The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mac Mini (2014) 2.8ghz i5 / 8gb RAM / 1tb fusion drive Desktop Synthesizers
Old 4th July 2015
Here for the gear

Mac Mini (2014) 2.8ghz i5 / 8gb RAM / 1tb fusion drive

Hey All,

in your opinion(s) does the Mac Mini described above have enough firepower to smoothly run Logic Pro X? LPX would pretty much be the only thing I would use the Mac Mini for. Thanks for the help!
Old 4th July 2015
Lives for gear

Just barely, last year's top end Mini was powered by a quad i7.

The older discontinued model would have about twice the CPU power vs the current top end model.( for about the same money )

It will run Logic, but you won't have much power for virtual instruments, and effects.

You will probably have to freeze and bounce tracks to complete a mix.

Old 4th July 2015
Lives for gear
I don't know the current state of things but last year when I was looking for a new Mac people (both here) and on other forums warned NOT to get fusion drives... You might want to search around before committing to one
Old 5th July 2015
Lives for gear

Fusion drives are fine for system drives, you just don't want to use it for recording.

Old 5th July 2015
Gear Addict

I would stay away from that 2014 Mac Mini. Just has a Core 2 Duo CPU in it. Even using Logic you are not going to be able to do large projects or use lots of effects on small projects. The older model with the i7 is worth buying used, IMO.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search