The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
profire 2626 vs ssl alphalink MX Audio Interfaces
Old 18th May 2015
Gear Maniac

profire 2626 vs ssl alphalink MX

Hello Everyone, I'm in the market for a new interface with better converters. Right now I own the profire 2626. How much of an improvement would I get by getting the alpha link mx with a madi card? I will be tracking vocals and want to improve the sound quality. Thank you
Old 18th May 2015
hi I've never used a profire 2626, but do use an alphalink AX in ADAT mode.

from what I have heard of the profire 2626 in comparisons its probably just ok, the SSL should be in another league altogether. I imagine you would notice a huge improvement. (depends how you define huge but would expect certainly noticeable improvement)
Old 18th May 2015
I have Profire 2626, and I would say converter is 'decent'.

Are you using 2626's preamp for vocal microphones? If that is the case, buying a dedicated mic preamp and better microphone will improve sound quality, much more dramatic than upgrading converter to SSL-a link.
Old 19th May 2015
i just find there is a noticeable difference, that doesn't need tons of a/b'ing to confirm, between an rme fireface say, which i found to be doing well in the ok converters division (where i would place the profire2626), and the more high end converter sound, which i think the alphalink definitely has.

i also have a prismsound Orpheus + find this quite comparable to the alphalink. i have also had lucid , apogee , mytek converters + found them to have similar highend quality.

i had an maudio once, ok was a firewire 410 a long time ago, + that was ok , maybe profire 2626 in the middle somewhere.

if you can get an alphalink for a good price used i would try it out.

you would of course need a standalone preamp to feed the alphalink , it has no built in pres, this would probably just make it sound even better than the profire using its own preamps as long as you get a half decent pre.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search