The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Maxxbass is a different tool for a different job imo, because it add harmonics above the source rather than below
that's right, but don't forget the Edge section in the bx_subsynth I used that to add the upper harmonics, in overall it managed to add much more life to the bass or the 808 in a better way than the MaxxBass.
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
Get out those reference tracks!
true, that and metrixAB should really be useful. also my auratone, inears, sennheiser 600s, and sonar reference.

and bassroom

if that doesn't do it, ill just off myself
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Man View Post
How does Subsynth compare to the bass enhancer section of the SPL Vitalizer?
Im not sure if Vitalizer adds anything to the signal (other than resonance like Subfilter) but it does have a very strong effect (ie it sounds like it is adding something). I know the two plugins are generally apples to Oranges but I'm just curious as to how they compare in that specific area if anyone owns both.
The _synth_ part in subsynth ist not just a marketing naming gag. It _is_ a synthesizer.

from the official dbx 120A description: https://dbxpro.com/en/products/120a

" the dbx process actually produces a new, Waveform Modeled™ bass note, exactly an octave below the bass in the original audio. [...]

"The 120A's patented subharmonic synthesis process actually builds the synthesized waveform using the waveshape of the original bass material. Unlike other attempts at bass synthesis, the dbx process produces smooth, musical low frequencies that don't interfere with mid and high-band information, even when maximum synthesis and boost are applied. The result is a low-end punch that people really feel, even at system levels that won't destroy sound equipment or damage hearing."

I hope that serves you
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Yup, and Waves claims the same naturalness in Submarine courtesy of its "Organic ReSynthesis technology", which is why I ask again if anyone's in a position to compare the two "in the real world"...
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
that's right, but don't forget the Edge section in the bx_subsynth I used that to add the upper harmonics, in overall it managed to add much more life to the bass or the 808 in a better way than the MaxxBass.
That's a high pass resonant filter which is great for drums, but it's not the same as what Maxxbass does and won't be right for every situation, don't write it off just yet! I use both, just wish they'd update Maxxbass!
Old 18th June 2019
HSi
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Yup, and Waves claims the same naturalness in Submarine courtesy of its "Organic ReSynthesis technology", which is why I ask again if anyone's in a position to compare two "in the real world"...
I did demo submarine briefly and I prefered subsynth, more control.
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Ahh... thanks man.
Old 18th June 2019
Here for the gear

I ended getting MBassador for these low end duties.
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That's a high pass resonant filter which is great for drums, but it's not the same as what Maxxbass does and won't be right for every situation, don't write it off just yet! I use both, just wish they'd update Maxxbass!
Hmm maybe I need to do more testing here with the bx_subsynth. TBH I did have some very good results using the Maxxbass in the past on lifeless bass lines or very subby bass.
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
You're thinking of bx subfilter. Bx_subsynth is a sub bass generator with variable distortions as well as a filter section.
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Addict

Maxxbass and bx_subsynth aren't the same. Maxxbass generates high bass harmonics and bx_subsynth generates low bass harmonics. Plus subsynth has 3 different frequency ranges that are fully variable to generate harmonics as well as the distortion section and filter section. I'm sure maxxbass is good but bx_subsynth is beast. It takes some time to get used to using but it's ridiculously powerful one you learn to use it effectively.
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Maniac

I just further tested the bx_subsynth and found the Edge section can actually generate upper harmonics from the lower fundamentals that are already there, and this is different than the Filter (Resonance HPF) section which is just below the Edge section. However, there's a difference in tone and colour between MaxxBass and bx_subsynth. IME, I found the subsynth to be more controlable.
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notheorem729 View Post
You're thinking of bx subfilter. Bx_subsynth is a sub bass generator with variable distortions as well as a filter section.
I'm talking about the filter section of subsynth, which is the same as subfilter so what difference does it make haha thanks for assuming I'm a blind idiot
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Addict

Subsynth is great!

Sure .. it is pretty simple to layer a sinewave yourself, but this works very well and gives me the perfect sub in an instance.
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Layering a sine wave under a kick may be pretty-simple, but when the pitch of the source changes more-drastically, such as with just about any pitched instrument, a plugin such as this or Waves' Submarine that tracks pitch is indispensable.

It'd be a whole-lotta work to do this manually, the quickest method of which for me would be to play the sine wave on a synth and edit the MIDI-note information to sync perfectly with the source material. As I suggested, a lot of work either way.
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Plus you can use subsynth to make floor toms sound like Thor effin with mjolnir
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm talking about the filter section of subsynth, which is the same as subfilter so what difference does it make haha thanks for assuming I'm a blind idiot
I didn't assume you're a blind idiot. He said he uses the edge section to add higher harmonics and you responded by telling him that's just a resonant filter. The edge section is the saturation/distortion which adds higher harmonics and not the filter at all. I figured you were thinking of bx_subfilter because nothing he said indicated that he was using the filter itself to add higher harmonics. I suppose it wouldn't matter if the comparison was between the filter section if bx_subsynth and bx_subfilter but that's not the discussion. You explained the distortion section as the filter section in a comparison involving maxxbass.

Wasn't trying to offend you just clarifying because there's was clearly a miscommunication somewhere.
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notheorem729 View Post
I didn't assume you're a blind idiot. He said he uses the edge section to add higher harmonics and you responded by telling him that's just a resonant filter. The edge section is the saturation/distortion which adds higher harmonics and not the filter at all. I figured you were thinking of bx_subfilter because nothing he said indicated that he was using the filter itself to add higher harmonics. I suppose it wouldn't matter if the comparison was between the filter section if bx_subsynth and bx_subfilter but that's not the discussion. You explained the distortion section as the filter section in a comparison involving maxxbass.

Wasn't trying to offend you just clarifying because there's was clearly a miscommunication somewhere.
We'd been talking about psychoacoustic harmonics not saturation, assumed he was talking about "tight punch" and "low end" which does sounds similar to RBass/Maxxbass, I forgot it was actually labeled as a filter.
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Yup, and Waves claims the same naturalness in Submarine courtesy of its "Organic ReSynthesis technology", which is why I ask again if anyone's in a position to compare two "in the real world"...
Until they fix the problem where the generated sub frequencies suddenly play out of time with the original sound, Submarine isn't as reliable a choice as anything else currently out there.
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Head

I’ve had subsynth a couple of months and I’ve been digging it so far. Also picked up the Waves submarine, so will play around with that one a bit and compare. I do think Waves have really upped their game in recent years, so am expecting good things - but let’s see...
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Guru

I wonder if anybody has used it on a guitar, that would interest me
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Any thoughts about the SPL De-Essers?

I usually use Sonnox DynEq which takes some work but with great results (as any dynamic EQ will, basically). But since it's not compression based, SPL seems like an interesting option to have.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Until they fix the problem where the generated sub frequencies suddenly play out of time with the original sound, Submarine isn't as reliable a choice as anything else currently out there.
Hmm... thanks man.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The SPL De-Esser is very nice and quite transparent for general vocal, guitars...etc mixing. I have the Sonnox SuprEsser and Antares Avox Sybil too, but the SPL is kind of set and forget, too easy and fast to dial-in the proper amount of de-essing.

The Sonnox SuprEsser is the best for more advanced and picky de-essing & de-harshing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Fab Filter Pro DS is so very good, but 'spensive.

However the last time I used it, the Waves Sibilance plugin seems to work almost equally as well, and I got it for free.

I think once you find "a good one" you're pretty much done. You don't really need to do blind shootouts, extensive A/B testing or anything of the sort. Especially not with digital ones. Hardware might have a sound, so sure, yeah that would take a tiny bit more care.

I really liked the tone of the DBX 500 series de-esser.... but it was a terrible de-esser so I had to jettison it. Kind of weird.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I'm not seeing a huge desire for the bx_2098 ..Is it really so meh?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempsperdu View Post
I think it's a pretty excellent EQ, I own it.

Haven't used it massively but most of the time I've been pretty happy with the sound coming out.

It's a little bit on the smooth and warm side of things.

I like the layout and the amount of control available.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It can have a neat sound especially with the sheen button but be aware that the eq in it's own messes with correlation and could cause issues with mono compatibility.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I think I'll probably get it but when the coupons return
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No its great and a no brainer at $29
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search