The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempsperdu View Post
MMNN I've just checked my account and all my plugins bar Triad are down as having been activated on 2 devices whereas they have only ever been on 1. I did upgrade my SSD last week and did so by doing a disc transfer so I didn't think any licences would be affected. Would that have caused that and is there a way to rectify it?
That ssd upgrade shouldn't have done anything as regards the number of activations. Here's a backstory of my setup:

I started with a 27 inch mid 2011 iMac that had a couple of PA plugins. That's 1 activation. When that machine started having issues I got my current 2012 cheesegrater Mac. That's another activation for a total of 2 used. When the iMac finally died I deleted it's activation so I was back to using just one activation. I then changed out the system drive in the cheesegrater from a spinner to an ssd - no activation change - just 1 used because I used Carbon Copy Cloner to bring programs and data over. When that was working okay I partitioned the ssd into 2 boot partitions so I could run OSX 1010.5 and OSX 10.12.6. Again used CCC to bring stuff over from the OSX 10.10.5 partition which was the original boot partition on the ssd. Still using only 1 activation.

The upshot of all this is I only ever had to use 1 activation for the 2 boot partitions. When you did the ssd upgrade did you have to reactivate your plugins? What program did you use to do the disc transfer? Windows or Mac? The way I understand the authorization system is it deposits the auth on the computer without any kind of system interrogation like h/w installed. IOW I don't think it asks for any system info. I know there are some authorization system that will profile system h/w and if you change a drive you need to re-authorize.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
That ssd upgrade shouldn't have done anything as regards the number of activations. Here's a backstory of my setup:

I started with a 27 inch mid 2011 iMac that had a couple of PA plugins. That's 1 activation. When that machine started having issues I got my current 2012 cheesegrater Mac. That's another activation for a total of 2 used. When the iMac finally died I deleted it's activation so I was back to using just one activation. I then changed out the system drive in the cheesegrater from a spinner to an ssd - no activation change - just 1 used because I used Carbon Copy Cloner to bring programs and data over. When that was working okay I partitioned the ssd into 2 boot partitions so I could run OSX 1010.5 and OSX 10.12.6. Again used CCC to bring stuff over from the OSX 10.10.5 partition which was the original boot partition on the ssd. Still using only 1 activation.

The upshot of all this is I only ever had to use 1 activation for the 2 boot partitions. When you did the ssd upgrade did you have to reactivate your plugins? What program did you use to do the disc transfer? Windows or Mac? The way I understand the authorization system is it deposits the auth on the computer without any kind of system interrogation like h/w installed. IOW I don't think it asks for any system info. I know there are some authorization system that will profile system h/w and if you change a drive you need to re-authorize.
IIRC it just uses the "name" you give your computer, so if you change that it would probably add an authorization for the new "name"
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
IIRC it just uses the "name" you give your computer, so if you change that it would probably add an authorization for the new "name"
OK It's Windows 10 Pro and I used Mini Tools to copy the drive. The name remained the same and is noted as such on the P.A. accounts page but it has 2 different Machine Id's which is presumably because of the hard drive change.
Kinda weird because afaics no other plugins have had to be reauthorised and nor were the P.A. Plugins but the P.A. plugins were marked with an extra activation.
Old 14th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
I think I've asked this before, but is hybrid V2 worth grabbing if I have digital v2 & 3?
I would say Digital v3 is more versatile. Got Hybrid v2 very recently with Mastering Bundle 3 and haven't found any obvious advantage over Digital v3.

Digital does M/S and L/R. Hybrid only does L/R. The high band on Digital goes up to 40K. Hybrid has the joystick control for bass shift and presence shift which can be swept up and down in frequency. In Digital the bass shift and presence shift appear to be fixed with buttons offering a selection of 3 different and somewhat smoother curves. Digital has one band of dynamic EQ. Digital has dedicated balance and panning controls. Hybrid has in/out gain for each channel.

Both have 5 bands of EQ and the mono maker and stereo width controls.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl4311 View Post
I would say Digital v3 is more versatile. Got Hybrid v2 very recently with Mastering Bundle 3 and haven't found any obvious advantage over Digital v3.

Digital does M/S and L/R. Hybrid only does L/R. The high band on Digital goes up to 40K. Hybrid has the joystick control for bass shift and presence shift which can be swept up and down in frequency. In Digital the bass shift and presence shift appear to be fixed with buttons offering a selection of 3 different and somewhat smoother curves. Digital has one band of dynamic EQ. Digital has dedicated balance and panning controls. Hybrid has in/out gain for each channel.

What is the point of Hybrid? Does it sound different or something?
Old 15th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Good question. To me Hybrid and Digital in L/R mode sounded very similar at the same EQ settings.
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Good question. To me Hybrid and Digital in L/R mode sounded very similar at the same EQ settings.
I'll have to make up a test since I own them both.

Plugin Alliance and brainworx have a lot of plugins that don't seem "necessary" but then eventually a few of them start to make sense on closer inspection. For me anyway.
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Supposed to map easily with the Avid consoles
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Supposed to map easily with the Avid consoles
Thank you, Jack.

I'll have to make a note somewhere to try to avoid being sucked in by it then; seems digital V2 & 3 make it redundant for me.
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Maniac

I must not buy any more this month
I will not buy any more this month
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

Argh I was waiting for nvelope, and good price
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Argh I was waiting for nvelope, and good price
I'm not listening

I'm not listening

Look my fingers are in my ears!!!

I'm not listening

No siree Bob

I'm not listening

You'll see!!!!

Old 16th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Oh bugger...... gave in innit
Old 16th June 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Oh bugger...... gave in innit
+1.
I picked up Refinement and nvelope. I had a chance to try them and I think they’re both great.
My wallet is getting lighter every two days.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Maniac

LOL I settled for nvelope which is fantastic on drums. Trying so hard to have things left to want for next coupons
Old 16th June 2019
trg
Gear Head
What about envelope? Is it any special compared to other transient shapers? I already got some others...
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg View Post
What about envelope? Is it any special compared to other transient shapers? I already got some others...
I bought it (resisting the VSM-3 bundle as I have other saturators like HG2 and those by D16, Kush, etc.).

I have Boz Transgressor and have tried out some others - to date I haven't done a lot of shaping. Nvelope is very smooth and natural sounding. Transgressor is aggressive shaping that requires a more distinct transient to trigger and shape (and then it's awesome). Without that more distinct transient it can sound weird based on how it triggers. Nvelope has no issues with that, as you can dial it in to emphasize or de-emphasize transients and decays. SPL Transient Designer Plus may possible be a smidge better at the full spectrum shaping, but Nvelope crushes it with the generally more useful split mode where you can dial in the frequency of the attack and the frequency of the decay and then boost or cut each. The Softube Transient designer one is probably one of the closer - or the closest - competitor. I've only demod it, and not at the same time as Nvelope.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg View Post
besides that it is really well balanced and natural sounding:

- Auto-Gain Mode
- internal Sidechain
- Dual band mode dif. freqs bands for Attack and Sustain
- EQ-Mode

PS: vitocorleone123 already explained that better.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
mmm huh....
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherphone77 View Post
mmm huh....
Yup ..didn't quite work did it
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Old 16th June 2019
Gear Guru

an easy way to save money on plugins is to go broke

I had $2.43 in my bank account for the past several days

I know it's not responsible, but in some way it feels kind of good to get by

Made some deals with a few people about some pedals to get some fast cash going

it's fun to tighten the belt once in a while and eat peas
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Ooh, man, I think this belongs in the "slut confessions" thread
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
Ooh, man, I think this belongs in the "slut confessions" thread
yeah I was thinking about that when I was typing it out
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Looks like you got more than you bargained for.

Yes PA are an excellent plugin company. They go toe to toe with the best of them.
Highly recommended.
Personal Favs:
Console N,
SSL 4000,
Townhouse,
Engl E765 RT
TE 100
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

You spent plugin money on peas !?
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Maniac

SPL Transient Designer Plus

Brainworx bx_subsynth

ACME Audio Opticom XLA-3

$29

Fishing magnets for the wallet or what..................................

Old 17th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson View Post
You spent plugin money on peas !?
Yeah I can't afford gearslutz I'm switching to peaslutz
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
SPL Transient Designer Plus

Brainworx bx_subsynth

ACME Audio Opticom XLA-3

$29

Fishing magnets for the wallet or what..................................

Passing on the Transient Designer and subsynth but can't pass on the Acme. I've been dithering with it and the pricing but can't pass this up.
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

ive been there many times. and think there are people will billions of dollars right this very second. it's kind of funny in a sick way
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search