The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

THD is not noise; THD is Total Harmonic Distortion and different from the noise an analog simulation like the SSL channel strips from PA put out. Even with that control turned down to where it's supposedly off you still get some blow-by evident on metering further down the line in a session. And the gates that are in those strips don't always cut out the noise either. Lately I'd been noticing metering activity but nothing I could hear on the bx_meter is use on my 2-bus. Started bypassing tracks and when it came to tracks with the SSL and Neve strips and those got muted the noise indications on the meter went away.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just went cruising the PA site and they removed the separate product listing from unfiltered audio Lion The only places I see it even mentioned are on the product pages for the bundles with an early September release date. There used to be a product page for it earlier in the week; wonder if it's getting delayed even more or on indefinite hold?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan View Post
Did anyone in this thread notice that most PA plugins are showing quite a big amount of THD when compared to similar plugins from other brands.

I was wondering if it was part of analog emulation ?
It seems that more it is "analog", more it shows some of this noise.
Or is it just old fashioned coding and bit truncation+dithering (or no dithering at all) ?...

Here for exemple (in Plugin Doctor, no gain processing from the plugin), the graph of SPL Passeq, a relatively low noise plugin from PA (by the way, Passeq shows the same amount of noise than Bx_DynEQ, a completly digital EQ).
And the graph of SPL Iron, that already brought some discussions in its related thread.
If you bypass the plugin from the GUI, it still adds THD noise (but much less), like if audio was still processed in some way.

When I launch Equick (DMG Audio), Satson (Sonimus), Nova (Tokyo Dawn Labs) or even PSP E27 in Plugin Doctor, just for take some exemples of great plugins, it doesn't show any THD noise (just harmonics from the saturation in the case of Satson and E27).

And I know that these plugins are processing internally at 64 bit depth.
When saturation is emulated in these 64bit plugins, it doesn't show the same noisy mess than PA plugins, just the harmonics.

I know too that Pro Q3 does have some THD, same look as Passeq but much lower (and I mean MUCH lower : actually, the same amount as the bypassed PA plugin).
I think Pro Q3 operates at 32 bits internally (or at least outputs at 32 bits).

So my question is : what is this about ?
24 bit internal processing ?
Analog emulation (but what about Bx_dynEQ) ?
At which bit depth is the audio internally processed in the PA plugins ?
What about stacking loads of these plugins on many tracks ?

Is it intentionnal and part of the design (but digital EQ should show none of this noise), or just a choice for save cpu processing ?

I don't speak about the sound of the plugins (I love SPL Iron, and it's the more messy of all - but I never used it on many tracks).
I just want to understand the tools I use and how to use them with most profit.
If the noisefloor is induced (faux-analog or dithered), it should have the telltale sign of movement in Plugindoctor - plus it might be audible. However, if it's just a bunch of messy static spikes way down deep then it's probably truncation. You're right Pro-Q has it - even though it is known as a clean EQ. Plugins that are 64-bit internal processing will just show clean frequency and harmonic information in Plugindoctor, atleast down to the deepest depths Plugin Doctor can read (try SPAN if you want to see further). If you want plugins that look stunningly clean in Plugindoctor, try Voxengo / Boz and some others.

I know it's all about how they sound, but I keep a little "uber-quality" plugin folder handy when I want the lightest touch without accumulating digititus.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

More PSP Audioness

"Dear user,

For next 5 days we’re offering our zero latency compressors plug-ins at discounted prices:

PSP Twin-L for $29.99 instead of $69
PSP FETpressor for $29.99 instead of $99
PSP oldTimer ME for $19.99 instead of $99
PSP BussPressor for $19.99 instead of $69
or
buy all of them at once for $97.46 instead of $366 "

Any favourites anyone?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempsperdu View Post
More PSP Audioness

"Dear user,

For next 5 days we’re offering our zero latency compressors plug-ins at discounted prices:

PSP Twin-L for $29.99 instead of $69
PSP FETpressor for $29.99 instead of $99
PSP oldTimer ME for $19.99 instead of $99
PSP BussPressor for $19.99 instead of $69
or
buy all of them at once for $97.46 instead of $366 "

Any favourites anyone?
I'd say the FETpressor for a decent 1176-style comp - I'd take it over the Purple MC any day of the week. Did you get an email from PSP on this? I'm on their list and haven't gotten anything yet. Thanks for the heads-up on this one.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
THD is not noise; THD is Total Harmonic Distortion and different from the noise an analog simulation like the SSL channel strips from PA put out.
I know that THD is no noise. But because something appears in this area with plugins like Pro Q3 (absolutely clean plugin, but no processing internally @ 64 bit) and there's nothing with 64 bit plugins, I guess this very subtle truncation produces THD or at least something that look like THD.

And when it's much more apparent in PA plugins that are not supposed to bring any noise and/or saturation, I just guess it must be some kind of truncation, and not some kind of normal THD.

When I compare (very subjectively) 64 bits plugins with others, I don't notice any added noise but something like a little bit less clarity, so actually I can't interpret in better words the mess Plugin Doctor is showing on plugins like Iron or PA console stuff.

I've got "impression" something is moving at almost unconscious levels, that brings a kind of tiny blurring.

And by the way I don't think it's audible at all at highs levels, in a regular music mix, but right now I'm working on a movie project with very low level parts (a lot of -50dbfs ambient sounds), and I've got "impression" I can notice the difference between plugins like Equick/Nova and PA plugins.
I don't hear any of this comparing Equick and ProQ3.

But of course it may be placebo effect... When ou work with such tiny sounds (with your computer making almost more noise than the actual mix), it's easy to overprocess any feeling.
I just want to understand why most PA plugins show all this mess in pluginDoctor, and what it could mean regarding the way to use them.

For exemple, I'm still confused about Iron : I love how it process the dynamic shape of sound, but I'm always afraid it can brings some dirt in the mix (specially when stacked on many tracks, and not only on the master).

Of course, some of you will tell "use your ears", but when you spend hours on a mix, it's easy to be fooled by your ears and "erase" the tiny dirt mentally because you love the shape.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Did you get an email from PSP on this? I'm on their list and haven't gotten anything yet. Thanks for the heads-up on this one.
Yeah..that's directly from the email...LOL I never get them from Korg so I have to manually check for updates.... guess mailing lists are far from infallible
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah..that's directly from the email...LOL I never get them from Korg so I have to manually check for updates.... guess mailing lists are far from infallible
I know well about the fallibility of email lists.

BTW if you already have purchased plugins from PSP login to your account and you'll get a better price. Due to that factor (I own Vintage Warmer 2, L'otary, Scanner ) I can get the bundle for a little over $88. That discount will change depending on how many other plugins you have from PSP.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

BTW if you already have purchased plugins from PSP login to your account and you'll get a better price. Due to that factor (I own Vintage Warmer 2, L'otary, Scanner ) I can get the bundle for a little over $88. That discount will change depending on how many other plugins you have from PSP.
That's weird, that's what it said in the email but even though I have 9 paid PSP plugins when I go to the store the price says the same as in the email. (Logged in btw)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I got the Softube Biscuit for $99 (ends this weekend) still pricey by our standards but that's the cheapest it's ever been as far as I can tell, if you're a fan, now is probably the time. Didn't mind spending a bit more as it's probably going to be the one and only plugin version.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
That's weird, that's what it said in the email but even though I have 9 paid PSP plugins when I go to the store the price says the same as in the email. (Logged in btw)
I believe you have to add it to the cart to see a discount, in case you hadn't tried that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Klimek View Post
I believe you have to add it to the cart to see a discount, in case you hadn't tried that.
Yes - logged in and items added to cart and then you get the lower price. And make sure you have cookies enabled.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Klimek View Post
Quote:
Yes - logged in and items added to cart and then you get the lower price. And make sure you have cookies enabled.

Ah..thanks both of you
I could get all four for $74.98 which is tempting but probably a lot more GAS than need
Old 2 weeks ago
Everything about OldTimer seems great: the name, the hideous interface, the Bob Katz testimonial.... I may have to grab it. But then again I probably have it covered with MJUC
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm going to wait until the last possible minute to see what else may happen with Labor Day sales. I doubt PA will do anything decent and may even give us another insult voucher like they just did last week.

And Lion product page has still not come back up on the PA site.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

>> Download ZIP (Audio Files & Instructions 690 MB) <<
MEGA-Mix-Files/MEGA-Mix-Session-AggressiveChill.zip

What you will get
Over the next months we will provide you with several amazing audio sessions from different genres. Every session will be mixed by a professional mix and mastering engineer, and you will get the final master to listen to, and access to the raw WAV files. So YOU can mix the song in your studio and compare your version with the master!

This Session - live NOW!
You can start to download the raw WAV files for the this session via the link above right now! Start mixing the track yourself, now. Of course you can listen to the final master of that track now as well, to see if the song is in your pocket (see above as well).

What's next?
Shortly we will also release the full mix session file, including all the plugins, settings, automation data etc. The mix contains the mastering chain as well, so you have access to the final master of this song. Mixed & mastered exclusively with plugins from the MEGA Subscription Bundle, so if you want to open the original mix session and see exactly how the track was mixed, you can do so if you book the MEGA Bundle for a month or even just start some free trials. Alternatively, you can mix the tracks we provide and use any other plugins you want, of course. But let's be real..! You will want to look into the original mix session and analyze all the plugins used, the settings for each plugin, solo certain mix elements! And who knows, maybe we'll create a nice MEGA mix contest and give away some amazing prices.
Please stay tuned!

Dirk Ulrich
Owner Brainworx & Plugin Alliance

"This song (originally produced by our partner Tobias Lindell) is a great fit for some hands-on training, as it is both, a great tune and a mix challenge. Lots of raw (and I mean RAW!) sounds that are waiting to be turned into a wall of sound. My mix tip for this one: Experiment with the SPL DrumXchanger and the Lindell 254 on the drums for this song!"

Mix your own version now!
This ZIP file contains the audio files, the reference mix and some text instructions to get you started. Downloading the files and mixing this track is 100% FREE for you!

>> DOWNLOAD ZIP (Audio Files & Instructions 690 MB) <<
MEGA-Mix-Files/MEGA-Mix-Session-AggressiveChill.zip

THIS MASTER MIXED WITH MEGA BUNDLE PLUGINS ONLY!

Copyright © 2019 Plugin Alliance LLC, All rights reserved

You are receiving this email because you are interested in Plugin Alliance audio tools. Our brands include A/DA, Acme Audio, Adptr Audio, Ampeg, Black Box Analog Design, Brainworx Audio, Chandler, Dangerous Music, Dear Reality, Diezel, DS Audio,elysia, ENGL, fiedler audio, Focusrite, Lindell Audio, Louder Than Litfoff, Mäag Audio, Millennia, Noveltech, ProAudio DSP, Purple Audio, Schoeps, SPL, Shadow Hills, Solid State Logic (SSL), Unfiltered Audio and Vertigo.

Plugin Alliance LLC, 518 Ocean Street, Suite A, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, United States

Don't want our newsletter? Click here to unsubscribe

Am I so very wrong to feel traces of vomit in the back of my throat ???
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anyone use the Lindell 7X-500? Never realised it was $29 as standard, and I don't yet have an 1176 plug.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Anyone use the Lindell 7X-500? Never realised it was $29 as standard, and I don't yet have an 1176 plug.
I never noticed that either, so why is "Channel X" way more than the 3 units separately?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I got Channel X for a discount back in the good old days. The preamp and EQ are pretty darn cool. I didn't spend enough time with the compressor to form a strong opinion. There's a lot going on there.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
I really like it. It's very heavy handed but that's what I like about it. Anyway there is a mix knob so you mix in however much of the crushed signal you want.
I love it on electronic drums. It distorts them in a very nice way. It's good on acoustic drums as well if your looking for that sound. It does tend to suck some bass out of the signal though so having it in channel X is nice because you can add some bass right back in. Being able to drive it even harder with the Preamp is also nice sometimes so I must say channel X is a pretty good tool altogether. When I first got it I thought having those 3 modules stuck together seemed a little bit arbitrary but it makes sense to me know.
I know you are talking about the standalone though and I'm sure it's really cool on its own too.
I'm thinking of getting the standalone with one of my vouchers one of these days because it would be nice to not have to turn off all of the saturation I don't need when I only want the comp. That and there really isn't anything else that I want to spend money on from PA anymore (other than license transfer fees).
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

there is a nice Eventide Sale on Audiodeluxe.com until Sept. 3.

Eventide Elevate Bundle $99.00
Eventide Physion $49.00
Eventide UltraReverb $49.00
Eventide Quadravox $29.00
Eventide Precision $19.00
Eventide Octavox $49.00
Eventide UltraChannel $29.00

an add. 15% discount will be applied automatically on checkout.

BTW: the real difference between Quadravox and Octavox is, that the latter has a MIDI-In.

PS: an while you`re there Cherry Audio Voltage Modular Nucleus is also FREE for a limted time.
No other purchase necessary.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyscode View Post
there is a nice Eventide Sale on Audiodeluxe.com until Sept. 3.

Eventide Elevate Bundle $99.00
Eventide Physion $49.00
Eventide UltraReverb $49.00
Eventide Quadravox $29.00
Eventide Precision $19.00
Eventide Octavox $49.00
Eventide UltraChannel $29.00

an add. 15% discount will be applied automatically on checkout.

BTW: the real difference between Quadravox and Octavox is, that the latter has a MIDI-In.

PS: an while you`re there Cherry Audio Voltage Modular Nucleus is also FREE for a limted time.
No other purchase necessary.
How about these Eventide plugins? Someone to talk to us about them?
Old 2 weeks ago
trg
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolArt Music View Post
I have the Elevate bundle. It's supposedly great, but very cpu hungry. My quad core series 4 i7 can only run about 7 of the 21 or so bands in Reaper before I get hickups.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I own the Elevate Bundle, Ultraverb and Ultrachannel.

The Elevate bundle is def. in my Top 10 Best Plugs ever. The EQ is so naturally and invisible sounding you can go to extremes - if you stay with the MEL-Scale that is. It is the only EQ I remember of that uses the MEL-Scale (how pitches and frequencies are perceived by the human ear).
And the EQ matching feature is alse nice.

The Limiter is a bit harder to work IMHO because of the tons of options that need some time to get your head around it but you can also achieve massive limiting without sounding squashed. But also very CPU hungry, because it has real adaptive AI at work. You also get the various modules from Elevate as single plugins also, included in the package, which is nice.

If you won't take my word check the release thread here on GS.

Ultraverb may not be quite up there with Flux Verb (which I consider among the best software reverbs) but it is still really good, esp. with the tons of creative modulation options you very rarely see on other reverbs.
If you like the Eventide (H8000) Reverb Sound generally (I do) and you are into sound desgn, this is a no brainer.

Ultrachannel, if you don't mind the tiny,tiny GUI, is powerful tool with e.g. the algos from the Omnipressor and Micropitch.
It is more 'colorful' than other Channelstrips like Metric Halo (which is about equally dated).
IMHO pretty underrated but I would not exclusively rely on it.

Quadra and Octavox I don't have but I am getting Octavox (been waiting for a while now to be on deep sale again)
They are supposed to be a realtime Pitchshifter with delay. Algos are from the H8000.
The big version ca be played live via MIDI. Seems a bit comparable to the Soundtoys Alterboy, just with 8 voice pitch-shifting. So I guess this will be a ton of fun.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anyone else receive the "Mixed with Mega" email 3 times in the past few days?
Old 2 weeks ago
trg
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Anyone else receive the "Mixed with Mega" email 3 times in the past few days?
They *really* want you to participate!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

And They just keep coming........

EFFECTS YOU'LL ACTUALLY USE

We’ve used the same advanced modelling technologies that bring our acclaimed V Collection instruments to life to recreate some of the best studio effects and hardware ever. Compressors, preamps, filters, and now delays.

3 Delays bundle

3 Delays You'll Actually Use

Tape-201, Memory-Brigade & Eternity

49€ - BUY NOW

Wish I wasn't tempted but at that price it's hard not to be.................

I think the intro price is actually 99€ but I presumably get this offer because of other Arturia stuff I have though I'm not sure which makes the difference.............
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
And They just keep coming........

EFFECTS YOU'LL ACTUALLY USE

We’ve used the same advanced modelling technologies that bring our acclaimed V Collection instruments to life to recreate some of the best studio effects and hardware ever. Compressors, preamps, filters, and now delays.

3 Delays bundle

3 Delays You'll Actually Use

Tape-201, Memory-Brigade & Eternity

49€ - BUY NOW

Wish I wasn't tempted but at that price it's hard not to be.................

I think the intro price is actually 99€ but I presumably get this offer because of other Arturia stuff I have though I'm not sure which makes the difference.............
Is there a commercial from the geniuses in the Arturia marketing department where someone looks at their watch and is like "oh god I'm late" then tries putting a space echo in a backpack, only to be mugged on the way to the gig, but WAIT I have the Arturia DELAY COLLECTION WINK* and everything is just fine at the gig and everyone loves the show.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I can talk to you about these if you have questions.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Elevate is the real deal and quite different than anything else I have. I dare say if I knew what I was doing I could master using the bundle without anything else. As it is makes my demo recordings sound finished...... Amazing value FWIW....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search