The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
motu 828 mkII Audio Interfaces
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

motu 828 mkII

It's obviously 2015 and I've had this now for about 6 year's.

It's never let me down and I'm still get great sounding mixes/hybrid set-up.

It's ment to have really good converters.

Should I be looking at uprating or just stick with it.

I've a lot of half finished projects so I only consider myself as hobbyist at the moment.

What do you guys think.

Cheers Louis
Old 30th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by louis1 View Post
It's obviously 2015 and I've had this now for about 6 year's.

It's never let me down and I'm still get great sounding mixes/hybrid set-up.

It's ment to have really good converters.

Should I be looking at uprating or just stick with it.

I've a lot of half finished projects so I only consider myself as hobbyist at the moment.

What do you guys think.

Cheers Louis
I have a MOTU 828mkII. With the exception of the mic/instrument preamps, it's been a mostly solid, reliable unit, particularly after I switched from WDM-KS drivers (under XP) to VST (under Win 7 -- I'd tried VST under XP but it had been hinky; others had no problem). The other 'exception' to the reliability issue was the previous need to do an occasional 'full reset' of the hardware, which is a quick enough operation and only needed doing once every few months at the worst and maybe every few years since then (if that).

That said, while I don't have wide critical listening experience with the latest converters, I think there's a perception among at least some that some other, newer and perhaps more expensive boxes have somewhat better sound. I, myself, was half-convinced early on that the MOTU was not quite as good as the two channel box I'd replaced -- until I sat down and did a straight across (sighted) comparison. I was remembering the old box as sounding more defined/delicate at the top end. When I forced myself to actually compare, I was a bit surprised to find I liked the MOTU better. Go figure.

(Of course, this wasn't ABX and even if I 'expected' different results, the human mind is a thing of great susceptibility to influence and suggestion. Maybe my imagination was feeling perverse that day and wanted to 'please' me for once. At any rate, when compared, I decided that they were close enough and the practical advantages of the MOTU great enough that I wasn't going to pursue it farther.)
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I have a MOTU 828mkII. With the exception of the mic/instrument preamps, it's been a mostly solid, reliable unit, particularly after I switched from WDM-KS drivers (under XP) to VST (under Win 7 -- I'd tried VST under XP but it had been hinky; others had no problem). The other 'exception' to the reliability issue was the previous need to do an occasional 'full reset' of the hardware, which is a quick enough operation and only needed doing once every few months at the worst and maybe every few years since then (if that).

That said, while I don't have wide critical listening experience with the latest converters, I think there's a perception among at least some that some other, newer and perhaps more expensive boxes have somewhat better sound. I, myself, was half-convinced early on that the MOTU was not quite as good as the two channel box I'd replaced -- until I sat down and did a straight across (sighted) comparison. I was remembering the old box as sounding more defined/delicate at the top end. When I forced myself to actually compare, I was a bit surprised to find I liked the MOTU better. Go figure.

(Of course, this wasn't ABX and even if I 'expected' different results, the human mind is a thing of great susceptibility to influence and suggestion. Maybe my imagination was feeling perverse that day and wanted to 'please' me for once. At any rate, when compared, I decided that they were close enough and the practical advantages of the MOTU great enough that I wasn't going to pursue it farther.)
Well thanks for your quick response. And I value your opinion.

anyway one else want to chime in!!!
Old 31st May 2015
It was kind of a wishy washy opinion. heh I guess I feel like I have to stick up for it as having served me overall pretty well -- and, touch wood, I'm hoping it continues to do so. But, you know, time marches on and if one was wont to spend new money, I'm thinking there might be some stuff that would be an improvement in one or more ways... I mean, that is the way of stuff, by and large.
Old 31st May 2015
Lives for gear

I'm currently using a MOTU 828 mkII. I like it just fine. The converters sound great to my ear, a bit better than the 2 Saffire Pro40's I also have here laying around. It's also a more stable unit, all around functionally. Very good unit for the dough. Lost my panel LED's though. That's a pain. Home fixable, and I'll get around to it one of these days.
Old 31st May 2015
rez
Lives for gear

another satisfied user here! have mine since 2006 and it still does all i need. i even did some classical and choir recordings at 96k with it (with an analog mixer as a frontend for the mike pres and a nice collection of neuman, akg and beyerdynamic mikes) and also some singer songwriter stuff with only a pair of astonishing schoeps mikes, and there the built in mike pres were also very usable.
i don´t feel a need to part with this interface in the near future and if i nee more in/outs i will probably just add a used motu 2408mkII over adat to get eight more line ins.
sometimes the unit "forgets" its settings but i haven´t figured out what is causing this as i use it in different modes standalone and with a computer, sometimes directly connected sometimes in a chain with a external harddrive. after the years i know how to operate the front panel, so it is just a matter of quick adjusting my settings back.
also i like the fact that it works with my new laptop at home and when i bring it to the rehearsal room it just works with the ancient blue and white mac from what 2001 or so?

peace, rez
Old 31st May 2015
Deleted User
Glad I sold mine, took the blanket right off the sound that was smearing everything when I moved to the Steinberg MR816X

CueMix Console on MOTU kills the Steinberg though. Sound quality, no comparison. My wife could even hear it
Old 31st May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Glad I sold mine, took the blanket right off the sound that was smearing everything when I moved to the Steinberg MR816X

CueMix Console on MOTU kills the Steinberg though. Sound quality, no comparison. My wife could even hear it
This ^^^^

AD side is usable at best, but the the DA leaves much to be desired. And forget those awful mic preamps. However, the drivers, reliability and CueMix are all good stuff.

-dd
Old 31st May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Was your experience of this blanket lifted off just itb or do u work hybrid work flo.

Made me laugh about the missis even noticed because I always ask for my wife's opinions as she's always around even though there's a bit of eye rolling ha
Old 31st May 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Was your experience of this blanket lifted off just itb or do u work hybrid work flo.

Made me laugh about the missis even noticed because I always ask for my wife's opinions as she's always around even though there's a bit of eye rolling ha
ITB
Old 1st June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
ITB
Interesting, makes me wonder if it does hold me back a little. But I love it when I switch my desk/out board in as it really adds that record weight that sounds so right!!

Sorry if this is a bit of topic but should I be looking at getting a dac
.could I incorporate a dac with my motu and if so where would I put it.

I mean I still might upgrade my motu.not to sure but even if I did would I still need a good dac!!!

Cheers Louis
Old 1st June 2015
Deleted User
You can put a good DAC on the ADAT or SPDIF out to the DAC unit.

Im guessing from what everyone has said that the newer 828X is a huge improvement on the MOTU. If it were me I would upgrade the interface FIRST, then see If I still needed to change the DAC
Old 1st June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Im guessing from what everyone has said that the newer 828X is a huge improvement on the MOTU. If it were me I would upgrade the interface FIRST, then see If I still needed to change the DAC
Sounds like good advice, is there a good to price ratio of dac, that people seem to favour or is it like everything else you can just keep going silly money!!!
Old 1st June 2015
Lives for gear

And thanks for everyone 's input really appreciated.
Old 1st June 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Sounds like good advice, is there a good to price ratio of dac, that people seem to favour or is it like everything else you can just keep going silly money!!!
This You can be straining at a nat with it. I/O is first IMO, then if you have an issue look at the AD/DA. Thats why its best to get great I/O then its not an issue.

It depends how many channels you need if your going out the box and back in as well.
Old 1st June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
This You can be straining at a nat with it. I/O is first IMO, then if you have an issue look at the AD/DA. Thats why its best to get great I/O then its not an issue.

It depends how many channels you need if your going out the box and back in as well.
At the moment I'm happy with four stereo groups even though I have a 16 channel mixer. So that's 4 groups independently EQ. Plus out board comps on each. Just wondered if I may be missing something...

To me it sounds very nice indeed!!!!.

But we just want to keep going further ha.
Old 25th June 2015
Lives for gear

Motu new range

Quote:

I know if already quoted you on this ,but is there a new range better conversion wise than the 828x

Cheers Louis
Old 26th June 2015
Deleted User
Who knows, youd have to ask MOTU on that I wold think
Old 27th June 2015
Lives for gear

Or can any one else chime in if any of you out there have had experience sound quality wise with 828x and there latest range.

Cheers Louis
Old 28th June 2015
I've had my 828 MKII since 2002? I think

I recently upgraded to a UA Apollo. I've been loving it! I keep the 828 around as a sub mixer for my synths. It's still going strong!
Old 28th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by channaD View Post
I've had my 828 MKII since 2002? I think

I recently upgraded to a UA Apollo. I've been loving it! I keep the 828 around as a sub mixer for my synths. It's still going strong!
So, basically the UA Apollo stonks all over the mKII sound wise ? converter wise, and not placebo having spent wallet,,,,

I know the UA plugs are good as i have probably 70% of them.

Cheers Louis.
Old 28th June 2015

Quote:
So, basically the UA Apollo stonks all over the mKII sound wise ? converter wise, and not placebo having spent wallet,,,,

I know the UA plugs are good as i have probably 70% of them.

Cheers Louis.
Absolutely. No comparison. Apollo is much much better sounding. The converters, headphone amp, and mic preamps blow away the 828mkII. It is not subtle. One would have to be deaf to disagree.

However, the MOTU firewire driver was always rock solid, unlike the Apollo firewire driver, which for me, was the deal breaker as it was utterly broken and useless. Lost a lot of coin reselling my Apollo.

I sold the Apollo and went Metric Halo. I am now forever a Metric Halo user. I don't care to try anything else if I don't have to. There are no words to describe how amazing this company and their products are.

-dd
Old 29th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Demulling View Post
Absolutely. No comparison. Apollo is much much better sounding. The converters, headphone amp, and mic preamps blow away the 828mkII. It is not subtle. One would have to be deaf to disagree.

However, the MOTU firewire driver was always rock solid, unlike the Apollo firewire driver, which for me, was the deal breaker as it was utterly broken and useless. Lost a lot of coin reselling my Apollo.

I sold the Apollo and went Metric Halo. I am now forever a Metric Halo user. I don't care to try anything else if I don't have to. There are no words to describe how amazing this company and their products are.

-dd
Cool, which one did you get plus i wonder how these Metric are to the latest motu thunderbolt range, anyone!!!

Cheers Louis
Old 29th June 2015
Lives for gear

I had a 828 mk2 from 2003. It broke and I bought a ULN2. The ULN2 is noticeable better in terms of preamps and conversion. I wouldn't say the 828 was that bad, but the MH unit does blow it away.

But, if you are happy with the results you are getting with the 828 no need to spend more money.
Old 29th June 2015

Quote:
Cool, which one did you get plus i wonder how these Metric are to the latest motu thunderbolt range, anyone!!!

Cheers Louis
Hi Louis,

I had an original Apollo (8).

I am slightly curious how the new MOTU boxes sound as it seems they have come a long way.

-dd
Old 29th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Demulling View Post

-dd
sucks that your Apollo didn't work that well for you. I have my connected via Thunderbolt, and I've had no problems...except that I need more I/O...that's why I still keep the 828 around. Gives me another 8 analog in. I hope to get an Apollo 16 to expand but the MOTU will do for now!
Old 29th June 2015
Lives for gear

If ITB, the DA conversion should null. I've tested over 20 interfaces from ULN-8 to Apogee and as far as internal conversion quality everything nulls. The only DA converter I tested that didn't nulls was a tube DAC that somehow routed audio through a tube and rendered the tube altered audio digitally.

So I doubt you're going to get better "conversion quality" out of another interface. Look tag things like pre-amp, line in quality, and analog out headroom and quality.
Old 6th July 2015
Lives for gear

Well thanks for all your input guys, To me my moth sounds just fine but you don't know if somethings better till you can make a comparison.

Very interesting what above poster In there had to say, can i ask which interface your using.

cheers Louis
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search