The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you use? Mouse? Track Pad? Other? Control Surfaces
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by howseth View Post
Wacom Intuos 3 graphic pad and pen working with my DAW (Logic) and iMac.(left over from my Photoshop work. Prefer the pen to my mouse. I use the pen left handed - naturally - but the mouse right handed.)
I was starting to wonder if I was the only Wacom user here
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

if you run out of space on a trackpad, hold the trackpad 'button' down with one finger, while you use another finger, e.g. your thumb, to move the cursor to where you want, as long as you keep the 'button' down, you can use multiple strokes with your thumb to get the cursor where it needs to go, before letting go of the button, and dropping the item.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by ~ufo~; 14th January 2019 at 10:24 PM..
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
Speaking of Trackpad, I have one too.

One issue that gets me once in a while.... if I am dragging an object from one side of the screen to the other, it seems easy to "run out of Trackpad" before I can drop the object where I want it.

In those cases, I have to use a USB trackball that I keep connected.

Anyone know of a key sequence that would keep the object attached whilst re-positioning your fingers to keep the drag going?
I set mine like this (see attachment) and then you can use three fingers for moving faders which is very easy and relaxing, I also use a rest for my hand.

Regarding your question using this method I can hold cmd and drag (using three fingers) then reposition and not loose the position.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you use? Mouse? Track Pad? Other?-screenshot-2019-01-14-23.33.21.png  
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
if you run out of space on a trackpad, hold the trackpad 'button' down with one finger, while you use another finger, e.g. your thumb, to move the cursor to where you want, as long as you keep the 'button' down, you can use multiple strokes with your thumb to get the cursor where it needs to go, before letting go of the button, and dropping the item.
Hope that helps.
Are you speaking of a trackpad that is on a laptop?

I have the Apple Trackpad, and there is no buttons on it.
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
I set mine like this (see attachment) and then you can use three fingers for moving faders which is very easy and relaxing, I also use a rest for my hand.

Regarding your question using this method I can hold cmd and drag (using three fingers) then reposition and not loose the position.
I'll check and see if I have that option. Thx!
Old 15th January 2019
Gear Maniac

For those using a trackpad on a Mac, here are some tips and tricks, like the most common multitouch gestures, using the trackpad as a MIDI controller with AudioSwift, and creating custom shortcuts with BetterTouchTools:

https://medium.com/@nigelrios/producing-music-with-a-trackpad-fe0dd951168f
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by howseth View Post
Wacom Intuos 3 graphic pad and pen working with my DAW (Logic) and iMac.(left over from my Photoshop work. Prefer the pen to my mouse. I use the pen left handed - naturally - but the mouse right handed.)
I'd like to give this a try, but perhaps at the lower priced end of the Intuos range....does the one you use (3) have a current equivalent in their lineup ? Which of those items would be best for a starter ?
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thx @ anon -- I found the necessary trackpad settings under the Accessibility tool.
Old 15th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
I'd like to give this a try, but perhaps at the lower priced end of the Intuos range....does the one you use (3) have a current equivalent in their lineup ? Which of those items would be best for a starter ?
I have my keyboard to the left, Wacom tablet in the middle, Logitech wireless mouse to the right, Presonus Faderport to the far right.

I use the Intuos Draw, cost me like 80 bucks. The most current -base line- version is the Intuos S which is slightly more expensive but has bluetooth as well as USB2.

I really like the pen & tablet combo as an input device for editing, drawing automation and manipulating (plugin) parameters. When working in a GUI like Melodyne's the pen & tablet really shines.

T
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
Are you speaking of a trackpad that is on a laptop?

I have the Apple Trackpad, and there is no buttons on it.
Either, when it comes to Apple.
When I typed ‘button’ I meant the mechanical push down ‘click’, as opposed to a tap, which is not a click motion.

Keep the mechanical click down with one finger (I use my thumb), use another finger (I use my index) to point your cursor to where you want the cursor to go. Like I said, you can use multiple strokes/brushes to move your cursor as far as your heart desires. That second finger can loose contact with the trackpad, as long as the initial finger is still holding the ‘click’ down.
release your pointer finger when the cursor is where it needs to be, release your initial 'clicking' finger to make the drop.

Three finger dragging is also nice and I use it a lot, but it doesn't work for this 'long distance drag and drop' thing.
I think it's literally the only occasion I use the mechanical click function for, the rest is just taps.
If you haven't got tap to click enabled, then that is definitely worth it, in my experience.
Hope some of this helps.

Last edited by ~ufo~; 15th January 2019 at 08:11 AM..
Old 15th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Wacom makes various tablet lines. Lunar Attic mentions the Intuos S. that blue tooth model tablet costs $100 at their site. You can pay a lot more - in their 'Pro' line... Don't know how they would compare with my Intuos 3 - which is 12 year old model.

If I would buy a replacement I would go with the Blue tooth S model (It can also work USB. (However, my Intuos 3 has a larger pad area (If that matters?)
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have an intuos S without bluetooth. I would definitely recommend that (with or without BT) if you use it as a mouse replacement. If you also do Illustrator/Photoshop work with it you might want to consider a bigger one, but those are getting quite expensive quite quickly.
The smaller area works fine in absolute mode even with my dual screen setup.
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Three finger dragging is also nice and I use it a lot, but it doesn't work for this 'long distance drag and drop' thing.

Hope some of this helps.
It works perfectly for me, just hold cmd and reposition your fingers.
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It works perfectly for me, just hold cmd and reposition your fingers.
Yeah that's a good tip, I didn't know that one. Thanks! Still, that's a two hand operation, which is not always ideal in a music production situation, so the way I described, you can pull it off with one hand and still be juggling, sipping coffee, keeping the fans at arm length or holding your instrument in the other hand.
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah that's a good tip, I didn't know that one. Thanks! Still, that's a two hand operation, which is not always ideal in a music production situation, so the way I described, you can pull it off with one hand and still be juggling, sipping coffee, keeping the fans at arm length or holding your instrument in the other hand.
I have never had a problem with using two hands but if the way you work prohibits that then I guess it's not an option, I have a standup studio so maybe that makes it easier and quicker for me to use.
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
I have never had a problem with using two hands but if the way you work prohibits that then I guess it's not an option, I have a standup studio so maybe that makes it easier and quicker for me to use.
Is that like a standing desk ? Does that change the dynamics of one or two handed operation for you...and do you find yourself being more productive now compared with sitting (just curious about the concept and how it works for mixing) I'm sure my back/general posture could benefit !
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is that like a standing desk ? Does that change the dynamics of one or two handed operation for you...and do you find yourself being more productive now compared with sitting (just curious about the concept and how it works for mixing) I'm sure my back/general posture could benefit !
Yes a complete standing studio, I have been working this way for four years and I find it to be faster and better in every-way, I stand all day everyday without any problems, I often work for 12 hours a day, I also have some high stools that work very well When I am working with someone who wants to sit, but that is very rare, its also a good idea to have a small foot stool so you can lift one leg sometimes, this relaxes the hips, I would never go back to a sitting studio, also it is been proven that when you stand up the brain is more awake and alert, I find this is noticeable, I have found that I actually don't like sitting at all for very long these days, I always want to stand up, and I feel way fitter for it.
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear
Thanks anon, yes there seems to mounting medical evidence that long term sitting is very poor indeed for our general health (and surely we've all done a large amount of it already, this far in life !)

Are there any particular makers of furniture you'd recommend (eg IKEA) or is a case of finding items that work and adapting them as you go ? If you felt like submitting a picture of your setup, or links to suppliers of furniture, that would be great also .....thanks for planting the seed of the idea

NB.....just found this dedicated thread on Standing desks in the Audio Life sub-forum, so perhaps the best platform for continued discussion of the topic ? >>> Standing desks?

Last edited by studer58; 17th January 2019 at 05:02 AM..
Old 17th January 2019
Still using a corded track ball. Bought it back in 06?

I love it. Other people hate it, so as a bonus people tend to leave my computer alone.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict

This

Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse (wired).

$6 US.

Bought 4 or 5 sets 15 years ago figuring that at this price I ought to grab a bunch of spares. Still using the first one out of its box.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search