The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is the best direction to go?
Old 2nd July 2015
What is the best direction to go?

In a few months I'm going to have to get a new computer. I'm probably going to build one from the ground up via newegg.

Late last year Avid sent me an email saying I had to upgrade my Pro Tools by a certain date or have to repurchase the entire software. I was broke and now it's 6 or 7 months later and still broke and now they want $900? Is that even true though? If I remember right I couldn't upgrade because my computer is 32 bit and or I didn't see the use. Is it worth it to stay with Pro tools or start from scratch and try a new software? Old recordings I guess would be a consideration. I haven't been following things but remember they were saying if you didn't upgrade sometime in December you lose out and have to re-purchase the software. Did that cause some blow back? I imagine quite a few people have PT's M-Powered. The option of just status quo is not really an option anymore because my compuker is dying. Clock is running about 6-7 minutes fast, almost a daily view of the ocean(blue screen)and this machine can no longer handle multimedia. So reality is coming into play. I figure my new computer is going to cost about $1200 to build.
Old 2nd July 2015
Lives for gear

Hi,
The Pro Tools M-Powered to Pro Tools 11 upgrade is like $199.00. Some retailers still have it available.
If you want version 12 and don't want to deal buying upgrades all the time the maybe the Pro Tools 12 1 year subscription version would be better for you.

Personally I'd say dump it and go to what I think is a better DAW which is Cubase 8 Pro. :P But if you have a lot of old projects that you want to have access to then.

Some people I know dealing with similar situations and wanting to switch from PT et the monthly $25.0 sub and use it juts long enough to open up old sessions and bounce down all the audio tracks stems so then can bring them into any DAW to mix again. Some of the plugging though might be missing if there is not a AAX version available, But at least you can get the audio tracks out. Possibly the MIDI/VI tracks as well depending on the instruments used.

Then you can use some fo these old sessions as a basis to remix them to help you learn the new DAW.

Other than Cubase Pro 8 Studio One seems to be a pretty common option some of our customers have been choosing to replace or supplement Pro Tools.
Any of the Daws will co exist fine with Pro Tools.

If you have a M-Audio firewire or USB interface then that will work fine any new system you buy or build yourself.
I it is a PCI cad or one of the really old USB interfaces then you will have to replace it but there are some great interfaces available nowadays that are under $500 that work and sound great.

$1200 to $1500 range will get you a good custom built DAW. You can also build a great rig in that price range as well.

Chris
Old 2nd July 2015
Lives for gear
Let go Pro Tools and go Reaper (60 bucks)
Old 2nd July 2015
If you're on PC you should seriously consider Reaper or, if you're ok with a dongle and to spend more $ but have more built-in effects and instruments, Cubase. Getting the Pro Tools subscription for a month and bouncing down your old projects for re-importing into Reaper or Cubase is probably the most cost-effective way of doing this.

I just built a pc with an i7 4790k, asus z97 board and 16 gigs of ram and it's incredible running Reaper. My heaviest project ( over 100 tracks, nearly 300 plugs and bunch of instances of Kontakt) opens under 5 seconds ( that's including the program start up time!). my z97 motherboard has 2 pci slots that work fine with my old firewire card. If you get the x99 motheroboards ( for the newer processors), you won't have the old pci slots so you need to budget for a pcie firewire card.
Old 2nd July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKChris View Post
Hi,
The Pro Tools M-Powered to Pro Tools 11 upgrade is like $199.00. Some retailers still have it available.
If you want version 12 and don't want to deal buying upgrades all the time the maybe the Pro Tools 12 1 year subscription version would be better for you.

Personally I'd say dump it and go to what I think is a better DAW which is Cubase 8 Pro. :P But if you have a lot of old projects that you want to have access to then.

Some people I know dealing with similar situations and wanting to switch from PT et the monthly $25.0 sub and use it juts long enough to open up old sessions and bounce down all the audio tracks stems so then can bring them into any DAW to mix again. Some of the plugging though might be missing if there is not a AAX version available, But at least you can get the audio tracks out. Possibly the MIDI/VI tracks as well depending on the instruments used.

Then you can use some fo these old sessions as a basis to remix them to help you learn the new DAW.

Other than Cubase Pro 8 Studio One seems to be a pretty common option some of our customers have been choosing to replace or supplement Pro Tools.
Any of the Daws will co exist fine with Pro Tools.

If you have a M-Audio firewire or USB interface then that will work fine any new system you buy or build yourself.
I it is a PCI cad or one of the really old USB interfaces then you will have to replace it but there are some great interfaces available nowadays that are under $500 that work and sound great.

$1200 to $1500 range will get you a good custom built DAW. You can also build a great rig in that price range as well.

Chris
Thanks Chris,

It's no doubt going to be a decision to make later. Could be quite the fuss if I can't find the software too. Might even be better to consider another format since basically my productions are purposely basic. I'd rather record songs than tracks. I also don't use a lot of effects. I mean if my voice starts going "it's a time for changgge" I don't need Autotune, it just means I'm hitting my 2nd puberty . Really I tend to use compressors, eq, and convolution reverb. I'd rather have more physical instruments or sounds than plug ins. I doubt I pay $800 for things I'll never use. I'm a 4 or 8 track reel to reel away from the world of digital recording.
Old 2nd July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
If you're on PC you should seriously consider Reaper or, if you're ok with a dongle and to spend more $ but have more built-in effects and instruments, Cubase. Getting the Pro Tools subscription for a month and bouncing down your old projects for re-importing into Reaper or Cubase is probably the most cost-effective way of doing this.

I just built a pc with an i7 4790k, asus z97 board and 16 gigs of ram and it's incredible running Reaper. My heaviest project ( over 100 tracks, nearly 300 plugs and bunch of instances of Kontakt) opens under 5 seconds ( that's including the program start up time!). my z97 motherboard has 2 pci slots that work fine with my old firewire card. If you get the x99 motheroboards ( for the newer processors), you won't have the old pci slots so you need to budget for a pcie firewire card.
I'll look into that but as I told the other guy the whole renting software is starting to irk me. My mentality is stop, play, record, rewind, fast forward. I still have to work in the digital though. Probably will need a new interface. Never really liked anything called m-audio.
Old 2nd July 2015
Lives for gear

Avid is just after the bucks these days, many users are jumping to other Companies DAW's with better business ethics. Only you can decide if you want to give Avid more of your money and I wish you luck with that decision. As for me, I dumped my HD rig 3 years ago when I saw Avid's greedy moves and callus view of their customers. I moved on to Studio One v2, I'm now on v3 and I'm much happier, but if Presonus goes the Avid route and forgets who their customers are, I'll jump to another DAW. As always, to each their own.
Old 2nd July 2015
Lives for gear

You have multiple options other than Pro Tools. Demo them and find the one you like.

Studio One, Cubase, Reaper, Digital Performer are some of the well known ones.
Old 2nd July 2015
This kind of crap from Avid as well as others, it figures. I would not ever reward any company that practice such tactics to swindle you out of your hard earned money. I'd also drop it :FUAVID:

Me, I'm on an affair with 'old school' and will continue. Legacy hardware, OS & DAW software. It will work for me for the rest of my life if I choose, I never need (or will be forced) to upgrade/update/replace.

With especially older/legacy software, much less devious tactics were generally implemented. Those were different times, but now they've had a lot of experience in milking their customer base, and finding new ways to continue to get money out of you

Yep, I've threatened to go back to tape myself a few times! But, I've been stocking up and replicating my DAW machines, so that I can stay where I'm at now with the technology I've been using since before & ending at about 2008.

A special SCREW YOU to all the companies that attempt SCREW their customers, I will not be buying! On the other hand, I will continue to support the market of 'used' products, and at the same time reduce the worlds junk pile
Old 3rd July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Avid is just after the bucks these days, many users are jumping to other Companies DAW's with better business ethics. Only you can decide if you want to give Avid more of your money and I wish you luck with that decision. As for me, I dumped my HD rig 3 years ago when I saw Avid's greedy moves and callus view of their customers. I moved on to Studio One v2, I'm now on v3 and I'm much happier, but if Presonus goes the Avid route and forgets who their customers are, I'll jump to another DAW. As always, to each their own.
If I can still upgrade for $200 it might be okay as a temporary fix. I have to consider those audio interfaces as well which I'm not finding have a product I need. I really just need 2 channels and don't need no "high quality" mic preamp blah blah. I use external mic pre's. no sense in buying more of what you don't need. They come across like a drug dealer who gives out free samples and then lets the pieces fall into place. Now I wonder about some other plugins I purchased from Waves if I can still use them. What a racket.
Old 3rd July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by timemist View Post
You have multiple options other than Pro Tools. Demo them and find the one you like.

Studio One, Cubase, Reaper, Digital Performer are some of the well known ones.
Oh yeah I know but I have to weigh cost of using a new program. It's possible though one of the low "artist" level programs would do it since I use so little in the way of plugins. I also have plugins I can import(assume) from Waves. I basically use compressor, EQ, and reverb(looking to get a new convolution reverb using that free one).
Old 3rd July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
This kind of crap from Avid as well as others, it figures. I would not ever reward any company that practice such tactics to swindle you out of your hard earned money. I'd also drop it :FUAVID:

Me, I'm on an affair with 'old school' and will continue. Legacy hardware, OS & DAW software. It will work for me for the rest of my life if I choose, I never need (or will be forced) to upgrade/update/replace.

With especially older/legacy software, much less devious tactics were generally implemented. Those were different times, but now they've had a lot of experience in milking their customer base, and finding new ways to continue to get money out of you

Yep, I've threatened to go back to tape myself a few times! But, I've been stocking up and replicating my DAW machines, so that I can stay where I'm at now with the technology I've been using since before & ending at about 2008.

A special SCREW YOU to all the companies that attempt SCREW their customers, I will not be buying! On the other hand, I will continue to support the market of 'used' products, and at the same time reduce the worlds junk pile
I hear yeah. I've not made a huge investment but then again Itunes isn't featuring me on the front page along with the payola artists. I mostly do it for amusement. Although I do occasionally sell an album or songs etc. Like I mentioned above I was looking at the new audio interfaces and they seem all geared towards though who either have nothing or are scrapping their hardware. If I'm no longer using my cheap m-audio soundcard then all i want is 2 high quality USB channels to get a few mic pre into the compuker. No mic pre's just a solid signal path. I only looked through one catalog and it seemed so overblown. I'm sure someone made a product. I just have to get a compuker for business in general other than that I'd much rather buy hardware. I don't want to buy any more amp modelers I'd much rather buy a new boutique tube amp.
Old 3rd July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychedelictrip View Post
Oh yeah I know but I have to weigh cost of using a new program. It's possible though one of the low "artist" level programs would do it since I use so little in the way of plugins. I also have plugins I can import(assume) from Waves. I basically use compressor, EQ, and reverb(looking to get a new convolution reverb using that free one).
Most DAW providers offer cross-grade pricing which is usually substantially lower than regular retail, and any one of them would love to help you step away from Pro Tools.

As far as plugins, as long as your plugin maker supports VST, you should be good to go.
Old 3rd July 2015
Lives for gear
If you're on a budget, PT is probably not a good choice going forward. Even if you upgrade now, you'll never be able to upgrade again unless you buy a yearly support contract. For vanilla PT, that's $199 per year. So consider the long term costs in addition to the upgrade itself.

There are lots of good alternatives. I use Pro Tools and Samplitude, but I will not be upgrading my current version of PT.

From what I've heard, Reaper is the best for the money.

Quote:
In a few months I'm going to have to get a new computer. I'm probably going to build one from the ground up via newegg.

Late last year Avid sent me an email saying I had to upgrade my Pro Tools by a certain date or have to repurchase the entire software. I was broke and now it's 6 or 7 months later and still broke and now they want $900? Is that even true though? If I remember right I couldn't upgrade because my computer is 32 bit and or I didn't see the use. Is it worth it to stay with Pro tools or start from scratch and try a new software? Old recordings I guess would be a consideration. I haven't been following things but remember they were saying if you didn't upgrade sometime in December you lose out and have to re-purchase the software. Did that cause some blow back? I imagine quite a few people have PT's M-Powered. The option of just status quo is not really an option anymore because my compuker is dying. Clock is running about 6-7 minutes fast, almost a daily view of the ocean(blue screen)and this machine can no longer handle multimedia. So reality is coming into play. I figure my new computer is going to cost about $1200 to build.
Old 3rd July 2015
Lives for gear

The gist of this entire thread is going to be simple: look at alternatives to Pro Tools. They are many, and many are very capable (arguably more so than PT).

It's excellent advice given the information you've provided.
Old 4th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by timemist View Post
Most DAW providers offer cross-grade pricing which is usually substantially lower than regular retail, and any one of them would love to help you step away from Pro Tools.

As far as plugins, as long as your plugin maker supports VST, you should be good to go.
That's a good point, thanks.
Old 4th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
If you're on a budget, PT is probably not a good choice going forward. Even if you upgrade now, you'll never be able to upgrade again unless you buy a yearly support contract. For vanilla PT, that's $199 per year. So consider the long term costs in addition to the upgrade itself.

There are lots of good alternatives. I use Pro Tools and Samplitude, but I will not be upgrading my current version of PT.

From what I've heard, Reaper is the best for the money.
Oh trust me that whole concept of renting software irks me. I'll probably have to do that for Adobe. It is a tax write off though. I do and will use such software for my business.
Old 4th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
The gist of this entire thread is going to be simple: look at alternatives to Pro Tools. They are many, and many are very capable (arguably more so than PT).

It's excellent advice given the information you've provided.
Oh I know i'm just weighing the options. I'm slow moving because I'm broke. I'm consumed by production and selling things not related and it limits my focus.
Old 4th July 2015
Lives for gear
The $199 per year is not renting software. You own the software license when you purchase an upgrade, but you must buy a support plan for $199 per year to allow you to continue to purchase license upgrades.

Confusing? Yes. But if ever want to upgrade your software without paying full purchase price you need to buy the yearly support plan.

Which is why my current version of PT will be my last.

Quote:
Oh trust me that whole concept of renting software irks me. I'll probably have to do that for Adobe. It is a tax write off though. I do and will use such software for my business.
Old 5th July 2015
Lives for gear

Steinberg interfaces one with a lite versión of cubase, it might be enough for you.
Old 5th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Is Pro Tools seriously $900 is this day and this environment? **** em... Seriously it may be worth learning another piece of software at that point if you not making money off Pro Tools. $900 is not competitive with the hobbyist market.

I don't use a "cheap" host by any means. I'm a Cubase person and it isn't cheap. The upgrades are costly, not that you actually have to upgrade, I just do. I've been familiar with Logic, Sonar, and Studio One as well. All hosts priced to sell and get the job done very well.

You may want to save some money and put more cash into your PC. With the newer 6 and 8 core desktop processors, they go a long way as far as processing power. Intel should have some new chips out in a month or so too.

Also, if you PC is blue screening, it may be time for a fresh install. I know it won't solve the 64 bit issue but it will keep you working.
Old 5th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
The $199 per year is not renting software. You own the software license when you purchase an upgrade, but you must buy a support plan for $199 per year to allow you to continue to purchase license upgrades.

Confusing? Yes. But if ever want to upgrade your software without paying full purchase price you need to buy the yearly support plan.

Which is why my current version of PT will be my last.
Yes it is confusing. And it certainly sounds ridiculous when I don't ask for support. Whomever came up with the idea probably used to sell an addictive substance. There are options galore though.
Old 5th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
Steinberg interfaces one with a lite versión of cubase, it might be enough for you.
Yeah some of those are $100.
Old 5th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymanx View Post
Is Pro Tools seriously $900 is this day and this environment? **** em... Seriously it may be worth learning another piece of software at that point if you not making money off Pro Tools. $900 is not competitive with the hobbyist market.

I don't use a "cheap" host by any means. I'm a Cubase person and it isn't cheap. The upgrades are costly, not that you actually have to upgrade, I just do. I've been familiar with Logic, Sonar, and Studio One as well. All hosts priced to sell and get the job done very well.

You may want to save some money and put more cash into your PC. With the newer 6 and 8 core desktop processors, they go a long way as far as processing power. Intel should have some new chips out in a month or so too.

Also, if you PC is blue screening, it may be time for a fresh install. I know it won't solve the 64 bit issue but it will keep you working.
I've actually replaced the entire motherboard, processor, case before. Some of the elements are from the original build dating back to 2006. I'm looking at the 6 core now but like you say Intel will come out with a new one and the motherboard companies will already be in step. Gonna take some saving. I'll probably be making a new wishlist on Newegg. Fresh install would be hard because I no longer have the operating system disc. Also I really don't feel like doing that right now because I need this computer for my business. I'm not worried about learning curves either because I record in a simple way. If I don't like a take I redo it I tend to not build composite tracks. Learning is all intuitive for me.
Old 5th July 2015
Quote:
Gonna take some saving. I'll probably be making a new wishlist on Newegg. Fresh install would be hard because I no longer have the operating system disc. Also I really don't feel like doing that right now because I need this computer for my business. I'm not worried about learning curves either because I record in a simple way. If I don't like a take I redo it I tend to not build composite tracks. Learning is all intuitive for me.
If you are using your computer for your business, not to mention your music, and you don't have your OS disks then you are 1 step from major disaster.

Just MNSHO
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search