The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Very few posts about the SPL Madison Digital Converters
Old 25th June 2015
Lives for gear

Very few posts about the SPL Madison

As I look through the posts and do a quick search I find very little feedback from the SPL Madison converters.

Is it because it's a MADI only converter and many people are not using the professional format?

It's the best converter I have used to date and I'm not one for pushing the finer nuances of different converters.

It just makes me wonder why there are things people rave about that I've tried in all aspects of audio and only found passable and I try something like the Madison and think it's great and yet there is no media hype about it.
Old 25th June 2015
Gear Guru

No idea. I like mine, too. Sounds sweet.
Old 25th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
No idea. I like mine, too. Sounds sweet.
I'm not alone then I was feeling insecure
Old 2nd July 2015
The spl madison converters are simply great. I have had them for about a month ( replaced ssl alphalink and lavry ad10) and my mixes sound much much better. I find myself boosting frequencies that I wouldnt dare boosting before and it sounds smooth balanced and wide with great reach and depth.
I am clocking mine with mytek studioclock and it sounds different than the internal clock. The mytek gives it an airier character and the internal clock is more...rock&roll, thick yet defined low mids and a touch darker. Both clocks sound great though.
I have tried a lot of converters and I think I like the spl more. Soon I am getting a second unit to bring my system up to 32 channels.
Old 30th August 2015
Everybody has probably seen my posts on these but just wanted to pipe in again on how great they are
Old 19th June 2016
Figured I'd add my experience to the most recent thread on GS.. I used to have two Madisons, but sold one when I downsized my project studio.

Planning on getting the BLA mod for my box sometime this year.

Last edited by Rasi; 11th December 2016 at 10:43 AM..
Old 11th December 2016
I got my converter back with the Black Lion Audio mod for my SPL Madison this week, and final conclusion:

It is worth the price for anyone doing lots of roundtrips through outboard gear and back into the box.

Notable improvements:
Much tighter low-mids (stock sounds "smeared")
Better transient response on inputs
Overall stereo image is improved
Highs are somewhat more "euphonic" as opposed to sterile

Con I feel like the deep lowend is less hyped now, yet the range the converter can reproduce hasn't changed. No bass extension unfortunately. Saving for that Burl A/D!

Linked below is a Drive folder showing a quick before/after with 4 different bounces. Each bounce contains digital sound sources going through a minimum 2 to 3 pieces of outboard gear, with the exact same settings and the exact same "warmup time", before and after bouncing. I rendered each track at 44.1 kHz / 16-bit WAV immediately before my vacation and mailed the Madison to BLA for modding. Not a single knob was touched during the 3 weeks it took to get my converter back from BLA. All ITB sound sources are digital, and thus the exact same when I returned. All outboard instruments are also digital, and so the exact same preset was used for the before/after bounces. The Madison is using its internal clock, with my RME PCIe MADI card slaved to its clock via MADI.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...HM?usp=sharing

Thank you Black Lion Audio for a sweet mod at a fair price! Shout out to Sid! A very friendly guy who was always available via the shop's landline!

Last edited by Rasi; 11th December 2016 at 10:40 AM..
Old 10th May 2018
Gear Head

I love my Madison's . I have two and hope to get third soon for 48 channels through my patch bay ...cant wait....!

C
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search