The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mackie 1640i and Windows 8 - No drivers available for "003" serial number
Old 10th June 2015
Here for the gear
Mackie 1640i and Windows 8 - No drivers available for "003" serial number

HI I just bought a 2nd hand Mackie 1640i with the "003" serial number. I notice on the Mackie driver page that it only has a driver up to windows 7.

I bit the bullet and went with a windows 8 system. I have a SIIG firewire card coming with the TI chipset.

Plan to use with Pro Tools 11 (non HD)

Anyone know what Im going to have to do to get drivers that work (if anything?). Mackie have disappeared on this one and offering nothing and cant find much online. Im hoping that I can find an answer rather than going back to windows 7.

Any help or anyone with experience in this area would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 10th June 2015
Lives for gear
get another external drive and load win 7 on it. Boot to the external drive when using the 1640i.

You don't have much choice. Mackie is notorious for dropping driver support after their product is a few years old.

I use a Macbook to track (will not upgrade OS or 1640i may not work). I track to an ext drive and when done, connect the external drive to my Imac and use a motu interface for mixing.

I have multiple drives with different OS's also for the Imac so if needed I can boot to a different OS if needed to get around these type of issues.
Old 11th June 2015
Lives for gear

I'd try the W7 drivers first and see if it works.
Often Windows drivers will work fine over different versions.
Old 12th June 2015
Here for the gear
Thanks for the quick responses! Yep tried the Windows 7 Drivers. Windows 8 picks up the 1640i. When I loaded Pro Tools it mentioned an incompatible audio device and closed. I reloaded and it found the 1640i in there and set it up in the I/O with all 16 channels. I could not get audio to return via firewire but I could record via firewire into PT12 (actually ended up installing PT12 not PT11).

Going to load PT onto my Windows 7 machine and see if it works.

I can go back to Windows 7 on my new machine but man its gonna be a hastle starting all the installs from scratch and it basically means I wont be able to upgrade.

Mackie support basically said they wont be able to help, as expected.

What a shame, great product but not able to move with the times.

Will come back with how it goes.
Old 12th June 2015
Here for the gear
OK gets weird now. Shut everything down on the windows 8 machine, restarted and loaded everything up without changing anything. Got the message from PT12 that it couldn't find the audio interface and shut down. Then restarted and everything worked fine.

Loaded up a 16 track session and brought all the channels into the 1640i with Firewire no problems.

So it seems it works, hopefully its stable enough once everything is connected for there not to be any issues.

Will wait and see how I go when I have to start adjusting buffer sizes etc.

Thanks for your input.
Old 12th June 2015
Lives for gear

I find if I turn on the Mackie before turning on the computer, it will always recognise it.
If I turn on the computer first, it may or may not connect properly.
Old 17th June 2015
Here for the gear
Yeah running into issues now. Get random bursts of distortion and what sounds like bit depth or sample rate issues. Can't stay synced which is weird. I don't drop the connection but it randomly goes haywire.

Funny thing is I installed pt12on a windows 7 machine and it's no different. So Im guessing it may be a pro tools thing.

Will probably get rid of the 1640i and get something else which is a shame because I designed my setup around this board. It's a bit of a detractor from mackie for me. Can't see how they can have a product that is the same model but has two serial numbers which basically means you are screwed if you have the old one. Was gonna buy more mackie gear but the experience has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Really appreciate everyone's comments. Very hard to find info online about this combo. Now I know how a guinea pig feels.
Old 3rd September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie_dean View Post
Yeah running into issues now. Get random bursts of distortion and what sounds like bit depth or sample rate issues. Can't stay synced which is weird. I don't drop the connection but it randomly goes haywire.

Funny thing is I installed pt12on a windows 7 machine and it's no different. So Im guessing it may be a pro tools thing.

Will probably get rid of the 1640i and get something else which is a shame because I designed my setup around this board. It's a bit of a detractor from mackie for me. Can't see how they can have a product that is the same model but has two serial numbers which basically means you are screwed if you have the old one. Was gonna buy more mackie gear but the experience has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Really appreciate everyone's comments. Very hard to find info online about this combo. Now I know how a guinea pig feels.
Mackie support sux.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search