The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Switching from PC to Mac - Specs?? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 19th May 2015
Here for the gear

Switching from PC to Mac - Specs??

Hey guys,
I'm finally making the switch from PC to MAC after many years and was after some advice.

Do I really need the latest whizz bang i7 for music production? Money's a little tight right now and I'm tossing up options.

Have you noticed much of a difference working with an i5?

Also RAM wise, do you think 8 GB or 16 GB?

I used to work on a i7 pc with 16gb of RAM but I think it might have been a bit of overkill.

I use a lot of Ableton native FX with the occasional VST (prefer to render to audio even when I do)

Do you reckon I could get away with an i5?
Cheers!
Old 19th May 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks man. Yeah I'm aware of how hyper threading works, just never worked on an i5 to compare it to. Agreed with the RAM. When I went from 8GB to 16GB it was a stark contrast. Thanks for the tip though!
Old 19th May 2015
Lives for gear

Macbook Pro (mid 2012) here. i7 Quad Core, 2.6 Ghz, 8GB Ram, SSD. Going really fast, doesn't bother me when putting more plugins than I really need and I am working with sessions of 30-40 tracks max. I also have few VI. I think it's more than I need but I feel good about it because it is letting me to work without any stops. I used HP laptop, dual core, 3GB rams, HDD, I had to freeze tracks here and there but it was also cool piece of machine so I think i5 processor is also okay but not for sessions of 100 tracks and recording 32 inputs live with plugins. Chech out which connection your interface have because 2012 Macbooks are the last to have Firewire. Don't know about external card for it. Also, 2012 models are first to have USB 3.0. Check out in live, if you can, about size of screen. 13" is sometimes too small. I have 15" and it's just right. Best pick for short budget is Mac Mini with some external screen and mouse+keyboard of your choice. However, last models aren't right for the prices so many people are getting earlier models old few years. But as far as portability goes, MacBook Pro is the winner. And yes, you can upgrade Rams and disk after some time, if you feel need for it, but only on 2012 models and earlier. Check that out in detail.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search