The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ableton Realtime Performance Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 16th June 2015
Ableton Realtime Performance

Hi,

probably you can give me some insight:

I currently use an external USB audio interface from Native Instruments, named Komplete 6, its connected to an mainboard with an i7 2600k processor.

When i run new VST instruments like Omnisphere 2 , and Diva or Serum,
i start to get dropouts, and the cpu meter is peaking at or over 100% of ableton load.

I know the i7 2600k is not the newest cpu today, but its only 10% slower than the i7 4770k. What do you think would make more sense to upgrade for VST performance ?

A new audio interface, or a new mainboard /cpu?

How many instances of said VST can you run, without spiking on which hardware?
Old 16th June 2015
Here for the gear
You should be able to run quite a few plugins on that hardware.
Check your buffer sizes, and bitrates, and play with them until you get a better sound.

Also, if you're using pirated softare (of course you're not though, right?) they tend to have a few hacks that occasionally get the processes stuck in loops, causing very high CPU usage.
Old 19th June 2015
I only use original licensed software. I got the feedback from spectrasonics to decrase the memory usage for omnisphere, i.e. set it to process limit, instead of 3 gbyte memory max. I havent tried that yet, but I will do it during the weekend.

Cant somebody shed some insight, if a better audio interface, helps to run more plugins at the same time? Or is that just for playback capability?
Old 25th June 2015
Bump , sorry i really need some help.
Old 25th June 2015
Have you selected the dedicated ASIO driver for that interface, not the "low latency generic ASIO driver"?
Old 6th July 2015
Yes, i did that, resetting my interface to 48 khz instead of 96khz solved the issue. At least i can now handle one omnisphere instance without problems. The memory setting did nothing for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search