The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do I record songs from my MPC Renaissance to cassette tape? Drum Pad Controllers
Old 6th July 2015
Here for the gear

How do I record songs from my MPC Renaissance to cassette tape?

I have an old sony cassette deck and wanted to record a few songs onto tape from my MPC for fun. I have standard rca red/black cables that I assume are supposed to run from the line in on the cassette deck, but where do I plug them into the MPC? I've tried a bunch of different combinations but can't get any audio to record to the cassette. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 7th July 2015
Gear Maniac
Buy a cable that plugs into the headphone output on the front panel and has a stereo pair of RCA connectors for the cassette deck. You may see it called a "Y" cable. That's not really the "right way" to do it, but it ought to work.

(TLDR; begins here)
The problem you're facing is that the MPC's stereo out and mix outs each use a pair of 1/4" balanced output jacks.
This is commonly called TRS (tip ring sleeve). By contrast a regular guitar cable plugs into a TS jack (tip sleeve).

It's more obvious to see what the difference is by looking at the plugs they use:

If you try to use the MPC's balanced outputs you cannot just use a cable with a "stereo" 1/4" plug that goes to two RCA plugs. Each output channel on the MPC needs a separate 1/4" plug.

What you would want is a pair of cables that each have a TRS 1/4" plug on one end and an RCA plug on the other. The "ring" part of the 1/4" plug should not be connected to anything. Those are hard to find.

Also those two inviting looking RCA jacks on the MPC are just inputs for a turntable or a tape player.
(TLDR; ends)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search