The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you use? Mouse? Track Pad? Other? Control Surfaces
Old 21st July 2015
  #31
I use a Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse, I also have a wired mouse and a wireless mini-mouse....they're connected to my KVM switch between 3 computers. I also use that mini-mouse from when positioned away from my desk/instrument stations etc.

I don't work on music full-time, so no worries about using a standard keyboard & mouse. I wouldn't be opposed to incorporating some other devices to make things even easier though.
Old 21st July 2015
  #32
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
I don't work on music full-time, so no worries about using a standard keyboard & mouse.
For people who do, though, the mouse-hours can be a big health issue. A control surface can cut those hours down by a lot.
Old 21st July 2015
  #33
Lives for gear
 
mbvoxx's Avatar
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
mouse for right hand, track ball for left hand


Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewitness View Post
Mouse right; keyboard left. Old school!
I have two computer systems running...PT front and center, and add'l PC for internet activity to my left...but working a mouse left handed is backward for me so I use the track ball on the left...keyboard for PT in the center and the other keyboard far left. (Argosy console with the recessed computer station to my left.)
Old 21st July 2015
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Muser's Avatar
griffin powermate in the left hand acting as a mouse button press and
a logitech MX laser wireless in the right. sometimes a USB nintendo gamepad
translated via USB overdrive. most devices are usually going via USB overdrive.

also use a 8 way USB midi footswitch for driving Logic when on guitar or keys.
changing tracks, undoing redoing, record play etc. also via USB overdrive.

also have some midi controllers and Lemur on an Android.

I guess my usage percent goes in that order.
Old 21st July 2015
  #35
Lives for gear
 
zvukofor's Avatar
Apple trackpad. Mouse is so 1996.

Trackpad+keyboard for editing and layout, iPads with custom Liine Lemur template for mixing (adding FX, editing EQs and all stuff).

Last edited by zvukofor; 21st July 2015 at 10:32 PM..
Old 21st July 2015
  #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
For people who do, though, the mouse-hours can be a big health issue. A control surface can cut those hours down by a lot.
I think I know a THING or two about work/health issues... I'm an electrician for a living & near my mid 50's, crawling under houses, up in attics, extending/reaching for my heavy tool bag, lifting, kneeling, bending, stretching, contorting, climbing up/down ladders, holding my neck in unnatural positions...not to mention I can't see, hear, or remember ****...which these last few just serve to piss me off!

I'm in a world of full-time aches & pain, almost everything on my body is worn out having done labor all my life, and no retirement in sight. You full time DAW guys are just a bunch of Nancy boys!

JOKING!
Old 21st July 2015
  #37
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
You full time DAW guys are just a bunch of Nancy boys!
Got that right, Sugar :-)
Old 21st July 2015
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Brian Campbell's Avatar
 

Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard plus Pro Control 16 faders.

Mouse mixing stinks...
Old 21st July 2015
  #39
Gear Maniac
Kensington Expert Trackball +1
Old 21st July 2015
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Joe Porto's Avatar
 

Logitech Marble Trackball on a mouse pad with raised gel wristpad for editing. Ipad for transport. Analog console for mixing.
Old 22nd July 2015
  #41
Lives for gear
 
deng's Avatar
All the input/control devices below as per application requirements and workflow plus 003 controller for hands-on real fader mixing.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you use? Mouse? Track Pad? Other?-desktop.jpg  
Old 24th July 2015
  #42
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deng View Post
All the input/control devices below as per application requirements and workflow plus 003 controller for hands-on real fader mixing.
I like the wireless coffee cup! Where did you buy that?
Old 24th July 2015
  #43
Lives for gear
Big Kensington track ball.

Expert Mouse.

It has saved my hands.
Old 24th July 2015
  #44
Lives for gear
Big Kensington track ball.

Expert Mouse.

It has saved my hands.
Old 24th July 2015
  #45
Lives for gear
 

Logitech MX Master for the most part.
Old 25th July 2015
  #46
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutr2 View Post
I gave everything a descent go, in the end, the Logitech MX performance mouse works best for me.
I love having multiple assignable buttons, it's super fast, super ergonomic + I use a wrist gel.
I use exactly the same setup here, I've found it's totally eliminated any wrist/arm pain for me, and having per-application assignable buttons on the MX is so handy!
Old 1 week ago
  #47
Lives for gear
 
mpresev's Avatar
Ughhh my Magic Mouse keeps disconnecting. WTF.. Apple asked me to take it to the store.
Old 1 week ago
  #48
Lives for gear
Started with the Magic Mouse 2.
Moved onto the Kensington Expert Rollerball.
Magic Trackpad 2 in Space Grey arriving tomorrow.
Old 1 week ago
  #49
Lives for gear
 
~ufo~'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
Moved onto the Kensington Expert Rollerball.
Magic Trackpad 2 in Space Grey arriving tomorrow.
I got my apple keyboard centred at the touch screen.
To the right of the keyboard is my trackball, because I'm a righty.
To the left of my keyboard is the trackpad, which I mainly use for multi touch gestures, like scrolling and (window) navigation.

This gets around the fact that OSX doesn't support touch screens natively, thus I cannot use gestures on the touch screen.

When I'm in windows, I obviously use the trackpad less, just mainly the touch screen.

Yes Apple, regardless of what you might think, it WOULD be helpful TODAY if you added touch support to your OS, while you take your merry time to figure out how to deal with your iOS/MacOS touch conundrum.
Old 1 week ago
  #50
Lives for gear
 
~ufo~'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
There will be an MTi at some point to replace my ProControl
Just an update on that earlier post:
I ended up opting for a 27" with DTouch in stead of of the MTi and I'm happy with my purchase. I liked the MTi too, but there were some things about DTouch that were enticing too, so I decided to give DTouch a try and haven't looked back since.
Old 1 week ago
  #51
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
Yes Apple, regardless of what you might think, it WOULD be helpful TODAY if you added touch support to your OS, while you take your merry time to figure out how to deal with your iOS/MacOS touch conundrum.
Well Apple have rejected the idea so far and it doesn’t look like they’re going to change their stance any time soon.
Old 1 week ago
  #52
Lives for gear
 
~ufo~'s Avatar
I know. They’re hung up about the fact that most of their Macs have screen sizes and form factors that don’t facilitate touch on macOS well. Which is a valid point.
Doesn’t mean you can’t at least start supporting it for pro users, who like to use larger screens.
Oh well, it actually works quite well.
In fact, im told that because of the lack of gesture support, touch feels even snappier on Mac than on Windows.
Old 1 week ago
  #53
Lives for gear
 
brucerothwell's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I tried one of those and it was ultra cool (and fast) but it was pretty fatiguing having to keep my forearms in the air all the time. Not drywalling-a-ceiling bad, but still uncomfortable after a while. I guess I'm a wimp.
It seems I never responded you!

Take a look at my pic -- my touchscreen is mounted horizontally at a 25 degree angle, with a custom-made padded leather arm rest (about the color of Ben Cartwright's leather vest).

No more arm fatigue than when mixing at a real console.
Old 1 week ago
  #54
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
It seems I never responded you!

Take a look at my pic -- my touchscreen is mounted horizontally at a 25 degree angle, with a custom-made padded leather arm rest (about the color of Ben Cartwright's leather vest).

No more arm fatigue than when mixing at a real console.
Eff you for correctly assuming I know what color Ben Cartwright's vest was. :-) Or for that matter, knowing that Ben only had one vest (the whole family only had one change of clothes, apparently).

Anyway, the arm rest's really cool. Well done!
Old 1 week ago
  #55
Gear Maniac
 
jjeffers's Avatar
 

This is so down to personal preference. It’s almost pointless to talk about what I prefer. But then pointless talk is what drives the internet, so...

No matter what I’ve tried, I always end up back on the Logitech MX Master. Magic Mouse is OK but just too flat for me. Trackpad is cool, but I’m still faster with a mouse. Never found a control surface that I thought helped me mix any better/faster, but that’s probably because I “grew up” with a mouse, not a console.
Old 1 week ago
  #56
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
I know. They’re hung up about the fact that most of their Macs have screen sizes and form factors that don’t facilitate touch on macOS well. Which is a valid point.
Doesn’t mean you can’t at least start supporting it for pro users, who like to use larger screens.
Oh well, it actually works quite well.
In fact, im told that because of the lack of gesture support, touch feels even snappier on Mac than on Windows.
It does for me. I use the UPDD gestures app on Mac OS for gestures inside and outside of the DAW and it works incredibly well.
Old 1 week ago
  #57
Lives for gear
 

Trackpad works perfect I find, it has to be set up correct tho.
Old 1 week ago
  #58
Lives for gear
 
brucerothwell's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I tried one of those and it was ultra cool (and fast) but it was pretty fatiguing having to keep my forearms in the air all the time. Not drywalling-a-ceiling bad, but still uncomfortable after a while. I guess I'm a wimp.
It seems I never responded you!

Take a look at my pic -- my touchscreen is mounted horizontally at a 25 degree angle, with a custom-made padded leather arm rest (about the color of Ben Cartwright's leather vest).

No more arm fatigue than when mixing at a real console.
Old 1 week ago
  #59
Gear Nut
 
howseth's Avatar
Wacom Intuos 3 graphic pad and pen working with my DAW (Logic) and iMac.(left over from my Photoshop work. Prefer the pen to my mouse. I use the pen left handed - naturally - but the mouse right handed.)
Old 1 week ago
  #60
Lives for gear
 
brucerothwell's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
Trackpad works perfect I find, it has to be set up correct tho.
Speaking of Trackpad, I have one too.

One issue that gets me once in a while.... if I am dragging an object from one side of the screen to the other, it seems easy to "run out of Trackpad" before I can drop the object where I want it.

In those cases, I have to use a USB trackball that I keep connected.

Anyone know of a key sequence that would keep the object attached whilst re-positioning your fingers to keep the drag going?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump