The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

Think I’ll get the Rock Rack V3 and pay the 15 bucks...a lot going on in that plug for $15
Old 20th October 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
Agreed.

But then, these guys aren the only ones using sub frequency enhancing plugins. So there definitely has to be other reasons for it, as well. In part it's definitely the shift towards bass heavy music. It was never really a thing for a long time as vinyl was not capable or producing those frequencies. So for a long time less lows just became a standard that we accepted... until someone figured out what you could do with a digital medium. Possibly someone making dance music.

Now I think it's kind of redefining the standard for many styles, except maybe county and polka music.

It's certainly becoming very commonplace to use plugins like Submarine, or use some old-school work arounds to produce some similar results. I think it'll be around for many years. These plugins just make things faster and life easier for us.
10 years ago the limiting algorithms were the biggest bottle neck to today's LOUD. All this sub bass used to eat up way too much headroom in mixes but now that's really not a problem. I actually remember around when Slate FGX hit the scene then Pro L bass heavy music got much louder that year. So as someone said earlier "Subs on everything" is here to stay.
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
I realized yesterday that i could use a mastering style compressor to use in my masterinig chain before the limiter. I tried Millennia TCL opto but i could probably do better.

SPL Iron or Shadow Hills are on my wish list now.
I have both and the VSC, but Iron has been put at the top of my list.
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

i just want a mastering grade style compressor to help prepare the signal for whatever limiter i use, with good control and sound that feels right. i need to demo those and research them a bit more.
i heard VSC3 is great but it's too expensive and if its like VSC2 its not what i'm looking for relaly
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

I use the Elysia alpha compressor but that thing is weird. It sounds great but I've never had any other compressor that sounds like that. It's hard to describe. It's very good for mastering, I don't really understand why it sounds the way it does.
Old 20th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
i just want a mastering grade style compressor to help prepare the signal for whatever limiter i use, with good control and sound that feels right. i need to demo those and research them a bit more.
i heard VSC3 is great but it's too expensive and if its like VSC2 its not what i'm looking for relaly
check out PSP's Mastercomp. for an eq try their Q2 or if you really need to dive in deep check out Neon HR.
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

What's a "mastering grade style compressor"?
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy_Rider View Post
I have the E765 RT
Completely different sound then the VS646 - I have both of the Engls and they each have their best usage.
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora View Post
What's a "mastering grade style compressor"?
a compressor that is made to be used on an entire master

basically what happened was yesterday I was doing a master and i realized that i wanted to compress things mildly before moving them into the limiter. i needed specifically a compressor to treat the signal of the entire huge loud mix at that point in the chain. not just to treat vocals, or a guitar, or a drum bus, but an entire mix. so a compressor with a subtle effect

I don't know the technical side behind it, but I do know there are different sonic characteristics to each compressor and, some are better for certain things than others. sure I could just use MJUC or Pro-C but I like the idea of having the best tool for the job. this is something I'm going to be doing from now on in my master chain so I would like to have the best option to put in that position.

SPL Iron and Shadow Hills come to mind because from what I remember demoing Iron is that it's very subtle, more for that specific kind of a task. I'm not some professional engineer like people here that could tell you everything about it, but I do think those compressors are specifically made for that kind of a task of treating an entire track in a mastering situation. they aren't limiters they're adjustable compressors
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan99 View Post
Then don’t get anything. You don’t need anything else, really.
Ha - yeah but his dealer is offering him a really special price on some just-in, top-shelf sh*t. He's going to cave in this time round, but next time he's going be strong and say no, for sure.

Seriously though - too many plug-ins you don't even remember half of them exist, let alone bother to re-install them if you rebuild your DAW.

Plug-in Alliance do have a great installer though - shame that can't be said for most plug-in companies.
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLadder View Post
IMO KaraKter is a very good plugin,I use it often.It can be light saturation to nasty distortion.It's very good for natural limiting too.If you match the output peak values after Karakter 100% wet you can get insane loud levels!

Shortly you need experience with this plugin.Even on the lighter algorithm (without "Fet" nor "Turbo") with "Drive" at 0,it already lightly saturates your sound.It may add many harmonics when set 100% Drive,not just 2 or 3 like some plugins.
+ js1 and M Albazym- thanks for the helpful comments - I gave the plug-in another chance today, taking into account your feedback - boy do you have to dial this thing back if you don't want aggressive distortion - but much happier after doing so. Warming to it now.
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugol View Post
Ha - yeah but his dealer is offering him a really special price on some just-in, top-shelf sh*t. He's going to cave in this time round, but next time he's going be strong and say no, for sure.

Seriously though - too many plug-ins you don't even remember half of them exist, let alone bother to re-install them if you rebuild your DAW.

Plug-in Alliance do have a great installer though - shame that can't be said for most plug-in companies.
5 Bucks for an amp sim....Even if I use it once.....Cheaper than a Mcdonalds meal that makes you fat and clogs your arteries....
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
5 Bucks for an amp sim....Even if I use it once.....Cheaper than a Mcdonalds meal that makes you fat and clogs your arteries....
Absolutely (wow that's cheap) - it's no brainer ... and whilst I had no intention of buying Karacter - with the 48 hour offer and voucher they sent me - it was about £18 (UK Tax included).

So whilst I promised myself, no more plug-ins, it was just too much of a bargain to resist - even if I didn't actually need it (I already have Decapitator / PSP Audioware stuff / D16 stuff / PA VSM-3).

...and this was my point - if it's cheap enough - we justify it - and it ends up joining 100+ other plug-ins in the menu - and we don't even remember half or even 80% of them exist at the end of the day when we're actually producing/mixing.
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Absolutely (wow that's cheap) - it's no brainer ... and whilst I had no intention of buying Karacter - with the 48 hour offer and voucher they sent me - it was about £18 (UK Tax included).

So whilst I promised myself, no more plug-ins, it was just too much of a bargain to resist - even if I didn't actually need it (I already have Decapitator / PSP Audioware stuff / D16 stuff / PA VSM-3).

...and this was my point - if it's cheap enough - we justify it - and it ends up joining 100+ other plug-ins in the menu - and we don't even remember half or even 80% of them exist at the end of the day when we're actually producing/mixing.
Would you remember it more if it was 199 bucks?
Old 21st October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:

It's just that this guy showed us his list of PA plugins, that took almost a page, then he told us about the countless other plugins he bought during a single month on top of that from different companies. Then, he's still hesitating to get more?? That's totally insane...
Old 21st October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Would you remember it more if it was 199 bucks?
Many times i forget about Spiff wich is 150 euro and insert the $29 nvelope. So no it doesn't seem to make a difference :d
Old 21st October 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:

I'm telling u. P.A. giving u $25-$75 a month is like your dealer giving u freebies after your N.A. meeting. U don't even gotta pay for this one ... hook in ... GOT EM!!
Old 21st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's just that this guy showed us his list of PA plugins, that took almost a page, then he told us about the countless other plugins he bought during a single month on top of that from different companies. Then, he's still hesitating to get more?? That's totally insane...
Why?

Buying plugins is fun...I wouldrather spend 5 bucks on an amp sim than spend 10 bucks going to see a Marvel movie.....Spending 3 hours watching that nonsense is insane!

No ?
Old 21st October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Why?

Buying plugins is fun...I wouldrather spend 5 bucks on an amp sim than spend 10 bucks going to see a Marvel movie.....Spending 3 hours watching that nonsense is insane!

No ?
There's no problem to spend 5 bucks on an amp sim.

The difference is that I don't spend 1000$ in a year to watch Marvel movies...
Old 21st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
There's no problem to spend 5 bucks on an amp sim.

The difference is that I don't spend 1000$ in a year to watch Marvel movies...
Plugins are just tools...just like guitars....I have spent $3000 plus on a single guitar...I have many....

It’s all relative...

It’s insane if you can’t afford it....but for what I’ve spent on PA plugs I’ve got a lot of choice and tools and tones for the money...

I bought a Real Marshall amp and cab...it cost me $2000 that’s a lot for a single Marshall tone...
Old 21st October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Plugins are just tools...just like guitars....I have spent $3000 plus on a single guitar...I have many....

It’s all relative...

It’s insane if you can’t afford it....but for what I’ve spent on PA plugs I’ve got a lot of choice and tools and tones for the money...

I bought a Real Marshall amp and cab...it cost me $2000 that’s a lot for a single Marshall tone...
Well, with all the money you spent on tools, you could possibly open an hardware store.
Old 21st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, with all the money you spent on tools, you could possibly open an hardware store.
Hardly...my purchase history is frugal compared to people on here and on the scene.

Looking at my invoices...
Old 21st October 2019
Gear Guru
Tools are things you actually work with.....
Old 21st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Tools are things you actually work with.....
Yes...

Your point?
Old 21st October 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Yes...

Your point?
Not geared towards you but more the hardware store quip......

Personally I use every bit of gear I've bought, plug ins not so much.....
Old 21st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Not geared towards you but more the hardware store quip......

Personally I use every bit of gear I've bought, plug ins not so much.....
I work in education....I bought the Fabfilter bundle for 50% off...I don't intend to stay in education for the foreseeable future....

I've been building up my studio over the past couple of years and figured I would buy some EDU bundles while I still can before I'm out of it....

People assume too much on this forum....Everyone has different goals, different incomes, different outlooks etc...Just do what makes you happy and plan things out best you can....

YOLO
Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
It's certainly becoming very commonplace to use plugins like Submarine, or use some old-school work arounds to produce some similar results. I think it'll be around for many years. These plugins just make things faster and life easier for us.
For a lot of people nowadays, that 808 bass for example, really needs to BOOOM! And plug-ins like LoAir can really add more to a sound for doing that than just EQing low frequencies can do alone. It gives you a little something "extra".
Old 22nd October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
I work in education....I bought the Fabfilter bundle for 50% off...I don't intend to stay in education for the foreseeable future....

I've been building up my studio over the past couple of years and figured I would buy some EDU bundles while I still can before I'm out of it....

People assume too much on this forum....Everyone has different goals, different incomes, different outlooks etc...Just do what makes you happy and plan things out best you can....

YOLO
You're right. Then, if I can help you with your tools arsenal, I have around 20 NI Expansions to sell (formerly Maschine expansions) and could make you a good price!
Old 22nd October 2019
Gear Guru

grabbed Miroslav 2 for $85 with my "Jam Points" instantly glad to hear these sound. Well, not instantly. The download and install process is a bit long winded and imperfect.
Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
grabbed Miroslav 2 for $85 with my "Jam Points" instantly glad to hear these sound. Well, not instantly. The download and install process is a bit long winded and imperfect.
Installing large IK sound libraries are the least fun thing to do TBH. They need to jump into 2019 and find a way to streamline the process some more... and stop with the timed download access already.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search