The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bitwig 1.1.8 vs Studio one 3? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 24th May 2015
  #1
Gear Head
 

Bitwig 1.1.8 vs Studio one 3?

these two are my top right now. other daws are irrelevant to me at this point

discussss. differences advantage disadvantages between the two.

i personally think presonus is too cluttered but sounds so stellar or maybe i just havent tinkered with it that much.
they said the piano roll of studio one 3 is good with the scales being displayed for now thats the only thing i know about their piano roll lol.
bitwig is just too easy too fast too good 1ups everyone for sure. cant beat the automation on this thing. and im rly inlove with automation.
Old 24th May 2015
  #2
Lives for gear
 

To me it depends on what you want to do. Bitwig for now is focused on composition or song writing. They have that Ableton like workflow which is great. They have some cool innovative things like the way plugins are a separate process than the application preventing a plugin from crashing your app and with he added benefit that you can un 32-bit and 64bit plugins. The application is pretty fast and runs very well. I haven't actively compared performance between the two but they are similar imo. In-terms of midi editing Bitwig has some cool things going for it. S1 has some nice midi features but so far that has not been it's focus.

Bitwig minuses for me is that it adheres too much to Ableton's UI and there are some things I really don't like about Ableton like having that small ass window for the instruments without the ability to resize anything. As of now no resizable meters in mixing view. The UI while snappy and and has some nice animations, is a bit rough around the edges imo with very little customization. '

If recording audio is your thing right now S1 is the better choice, if you are working on EDM or beats then maybe give Bigwig a try. There are demos for both so I would try both of them.
Old 24th May 2015
  #3
Gear Head
 

correct me if im wrong i quite dont understand the mixer part about what you said but i think theres is something that makes the mixer big go press tab or go to the mixer page and i think its at the bottom right just youll notice it once you hover around it
it says show big meter of tracks

bitwig pretty much sold me my favorite super fast. navigations a breeze. cool sounds/samples/loops! i just downloaded 1.1.8 and that cristian vogel pack man damnn made me love bitwig a whole lot more
Old 24th May 2015
  #4
i jsut got studio one 3 and am loving it. haven't used bitwig yet but love what studio one offers compared to cubsae
Old 24th May 2015
  #5
Lives for gear
 

S1 is more mature (Bitwig is only 1 year old), but Bitwig is much more revolutionary in its workflow concepts (not just compared to S1, compared to everything). It has immense potential. Their devs are making steady progress on it as well. 1.2 is slated for an imminent release. I recommend you try the demo.
Old 24th May 2015
  #6
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified View Post
S1 is more mature (Bitwig is only 1 year old), but Bitwig is much more revolutionary in its workflow concepts (not just compared to S1, compared to everything). It has immense potential. Their devs are making steady progress on it as well. 1.2 is slated for an imminent release. I recommend you try the demo.
excited for 1.2 for real! as time goes by they get so much better like the updates is more felt than any other daw maybe because its already good. if u get what i mean just my opinion tho.
Old 24th May 2015
  #7
Lives for gear
Studio One 3. I did try bitwig a while back to see what all the fuss was about, but as mainly audio recording/mixer type it was completely not what I want from a DAW (I also found the GUI akin to an iphone/ipad app and very much orientated towards the EDM/Fruity/Ableton guys). Studio One on the other hand is like a dream come true for my usage-scenario. So yeah, it'll depend mainly on what you want from your "DAW" and what kind of music, and how, you make it (even if you can do all types in all apps - certain ones have their strengths).
Old 25th May 2015
  #8
Lives for gear
 
HamHat's Avatar
 

Bitwig for creation, S13 for mixing / mastering.
Old 25th May 2015
  #9
Lives for gear
 

First post!

I used to own bitwig, but there were just too many quirks with it. Development goes in spurts. When I bought it there was quite a lot of updates such and then after announcing the "big" news, it's really slowed. Plus it's pretty terrible CPU use. Great resale policy though, nice company.

I currently own S1 2.6.5 and it's pretty nice. V3 has a ways to go, too many bugs right now (will be interesting to see how fast they are on top of it) CPU use is even worse (I you can imagine that) but the feature set is awesome! So when/if they iron out the bugs, it's gonna be a butt-kicker sans the CPU issue (which has been there forever and is obviously not going to be addressed)
Old 25th May 2015
  #10
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovessuperstrats View Post
First post!

I used to own bitwig, but there were just too many quirks with it. Development goes in spurts. When I bought it there was quite a lot of updates such and then after announcing the "big" news, it's really slowed. Plus it's pretty terrible CPU use. Great resale policy though, nice company.

I currently own S1 2.6.5 and it's pretty nice. V3 has a ways to go, too many bugs right now (will be interesting to see how fast they are on top of it) CPU use is even worse (I you can imagine that) but the feature set is awesome! So when/if they iron out the bugs, it's gonna be a butt-kicker sans the CPU issue (which has been there forever and is obviously not going to be addressed)
yeah man i as well think s1's cpu usage sucks more than bitwig. bitwig is pretty fast to me! and to think s1 is how many yrs old is it again? not hating tho just stating a fact.
Old 25th May 2015
  #11
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Sad to read about S1 cpu use like that.

Was hoping to read the opposite stuff. Got Bitwig and agree, although Bitwig is nippy around the corners and feels light, if you put a couple of hog plugins in there it almost dies to a stop on my laptop. Which is a hackintosh with an i7 quad inside. Not amazing bus speed, as upgraded, but still does a fair bit more on Logic. Got SKnote SDC the other day, which rocks, but kills the cpu unfortunately.....

Still, S1 one is interesting as I am definitely in the DAWs have a sound idewntity camp, and both Bitwig and S1 v2 that I tried ages ago definitely have a great sound to them. Logic X is not bad either, but those two just sing in a cool way very easily.......might have to try the S1 v3 demo and see.

One question, has the arpeggiator got swing percentage on S1?
Old 25th May 2015
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
One question, has the arpeggiator got swing percentage on S1?
Yes it has. Gate is working great too.
Has anybody an idea for a replacement ?
Old 25th May 2015
  #13
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
Yes it has. Gate is working great too.
Has anybody an idea for a replacement ?
Nice, thank you. One more to me important box ticked.....hmmmmm. Starting to think my efforts to avoid demoing yet another DAW are about to fail.....
Old 1st June 2015
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Sad to read about S1 cpu use like that.

Was hoping to read the opposite stuff. Got Bitwig and agree, although Bitwig is nippy around the corners and feels light, if you put a couple of hog plugins in there it almost dies to a stop on my laptop. Which is a hackintosh with an i7 quad inside. Not amazing bus speed, as upgraded, but still does a fair bit more on Logic. Got SKnote SDC the other day, which rocks, but kills the cpu unfortunately.....

Still, S1 one is interesting as I am definitely in the DAWs have a sound idewntity camp, and both Bitwig and S1 v2 that I tried ages ago definitely have a great sound to them. Logic X is not bad either, but those two just sing in a cool way very easily.......might have to try the S1 v3 demo and see.

One question, has the arpeggiator got swing percentage on S1?
This is really a drag with the VST world. Short history here: LSS, it's pretty much (using the exact same plugs with the exact same computer/from less to more) reaper, live, sonar (normal nothing to worry about cpu use) and then S1 with bitwig being the worst.

I'll be happy to go more into details if it matters to anyone, but minutia may not matter here. I think that frankly, reports are consistent if you look over let's say the same hosts over the last 2 years.

One other thing, I'm a "bedroom" guy who loves gear. I like to do it all, from synths, to slate digital goodies, to drums (electric/acoustic) to whatever. And I feel personally for my talent level, it's "there" quality wise. But even though I have a really KA computer, STILL daw's vary greatly in use (same computer, same specs)
Old 1st June 2015
  #15
Gear Addict
 

I'd say Bitwig for EDM production, Studio One for everything else. I've been using S1 since 2011 (PT and Cubase before that) and I'm loving it! Worflow in S1 is something I've been looking for a long time. As for CPU increase in V3 I think it's random/configuration/OS dependent, I haven't noticed it at all (Win7)
Old 5th July 2015
  #16
Lives for gear
 

I just got bitwig, after trash talking it in the past when I was still an Ableton fanboy. I tried the demo and fell in love with it. Ableton is cool too, but bitwig seems a lot snappier.
Old 5th July 2015
  #17
Just curious, why especially does it have to be bitwig, why not Ableton?
Seems Ableton has a lot more to offer.
Old 5th July 2015
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

I demoed Bitwig for some time, it's a cool DAW I think. The workflow is nice, awesome options for routing effect parameters to other plugins etc for sound design.
Bitwig also has the things I felt was missing in Ableton when I demoed that. A good mixer (you can resize the meters, set them to "big meters") and a way to see the plugins on each track similar to Logic/Cubase and other linear DAWs.

One thing (not the only) that really put me off Bitwig however was the performance when you have a lot of regions. It's fine when you are zoomed in. But zoom out a full arrangement with a lot of regions and the GUI will lag like crazy. Maybe due to the language they used to code the interface but that part did not sit well with me. I often zoom out big arrangements to select large parts to copy/paste etc.

I sure will keep an eye on them however and see what the future brings.
Old 5th July 2015
  #19
Lives for gear
 
feck's Avatar
I don't have any CPU issues with S1 at all. I compose at 64 buffer size unless I'm doing massive string/orchestral templates. Works like a charm.
Old 5th July 2015
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinh222 View Post
Just curious, why especially does it have to be bitwig, why not Ableton?
Seems Ableton has a lot more to offer.
Ableton lacks in a lot of areas. It takes a lot longer to load than bitwig. It has a less responsive Gui. The arrangement view is ugly and small. You can't bounce a midi instrument track to audio in place like in bitwig. Bitwig runs 32 and 64 bit plugins at the same time. Ableton runs only one or the other. Bitwig doesnt crash if a plugin crashes because it uses containers for plugins. The browser view is a lot better and more organized. Bitwig has a good plugin delay compensation. Feels snappier than Ableton. I just got bitwig yesterday and I'm considering selling ableton. I asked the same question as you last year. I haven't run into anything I do in Ableton that I can't do in bitwig. It's really a phenomenal daw.
Old 5th July 2015
  #21
Lives for gear
 

I'm joining Feck in this regard. V3 of Studio One is an awesome daw workflow wise. Just keep in mind. Cubase, Logic and Reaper use the hybrid engine approach. Putting playback tracks on a higher buffer than record enabled VI tracks.
Old 6th July 2015
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy
Ableton lacks in a lot of areas. It takes a lot longer to load than bitwig. It has a less responsive Gui. The arrangement view is ugly and small. You can't bounce a midi instrument track to audio in place like in bitwig. Bitwig runs 32 and 64 bit plugins at the same time. Ableton runs only one or the other. Bitwig doesnt crash if a plugin crashes because it uses containers for plugins. The browser view is a lot better and more organized. Bitwig has a good plugin delay compensation. Feels snappier than Ableton. I just got bitwig yesterday and I'm considering selling ableton. I asked the same question as you last year. I haven't run into anything I do in Ableton that I can't do in bitwig. It's really a phenomenal daw.
I dont mean to start an argument here or anything but...

Longer session loading times isn't really a limitation
The arrangement view can be resized in Ableton and displayed in a 2nd monitor
There's no logical reason to run both 32 and 64 bit plugins given all venders make both
Ableton rarely crashes due to constant crash report updates
Ableton 9.2 now has delay compensation
You can bounce midi to an audio track and keep the midi via the output sends
Also I dont know what you mean by Ableton looking ugly. As a long time Protools user I find it quite neat and tidy. The objective is to make music, why should the color of the screen matter?
Old 6th July 2015
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I don't have any CPU issues with S1 at all. I compose at 64 buffer size unless I'm doing massive string/orchestral templates. Works like a charm.
Always enjoy pulling up someones soundcloud and liking the stuff I hear

But seems to be about 50/50 for users. In my case it's been 3 different computers, two different sound cards and certain things frack with it the same way. But yeah, there are people who get on nicely. Sure would be nice to know why (their optimizing instructions didn't even help a little)

Anyways, I'm over it and have moved on from them completely. Nice DAW, would be nice to figure out the magic seed.

EDIT, I guess when I was quoting from another thread I carried over a weird "quote" I think it's fixed now
Old 6th July 2015
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinh222 View Post
I dont mean to start an argument here or anything but...

Longer session loading times isn't really a limitation
The arrangement view can be resized in Ableton and displayed in a 2nd monitor
There's no logical reason to run both 32 and 64 bit plugins given all venders make both
Ableton rarely crashes due to constant crash report updates
Ableton 9.2 now has delay compensation
You can bounce midi to an audio track and keep the midi via the output sends
Also I dont know what you mean by Ableton looking ugly. As a long time Protools user I find it quite neat and tidy. The objective is to make music, why should the color of the screen matter?
Longer session loading times means that when Ableton crashes, I have to wait until it loads.

I know the arrangement view can be resized, but I don't the appearance of the tracks and how the color is always the same on everything... I want a contrast between the arrangement section and the rest of the program, just so it's easier to focus on where you need to be. If you look at Ableton, all you see is a big grey/greyish blob from far away. Granted, Ableton is nice cause you can change the color template, but still, everything gets the same color.




VS




You say Ableton rarely crashes and you're right. It's a lot better than 8. I have 9.2 Suite and I happened to have a fresh installation on a fresh brand new SSD running Mavericks on a 16 Gig 3.6 Ghz i7 iMac with turbo boost. It still crashes about once a day. Not a big deal, and it's nice that you can open up back where you left off.

About the bits. While all vendors make 64 bit now, there are many plugins which don't exist in 64 bit that I use such as Refx Vanguard, SonikSynth2, Sampletank, and Miroslav, among a few others. I also have some Massey effect plugins which are 32 bit only as vsts.

So my gripes with Ableton are mainly cosmetic, although it would be nice to have 64/32 bit support (as jbridge always crashes Ableton), to be able to bounce audio in place (Freezing is of no use to me), and have better metering in mixer view.

Other than that, I still love Ableton, and I'm only this excited about Bitwig because it's an interface I understand from the beginning, so I don't have to tinker around for days to figure out the benefits. I immediately became aware of the benefits to using Bitwig over Ableton. Whether it can compare to Ableton workflow-wise is still to be determined, although I really like how it's looking.


What I wish Ableton and Bitwig would both do is automatically separate VST effects from instruments, like Studio 1 or Pro tools. That would be very helpful.
Old 6th July 2015
  #25
Looking at that screen shot of Bitwig it looks cluttered to me, everything in one place. I guess you'd need dual screen or possibly 3. I still cant figure out why people are into this Bitwig thing though, it maybe cause its the new kid on the block and thus gives the impression its capable of producing something more futuristic compared to Ableton. But compared to other DAWs (especially Protools) you can do pretty much anything in Ableton and fast too.
The effects are supposed to be better in Ableton. Effects are the cornerstone for great music and most synths (even the ones in Omnisphere) are inadequate.
As a new Ableton user Ive explored some of the max for live's and today the standard effects like Grain Delay, there's nothing remotely close to this in Protools. But hey, each to his own. If it works for you then thats what its all about.
Old 6th July 2015
  #26
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinh222 View Post
Looking at that screen shot of Bitwig it looks cluttered to me, everything in one place. I guess you'd need dual screen or possibly 3. I still cant figure out why people are into this Bitwig thing though, it maybe cause its the new kid on the block and thus gives the impression its capable of producing something more futuristic compared to Ableton. But compared to other DAWs (especially Protools) you can do pretty much anything in Ableton and fast too.
The effects are supposed to be better in Ableton. Effects are the cornerstone for great music and most synths (even the ones in Omnisphere) are inadequate.
As a new Ableton user Ive explored some of the max for live's and today the standard effects like Grain Delay, there's nothing remotely close to this in Protools. But hey, each to his own. If it works for you then thats what its all about.
You can't understand what you haven't experienced. Just try it out and see what it feels like to use instead of making up layers upon layers of assumption logic.
Old 6th July 2015
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70
You can't understand what you haven't experienced. Just try it out and see what it feels like to use instead of making up layers upon layers of assumption logic.
Old 6th July 2015
  #28
Lives for gear
 
billcarroll's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I don't have any CPU issues with S1 at all. I compose at 64 buffer size unless I'm doing massive string/orchestral templates. Works like a charm.
I'll side with @ lovessuperstrats ... your soundcloud is pretty suck free

Are you on Studio One v3 full time?
Old 6th July 2015
  #29
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinh222 View Post
You think it warrants a facepalm to suggest you actually try something before trying to rationalise out some nonsense and coming to a conclusion about how useful it is when you haven't even tried it? indeed.

Ask That Other Guy, who was only just saying how he was busy cussing Bitwig before he tried it and whoops, worked out differently in reality it seems. But then maybe you're not into reality.
Old 6th July 2015
  #30
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinh222 View Post
Grade A response buddy, we're all convinced now.

You're the one that brought up Live even after OP said he only wanted to discuss S1 and Bitwig, then made up a bunch of problems Bitwig has when you haven't even used it. You said you're a new Live user, but you've taken up the fanboy anti-Bitwig crusade rather quickly.

OP, I own S1 (v2) and I've been demoing Bitwig. I think Bitwig still needs to grow a bit more, S1 feels pretty complete in comparison. But by V3 Bitwig could be killer.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump