlier. While it does have some much needed tools I'm finding the tweaks I have to make to presets I made for the original to work like I need them to work in the new red version are getting tiresome. I'm not sure I like the hyped high end on red all that much on a 'mastering' compressor. An interesting thing for someone to do if they have Plugin Doctor is to run the two versions through it and see what's up with the frequency response differences between the two.
Old 1 week ago
trg
Gear Maniac
Quote:

They have added 99¢
It's not nice to change the announced price, but I think the 99 cents are fantastic with the new minimum order values the have set up. It's hard to combine plugins to get to the minimum value otherwise. $49 plus $49 would be $98 and not the required $99 for the voucher.
Old 1 week ago
trg
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Does anybody have an idea of how long the 'if you have the original you can get the new version for $100' deal lasts?
All the other upgrade/crossgrade offers from previous purchases are there forever. I can still get MagnumK or TRIAD for the announced prices as owner of Opticom or BYOME.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Attic View Post
Indeed it does. Especially for those of us who'd just bought the SHMC last month.

I'm getting flashbacks of the G Console which also got its (SSL approved) up-grade right after I purchased it.

Adding insult to injury + 21% VAT

Bollocks!

T
and if that is not enough, it will be $50 for everybody in a year.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I thought the complaining was over for a while.

But it is never ok in this thread.

Not cheap enough, not this, not that. Now complaining about 99cents ... come on people.
Old 1 week ago
trg
Gear Maniac
I wasn't complaining, quite the contrary. I do understand that a company has to make business to stay in business. I wouldn't want my plugin companies to go belly up: no updates, no support. Wasted money basically... And no company can give away most of their plugins for $4 and stay afloat.
So, it's all fine with me. It's probably just that PA has fired up expectations over the past year that are disappointed now, hence all the whining. And their policies seem a bit chaotic.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg View Post
I wasn't complaining, quite the contrary. I do understand that a company has to make business to stay in business. I wouldn't want my plugin companies to go belly up: no updates, no support. Wasted money basically... And no company can give away most of their plugins for $4 and stay afloat.
So, it's all fine with me. It's probably just that PA has fired up expectations over the past year that are disappointed now, hence all the whining. And their policies seem a bit chaotic.

I agree, they also disappointed me when they changed to subscription. And I also complained back then. But some of us are still not over it, it seems?

Every plugin that is over 29,- is to much for some of us. Because in the past they were 29,-
Old 1 week ago
trg
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt9 View Post
And I also complained back then.
I, too, did my share of the complaining, maybe even whining a bit. That's the thing with disappointed expectations...
On the other hand, I'd like to pay less for great plugins, of course. It's just not how the world works. Someone has to do the work, or pay for it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt9 View Post
I thought the complaining was over for a while.

But it is never ok in this thread.

Not cheap enough, not this, not that. Now complaining about 99cents ... come on people.
Yet here you are complaining about the complaining.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
Yet here you are complaining about the complaining.
Well, I can not deny that. (I was waiting for that comment to be honest) But we all know there is a difference here, in complaining and Complaining.

Maybe it is just time to UNPARTICIPATE again :-P
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Maybe we should just back to promoting other companies
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Maybe we should just back to promoting other companies
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Wow, complaining? On the internet? Now I've seen it all.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyscode View Post
and if that is not enough, it will be $50 for everybody in a year.
Given in theory our quoted prices should remain the same as they are at present, unless it proves itself a must have perhaps we all should wait.... or get Pulsar Mu when it comes on offer again.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think the intro and update price is quite reasonable given the UAD pricing of the original SHMC. The extra features through the TMT Panel are actually good and have been largely overlooked in this thread, I would happily pay to upgrade the original version with those features after trying them out on the SPL iron.

The biggest problem is price uncertainty and stability, on the UAD platform that is quite predictable but is more of a moving target with Plugin alliance. If you can use this in your workflow now then it’s worth buying, but adding it to fully stocked system with more plugins that you know what to do with, then hold out for further discounts.

The current pricing in UAD would be considered a bargain but we have been spoilt by great deals on plugin alliance that makes this look expensive.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
'A tad insulting' doesn't begin to describe how I feel especially for those that just got it in December. Does anybody have an idea of how long the 'if you have the original you can get the new version for $100' deal lasts?

I just tried an experiment. Logged in to my PA account and added the new version to my cart from the product page and at checkout it showed $99.99 as it should. I deleted it from my cart and went to 'manage my registered plugins' and added the new SHMC version from one of the plugins that says I'm eligible for the new version at a discounted price. I chose Townhouse and added the new SHMC from there. In my cart is showed as $129.99. Two different prices - weird ain't it? The moral of this is be wary of how you add the new SHMC to your cart - you may be overpaying.

I'm still demoing it and while it's an interesting flavor and I'm revising what I wrote earlier. While it does have some much needed tools I'm finding the tweaks I have to make to presets I made for the original to work like I need them to work in the new red version are getting tiresome. I'm not sure I like the hyped high end on red all that much on a 'mastering' compressor. An interesting thing for someone to do if they have Plugin Doctor is to run the two versions through it and see what's up with the frequency response differences between the two.
People actually reported a HF roll off on the Class A version.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
People actually reported a HF roll off on the Class A version.
Have these people run it through Plugin Doctor or is that just by ear? I ask because I don't have Plugin Doctor and even with age-related high frequency loss I'm hearing more high end than in the original version. Either that or there's a drop in the low end in the new version.

edit for additional:
I just ran some tests using BlueCat Frequency Analyst Multi and while it doesn't get as involved as PD I did see something interesting - there is quite a difference between the two versions through out the frequency spectrum. Enough that they don't null no matter how much I try and gain match each version. How much TMT has to do with this I don't know.

Last edited by musicman691; 1 week ago at 09:48 PM.. Reason: Did some testing between the 2 versions
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
I hear the red version as being brighter too. I suspect from my ear tests that the red version is generally “hotter” in the sense of generating stronger harmonics. I also noticed that the discrete section can distort the transients of kicks in a way that the green version just doesn’t seem to.

Interestingly the two coders responsible for the green version are not credited at all in the red version, with only one engineer being credited for the code in the red version.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search