The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New APOLLO blackface Converters Audio Interfaces
Old 6th November 2015
I have an Apollo Twin Solo and can run 2 Neve Pres so I am quite certain you can run 8 on a quad.
Old 7th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicianof1 View Post
I have an Apollo Twin Solo and can run 2 Neve Pres so I am quite certain you can run 8 on a quad.
MKII version Neve's?

Can you run the Neve EQ's at the same time?

And at what sample rate?
Old 7th November 2015
Lives for gear

I can get 8 1073 mkII Unison pre's with EQ using the 8p up to 96k and 4 1073 w/EQ at 192.
Old 7th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tholen View Post
I can get 8 1073 mkII Unison pre's with EQ using the 8p up to 96k and 4 1073 w/EQ at 192.
Interesting.

I've read posts in the UAD forum that those with the Quad could only get 8 instances of the 1073 MKII unison if they're at 44.1/48k.
Old 7th November 2015
Lives for gear

I'm able to get 8 with EQ at 96k...here's a screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
New APOLLO blackface Converters-screen-shot-2-.jpg  
Old 7th November 2015
Lives for gear

I can't seem to post a fullsize screenshot here at gearslutz...WTF am I doing wrong?
Old 7th November 2015
Gear Guru

Try using an image server like Photobucket or something like that. Upload your picture (no space bar characters in the file name, gearslutz doesn't like that) then use the image URL button on gearslutz to embed your image in your post. It's the little yellow square with a mountain in it. Or maybe those are pyramids...
Old 7th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Try using an image server like Photobucket or something like that. Upload your picture (no space bar characters in the file name, gearslutz doesn't like that) then use the image URL button on gearslutz to embed your image in your post. It's the little yellow square with a mountain in it. Or maybe those are pyramids...
OK, I was trying to avoid using another service, I've been around here for a while now and I never remember having such a hard time post a ****ing picture.

Old 7th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm able to get 8 with EQ at 96k...here's a screenshot.
Yeah, I wasn't doubting you, just find it interesting/strange that some can do this at 96k while others can't, etc.
Old 7th November 2015
Lives for gear

Interesting, I didn't know others were having issues.
Old 17th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting, I didn't know others were having issues.
Did you disable 'Loadlock'? And turn of sections of the processor?

According to UAD's instance chart, you would only get 8 instances @ 44.1k. In the footnotes at the bottom of the chart it inferred you could get more (like say 96k) if you turned off 'Loadlock' and 'sections of the processor'---though they didn't specify which/what 'sections'.

http://www.uaudio.com/support/uad/co...nce-chart.html
Old 19th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0G0MRM0J0 View Post
That's what the guys @ UA have mentioned to me as well... with all the rest of the items packed in their box, they do not have room for 4 additional shark chips. Yet- they somehow made a satellite octo.

BTW... they came out with new converters on the Apollo blackface versions because some other, unnamed competitors, came out with a new interface and slightly beat them on some of the spec's. These were a response to that.

And- the Apollo Tweed thing- well that's also an allusion to Rocky.

https://yt3.ggpht.com/-bAScdrbJatg/A...k-no/photo.jpg
Out of curiosity... What's the other interface?
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear

I would guess the Apogee EnsembleThunderbolt.
Old 23rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Agreed. I did a blind test and I picked a clear favorite, I was sure it was the BLA mod. But then I checked the files and it was the stock Apollo that I preferred by a mile.

Be really sure that's what you want before going there. It's not for everybody is what I'm saying. And it's very expensive. Which means you could buy a Symphony instead, or whatever.
I've got a Silver Apollo, a Symphony and a Burl B2 all hooked up together, Dan and I use the Apollo with it's crappy converters more than the other two

People make way too much out of this conversion thing. Plug any of them up and make some music, you know?
Old 23rd November 2015
Lives for gear

I went from an Apollo Twin to a new black Apollo 8 recently.

I felt a slight improvement, but not overwhelmingly different.

The new Apollo felt a little more strong-sounding if that makes any sense. Slightly crisper in the mids?

That said, I was happy with the Twin's conversion.

With this level of quality, if my mixes are lacking, it is the gear between my ears that needs to get better.
Old 23rd November 2015
Lives for gear

On a Mac, is it possible to use an apogee ensemble as the main interface and also have an Apollo twin connected which would only be used to run UAD plugins...? I am thinking that could be fairly versatile...
Old 23rd November 2015
I have an Apollo 8P. I mostly record acoustic instruments and so far I think its great. I might prefer the sound of a Neve desk with Burl converters, in fact I'm sure I would, but the small differences between an Ensemble and an Apollo are nullified by the quality of the UA plug-ins which I use allot. I do not have space for a full out hardware rig. And that's fine since I am a musician first and an engineer second. What is truly of concern to me is the quality of the instruments, the microphones and the performance and the room, not necessarily in that order or in any order. If all that is good I know I can make great recordings with my Apollo. So many gear decisions are made not based upon actual technological performance but rather perceived hipness. Nothing wrong with that when you are setting up a commercial space. Then you want the most popular gear to attract customers. But when your goal is to just record music you need not be so circumspect and can decide based more on your specific needs.
Old 23rd November 2015
I would also add that improving my engineering skills will make more of a difference than swapping converters.
Old 24th November 2015
Gear Guru

Can you imagine how many of your favorite albums were recorded with conversion less than Apollo's? I think that rests the case right there. These things sound pretty good. I also have a silver faced Apollo and am not really in any big rush to upgrade. I would put the Steinberg UR824 and Tascam UH-7000 in the same bracket of sound quality for anyone with smaller or lower budget needs. I use those, too.
Old 2nd December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Did you disable 'Loadlock'? And turn of sections of the processor?
It's working with or without LoadLock on. I'm not having any issues so far, I must say that I have not actually run a full blown tracking session with this rig yet so we will see but in theory it should be fine.
Old 2nd December 2015
Here for the gear

Orpheus/Apollo 8

I have an (old) Orpheus & a new blackface Apollo 8. Both sound great. I have not made extensive tests, but maybe the Orpheus is cleaner & the UA a little more coloured. Great to have the option to choose which you like re: the instrument or the style you're mixing. I had an Apollo Twin & hated it - for me the conversion was very bad, sounding small & constricted. There is great progress with the new blackface converters, now UA can compete with Prism.
Old 2nd December 2015
Lives for gear

I'll be testing the new Apollo 8 tomorrow and I can compare it with my Orpheus. I'll let you know my opinion on it.
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

So, I've been testing an Apollo 8 QUAD these last days and so far I'm really liking it. Here's what I can tell you already about it, mostly compared to my Orpheus.

The Apollo is way better built than the Orpheus. In fact, the Apollo is probably the sturdiest and best finished interface I've used. Incredibly solid switches and knobs, and I mean that in a good way. Very robust and heavy case with a nice high quality black finish that feels great when handled. Unpacking the Apollo feels like unpacking an high-end/fancy tech product, it is quite an experience. A bit on the wasteful side though - to much carton and plastic - but everything was certainly well packed and all the packaging was graphically appealing and top quality. UA spared no expense.

Function wise it is a better unit than the Orpheus. And I'm not even considering the fact that there's an UAD inside it, I'm talking only in regards to the interface. Things like having a mute switch, dim or mono functions and even the alternate speakers is something that the Orpheus never had and that it should have had from day one. I also like the fact that the Apollo has a fixed meter for the monitor outputs. That means you can configure it to have input meters along with the monitoring output meters, which the Orpheus can't do. That's a really nice feature for mastering, at least for me it is. Even though this isn't a mastering specific interface, it is better suited to a mastering studio when compared to the Orpheus.

The Apollo is quieter and a better sounding unit than the Orpheus on the DA side of things. It has lower noise and distortion overall and because it also has higher I/O levels it all makes for a cleaner signal path. And you can actually hear it. Probably it's because Apollo is running a dedicated monitoring DA path, opposed to what Prism Sound did with the Orpheus where the monitor outs are the same as any other I/O on the unit. The Apollo has a more detailed high-frequency response than the Orpheus, my guess is that the fact the unit has overall better specs translates in that. The low end is a little bass heavier compared to the Orpheus, but at this point I honestly still don't know if that's a good thing or not. It doesn't sound saturated or less detailed than the low end on the Orpheus, if anything it is actually a little tighter and faster than it. But it is louder than what I'm used to, or maybe it is the Orpheus that has a shy low end, so at this point I'm not exactly sure and I need to spend more time with the unit to get accustomed to it. In any case, my impression is that the Apollo translates better and sounds better than the Orpheus. It's not a night and day difference but it feels like a solid step up from the Orpheus. I still haven't done much listening to the AD side of the Apollo but if it's anything like the DA I'm expecting it to also be an improvement over the Orpheus.

I'll probably post more about this during this week but I've already decided I'm keeping the Apollo. It's a better interface than the Orpheus and it has the huge advantage of also being an UAD-2. Plus, I received a free Satellite QUAD which means I have a OCTO UAD-2 system, which is always a nice addition to any studio (and obviously a great deal).
Old 6th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbmastering View Post
So, I've been testing an Apollo 8 QUAD these last days and so far I'm really liking it. Here's what I can tell you already about it, mostly compared to my Orpheus.

The Apollo is way better built than the Orpheus. In fact, the Apollo is probably the sturdiest and best finished interface I've used. Incredibly solid switches and knobs, and I mean that in a good way. Very robust and heavy case with a nice high quality black finish that feels great when handled. Unpacking the Apollo feels like unpacking an high-end/fancy tech product, it is quite an experience. A bit on the wasteful side though - to much carton and plastic - but everything was certainly well packed and all the packaging was graphically appealing and top quality. UA spared no expense.

Function wise it is a better unit than the Orpheus. And I'm not even considering the fact that there's an UAD inside it, I'm talking only in regards to the interface. Things like having a mute switch, dim or mono functions and even the alternate speakers is something that the Orpheus never had and that it should have had from day one. I also like the fact that the Apollo has a fixed meter for the monitor outputs. That means you can configure it to have input meters along with the monitoring output meters, which the Orpheus can't do. That's a really nice feature for mastering, at least for me it is. Even though this isn't a mastering specific interface, it is better suited to a mastering studio when compared to the Orpheus.

The Apollo is quieter and a better sounding unit than the Orpheus on the DA side of things. It has lower noise and distortion overall and because it also has higher I/O levels it all makes for a cleaner signal path. And you can actually hear it. Probably it's because Apollo is running a dedicated monitoring DA path, opposed to what Prism Sound did with the Orpheus where the monitor outs are the same as any other I/O on the unit. The Apollo has a more detailed high-frequency response than the Orpheus, my guess is that the fact the unit has overall better specs translates in that. The low end is a little bass heavier compared to the Orpheus, but at this point I honestly still don't know if that's a good thing or not. It doesn't sound saturated or less detailed than the low end on the Orpheus, if anything it is actually a little tighter and faster than it. But it is louder than what I'm used to, or maybe it is the Orpheus that has a shy low end, so at this point I'm not exactly sure and I need to spend more time with the unit to get accustomed to it. In any case, my impression is that the Apollo translates better and sounds better than the Orpheus. It's not a night and day difference but it feels like a solid step up from the Orpheus. I still haven't done much listening to the AD side of the Apollo but if it's anything like the DA I'm expecting it to also be an improvement over the Orpheus.

I'll probably post more about this during this week but I've already decided I'm keeping the Apollo. It's a better interface than the Orpheus and it has the huge advantage of also being an UAD-2. Plus, I received a free Satellite QUAD which means I have a OCTO UAD-2 system, which is always a nice addition to any studio (and obviously a great deal).
Very informative! I'm excited to receive my Apollo16. Any update on the AD side of your test?
Old 6th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Very informative! I'm excited to receive my Apollo16. Any update on the AD side of your test?
Not yet, during this next week I'll try and use the Apollo in some mastering sessions and then I should have more feedback on it.

By the way, looking at both units specs, the Apollo 16 should be even quieter and have less noise/distortion than the Apollo 8. I know most folks on GS don't really care about specs but these new Apollo's are indeed best in class regarding to noise and distortion performances.
Old 7th December 2015
Lives for gear

I think I need to amend my initial review of the Apollo. It is a night and day of difference to the Orpheus. Listening to AD/DA loops done with the Orpheus now makes me sad. So much distortion and lack of clarity/detail compared to a AD/DA loop done with the Apollo. The AD on the Apollo is also pretty awesome.
Old 7th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think I need to amend my initial review of the Apollo. It is a night and day of difference to the Orpheus. Listening to AD/DA loops done with the Orpheus now makes me sad. So much distortion and lack of clarity/detail compared to a AD/DA loop done with the Apollo. The AD on the Apollo is also pretty awesome.
Really? WOW! I know the orpheus is highly regarded so this is pretty surprising.

Old 12th December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by once a roadie View Post
On a Mac, is it possible to use an apogee ensemble as the main interface and also have an Apollo twin connected which would only be used to run UAD plugins...? I am thinking that could be fairly versatile...
Yes. But... if you don't want the Apollo as an audio interface, you could get more processing at the same price from UAD's Satellite line.

I have personally had an Ensemble and a Twin Duo connected to an iMac 27 inch Core I7 (during a transition period). Inside your DAW, you just select which interface you want to use. The UAD processors keep running plug ins, even if you're not using the interface.
Old 12th December 2015
Quote:
Thank you for that update. Useful stuff here. I know some people start going on about how "it's not the gear," but for mastering purposes, it does matter.
Old 15th December 2015
Gear Nut
Silver Apollo 8 Vs Black Apollo 8

Very interesting...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search