The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Software sampler that does this..? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 3rd July 2015
Lives for gear

Software sampler that does this..?

Hi all!

I believe I have access to the most popular software samplers; EXS24, Kontakt, Simpler/Sampler in Live, Phalanx and Nuance.

None of them seem to be able to do what I want; I have a gazillion short synth samples on my system, (like i.e. the Vengeance Synth Shots) and I would love to be able to drop one into a sampler, play my keys, then if it's not what I'm looking for, skip to the next sample on my drive. Every one of those samplers requires me to actually LOAD the sample and make a program for it, where I just want to skip thru them, as if I'm skipping thru presets on a synth.

Am I missing a brilliant software sampler??

Thanks for any suggestions!
Steve

PS: I realise that I could put in the effort of actually making sampler-programs for all those sounds, but I have SO many..! And a lot of them are great too, so it's a shame there is no decent way to put them to use.
Old 3rd July 2015
Gear Maniac

This is more of a hardware issue than a software issue. Presets on a synth are much smaller in size and are loading from RAM or internal ROM chip. On the computer, the samples are usually larger in size (even short samples) and load from the hard drive. You can greatly reduce load times by using an solid state drive or an set of solid state drives in RAID 0 configuration.
Old 3rd July 2015
Gear Maniac
The load time isn't so much the issue... it's more that making that preset each time you want to try out a sample takes too long, and making presets for everything in advance will also eat time like a pacman. So yeah, it's a software issue!

The idea of something that will let you scroll through all your samples quickly (as the hard drive will allow), ideally with a built in auto-tune, is an attractive one. Can edit them in something more powerful afterwards if needs be.
Old 3rd July 2015
Gear Maniac
TAL have put a new sampler out, might be worth checking if that does the job.

TAL - Togu Audio Line: TAL-Sampler
Old 3rd July 2015
Lives for gear

One option is to use the same name for each sample, not sure if that's easier for you or not. I've done this with Kontakt making 'footstep' patches. I.E., when making the first patch I named the samples 'footstep_heal_01' , 'footstep_toe_01'. This was for footsteps on concrete. Then when I made the carpet patch, I used the same names so I didn't have to rebuild the instrument.

Just use a easy, simple name. A single letter for instance. Then when you want to check out the next sample, drop it in the samples folder of your Kontakt patch and it won't know the difference.

Maybe there's a slicker way?
Old 3rd July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickflip View Post
The load time isn't so much the issue... it's more that making that preset each time you want to try out a sample takes too long, and making presets for everything in advance will also eat time like a pacman. So yeah, it's a software issue!

The idea of something that will let you scroll through all your samples quickly (as the hard drive will allow), ideally with a built in auto-tune, is an attractive one. Can edit them in something more powerful afterwards if needs be.
Yes, you seem to exactly understand what I mean! I wasn't sure if I was clear in my description of the issue.
Thanks for the TAL suggestion, I will check that out!
Old 3rd July 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbackdoor View Post
Yes, you seem to exactly understand what I mean! I wasn't sure if I was clear in my description of the issue.
Thanks for the TAL suggestion, I will check that out!
Oh yeah, I definitely know what you mean, I've wanted the exact same thing for years

Was pretty surprised to find it wasn't a standard feature. On most soft samplers I've owned, I've had a go at setting up presets for everything, but got caught up with other more urgent things.

Let me know how the TAL sampler goes!
Old 3rd July 2015
Lives for gear

Kickflip, good news; TAL sampler does exactly this. Happy sampling, thanks for this tip!
Old 3rd July 2015
Lives for gear

With EXS24 you can make an Instrument, make a zone, load a sample, set the key range and so forth, then from the edit window, click on the little triangle to the right of the sample's name and select "Load Audio Sample" dialog. This will open a file selector window and there will be a check-box at the bottom that says "Preview audio sample in EXS Instrument" - turn this check-box ON, and now you can play the keyboard while you navigate around different folders full of samples and whichever one is selected will play inside the zone you started with.

It's not exactly what you've described that you want, but it's close. You do still need to make a dummy Instrument with at least one zone, but you don't have to name or save the Instrument until you've selected a sample to use. This also works with more complex multi-sample Instruments like drum kits - select an Instrument, program a beat, get it looping, then open the editor, select a zone, and choose "Load Audio Sample" and now you can scroll through different kick drums or whatever while the beat is looping. Just be careful as you are now editing an Instrument that you might have used in another song and if you save it without renaming that other song will now have the new kick sample in the Instrument it needs.

And, yes, TAL Sampler does what you want as well - plus it is very simple and can sound gritty as hell.
Old 3rd July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
With EXS24 you can make an Instrument, make a zone, load a sample, set the key range and so forth, then from the edit window, click on the little triangle to the right of the sample's name and select "Load Audio Sample" dialog. This will open a file selector window and there will be a check-box at the bottom that says "Preview audio sample in EXS Instrument" - turn this check-box ON, and now you can play the keyboard while you navigate around different folders full of samples and whichever one is selected will play inside the zone you started with.

It's not exactly what you've described that you want, but it's close. You do still need to make a dummy Instrument with at least one zone, but you don't have to name or save the Instrument until you've selected a sample to use. This also works with more complex multi-sample Instruments like drum kits - select an Instrument, program a beat, get it looping, then open the editor, select a zone, and choose "Load Audio Sample" and now you can scroll through different kick drums or whatever while the beat is looping. Just be careful as you are now editing an Instrument that you might have used in another song and if you save it without renaming that other song will now have the new kick sample in the Instrument it needs.

And, yes, TAL Sampler does what you want as well - plus it is very simple and can sound gritty as hell.
In all my years with the EXS24 I never knew this, thanks so much for this trick!
Old 4th July 2015
Gear Maniac
Live's Simpler (I guess Sampler too) has a "hot swap" button that looks like a "recycling" symbol, if you hover over the sample waveform display (it appears in the bottom right of the waveform display).
Then you can browse the samples using the arrow keys and pressing enter, it will load them "live" in Simpler.
Not 100% what you described (enter is an extra step), but maybe it is useful.
Old 4th July 2015
Gear Nut
wait, you mean Tal-sampler will fish out the sample's root note by itself then map it properly to the keyboard as I cycle through the folder? is that what's going on here? if so damn I need that thing asap
Old 4th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcm View Post
wait, you mean Tal-sampler will fish out the sample's root note by itself then map it properly to the keyboard as I cycle through the folder? is that what's going on here? if so damn I need that thing asap
I'm afraid not! :-) That would be amazing, who knows, perhaps they can work that out for a later version!
Old 4th July 2015
Gear Maniac
Worth submitting it as a feature request!
Old 4th July 2015
Gear Nut
Ahh. It was too good to be true. Whoever codes that first in his sampler gets my interest for sure in any case.
Old 4th July 2015
Gear Maniac
Drop them a line. I'm going to, if enough people ask they might put it in there. Would definitely be a handy feature and there's potential extra sales that can arise from it.
Old 4th July 2015
Gear Addict

I've been out of the loop for a long time, but if the original sample was saved in .wav format (as I remember being able to buy samples in this format over a decade ago), then it was easy enough to play through the files very fast.

I opened up file manager in Windows, for example, and the plug-in or Media Player within Windows would play the sound. I used to go through the whole library of samples, stored in a folder, in no time at all.

When I found the sample/sound I liked, would then import it to my Kurzweil and proceed from there to create the Program, etc., to use however I wished.

So if I were recording sounds, I would save them in the .wav format (or MP3), and then choose to sell them or give them away, but that would make using them very easy.
Old 4th July 2015
Gear Maniac
It's not about playing through the files fast, it's about being able to play them on a keyboard with as few clicks as possible.
Old 4th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickflip View Post
It's not about playing through the files fast, it's about being able to play them on a keyboard with as few clicks as possible.
Yep, this. And TAL offers that, finally.
Old 5th July 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbackdoor View Post

PS: I realise that I could put in the effort of actually making sampler-programs for all those sounds, but I have SO many..! And a lot of them are great too, so it's a shame there is no decent way to put them to use.
get an intern ??? create a job - LOL .. would be great if Kontakt did this - maybe someday .. K5 tkaes quite a bit of time to load up .. and as you say you need to put in the time and make Instruments for them .. i have taken a bit of time and do a little more each time ..

i am curious about the TAL as well - thx for asking the question ... cheers john
Old 5th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
get an intern ??? create a job - LOL .. would be great if Kontakt did this - maybe someday .. K5 tkaes quite a bit of time to load up .. and as you say you need to put in the time and make Instruments for them .. i have taken a bit of time and do a little more each time ..

i am curious about the TAL as well - thx for asking the question ... cheers john
You can use AudioFinder from IcedAudio to automatically batch-create EXS instruments. Just select a bunch of files in its file list, select "Convert to EXS Instrument" from the menu, and boom - eight zillion EXS instruments, one for each sample. The root key is C3 and they get mapped across the entire keyboard.

These EXS Instruments can then be loaded directly into Kontakt, or you can use Chicken Systems Translator to batch convert them into Kontakt files so they don't need to auto-convert as they load. Chicken Systems also makes other tools to batch-create Kontakt instruments from whole folders of samples.

Not exactly what OP wanted, but these tools sure cut down on the need to have an intern sit there all day manually making instruments out of single samples. I use the AudioFinder method all the time to make zillions of single-sample EXS instruments, then load them into EXS, choose "Delete Settings" to strip out all the default filter and envelope settings, then select one of my template Instruments that has the desired settings, then when you call up each of the Instruments that has the settings stripped out, the settings from the template will be automatically applied and you can then select "Save Settings to Instruments" and now all those auto-created instruments will inherit the template settings. You do have to do it one at a time for each of the new instruments, but with some tricky key commands you can just roll through a whole folder really quickly.

Last edited by charlieclouser; 5th July 2015 at 06:05 AM..
Old 5th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post

thanks! I just downloaded a ton of singe cycle waves for my octatrack and was wondering on an effective way to audition them for usefulness before I transfer them. this method may be the easiest.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search