The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?
Old 14th December 2019
Gear Guru

I am not surprised at all. Every plugin is unto itself a processor with a sound, that some person might fully appreciate, or not. I was sort of wondering when I would find the right itch to scratch with Black 76. I think I might have even used the IK "mic room" or whatever the other day, so what the hell.
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.m.junior View Post
Their installer may be a PITA due to the file size and the "all or nothing" approach for some (many?) users, but skipping their take on the 1176 for free based on these - let me say - prejudices is crazy, really.
I hear you, Peter.

I guess it depends on how much the all-or-nothing approach annoys you. I had to draw the line on such things a long time ago, so it'd take a whole-lotta incredible plugins that I feel I need to entice me into an ecosystem / signup / superfluous-file installation.

With the addition of the MC77 yesterday after a long wait for it to go on special, I'll be forgetting about 1176 emus now. If CLA Compressors, Slate and the PA stuff can't do it for me, there's definitely something wrong with me... which of course there is, but that's besides the point... sorta...
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

MC77 and Black Box are both worth the 70$ price.

What about Phil's Cascade? Althought I think I can get that for 50$ on normal months with a voucher.

I haven't seen many Ampeg amps on these sales. I was looking to buy the SVT for some time now.
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Addict

I found Phill Cascade too limited. vintagey but in a limited way.
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Head

Every thing is worth everything at the time of usage, imo.
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Maniac

if you still have some monies left Harrison has a new AVA spectral compressor and it is 50% off for 49$

comparable to DSM V3 or sonible smart:comp it seems. I have both so I will skip it for now. Simple Serial-Key DRM.

https://harrisonconsolesstore.onfast...c-offer-2-jx3f

Harrison launches AVA Spectral Compressor plugin - multi-multi band compressor
Old 15th December 2019
Here for the gear
Does anybody have an opinion on the NoiseAsh, "Need 31102 Console EQ" (reg $159, sale $59)?
https://www.noiseash.com/need-31102-console-eq/

I downloaded the demo, but between work and family, I haven't had time to test it out yet.
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

I did the oberhausen trial recently. Liked it a lot. However, it wouldn't remember the last preset it was on when loading the track on Waveform.

Is this because it was a trial or is there a coding bug?

It's definitely worth $50... Unless I can't use it. Might just wait for Synapse Audio's version and decide next year.
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
I did the oberhausen trial recently. Liked it a lot. However, it wouldn't remember the last preset it was on when loading the track on Waveform.

Is this because it was a trial or is there a coding bug?

It's definitely worth $50... Unless I can't use it. Might just wait for Synapse Audio's version and decide next year.
Save your money. There are several issues with Oberhausen not to mention the one you're talking about. It also doesn't remember such mundane things like cc7 for volume when you switch patches - it's not global but per patch and from what I've been told by PA support that's by design. AND you have to program it in in every patch as none of the factory patches have cc7 assigned to overall volume. That makes me think your issue is by design as well. If you want a really good Oberheim try Arturia's one.
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Addict

Well, I took the $49 plunge on bx_oberhausen.

My thinking is that even with the reported "issues", I can part with $49 a lot sooner than I can $249. And since these guys will address the issues, I'm good...
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Punishment View Post
Well, I took the $49 plunge on bx_oberhausen.

My thinking is that even with the reported "issues", I can part with $49 a lot sooner than I can $249. And since these guys will address the issues, I'm good...
They may address the issues but they won't necessarily fix them. As I wrote I was told by support that what we're seeing is by design an they don't see anything wrong with it as it is.
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

I too can get bx_oberhausen for $49
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwave View Post
Does anybody have an opinion on the NoiseAsh, "Need 31102 Console EQ" (reg $159, sale $59)?
https://www.noiseash.com/need-31102-console-eq/

I downloaded the demo, but between work and family, I haven't had time to test it out yet.
Haven't had much time with it yet, but if it's as good as their Pultec plugin, it's an instant-buy for me.
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Addict

I found their Pultec too muddy compared to Softube TT or AA Purple.
Old 16th December 2019
Lives for gear

Been waiting many months for Oberhausen to go on a decent sale, and this one is surely-decent, but having followed Jack's critiques since the get-go, I suddenly find that now that the scene is perfectly-set, I'm going to let this one go.

In a world where many of us have too many plugins already, I'm finding it difficult to justify plunking down for something that threatens to break my creative flow with awkward inefficiencies.

Bummer, 'cause it sounds fantastic to me. I'll surely grab it if most or all of the anomalous behaviour is cleaned up one day.
Old 16th December 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyscode View Post
if you still have some monies left Harrison has a new AVA spectral compressor and it is 50% off for 49$

comparable to DSM V3 or sonible smart:comp it seems. I have both so I will skip it for now. Simple Serial-Key DRM.

https://harrisonconsolesstore.onfast...c-offer-2-jx3f

Harrison launches AVA Spectral Compressor plugin - multi-multi band compressor
I have the normal Multiband and like it a lot Harrison makes very natural sounding plug ins that do no harm. Their support in unreal even over a weekend response almost immediate. I don't know when those guys sleep....
Old 16th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Been waiting many months for Oberhausen to go on a decent sale, and this one is surely-decent, but having followed Jack's critiques since the get-go, I suddenly find that now that the scene is perfectly-set, I'm going to let this one go.

In a world where many of us have too many plugins already, I'm finding it difficult to justify plunking down for something that threatens to break my creative flow with awkward inefficiencies.

Bummer, 'cause it sounds fantastic to me. I'll surely grab it if most or all of the anomalous behaviour is cleaned up one day.
What are the issues with it?

I didn't feel I needed it last time I tried it but this time I've spent some more time with it and feel I'm getting more into territory not covered by my other synths.

Thinking I might grab it.
Old 16th December 2019
Gear Maniac
What are the issues on bx_oberhausen? There was a issue where it was not saving reverb settings, but it was fixed in the last update

I would buy it if I was not already broken
Old 16th December 2019
Gear Maniac
from november latest update:

bx_oberhausen

Fixed no sound in Studio One AU Fixed crash in Digital Performer 9
Fixed crash when closing editor while "Save Preset As" Dialog is open
Fixed preset management categories not being sorted
Fixed possible issues with preset management and plugin states
Fixed possible unresponsiveness when creating a new preset
Fixed issue where the favorite status was not always correctly reflected
Fixed reverb damping not being saved
Fixed undo/redo inconsistencies
Fixed some minor UI issues Improved NKS for controller support
Old 16th December 2019
Lives for gear

I bought it...
Old 16th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltercruz View Post
What are the issues on bx_oberhausen? There was a issue where it was not saving reverb settings, but it was fixed in the last update

I would buy it if I was not already broken
That's not the only thing wrong with Oberhausen. Unlike most softsynths there is no global assignment for MIDI cc7 aka volume. You have to assign it for every patch and none of the factory patches have it so assigned. If you switch patches and haven't made the assignment AND saved that edit you lose volume control. That is fatal for a softsynth. And as Monkey Man says it's a workflow killer. Combine that with patches that aren't consistent in output level.

But at least Oberhausen has an output level assignment available unlike Lion. That doesn't and never will as the developer doesn't see the value in it.

While the sound is okay I like the SEM emulation that Arturia has. One thing their's doesn't have that PA's does is the TMT but that's irrelevant. But what the Arturia one has that PA's doesn't isn't support. Arturia is more likely to put out fixes for something AND you can actually get an intelligent response from their tech support.

Last edited by musicman691; 17th December 2019 at 02:18 AM.. Reason: changed MM to Monkey Man - sorry mate; also cporrected last paragraph about TMT
Old 16th December 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy_Rider View Post
I bought it...
You nasty little slut you....!
Old 16th December 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
That's not the only thing wrong with Oberhausen. Unlike most softsynths there is no global assignment for MIDI cc7 aka volume. You have to assign it for every patch and none of the factory patches have it so assigned.
thanks! this is very strange, quite a deal breaker.
Old 16th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltercruz View Post
thanks! this is very strange, quite a deal breaker.
the trial version also always lost my work, even if i saved it. even if i only used an existing preset. made it unusable except as a faux-hardware synth to "play" live and record.

sound-wise, it's a great synth. worth more than $50.

as a piece of software....

maybe it'll be fixed by the spring/summer sales timeframe
Old 17th December 2019
Gear Addict

Soniccouture have a sale on till Jan 3rd...... not as 'impressive' as the one they did recently with NI but useful non the less
Old 17th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempsperdu View Post
Soniccouture have a sale on till Jan 3rd...... not as 'impressive' as the one they did recently with NI but useful non the less
I'm loving the Electro-Acoustic drums, so nice for workflow and the room mics really help them feel natural in a mix. But yeah, the deal was better last time, I think I paid £59, now it's £89.
Old 17th December 2019
Lives for gear

I grabbed the bx oberheim, started making patches around the TMT and got some nice organic sounds I couldn't get with other synths, worth the £35, don't much like the interface though.

The issues with MIDI volume don't really effect me, don't really expect synths to have that.
Old 17th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
I grabbed the bx oberheim, started making patches around the TMT and got some nice organic sounds I couldn't get with other synths, worth the £35, don't much like the interface though.

The issues with MIDI volume don't really effect me, don't really expect synths to have that.
You still don't get it - having control over volume via MIDI is the norm for working with softsynths. At least Oberhausen has it unlike Lion which doesn't and never will have it. And don't give me that tired old thing of 'a piano doesn't have a volume control' thing either that you did before.

Don't see what the problem is with the interface - it's just like the Arturia Oberheim one. Functional.
Old 17th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
You still don't get it - having control over volume via MIDI is the norm for working with softsynths. At least Oberhausen has it unlike Lion which doesn't and never will have it. And don't give me that tired old thing of 'a piano doesn't have a volume control' thing either that you did before.

Don't see what the problem is with the interface - it's just like the Arturia Oberheim one. Functional.
Not everybody cares about the same functionality.
Old 17th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

what am I not getting? I understand what you're saying but I don't care if having control over volume via MIDI is the norm, it's not something I use so I don't care if it's there or not, what aren't you getting? Not everyone works with and plays instruments the same way, surely you get that.

Don't remember saying that about pianos, but I agree, I don't play synths like organs.

Interface - I don't like the modulation routing, effects being fake pedals and being tucked away in that specific way, I also just generally don't like PA's designs, they all look pretty dated straight from release like Waves.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search