The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Motu 828 mk2, 2408 mk1 and an av receiver Audio Interfaces
Old 20th May 2015
Here for the gear

Motu 828 mk2, 2408 mk1 and an av receiver

Hi,

Currently using an imac 27" with motu 828 mk2 and logic pro 9.
Up to now I was using a yamaha 01v mixer (original) and plugging imac headphone out into stereo channel and out of mixer to Mackie HR824's.

For Logic I'm firewired to the motu and the motu is optical in and out of the 01v mixer so I can route and record whatever I plug in to the mixer.

I also have a stereo monitor out from 01v wired to an av receiver which enables me to watch , surf on a tv with 5.1.

First I found I'd get internal computer noise whilst scrolling web pages and getting ground loop isolators and gates stopped the noise, it also messed with the sound.

Now this doesn't affect Logic as the audio is via firewire, only analogue headphone out is noisy.

I figured going optical out will be the cleanest so tried it to av receiver and this worked fine, no scrolling or high pitch squealy noise anymore and now also av receiver detecting 5.1 audio from VLC so movies and DTS/SACD's all play properly, much better than the av receiver turning stereo analogue into mock surround.

The 01v is also doing weird automatic fader jiggling so have retired it and now want to use the motu 828 mk2 as the hub for the 5.1 tv setup and Logic which means rethinking the setup.

So I plan to go optical out of imac into motu and optical out of motu into av receiver.
Stereo main outs from motu into a Boulder L5AE preamp and xlr out to the HR824's.
Motu sends will go to patch bay where I can insert valve compressor or outboard eq.
Extra inputs will be used for synths.

Q1.

Will the motu pass the optical signal to the av receiver simply or do I have to play around with audio midi settings in utilities?

Q2.

I have an old 2408 mk1 which I used back in the day with an old beige g3 that used a pci card to connect to it.
My primary use then was to work in sync with my Tascam DA88 digtal 8 track.
The 2408 won't connect directly to imac since there's no pci card but there is an "audiowire" slot that looks the same as the firewire 400 ports on the 828mk2.

Can I use the audiowire cable to plug into the firewire to sync them up giving me more inputs to play with?
Old 20th May 2015
Lives for gear

1. Routing in the 828 is acvomplished via the Cuemix software. Basically one stereo mix, of all possible inputs, analog and optical, for each stereo pair of outputs.

2. The Audiowire port on the 2408 is physically identical to a firewire port, can use a firewire cable, but only passes Audiowire proprietary data streams. It will not work into a standard firewire port. However, you can sync the 2408 to the 828 over an optical connection by setting either to Master (or Internal) and running Toslink from its out port to the other's optical In port, and setting it to ADAT sync.
Old 20th May 2015
Here for the gear

Cheers JT for the reply!

Thanks for clearing that up, theoretically it's clear, let's give it a go practically now.

Will post my results
Old 20th May 2015
Here for the gear

Since I'll be using optical out from imac into motu828 which only has 1pair of optical in/out I won't be able to sync that way but there is spdif spare.

It'll basically be the same then, spdif from 2408 to spdif 828 as Master?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search