The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TDIF connectivity and ProTools 11 Native possible (cheap) options? Audio Interfaces
Old 4th July 2015
Here for the gear

TDIF connectivity and ProTools 11 Native possible (cheap) options?

Hello all GS's,

I am in desperate need of some long overdue help from anyone who might be able to offer genuine constructive thoughts. This call out is coming after suffering the ill's of a ProTools TDM system for over 12 years and trying to get it to work properly with my equally old (but still really nice sounding) TM-D8000 console. Protools and TDIF have just never been great friends in my world.
I used to try and make a living from using all this gear but haven't now for many years. Although I am still in music to many degrees (teaching and the odd gigs) and sometimes try and records bands and use it myself for songwriting and ideas.

The reality is I have spent so much time on trying to get this to "work right" for a so long because I custom built my own console system to house the TM-D8000 desk. To me it really is my work of art and took a lot of hard work to get it to come to light. So I am trying to find ways to hold onto this and not have to get rid of it. But it's not looking good and I just really am not sure if I could be bothered to persist with this setup.

My issues/situation are as follows:
1. Yes I know it's a dinosaur (just thought I'd preempt that abundantly clear fact).
2. I have a TM-D8000 connected to 2 x TDIF to ADAT boxes which then connect to an ADAT Bridge and then onto to the Protools Mix cards.
3. I have tried to get this system to be glitch free for more than 10 years as I cannot afford to re-purchase another costly solution which may/will become redundant also. There is something about those old Soundscape converters that is just not good. Trust me, I have been through every darn possible troubleshooting fix with them and more!
4. Issues arise in the form of digital pops and general mayhem when trying to record and monitor more than 8 channels of audio into Protools through the desk.
5. I have almost given up on the fantasy that I can keep TDM 5.1 as it is just becoming that old that it won't talk to anything else between the software itself and the computer OS version it will/must run on.
6. I have been using PT 11 on a laptop which I want to try and interface with the D8000 desk via TDIF but nobody is really supporting that antiquated connection protocol anymore and so interfaces are VERY limited.
7. Oh yeah and I also spent $thousands back in the day setting up a Soundscape Mixtreme system because it already had native TDIF connectivity. But no one wanted to record with you unless you had ProTools so they had the option of taking the session to a bigger studio if needed. And you couldn't use PT without it's hardware ($$) units.

Sooooo... I think I have just about exhausted my research options over all these years, but can anybody think of any possible way that I could easily and effectively use my old 8000 desk by connecting it via 16 channels of TDIF to my native PT 11 laptop without having to spend $3k+ on it?
I guess the reality is that it is still limited to 48k max sample rate so spending too much to achieve this is really just money NOT well spent.

Any other possible avenues that I may not have explored yet are also welcome.

Regards
Steve
Old 5th July 2015
Here for the gear

Motu 2408 mkiii?

Is the above about the only real option for what I am trying to achieve? Seems like it is with it's 24 channels of ADAT to TDIF conversion and 8 analogue inputs and can also do 96k.

Does anybody know if these units can be used with PT 11 without the PCI card? I know they will function as a signal converter but not sure if they allow the analogue inputs to be active without...

Cheers
Steve
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search