Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0nan View Post
It gets applied automatically
Awesome!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Damn will they just stop it with these offers and give us a break!!!!!!

(Heads off sneakily in the direction of Audio Deluxe)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
So how are you controlling the volume then if not from a MIDI connected pedal which is the way every other softsynth works. Having to do it by hand isn't the way to work. Remember I'm working in Pro Tools so it needs to work there. I don't want to have to automate the level afterwards as that's backwards and doesn't make for good playing or even auditioning presets.
I work in ableton and logic. And I use the volume fader of the selected vst track for volume. Don't you have that in pro tools?
Old 3 weeks ago
trg
Gear Nut
...and there we seem to have the difference between musician and producer...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I can get Soundtoys 5 for $185..If I had the money that would be tempting....................................
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempsperdu View Post
I can get Soundtoys 5 for $185..If I had the money that would be tempting....................................
TOTALLY worth it, that is a great price also.

Sie-Q, Little Plate, Decapitator. those are the ones I use most.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Yes have to agree. I bought the Soundtoys Bundle Second Hand for maybe 160-170 Eur and I never regret it. Have in every mix a few instances from this bundle. Echoboy is still one of the greatest, Little Plate, Primal Tap, Microshift and a few more. And I bet I don't even know all the functions, because some of them are really deep.

And I still hope that the Soundtys 6 Bundle is not too far.

Great value, great company, great sound!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
TOTALLY worth it, that is a great price also.

Sie-Q, Little Plate, Decapitator. those are the ones I use most.
It is and I almost feel guilty. I've got 4 Soundtoys plugins, Echoboy, Primal Tap, Little Alter Boy and now Phase Mistress all of which I got on offers.
This morning S5 was $265, I buy Phase Mistress For just under $29 and it drops to $185!!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I don't have anything NKS but can load presets from within Lion,either by the forwards/backwards arrows or the preset menu from within Lion.

Here's something to try IF you have any other unfiltered audio plugins. Go to one of the other plugins and create a preset. Go to save that preset and see where it wants to be saved by default. If you see what are the factory presets from that plugin you should be able to work out within Finder where the factory Lion presets are/ A little convoluted but it may work. I just got back from doing food shopping and will go to my recording space, boot-up and see what's where art least for OSX. Windows I can't help with.
Sorry a bit late getting back on this.

I'm on Windows and all The UA stuff loads the presets into the same place. It also has a separate location for writing your own presets which is what it shows on any of them if you try to save.
All the other plugins work as supposed to by moving the forward /back arrows but oddly not Lion.

The only difference is that I saved one of my own presets first with Lion and for some reason that is all it shows if I use forward back arrows. Weird.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt9 View Post
I work in ableton and logic. And I use the volume fader of the selected vst track for volume. Don't you have that in pro tools?
Yes but that's only for after-the-fact recording. I want to record the volume changes as I play like one can with every other vi out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg View Post
...and there we seem to have the difference between musician and producer...
Perfectly said although I wear either hat at different times the musician hat is always first. I want to record it right from the get-go and not fix it in the mix. It's impossible to get a good performance when you only are able to record at one volume. A good musician modulates their volume levels as they play and to take that away is abominable.

Let's face it ua screwed the pooch on this synth.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempsperdu View Post
Sorry a bit late getting back on this.

I'm on Windows and all The UA stuff loads the presets into the same place. It also has a separate location for writing your own presets which is what it shows on any of them if you try to save.
All the other plugins work as supposed to by moving the forward /back arrows but oddly not Lion.

The only difference is that I saved one of my own presets first with Lion and for some reason that is all it shows if I use forward back arrows. Weird.
Between this thread and the one over on KVR I'm getting the feeling that Lion was not ready for prime time release. Too many bugs/errors and no way to get in touch with unfiltered audio directly - you have to work through PA's idiotic support system. Still no response to the support ticket I raised with them on the weekend.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
It's impossible to get a good performance when you only are able to record at one volume. A good musician modulates their volume levels as they play and to take that away is abominable.
You can't assume that everyone has the same playing style and workflow as you.
Not every "musician" uses a volume pedal when playing synths. I would actually say the vast majority don't. That is a technique that is derived from old organs that didn't respond to velocity.
I for example, never use a volume pedal and instead map amplitude to velocity for dynamic control.
Sure both would be nice, but the lack of volume pedal support for Lion does not make it unusable. Even for us "musicians."
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Now there are four UA's

Unfiltered Audio
United Audio
Universal Audio
Undertone Audio

I'm going to start a company called Ugly Antfarm
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Now there are four UA's

Unfiltered Audio
United Audio
Universal Audio
Undertone Audio

Ubiquitous Acronyms.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

anyone want to send me 100 dollars so I can buy Lion
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I kind of feel like Plugin Alliance is cucking me a bit with this discount price considering I own all the other UA stuff
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I got it all for 12 months with $150 subscription. Hate to be that guy but maybe we can "persuade" them to keep deals going on the sub model.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Man View Post
You can't assume that everyone has the same playing style and workflow as you.
Not every "musician" uses a volume pedal when playing synths. I would actually say the vast majority don't. That is a technique that is derived from old organs that didn't respond to velocity.
I for example, never use a volume pedal and instead map amplitude to velocity for dynamic control.
Sure both would be nice, but the lack of volume pedal support for Lion does not make it unusable. Even for us "musicians."
Lion is the only vi I've seen that doesn't have volume pedal support of some kind. Said it before and I'll say it again: ua really messed this up. There is no ability to map velocity to amplitude in Lion.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
There is no ability to map velocity to amplitude in Lion.
Ok, well if this is true then I totally agree with you.
I am suprised I haven't heard anybody else mention that yet.
Old 3 weeks ago
trg
Gear Nut
Well, you could connect velocity to Master ADSR AMP, for instance. Haven't found out yet, though, how to control the amount of modulations. But I'm a bad manual reader...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg View Post
Well, you could connect velocity to Master ADSR AMP, for instance. Haven't found out yet, though, how to control the amount of modulations. But I'm a bad manual reader...
That would only be for one patch. There has to be something that will work and not be tied to a patch.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now there are four UA's

Unfiltered Audio
United Audio
Universal Audio
Undertone Audio

What plugins will you sell?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
What plugins will you sell?
Probably more the Eric Valentine approach of good hardware. It's easier for me to understand. My first available product is a Wolfbox DI with vintage Triad A55J transformers. It's called DWA though, not Ugly Anthill.

I need to brush up on my coding skills before attempting a plugin, might take some time.

My first summing mixer + 4 channel Reamp is called "Nigel" though and my 251 style mic is called "Claire"

haven't tried to sell those yet, really
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Probably more the Eric Valentine approach of good hardware. It's easier for me to understand. My first available product is a Wolfbox DI with vintage Triad A55J transformers. It's called DWA though, not Ugly Anthill.

I need to brush up on my coding skills before attempting a plugin, might take some time.

My first summing mixer + 4 channel Reamp is called "Nigel" though and my 251 style mic is called "Claire"

haven't tried to sell those yet, really
I used to build stuff but dont have the time anymore. I still look at DIY kits and that sort of thing, and i think to myself that it would be fun to do but realistically i know i would just put the parts in the closet. Maybe when i retire
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

lion is actually kind of a beast. you just gotta understand what it can and can't do well.

imo, it's not good for straight up tonal sounds.

for hard and wild sound design it's superior to Diva and other options, and is way up there. I'm probably going to have to buy it

I assume people who are lukewarm on it aren't into abstract electronic music like i am, because if you like stuff like Autechre or things down that road it's a real winner of a synthesizer for you, IMO. can't think of anything so fast to set up modulation and just start shaping something interesting with the available methods, in one fast VST. it's well worth the intro price imo. I was complaining about spending my voucher on Digital V3 but truth is, I think UA deserve the money for this one, it's nice.

my only real nit pick with it is the UI colors are kind of flat and boring. it would be cool if you could make it like a rainbow or something a little more inspiring to work with. i feel like the GUI is a little bit uninspired

for good sounding leads personally I think I'll stick with my other tools
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Lion is the only vi I've seen that doesn't have volume pedal support of some kind. Said it before and I'll say it again: ua really messed this up. There is no ability to map velocity to amplitude in Lion.
This isn't true. There's even a knob dedicated to controlling how strongly velocity affects amplitude.

Also, if people think that not using a volume pedal makes an instrument unusable or makes someone a bad musician, I have some bad news for you about pianists (who almost never use the damper pedals -- certainly many well-known pianists don't).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
lion is actually kind of a beast. you just gotta understand what it can and can't do well.

imo, it's not good for straight up tonal sounds.

for hard and wild sound design it's superior to Diva and other options, and is way up there. I'm probably going to have to buy it

I assume people who are lukewarm on it aren't into abstract electronic music like i am, because if you like stuff like Autechre or things down that road it's a real winner of a synthesizer for you, IMO. can't think of anything so fast to set up modulation and just start shaping something interesting with the available methods, in one fast VST. it's well worth the intro price imo. I was complaining about spending my voucher on Digital V3 but truth is, I think UA deserve the money for this one, it's nice.

my only real nit pick with it is the UI colors are kind of flat and boring. it would be cool if you could make it like a rainbow or something a little more inspiring to work with. i feel like the GUI is a little bit uninspired

for good sounding leads personally I think I'll stick with my other tools
Finally someone judging this thing on its own terms. Thanks for the feedback!

Most of the reactions to this that I've seen so far are people that are dissatisfied that it doesn't conform to the standards of same basic VA or vintage polysynth (not to mention the guy who seems to be devastated that it's not a Hammond or something).

Coming from Unfiltered, I would expect nothing more than a wild, flexible new sound generator.

I am not expecting to make 80's pads, funk basses, and screaming Rick Wakeman leads with something that has this architecture.
I wouldn't want to and I certainly wouldn't need to with everything else that's out there.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Agreed. As for "sound quality" complaints, my advice is a mixture of the following:

N4 J37 Tape Emulation by TimP
J37 by Waves
True Iron
PSP Vintage Warmer

with a little extra emphasis on Vintage Warmer IMO
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
There was the same kind of whining about Massive X, which is actually another beast, and a very powerful synth which doesn't produce vanilla sounds. And needs time spent with it to get the best out of.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search